Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
crusader donkey
Oct 10, 2007

Hungry For The Cup (But Settling For Nachos)

PenguinManAmato posted:

PS I think right now Grims will take the mask until his comes back from the painter and then send it on to player-helmet dude. hit me with your addy so I can send 'er on.

:hfive: You're the coolest guy on the internet, PMA. Grimes, send me an email or message on AIM when you're ready to pass it on.

As for defense, I get disappointed when my defense blocks shots unless it's a tight game because I like to see as many shots as I can. If we're losing 6-0, which happens pretty frequently with my team, what's the point of blocking a shot and possibly getting hurt anyway? In roller, I think the ideal defenseman is a fast skater who can pass the puck. Of course I have none of those on my team :)

Question for serious roller hockey goalies: What do your average stats look like? Sv% and GAA especially. I feel like I'm pretty good and get comments from refs and opposing players, but my stats still seem pretty mediocre in my eyes. I think it's because I face a lot of really quality scoring chances. I also have nothing to compare to so i don't know what's normal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crusader donkey
Oct 10, 2007

UnmaskedGremlin posted:

EDIT: I used to get comments from refs and opponents and stuff, but I think it used to be because I used to make a lot of flashy, low probability saves, but I'd be guaranteed a soft goal or two a game. Breakaways, 2 on 1s or 2-0's, side to side, etc. I was unstoppable, but put a slapshot from the point on me? Off my glove and in. :( Or this one, which I was guaranteed to do a couple times a season, I go out to play a puck in the corner or something, flub it, or mis-shoot it, and put it right on an opponent's stick for the easy goal. Last game I played when we got knocked out of the playoffs (which was a year or so ago) I gave up a late goal that put them up by two, that was like that. :doh:

Yeah, I tend to let in a softy even now and then, especially when playing late games. Playing a hockey game at 10pm really doesn't go well when you get up for work every day at 4:30am. I was really happy with my play this past season and my sv% was only .76 and my gaa was around 5.7. Granted it's a step up from two summers ago when the team went 0-13 and I had a 10.2 gaa and .615 sv%. I went 4-8 this past year, and we beat the third place team in the playoffs :whatup:

UnmaskedGremlin posted:

Do you close your glove when you make a glove save or catch the puck? Because he doesn't, and it drives me nuts.

What up, I don't close my glove when I catch :c00l:

edit: Jesus, I was just looking at stats from that 0-13 season. We lost by more than 5 every game but two (8-4 and 7-5). We never scored more than 5 goals (that happened 3 times) and allowed less than 9 only twice (see above). We didn't score till the third game of the season and when we did, the bench emptied in celebration.

crusader donkey fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Feb 1, 2008

crusader donkey
Oct 10, 2007

I'm going to be in the market for a new stick soon, can I get any suggestions? I'm currently using a CCM (Tacks, I believe) that's about 6 years old and a quick search leads me to believe they don't make it anymore. It's light as hell and after finding my current backups too heavy for my comfort, I'm looking for something similar. Nothing that's going to break my bank. I think I paid ~$30 for this one and it lasted me this long.

crusader donkey fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Feb 1, 2008

crusader donkey
Oct 10, 2007

trilljester posted:

As a forward who plays a lot like Holmström, I humbly request you drat goalies stop whacking me with your stick when I'm outside the crease. Thank you.

I would leave you alone :) The worst I do is jabs in the back of the wheels to make people stumble. You can't score if you're flailing around trying to keep your balance. And there's no penalty unless they're completely incompetent on skates or take a dive :eng101:

crusader donkey
Oct 10, 2007

trilljester posted:

*nods* Yeah, if the goalies did that in my local league, the ref would probably call them on it maybe 50% of the time. It happens a lot, actually. But I respect you guys for protecting your crease.

Man, most of the time I won't even touch a guy standing in front of me. I'm not big (5'9"), yet very rarely do people know how to screen well so I see pretty much everything. If a play to the net isn't imminent, I'll usually chat them up a bit, asking them how they're doing and stuff. Yeah, I'm pretty much sportsman of the year and also an idiot.

crusader donkey
Oct 10, 2007

Aniki posted:

I don't want to use my acting training for evil and besides, I get a good burst of adrenaline after I get hit in the net and I generally play pretty well for a while after that.

Yeah, I'll give them a tap with my glove or stick as an "it's all good" type of gesture and get myself back into the play quickly. It's just a game and I'm just having fun.

crusader donkey
Oct 10, 2007

PenguinManAmato posted:

PMA's revenge on the world.

Jesus.

