Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Minister Robathan
Jan 3, 2007

The Alien Leader of Transportation

Martytoof posted:

5 year olds in Ontario are better than the best players on my Tampa team!

Fixed. :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minister Robathan
Jan 3, 2007

Just outta curiosity, were you playing some good ole fashioned out door rink hockey, in full gear, or at a pickup game in an arena?

Cause if you were playing on a rink, you're awesome.

There's a rink about 40 minutes from my house that has 2 goalies come out and play every Saturday, it's awesome. Hell, the rink itself is awesome, the first thing the nest door's arena dude gets there in the morning does is flood the rink with the Zamboni! I just wish it weren't so far.

Minister Robathan
Jan 3, 2007

PenguinManAmato posted:

All true for taking slap shots to the face

Just so you know, goalie helmets don't protect against concussions. Even regular player helmets do not protect against concussions. http://www.csa.ca/news/releases/default.asp?articleID=7567&searchType=exactPhrase&searchWordList=hockey+helmet&language=English

Specially designed concussion helmets, of course, are the exception as they have three layers of protection: the hard outer shell which prevents the majority of cuts and bruises and whatnot, a hard foam shell that absorbs hard blows (like the one you described), and a soft, foam or gel layer that is in direct contact with your head designed to absorb and distribute whatever force is remaining.

Now, you're advice is one hundred percent true for blocking shots with your face, but it's unlikely that the 500$ helmet protected you anymore than the 125$ helmet did. Also, since your helmet was 3 years old at the time, it had (guaranteed) received quite a beating, and likely was no longer up to par. It was time to replace it. Unfortunately, you found this out after getting a concussion. AS SOON AS THERE IS ANY WEAR ON YOUR HELMET, it has lost part of it's integrity.

This is just a reminder that, for players and for goalies a like, a helmet does not make you invincible. I've received a concussion while wearing a concussion helmet. I got hit, my head snapped back onto the ice, I remember getting up taking a stride towards the bench, and then my next memory is of the trainer standing over me asking questions. Nothing can make hockey completely, 100% safe, there is risk of significant injury as soon as you step on the ice.

Do not take this the wrong way PMA, I'm not saying any old helmet will do. I'm recommending that people, especially people that do not play goalie (ha, in the goalie thread!) get a good concussion helmet, rather than any helmet that the CSA/HECC has certified.

Minister Robathan
Jan 3, 2007

Aniki posted:

I know. You would think that skaters would come to open hockey with the attitude that it doesn't matter, so they should just try to work on their game and have fun. However, every once in a while you get an rear end who takes themselves way too seriously. I guess it would be one thing if someone felt that a player was deliberately trying to injure them, but even then it's not really worth it.

Someone doesn't even have to take it too seriously to piss people off, and it doesn't take much for it to feel like someone's trying to hurt you. All it takes to piss me off in open-hockey is little poo poo that I'd shrug off in a game, like a hook in the midsection, or crosschecks in the back in front of the net. poo poo that might probably?) not even get called. I don't do anything about it, but I still get loving pissed. This is the number one reason I leave 15 minutes early from like half the sessions I go to.

Oltimers league fights are the most awkward. The refs'll just stand back and let the players sort it out themselves, which usually takes forever.

Minister Robathan
Jan 3, 2007

Joey Walnuts posted:

15 minute periods. I have zero defense on my team. Last nights game was knocked down to 56 shots though. Of course we only had 20 shots on net. Gonna be a long season.

jesus, at least you`re never bored.

Minister Robathan
Jan 3, 2007

sba posted:

Some forward did the Sean Avery thing to me today.

Some forward is gonna have a nice welt on his arm.

I got 14 PIM's for the retaliation.

I don't know about whatever rulebook you're using, and I know the NHL is clearly different than this, but in the Hockey Canada book, the Avery maneuver is a minor penalty for high-sticking, based on my reading of the book.

62(a) "The carrying of sticks above the normal height of the shoulders of the opponent is prohibited. A Minor [...] shall be assessed any player who checks or intimidates an opponent while carrying his stick above the shoulder of his opponent.

In the casebook, this is even clarified in Situation 1, saying that no contact is necessary for the penalty call.

Oh, and the forward deserves the welt, and you... probably deserved the 14 PIM's, haha.

Minister Robathan
Jan 3, 2007

Polish posted:

sharpening runs $20 (US)

Holy hell, I still pay like 3$ back home, for player skates, but still, wtf. Also sticking them in the oven and getting compressed is loving included.

Minister Robathan
Jan 3, 2007

crashlanding posted:

Also, Minister Robathan, they charge for baking if you bring in skates to get baked that you didn't buy there. It's to encourage you buying them in store.

Makes sense, guess I'm just a spoiled Canadian. I still think 20$ is retarded expensive, even for a first cut. I got new blades put on my skates last week, (not a new holder, just the blade) and that cost 50$ with the first cut.

Minister Robathan
Jan 3, 2007

nahanahs posted:

When play enters my end, I'm usually at least three feet in front of the crease to take advantage of my size. Quite often, this will freak out a skater and cause him to shoot very early.

