Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
For the new OP I'll do a write-up of how to get dressed if ya like. I remember my first time playing I didn't know what the hell to do with all those straps and laces and poo poo. I will include pictures of my hairy pale legs.

Also, for helmets, I know you all enjoy your Havackas, but my Vaughn is nice (as long as you dont get hit on the side of the helmet). Sticks, of course buy what you like, but the Sherwood 9950 wood can't be beat for price/performance/durability/weight/etc..

Also, put a lot of emphasis on neck protection. For fucks sake none of us are professionals and we have to go to work/school/World of Warcraft the next day, so a little bit of uncomfort for an hour or so can save your life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night

Aniki posted:

...since I was a huge North Star fan as a kid and he's not tainted like Modano or some of the other players, so he's actually someone that I want to meet.

I read that as Peter North, and was quite confused.

Also, for the OP, I say.. spend the cash on a helmet and skates. One protects your head, the other effects how you walk around the next day. So get some nice comfy skates.

Polish fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Aug 14, 2010

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night

coldwind posted:

Why is Modano tainted?

Also, I think we should address the inevitable question: "what if I'm only playing low-level rec?" I mean, everybody asks, so we should just get it out of the way.

Baseball catchers chest protector and mitt, pads from Toys R Us, 3 pairs of sweat pants, a cup, your old junior cage mask, and your dads old blocker. A normal player stick will be good.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
On the heels of the slashing, anyone ever get into confrontations? I only have during roller games because roller just turns everyone into a huge douchebag. I am a really laid back guy and very hard to piss off but the pricks that play roller just set me off I suppose.

Three guys crashed my net so I was scrambling for the puck while they were trying to kick it in and one fat mother fucker was dangling his gut all over my head so I just looked up after I secured the puck and gave him two straight punches with my blocker right into his fat loving stomach.

Another time the other teams D man was just sitting back trying to cherry pick (roller is loving retarded) and he was just standing in front of my net. So I rolled my rear end up behind him to try to nudge him out of the way and challenge a bit and my skate hit the back of his skate and down he went. This dude was like 6'4" around 230 lbs, and I am all of 5'9" 155.. So he turns around and tells me to "Try that poo poo again pussy I'll loving kill you" and as he skates away I shout something about his tiny dick or mother or something. Lo and behold five minutes later.. same predicament, so I roll up, pull back my leg, and kick the back of his skate. He only stumbled that time, but nothing else happened after it.. he didn't say a word.

But yeah, gently caress roller.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night

Surfing Turtle posted:

Planetgoalie is in PA so they would prob ship it quick also.

Where in PA? Cause I am in PA! :D

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night

Aniki posted:

That's a really good idea, I've gotten a lot faster at putting on all my gear, but I still waste time counting and recounting which hole that I am using. I probably wouldn't recommend that when you are just starting out or are getting used to new pads, but once you've settled into a strapping system that sounds like an easy way to save time. I'll make sure to do that when I am installing my new toe-ties.

I am getting closer to being able to return to the ice. The stiffness and soreness in my knee is finally going away and it's not popping frequently anymore. I'm going to to give myself a few more days of rest and I'll use a neoprene knee brace when I return. I should have shut myself down after I first hurt my knee, but it was in the annoying range where it hurt enough that I was aware of the injury, but not quite enough to stop me from playing, which led to me aggravating it and making it worse than it needed to be.

Don't worry, once it happens again (it will happen again) you will be sure to take the two to three weeks off. Replace that knee brace after about a year because it gets worn out and stops supporting you.. I found this out..

When I hurt my MCL the first time, everyone here told me: Go without playing for 2-3 weeks or go without playing for 1-2 (or never again) years. Don't gently caress with your knees, they are hard to repair properly.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
As for bags.. I have that awesome Sherwood bag. The reason it is awesome is because it is a self adapting bag. My stuff barely fit in there so it ripped itself to pieces to allow all my crap to fit. Its pretty nice now because I really don't have to open the zippers anymore (which is good because half of them are stuck) to put stuff in. Also its great when I'm walking to the rink and my water bottle and three rolls of tape fall out. Luckily for me I bought the last one at the local pro shop for $40.. WHAT A DEAL!

Walking through doors with it kinda makes me feel bad for fat people. How do they do it?!

