Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
crashlanding
Dec 11, 2006

Leading the offense for a fraction of the cost

Martytoof posted:

I was going through some photos I took way back when and

HELLO THIGH RISE :monocle:
You guys are just a community of cheaters. "Ohhhh Kovalchuk's stick is curved 1/4" too much, I can feel it through my 3' thigh rises."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crashlanding
Dec 11, 2006

JungleMan posted:

I signed up to be a forward this year and dammit I'm back on defense :(
With the leagues I play in, once someone finds out you can skate backwards pretty well you're stuck back there forever.

crashlanding
Dec 11, 2006

I have no medical training, but I'm pretty sure if you have a fracture in your foot they can't do much with it anyway.

crashlanding
Dec 11, 2006

80085 posted:

drat, how badly did you guys get murdered in your 1 loss to only have a goal differential of +5?
Well the first place team is averaging wins of 11.4 to 0.8 so I think that's the problem. How can that be fun for them?

crashlanding
Dec 11, 2006

Martytoof posted:

That's right, you know how awesome we are :cool:
My goalie gave up 5 goals on 14 shots in a must win game. Luckily we were able to score 9 on 40 but seriously, what the hell? It was a tie game with 8 minutes left.

crashlanding
Dec 11, 2006

Martytoof posted:

they need me more than I need to be there
Do we ever! I was running a drop-in for a while and I would do everything in my power to try to get two goalies to show up. If anyone pissed off one of the goalies enough to make them think of leaving we'd gently caress with the skater and try to appease the goalie with free beer afterwards.

crashlanding
Dec 11, 2006

I played goalie the other night for the first time and holy poo poo is it 1000x harder than it looks. We were playing 3 on 3 on a studio (tiny) rink and I got torched so many times. It was fun though, except for the parts where I nearly killed myself because the goalie skates I borrowed had absolutely no edge. I guess goalies prefer to have mega dull skates in comparison to skaters. There were just so many times that I was facing a breakaway and was backing in and when I went to make the big push across to follow the shooter my skates would just slide out from under me and I'd fall straight down.

I can see how pickup can be really frustrating as pickup means no defense. I wanted to face shots and I wanted to challenge at the top of the crease so whenever someone had the puck with a good shooting opportunity they just dished it off to the guy standing at the post who was completely uncovered. I don't have the mobility to contend with that crap. :argh:

Anyway, it was hard as hell and I really wonder how butterfly goalies do it. Every time someone was shooting I felt like there wasn't enough time to go down and cover the bottom part of the net so I just played standup for the most part.

crashlanding
Dec 11, 2006

Martytoof posted:

I tell you what though, when you stop a 2-0 break, there is no better feeling in the world, and pretty much everybody on the ice lets you know it :cool:
Oh definitely, I had maybe two pretty good saves and one was a 2-0 where I dove across and gloved the one timer. Saves like that can keep you coming back I guess. :cool:

crashlanding
Dec 11, 2006

Rick Grimes posted:

Some goalies bring water onto the floor at Epic. I just keep it on the bench and get some at half, or when a team calls timeout.
Do you really play halves?

crashlanding
Dec 11, 2006

When a guy is coming down one on one on me, I try to push him to the outside and give him an outside wrister from not a great angle, you guys better make that save! :argh:

crashlanding
Dec 11, 2006

Zinc. posted:

I love it when goalies do this. 90% of the time (I play LW, RH shot) I let the goalie think he is pushing me outside too much, and once I pass the faceoff dot, I can usually hit the top right corner of the net because of the goalie overly trying to push me outside, leaving me a tiny opening far corner. Watch any highlight video of a righty LW (ovechkin and Kovalchuk do this allllll the time)and this shot will be on there several times.
I'm a defenseman and you're not going to have a chance to shoot far post so goalies, don't let him beat you short side. Also, you're not getting within five feet of the faceoff dot if you want to get a shot off.

crashlanding
Dec 11, 2006

Martytoof posted:

Not that they weren't within their rights to challenge the roster, but they should have done it beforehand. Delaying games because all of a sudden you don't like who you're playing against is dumb.