Yeah, I'm just going to go around you if you come out this far, because I can move faster forwards than you can backwards. If I don't think I have time to get around you (defensive pressure, whatever), I'm passing the puck, and now it's an easy tap in cause you're too far out. In any case, if you're really far out of the net, I'm NEVER EVER going to shoot, because you're gonna stop it.

Another thing, you're more likely to have to move at some point if I hang onto the puck at all. One of my favourite moves on a goalie that comes out, especially if I'm coming down on my off wing, is is to cut to the middle in front of the d-man, forcing the goalie to start moving, at which point I shoot short-side.

Coming out to challenge is really a double edged sword.

Minister Robathan
Jan 3, 2007

crusader donkey posted:

Wow you must play against goalies who can't skate.

Three feet out of the crease is a long loving way. Try backing into the crease while I'm skating full speed at you. I guarantee you that I'll have you hosed by either you backing too deep, or not enough while I'm coming in, whether there's a d-man in the way or not. I've got a long way to go, but you're gonna have to start moving, and by moving you open up. Even better, I'm trying to force you to move laterally just by hanging onto the puck. Ok, I'm not going to beat a goalie to the net from the blue line, but if I'm at speed in a shooting area (anything from the top of the circle and in), you're hosed.

Minister Robathan
Jan 3, 2007

crusader donkey posted:

haha we have a clash of two confident hockey players.

Top of the circles and in constitutes a quality scoring chance and it's the defense's job to keep you out of there :colbert:

Then why are you 3 feet out of the crease?

EDIT: My read of the whole situation is that what Martytoof originally described, and anybody else talked about, is during a decent (anywhere inside the top of the faceoff circles) scoring chance. If I'm mistaken, ok, fine.

E2: I almost said inside the ringette line, but then I realised some/most(?) people wouldn't know what I was talking about :haw:

Minister Robathan fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Dec 4, 2008

Minister Robathan
Jan 3, 2007

Martytoof posted:

Anyway, I also love playing any chance I can get, at whatever level I can find. I haven't found any real beginner games here yet, mostly because everyone here seems to have grown up on skates, but I've been thrown into some high skill games and while I can't say I'm ready for the AHL, it's a neat experience that gives you an eye for how good teams aren't necessarily faster than a regular team, they're just smarter.

The difference between AAA midget and Tier II Junior isn't the pace, in fact the pace (by pace I mean how hard everyone is working for the speed) in junior is usually slower, but the puck itself moves quicker, and much smarter.

We brought a team to a AAA midget summer tourney and because there were 2 american teams (of 6) each of the canadian teams were allowed two bring two overagers so we brought a couple of guys from the local tier 2 team that we had played with all our lives. They were complaining like crazy after the first at how exhausting it was to have to play balls out because every no one just stood around and passed, everyone was skating all out. Also, they said that they constantly had less time than they were used to, because in junior guys were more worried about being caught out of position than chasing the puck.

Minister Robathan
Jan 3, 2007

Dude, I've got shoulder pads with more protection than that monkey suit, it must've been terrifying to stand in net.

Minister Robathan
Jan 3, 2007

This is the worst argument ever. :psyduck:

A heavy shot is about speed only. Spin makes a puck go faster, and that's why they hurt more. Also, a puck that hits in unprotected areas hurt more. A puck that is fluttering is harder to read, ergo it hits unprotected areas more often.

Minister Robathan
Jan 3, 2007

El Mariachi posted:

The main problems I can identify with my play is that I don't follow the ball with my eyes and while I can block most stuff that is between my knees and my shoulders, if its rolling on the ground towards my fivehole its probably gonna go in. For some insane loving reason I cannot stop myself from dropping down to my right knee thus letting the ball in through the space underneath that knee. Recently, I've had a little success with consciously putting the SHAFT of my stick on the ground in front- but that's a pretty lovely idea too.

Watching the videos in the OP isn't all that relevant, since there's not much sliding I can do. Although it really is helpful because if I am going to drop to that knee, I should at the very least keep the blade of my stick out in front.

When I was a kid in the early-mid 90s, before the butterfly was really established, this is exactly what some of the goalie coaches told my goalies to do. They called it "paddle down". I have no idea what it was supposed to be used for, but it would seem to be part of the stand up style.

Minister Robathan
Jan 3, 2007

Aniki posted:

There was a period of time in the early 90s, when paddle down became the big thing in goal tending. It was in the period between the transition from standup to butterfly oriented goaltending and while it can be a good save selection, it's hard to build your whole game around it. I guess heavy use of the paddle down is more a trait of hybrid goalies than anything, I use it quite frequently, but mostly on plays in tight or when I really want to make sure that I have my 5-hole covered.

Explained myself badly, but this is more like what I was trying to say.

Minister Robathan
Jan 3, 2007

titanium posted:

Did the buckles come off? I've taking metal denting impacts to the cage that flexes the mask and unbuttons the straps.

Yeah, that's what happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minister Robathan
Jan 3, 2007

Yeah, gotta say that any contact with the goalie should be considered the players fault, so skating across the crease and tripping cause you`re an idiot means it should get no call.

Hell, it should be no call anywhere on the ice, but refs aren`t perfect, so if it was anywhere else, maybe, but that`s still no reason to freak out.

• Locked thread