Also, Aniki, you might be timid about going butterfly and you also might be more conscious of that knee. After a while you will forget about it well.. until it happens again. This is purely anecdotal so YMMV.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night

Surfing Turtle posted:

Also, how big of a deal is it to not have a mask dangler or whatever that is called. I didn't get one yet and was thinking of just not getting it until later.

No big deal as long as you don't mind the risk of having your throat collapsed.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
You can play goalie safely, but you are always running a risk because you have a piece of frozen rubber being shot at you at 60-80 MPH. Just get a dangler or a neck guard or ideally both.

I wear a dangler and a shot ricocheted off of it, lost most of its power, and then hit me in the front of the throat. That scared the poo poo out of me but I still only wear a dangler.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night

Surfing Turtle posted:

It hit the dangler and still went to your throat? I thought the point of the dangler was to deflect anything away from your throat.

Yeah, it hit the dangler continued on, bounced off my chest, and up into my throat. That is a good argument to wear both the dangler and the throat guard. You can get away without wearing any throat protection, but everyone here may post in your E/N thread saying "I told you so".

It could be I'm just a huge pussy, but I would still like to see my unborn children grow up.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night

Surfing Turtle posted:

Yea I will get a dangler eventually. Just the initial investment on most of the gear hurts my wallet already.

Yeah its pricey for all of the equipment. But 15 bucks to minimize serious injury? Sign me up. Vaughn is what I wear.. it works pretty well.

But yeah, do what you want. Since you aren't very experienced I suggest you get something because weird poo poo happens. I don't mean to sound condescending so sorry I am coming across that way.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
My first one broke in an open game, just a normal not too hard shot on the side of it. And just recently some big motherfucker was winding up during warmups and since he lacks aim he just ripped one toward my face. It smashed into my dangler and deflected off into the corner. If I didn't have that dangler it would of hit the side of my neck.

Some guys have no problem not wearing one, I am not one of those guys. I have a cup, a nice helmet, etc etc.. why not just a few more bucks to be 99% safe instead of 90%?

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night

Surfing Turtle posted:

I was gonna ask the same question. The cheapest I have seen is 27 but $15 I could do.

At my local pro shop they have my Vaughn ones for 15 bucks. When I saw the price I was pretty happy.

..450 bucks for a new glove there though..

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
I have the same skates Joey Walnuts just picked up. I get them cut at 5/8 and they work pretty well for me. The outside does lack a bit of protection and taking a shot there does hurt like hell.

Any opinions on Vaughn 7400 catch? I am finally going to replace my 2+ year old RBK6k. Hockey tape cannot hold it together any longer.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
Some of those Warrior sticks do have cool rear end designs but they are heavy. Also, I cover 1/2 of my stick with tape.

Starting in a C2 league next week splitting the season with another goalie. Sucks but oh well at least I finally get to play competitive with a team again.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
Don't ECHL guys only make around 30k a year? The entire Trenton Devils team lives at my apartment complex (awesome neighbors to have) during their season. When they move in next month or so I could ask them some questions if you have any.

I finally ordered my new glove, a new stick, and a new cup. My 3 month old sherwood broke last night.. and my two year old sherwood is still holding strong. What the hell is that? I need to start looking into new leg pads and a blocker, all of my gear is finally making GBS threads itself after two and a half years. I have RBK stuff now but I was going to look into Vaughns.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
I use volley ball knee pads but I still also use my thigh boards. I would not take them off with my current knee pads. I use the knee pads so when I butterfly I don't smash my knees into the ground and hurt them.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night

Surfing Turtle posted:

goaliemonkey stick sale up to 30% off now if people are looking for a stick.

God damnit I just bought a stick from there!

I have this bad habit of kicking out my right leg and turning it a bit to block some shots and it exposes my inner calf area cause my pads suck. I got hit in the knee last night and it hurts.. it hurts a lot.

Also, I seem to be losing some of my flexiblity. The bad thing is I'm too lazy to stretch everyday or do yoga or something.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night

Surfing Turtle posted:

Just got my Tour Redline 5000 roller skates and the difference from player skate to goalie skate is already apparent. I definitely feel better with a flat lower skate. My balance feels way better now especially when getting low or crouching.

Edit: What do I actually give up if I am not using toe ties?

I have those same drat skates.. and I hate them. I figured out a way to use my toe ties on them because there was almost no way to tie them. I place the leather square on top of the toe of the skate, loop the laces under the middle of the skate twice and tie on top. After that I put clear tape around the perimeter of the bottom of the skate to keep the laces in place. This works great (otherwise the laces get stuck on the front wheel) but it makes my pads sit up a bit higher and screws me up.