Though near the end of some games I would kill for a five minute break :haw:
Ha, I played in a game tonight where there was a five minute break halfway through the third when we tied the game at 4 on a 5 on 3. The break was so the refs could tally the number of unsportsmanlikes to give the other team. We ended up getting two more 5 on 3 goals and another 5 on 4.

It pretty much hosed up the rest of the game but it was pretty funny watching the ref melt down and give out like five separate unsportsmanlike penalties and then telling their bench that yes, it was still 5 on 3 after each of our goals.

crashlanding
Dec 11, 2006

Ok, since my left hand is pretty hosed up right now and won't get better until I quit playing hockey for like a month so I think I'm going to try to take up goaltending in my down time. I don't think catching would be as bad as shooting/trying to do things one handed like I do as a skater. Where should I go to get decent, cheap equipment? Would a play-it-again sports be the place to go or would online be the better option?

crashlanding
Dec 11, 2006

Tim Thomas posted:

depends what you want to do, really. what are you aiming to get out of playing the position? are you looking to stick with it and get better? are you more just doing it as a diversion?
Honestly, I'd love to be able to be a competent C+/B- adult rec league goalie. I've spent so much time over the last year calling seemingly every goalie on the North side of Chicago only to be turned down or not have my calls answered when we're short a goalie that I'd love to just be able to say "I'll play goal tonight" and not have everyone groan like it's going to be a long night.

I've played twice already and while I don't think I was horrible, I certainly let up three or four mind bogglingly soft goals and that just made me want to get better.

crashlanding
Dec 11, 2006

Martytoof posted:

Ladies and gentlemen, the Reebok P3 series;
You forgot the skates.

crashlanding
Dec 11, 2006

Joey Walnuts posted:

Started a new season tonight. Lost 5-1 with 71 saves. My team had 14 shots on goal. Goddamn, they're awful. This is gonna suck.
76 shots, jesus how long are your periods? Even in the most lopsided games the shot totals never get much higher than 50.

crashlanding
Dec 11, 2006

Yeah, you guys are idiots if you're comparing your sharpenings to the first cut which usually runs around $15. My shop charges $50 for baking and $15 for the first sharpening so you didn't get ripped off thaaaat bad. The other thing to keep in mind when you buy from a shop is that you're paying sales tax that you probably wouldn't pay online.

Also, Minister Robathan, they charge for baking if you bring in skates to get baked that you didn't buy there. It's to encourage you buying them in store.

crashlanding
Dec 11, 2006

As a shooter, I'd suggest coming out and challenging a little more. If you're back on the post, you're way too deep when a guy has the puck near the faceoff dots. At that point the shooter sees like 18" of purely unguarded net at the far post.

crashlanding
Dec 11, 2006

Martytoof posted:

Oh yeah, got a little Captain in you?
Please tell me you're talking to your 15 foot tall defenseman and not trying to make a save. :)

crashlanding
Dec 11, 2006

T-Bone posted:

That's why beer leagues are hell on goalies. The easy answer is: play the shooter to the best of your abilities but we all know that the cross ice pass is getting through.
Yeah, but then the other team has to rely on the beer leaguer catching the pass and hitting the net.

crashlanding
Dec 11, 2006

Pfffft, former NCAA D1 players don't count when I think of the term "beer leaguer." Slow guys with beer bellies that have trouble staying onside is what I think of. :patriot:

crashlanding
Dec 11, 2006

After our first game last night, I'd like to restate my love/hate for goalies. We outshot the other team 35-24 but it ended in a 1-1 tie in overtime. Both goals were also off of second rebounds (shot-save-rebound-save-rebound-goal). It was very frustrating but it made the game a lot more fun than the 8-7 shootouts we usually have. Keep up the good work. :cool:

crashlanding
Dec 11, 2006

Definitely, whenever asked, I always say that that is my favorite game, even though the Devils lost. It's a shame that we'll never see it rebroadcast in its entirety. I still have TSN's classic series show about that series on my DVR. It was one of the best goaltending duels I've ever seen (I never got to see the '94 Buffalo/NJ series though).

