Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
He did let me try them on after I told him I would buy there. I used to work at a paintball store where people would come in and try poo poo out.. leave and buy it online. So I can understand why he would do that.. but he still shouldn't of been a dick.

But now that I look at it.. the 3ks are 185 online.. and the 5k are 269. And at the store the 5k were 299.. so its really not a bad deal.

http://hockeygiant.com/rbk5kpmpgsktsr.html

Any comments.. good skate? Bad skate?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
Just got back from my first ice skate in about six years (third time ever). I did pretty drat well but obviously I have things to work on. The transition from roller to ice isn't too bad at all.. except its a sliding motion instead of a rolling motion. So time to pick up some skates and start playing some ice hockey finnaly.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
Well I've been playing roller hockey as goal for the last year or so.. but now I am finnaly going to try out ice.. so I'm not too new around here.. just don't post much. :)

Gotta play two games back to back tomorrow with about a five minute break in between.. guess I'm not drinking too much tonight while watching the Flyers lose another game.. :(

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
Well had my two games.. first game was going great, and then the second period started. About a minute in I made a great save with the unpadded part of my arm/elbow.

Blurry picture ahoy:

Click here for the full 1200x1600 image.

After that, my stick arm was about dead.. so we lost that game 4-8.. also it didn't help that our team started playing in slow motion. Right after that loss we move to game two.. which was a pretty equal game. So equal that it went into a shootout. I was pretty confident because everyone always wants to do shoot outs to show off how good they are.. so I got pretty good at em. Needless to say, we won and it feels great knowing that you as the goalie won the game. I feel awesome and its probably the motrin and beers kicking in.

Work is going to suck tomorrow.

As I compare the two pictures.. I would say that your bruise hurts more.. but.. mine is on bone/joint.. so.. I can justify being a bitch about it.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
Lets talk angles. One sure fire way to beat me is by being around the red dots and shooting at a fairly shallow angle. For some reason I always get real close to the post and always get beat. Picture:

Now the easy remedy to that would simply be to move to my right.. but when that happens the shot always goes between me and the post right into the net. I honestly do not know what the other person can see of the net when I am trying to square up to the puck. Maybe I should get my friends to take pictures of me from different spots to see where I should be moving to.. eh?

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
Right now I don't have any free rink time. During the spring/summer I will have plenty of time but no one ever wants to help me with that kind of stuff. Everyone just wants to do shoot-outs or just play a pick up game. And then of course blame me when we lose :jerkbag:

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
I would love to come to Canada.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night

titanium posted:

What the hell kind of team are you playing for that blame you for losing?

Oh you have not heard of the elite team called the "Ruff Ryders" that I play with? I wanna kill myself each time I hear our team name.. Some of the team are 'tough guys' so they think they are hot poo poo. They used to blame me more when I first started playing, but as of late I have been blaming all of those fuckers, since I'm getting better. But why place blame on a single person, it's a team so we are all to blame.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
Damnit.. my skates were back ordered until the first. But one of my rinks has goalie training sessions every Wednesday. I should defiantly look into that.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
I bough all my stuff new.. and spent a good $300 bucks on my helmet and it was worth it. Defiantly something you do not want to cheap out on.

For the blocker, the glove part will probably wear out first. And for the catch the very top of mine is tethered together with heavy string, which keeps needing repair.

Are you playing ice or roller? I play roller, and I wear a thinner girdle/pants deal with loose fitting long pants over that. I would say as long as you are comfy and protected you should do fine. Also I suggest underarmor (or any variation) shirt and shorts.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
That being said.. even with a cup, it still hurts.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
My league playoffs are this week. Personal goals for myself: Come out and challenge people a lot more. Don't lose.

I think I can do that.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
Hey Marty are you a full-right goalie? I think I am the only one..

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
Bet you felt awsome after that one.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
Okay.. say there was a shoot-out.. and as the shooter is skating up with the puck, what is to stop you from comming out of the goal a bit and just dive feet first into the puck before they shoot?

Doubt that would fly on any professional level.. but in the typical beer/adult league, why not? Or even just skate up and plow the guy over.. although that tactic isn't as subtle.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
As soon as possible so they can start looking for another one. I just sliced my arm open today.. got 14 stiches and the first question I asked the doctor was "Can I play hockey tomorrow?". So the first person I called when I got out was my team captain.

This sucks.. I wanna play so bad. Oh well Flyers game tomorrow.. in the suite.. all the free food and beer I can shovel into my mouth.