I really hate those skates, they are un-comfy, and they just all around suck. I also took two wheels out because they are heavy as hell. I also find the toe ties very important otherwise you are adjusting your pads all game and if they slip and you don't notice it you can easily take a puck to your knee/shin.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
I would just like to state, breaking in a new glove sucks.

Got a little help with an A league guy last night. He teaches our adult clinic which I help out in every week. We were messing around and he just kicked my rear end every time, he was just too fast. But he was giving me some tips on how to read shooters.

(This applies to most B, C, D, leaguers) People before taking a shot will stop skating. Apparently it is difficult for people to think about skating and shooting at the same time, so when you see someones legs stop moving they may be going for a shot. Also, pay attention to the shooters stick. An open toe (stick angled back a bit) the shot is going to go high. A closed toe (stick angled forward) the shot is going to go low. You can also notice if it is going to go left or right. I got to test all this out last night during the guys shot practice (~20 shooters, about 20 shots a piece) and sure as poo poo 75% of the time I could read their shots a lot better. Learning that skill would defiantly be a good thing to have to help bring your game to the next level.

I have been drinking a glass of milk after every game. Supposedly it helps with muscle growth, so it is a small thing to do if it helps.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
Milk is cheap and I always have it. I'm also not that devoted to building muscle right now, although maybe I should be.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night

Surfing Turtle posted:

This stuff is pretty cheap too and you can mix it with water or milk. Just a little boost if you wanted more was just saying.

I'll look into it. I really need to start exercising and building muscle. My cardio especially.. uhg. Time to head over to W&W.. I need motivation.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
What recovery benefits do wings, doritos, mozzarella sticks, and beer have?

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
My before game meal is either tortellini with olive oil, salt, pepper, and crushed red pepper.. or pasta (usually bow ties) with a can of diced tomatoes and muenster cheese all mixed up. Both of these give me a ton of energy. It is all washed down with a mountain dew or water and 800mg of ibprophen.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night

Surfing Turtle posted:

Sigh I lost 8-7 tonight in OT. The tying goal I should have stopped it hit my glove but it some how squeezed in. The game winner they kept going back and forth and I was off balance and couldn't get back to the post and he squeezed it in. Every one said I played alright but I think I played like poo poo. drat roller hockey with no blue line and smaller rink!

Welcome to the ever frustrating world of goaltending. It is going to take a while until you start doing well consistently. Until then just keep your head up, don't get too frustrated and have fun. Pay attention to what you are doing and how you are screwing up and try to fix that. The more time you can spend in your equipment and on the rink the better as well. Also, yes roller sucks and that is why I only play ice anymore.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
Any tips on making my knees last longer? They crack and pop and snap all day and most of the time have a constant dull pain. I am only 26 and have always been thin. I really don't want to have knee replacements by the time I'm 28. I stretch everytime before I play, so I'm not really sure what else I can do as a preventive maintenance thing.

Also read in some other thread that being flexible makes you more prone to injury. Could explain why I sprained my MCL twice.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
I wear separate knee pads. I defiantly need to do some gym work. I have a free brand spankin new gym at my apartment complex but I am like.. scared to go there or something. I just don't know what to do at it besides run on the treadmill.

My season also starts tonight, yay C2 league. I have lost 10 lbs. in two weeks to get ready for the start. My new glove still isn't broken in completely but it will do I suppose. I am slightly hung over and chugging down water to hydrate myself. I need a pickle.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
Welp lost 5-3. I loving scored on myself. This is the first league I have been in in a while. Something about the scoreboard and the whole thing makes me nervous, anxious, etc.. and I can't focus properly. During practices I have a good time and am relaxed and I do amazing. As soon as I try to concentrate and take it seriously I suck.

Gahhh the head games of goaltending are the worst.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
Taking a shot off the side of the mask hurts like loving hell. I had a couple that made my ear ring and it got all red and hot and gahh it hurt.