crashlanding
Dec 11, 2006

Jesus, I just played my first elite goalie. Apparently he was a goalie at a top DIII school (I think he's only a couple years out) and he was unbelievable. We probably had close to 60 shots on him and we only got one past. I had a chance in the slot, just beyond the faceoff dots and I decided to just take a slapshot because there was not other way I was getting it past him. So I wound up and got all of it, shot it against the grain, about three feet off the ice and inside the post and he just blockered it out of play like it was nothing. Talk about depressing. It was great to try my best against such a good goalie and I just wish I could have got one past him.

crashlanding
Dec 11, 2006

Martytoof posted:

Anyway, the new thing I'm frustrated about is that I'm still trying to convince some of my D to remember to play the pass versus the shot on a 2-on-1. It's really easy to play the situation when you know your D is going to take the pass OR the shot, but depending on who's on the ice there's no consistency. I really want them to start playing the pass so I can come out a lot more to challenge the shooter instead of having to cheat to play the pass, which usually results in me giving up the cheater goal :(
I have the exact opposite problem as a defenseman. When I'm defending a 2-on-1, I always tell the goalie before the game that I have the pass, do not cheat, if they get the pass across and score it is not his fault because he cheats a lot and gets beat short side all the time. Now when I'm on a 2-on-1 I just start yelling "take the shot" which sometimes has the effect of having the guy with the puck shoot right away.

crashlanding
Dec 11, 2006

Martytoof posted:

Yeah. I really stunk it up last night, and to top it off I blew my cool. It felt good at the time until I realized that I'm unemployed and can't afford to drop $80 on a new stick :(
Did changing the straps on your pads bother you at all? :(

crashlanding
Dec 11, 2006

How do you butterfly goalies know when to go down? I mean is it purely feel and experience or are there cues from the shooter that you follow?

crashlanding
Dec 11, 2006

Martytoof posted:

I love Brian's gloves but I hate the giant loving BRIAN'S they plaster on absolutely everything.

No different than any other manuf. I guess, but it bugs me more for some reason.
Learn to sew and put a huge "TOOF'S" over it.

crashlanding
Dec 11, 2006

How the hell can you play a game with half the guys on skates and half the guys in shoes? That doesn't sound like it would work at all. Pretty much the only thing dek hockey is good for is stickhandling because it forces you to stickhandle with your feet moving. A lot of guys in roller/ice when they start out just start gliding every time they try and deke and that doesn't work that great.

crashlanding
Dec 11, 2006

Polish posted:

I just got excited because the indoor rink I play at is in Feasterville. Unfortuantly, it is in Pennsylvania.. so i doubt it is the same one.. :(
How many Feastervilles do you think there are? I'd be very surprised if it wasn't the same one.

crashlanding
Dec 11, 2006

I'm not a goalie, but as a shooter the only time I try to go five hole (I really suck at it) is when the goalie has some piss poor stick discipline and he isn't covering it or when he comes out and cuts down the angle and my only prayer is to sneak one through him. If your stick is in a good position when you're standing it becomes much tougher to score five hole, also get in your stance and ask a teammate what they see that's open, you could just be standing with your pads really far apart making the five hole look somewhat large. Then again, I'm not a goalie so my advice probably isn't that helpful. :shobon:

crashlanding
Dec 11, 2006

titanium posted:

Any goalie school I've been to does video cause you can see exactly what you're doing wrong. I want to go to some camera shop and get some suction cup setup for the glass behind the net. I just need to make sure I trust the rink I'm in.
That's probably a bad idea with guys occasionally hitting the boards you could lose your camera. A decent tripod would be much more reliable.

crashlanding
Dec 11, 2006

What would you say causes a "heavy" shot? The amount of spin on the puck?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crashlanding
Dec 11, 2006

I don't know, spin probably does have something to do with it. Have someone toss a soccer ball to you slowly and head it. Now have the same person throw it to you at the same speed but with a lot of backspin, you feel it a lot more. The ball isn't moving any faster but the angular velocity contributes to how you feel it as well.

• Locked thread