I injured my right shoulder while snowboarding right before I started playing goalie. It hurt too much to hold the stick in my right hand.. so now I'm a lefty goalie.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
Just got back from a meet and greet with the Flyers. Biron and Nitty signed my first goalie stick :woop:

Going to play a practice game, on ice, on Friday night.. so first time in goal on the ice. I will finnaly be able to slide and move properly.. really looking forward to it. Also, how the hell do you power stop on ice.. I can do it in roller blades but can't seem to get it on my ice skates.. maybe I just need more practice time skating.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
I am really good on getting back up from going down to butterfly or whatnot.. but yeah I think ice will be easier. I am used to no icing.. no offsides.. so I think it will be an almost completly different game. My gear is geared toward roller hockey.. so my pants and chest protector are a little lacking...Christmas presents!!

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
The pants are inline player pants.. so they work great, are light, and breathe well.. but yeah I have taken a few nice hits to the inner thigh. But I am not too worried about those. The C/A I picked up the cheapest one I could find, and while is does great on my chest, the arms are very lacking. They protect the inside of my arms well, but the outside there is just a crappy elbow pad, which slips. Lost a game a few weeks ago because a slap-shot got through right to my elbow, stick arm went dead.

Anywho.. I'm not too worried about it, but I am definatly going to invest in a new C/A soon. Buddy of mine wants to start playing so I can just sell him my old gear for cheap.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
Learned that my team might be ditching me this season. That pisses me off a little bit but I am also kinda happy. The team over-all isn't very good, and usually has no defense..bah no hard feelings I guess. Oh well.. onto the next one. I'll use this off time to work on my game and move onto ice.

I think I'll start skating and work on my stick handling during my lunch hour at work. Does anyone do any exercising or training? I know its best to work on your core for hockey.. I guess some running would be a good idea.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
Had some practice with my buddies yesterday out in the blistering cold. I started off doing well, then I got hungry and started getting frustrated because I felt like I had no energy. I notice when I am in a better mood, joking around and such, I play a lot better. Morale is, apparently, very important to me. The pracice was really good because it was just three of my friends skating around and taking shots on me, really relaxed play and I could focus on particular areas I wanted to work.

Can't wait for Christmas so I get my new C/A.. then its ice time baby..

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
Alright who got what for Christmas.. My girlfriend went all out got me a nice C/A and new pants.. so now I can (Safely) play ice. A few Flyers shirts/jerseys and some pucks..oh and a jersey with my name and number on it! I made out like a bandit.

I just tried my new C/A (while playing roller) and holy poo poo the first hour of playing was hell. I'm not used to the bulky C/A so breaking it in was essential. After about an hour or so I got comfy, but I still have to get used to the bulk, also I have to tighten up some straps and adjust. But I take up a lot more of the net now.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
...I just played ice for the first time.. for three and a half hours.. with one fifteen minute break. ...I did god drat amazing.

...I'm gonna go pass the hell out now.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
Alright.. now that I am semi-rested and sore as hell.. onto a trip report of my first ice experience!

My co-worker plays with on a team.. and on that team there is some really talented people.. some older guys.. but all pretty drat good (compared to what I usually play with anyways). So on the suggestion of Marty I decided to hit up an open game before I practiced with my co-workers team. I get out on the ice and the eight people that are there are just kinda staring at me.. maybe they were in shock that a goalie came? Anyways.. got right out on the ice no problems skating or moving (I have only skated about 3 or 4 times before this) and I just got right out there on warm-up. I was stopping pucks left and right, which I found unbelievable. There were times where I would go down and slide over (which the whole sliding is new to me) and slide about five feet away from the net.. but all in all it was a great warm-up.

Two hours of that (non-stop) and a fifteen minute break later... I'm out on the ice with my co-workers team.. for the next hour and a half.. non-stop. They started with a warm-up, and I noticed my muscles were getting tight even after stretching again.. so I just persevered and we went onto the game. There was this one guy who was fast as all hell, and a great puck handler, he was one of the better players. That guy was getting break-aways left and right, but every time I would come way out of the net to challenge him.. that guy did not score on me once. Ahh man it was so much fun and I can't wait to do some more open games in the future..

..and those frozen rubber pucks combined with the power of the people I was playing against.... holy poo poo. ..Sorry for the story.. I'm just excited.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
Playing some ice tonight.. and I am finding it drat near impossible to pack my bag with my new C/A and pants.. and ice skates. I'll get pics of how I pack it later.. because there is no way I am unpacking until tonight. I have the biggest bag I could find (no wheels.. mistake).. and I can barely get the fucker to close.

I know it'll get easier as my gear breaks in.. but maybe there is a better way?

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
My old roller team invited myself and a few of my buddies for an hour and a half practice last night. I was psyched for it.. all ready to go, but within the first ten minutes of warm-ups I was loving dead tired. I decided to wear my new pads (which I was only going to wear for ice) and that was a mistake. Even though it was all of 12 degrees F last night, this was an indoor rink and the pads kept in all the heat. After about fourty minutes of play I was just in slow motion, not to mention I haven't played any serious roller hockey in a few months. I am so pissed at myself for how poorly I played. I really gotta start running everyday and doing a bit of weight training and other exercises.