Can we discuss rebounds and rebound control? I would say a good 40-50% of goals I give up are due to a rebound I give up. For some reason I am very bouncy and pucks just don't stick to me. I am not sure if this is an equipment problem or something I can actually fix. Fix me quick I got a game tonight.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
Rbk 6ks.. so yeah.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
Had a scrimmage last night. Mostly C2 and clinic guys with some A and B leaguers scattered in there to up the game a bit. Unfortunately all of the A and B guys were on the other team. I played an amazing game even though I let up around ten goals or so. Luckily only one guy (an A leaguer) scored 8 of the goals, and I put one in on myself. The last remaining goal was bounced off of my D mans chest, who was actually covering my back. That guy got laughed at pretty bad, was rather funny. Our team had 8 shots with 5 goals, so at least my SV% was a lot better with 57 shots.

My hip joints are starting to hurt. My knees are shot. I'm only 26 and been playing for like 2 1/2 years. I am so hosed. I really need to get to the gym and do some strength training.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
Anyone doing anything to their equipment for Halloween? I have a game on the 29th and I'm thinking of attaching a Jason mask to the top or front of my helmet. Maybe some devil horns or something.

Also, since our team has two goalies we alternate weeks. I might play out on my off weeks. I've never played out on ice.. wheeee.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
I can't win a drat game to save my life. But I think I have it figured out. I am once again playing too deep into the net. So the lovely shots that I stop and then fall off of me slide into the net. So frustrating to give up two goals like that.

But hey I almost got into a fight! I was up against my post staring at the puck behind the goal line when a guy from the opp team decided to skate across my crease and hooked himself into my goal stick, which I then pulled up because I didn't wanna lose my stick. He goes flying and then I come out to challenge and stop a shot. As the puck moves up away from me I stand up and start to turn as the guy that tripped himself loving charges me head on. I stumble back a bit and smash him in the face with my catch. He skates off and I start chasing him up to our blue line, arms out stretched yelling "ARE YOU loving SERIOUS!". The ref thought we were friends and we were messing with each other...

Apparently last week that team almost started 3 fights with a different team, two with their goalie.

Also, I thought for the longest time that my skates were hosed up. A new shop opened at my rink and I needed a sharpening. I always cut them at 5/8 and this guy informed me that they most defiantly were not cut at 5/8. You could hear that he was cutting a whole new radius into the skate.. and he was nice enough to explain all this to me. Lo and behold I can skate so much better now, everything feels so much smoother and I have much better grip.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night

Martytoof posted:

Oh my god, I got brutalized tonight. Every other shot went in. At least they weren't lovely shots, just incessant 2 on 1s and cross-slot passes to the backdoor.

If the score wasn't in the high teens or low twenties then I'm a monkey's uncle.

Nights like tonight really make me wonder why I bother :downs:

Been like this for me for the past two months.. I am too discouraged to even post in here. :smith:

Although whenever you post that you are doing lovely I seem to do better.. so I'll give you a trip report on Tuesday.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
Where's all my MCL injury buddies? This might help us:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rjw4wFWQIUc&feature=sub

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night

Martytoof posted:

Stuff

When that happens I usually just go butterfly and then try to look through a sea of legs. Usually one of my own guys will deflect it in or me, or I will get lucky and someone will shoot it into me. So.. sorry I suck at advice.

I had a great practice/scrimmage tonight. Made some god drat amazing saves. I really needed that, was becoming so frustrated with how I've been playing lately. Be I'll bomb on Friday when it actually matters though. My dangler broke somehow before the game, so I was making GBS threads myself trying not to die from a neck injury. Think it made me play more aggressive and actually try to stop the puck so I didn't get hit in the neck.

Also, it is colder outside than it is in the rink. What the poo poo.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
Comedy option for screens: Skate up behind them and nonchalantly kick the back of their skate.

I've been trying to listen to what other people are telling me what I'm doing wrong, and most people say "I go down too much". So I've been trying and trying to stay up as long as I can, but I still usually go down into the butterfly too much I guess. I dunno, I guess its working?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night

Surfing Turtle posted:

I'm short (5'6) so when guys set up in front I go to the top of the crease and get lower in my stance. Most of the time I catch a piece of the puck through bodies etc.

Wow yeah.. I thought I was short playing goal (5'9"). Been told to stand as tall as I could, and it has been working for me. I used to crouch down when facing a shot so I could make quicker side to side movements.. hasn't been working too well for me. As of the last few games I played, I have been standing about a foot or so above my crease and standing as big as I could with my glove up and out in front of me. Was slipping from the basics (that worked) and trying to get fancy (which didn't work). Shopping cart style still proves very effective.

• Locked thread