The more I play ice.. the less I want to play roller. It just seems everything is works against the goalie for roller. Smaller rink, no sliding, 4 on 4, no/little defense, roller blades.. uhg. But whatever, hockey is hockey.. and as long as I am playing, I'm happy.

And to open my glove up I put it face down and put two steel toed boots on top for about two days.. worked great.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
So basically you are saying I should suck it up, stop being a pussy, and commit to my game more?

Ya know.. considering I have never had any formal goalie, or hockey, training.. maybe I should invest some time into it. I notice you can really tell the guys who know what they are doing vs the guys who don't (me). I am doing pretty well for about 8 months of playing self-taught.. but there is quite a bit I still need to learn.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night

Tim Thomas posted:

Hey Mandingo, where are you playing at? I used to play for Cornell and now am on the board of directors for the ECRHA. Are you going to ASW in Feasterville?

I just got excited because the indoor rink I play at is in Feasterville. Unfortuantly, it is in Pennsylvania.. so i doubt it is the same one.. :(

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
So you mean to tell me Sportsplex in Feasterville, PA is having an ASW..? Why haven't I heard of this, what time is it and are you going Tim? I would stop by to check it out.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
Playing some ice tonight with the B team I played with before. I'm psyched for it.. although I haven't played in 2 weeks.. and I am getting over a cold right now. This is really going to suck not being able to breathe out of my nose.

Arg.. I hate playing when I'm sick.. ..although I quit smoking!

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
I have them at home.. Ill throw a couple in my bag.. good idea.

Also you might be onto something with the energy drinks. Whenever my friends play out they take the 4-5 hour energy deals.. and they don't get tired. So I think I am going to down one of those before I get on the ice.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
So I took one of those five hour energy shots before the game.. and holy poo poo. I had energy throughout the entire game.. and I wasn't even a bit tired after the game. I haven't played in two weeks since I have been sick on and off.. and therefor I got worked over like a free hooker in a prison.

Yeah I did really really horrible last night.. ..time to go and practice.

But anyways, five hour energy drink.. highly recommended.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night

JayMax posted:

A banana will give you the same kick as an energy drink.

Yeah but.. bananas are disgusting. Kiwis and apples are where it at.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
Can't you get like 30 Shamwows for that price?

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night

sba posted:

just got this jersey in the mail from River City, should match my stuff really well, plus it adds some color other than black/white/silver to my gear

Still waiting for the trip report on the shamwow... considering making one. Get to it!

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
Arg.. uhg.. just played two hours of hard roller. Took a five hour energy before hand.. I think I might be dead if not for that. I think I did really well until about an hour in, then I started getting tired and sloppy. But for some reason during the last twenty minutes I got a fifth wind or something. I made some awesome saves too.. ahh man I hurt so good. fuckkk...

All my teammates keep telling me to get goalie skates for roller.. and I tell them its not really worth it. I will be needing new skates soon.. but I don't know if I should get goal skates or player skates. For ice I got goal skates, but for roller I really don't think it makes too much of a difference. Any input?

okay I'm gonna go pass the hell out now.. wheeee..

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
Finally played ice tonight after doing nothing but drink beer and smoke these past two weeks. I barely got a work out though due to six goalies showing up for open.. this is the second time that has happened. I did awesome my first shift, then it was all down hill from there. At one point my skate lace was hanging down and I kept skating over it.. and that really throws you off... ah well it'll be nice out tomorrow.. a nice bike ride in in line. Gotta build those legs.

And also one of the other goalies took one to the nuts today, why the hell he wasn't wearing a cup is beyond me.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
Get two blockers.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
Took a puck to the chin last night. We were on a water break, and I was off to the side with my mask up sipping my water bottle while some guys were plinking shots onto the net. One went cross court and loving railed me in the chin.. vision went white briefly as I made sure my jaw wasn't broke. I'm alright now cept my entire jaw and some teeth hurt like hell, plus a nice gash on my chin. It did help me play better though, as I was playing like poo poo before hand.. that hit kinda woke me up and I played amazing for the next hour. It also makes me feel good because I had some crazy save on the kid who hit me with the puck, totally robbed him.

Lesson learned: If you are on the ice/court always pay attention.. and keep your mask down. Uhgggg...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
Ahh it was just a pick-up game.. and the kid is cool.. real quiet guy. You can tell he felt bad in a drop in performance in his game. It hurt, yeah, but no reason to kick someones rear end over.

At least nothing broke.. eating a bagel was tough this morning though.

• Locked thread