Worst I've done is two-hand the back of this poo poo head's legs when he decided to take 5 extra hacks when I already had the puck covered. I was still down on my knees and my defense had moved in to tell him to gently caress off so he wasn't facing me. I stood up and got right in his face and he punched me in the face and got ejected :v:

crusader donkey
Oct 10, 2007

Jesus, if I had pictures of my technique I wouldn't post them because it would get completely torn apart. I rely way too much on reflexes/athleticism.

crusader donkey
Oct 10, 2007

PenguinManAmato posted:

i missed this earlier, but if you guys think i'm being too harsh or what have you please let me know. i'm not that good but i know that starting with a solid mechanical basis will make life much easier in the long run. i have pretty good reflexes but the fact of the matter is that 95% of my saves are made simply because i have a good stance, play the angle and telescope properly for the situation, and i'm also big enough that i can get by just doing those two things.

No, I didn't mean that at all, sorry for the confusion. In fact, if I had decent pictures of my technique I would definitely post them because if anyone could use tips it's me. On the other hand, I use your Lean Mechanic exclusively, if I'm following your directions right anyway, and figured it out on my own somehow so maybe I'm not completely void of proper technique.

crusader donkey
Oct 10, 2007

Yeah, I really wish I had some good ones, but apparently nobody I know is competent with a camera at hockey games. I have none of me actually stopping pucks and maybe one decent shot of a real stance.

edit: here's my stance. I know my 5-hole is huge but I get comments all the time about how I show it to shooters and then take it away :c00l:

If I'm the slightest bit off or the shooter has an especially quick release I'm totally screwed though. Also, ignore the poor stick placement.

crusader donkey fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Feb 4, 2008

crusader donkey
Oct 10, 2007

Martytoof posted:

I was going through some photos I took way back when and

HELLO THIGH RISE :monocle:

Wow, how can you even move in those.

crusader donkey
Oct 10, 2007

Rick Grimes posted:

Though, I'm not looking forward to playing the Mad Dogs on the 27th. They're 4-0 (don't know the outcome of their game today), with 47 GF and 2 GA.

Just pray they get bumped up a league before then :v:
This happens frequently, teams either get moved up or down based on the first couple games. We were one that got moved down the first year we played.

crusader donkey
Oct 10, 2007

Rick Grimes posted:

Not gonna happen. With Epic Center's leagues, once you sign up for the slot, you're in it for the session. They also have a Tuesday night team, also undefeated, but with 31 GF - 10 GA. Basically, they shouldn't have a team in Weds. night period, as they're more than likely going to run away with it.

Do they have leagues based on skill where you play or do they just throw everyone together? At the place I play, you take a stab what level you are at when you sign your team up (iron, aluminum, gold, platinum). That would be pretty lame if they didn't move teams that either under or overestimated their skill level.

crusader donkey
Oct 10, 2007

PenguinManAmato posted:

Those pads are pretty awesome, Internet Victory!

Technical question: I've been having a really hard time tracking curving pucks or pucks that knuckle. It's cost me a great deal. Any ideas for improving on those shots?

Actually, I've had one of my friends who was a baseball pitcher throw pucks at me before just to goof around when everyone else I was playing with was taking a break. He was throwing curves and stuff and it were insanely hard to stop. I thought nothing of it at the time, but thinking back on that, it would be great practice for the stuff you're describing. Just make a friend who pitched baseball :)

crusader donkey
Oct 10, 2007

The pads will be fine on the floor. Paging PMA to the thread to discuss differences, I can't help you there.

crusader donkey
Oct 10, 2007

Martytoof posted:

So during the past two weeks, I learned that I should be in some sort of remedial breakaway training.

I just saw this now thanks to spring break and whatnot.
Breakaway rule #1: whoever makes the first move loses. That's actually the only rule.
What it really comes down to is figuring out how fast to back up. You really shouldn't reach the goal line yourself until the shooter is almost in your crease. For example, I'm still easily at the top of the crease when the shooter is at the hash marks. This is when the golden rule applies. If you move first or buy a deke you're pretty screwed. Otherwise, just follow the shooter and get your rear end to the puck. Of course it's easier said than done.

Just watch Richter on the Bure penalty shot from the 94 finals. loving textbook. Although JD was right when he said he was out a bit far, he gets to that post like crazy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulUFtK2xLnY

crusader donkey
Oct 10, 2007

Out of curiosity, PMA, have you been hurt from a lovely helmet or something because you're pretty animate about the topic.

crusader donkey
Oct 10, 2007

I wouldn't give up on playing in skates. Moving in shoes and skates is so different you wouldn't really get anything out of playing in shoes. When you went back to skates you would pretty much have to re-learn all your movements. I suppose you could learn some fundamentals like a quality butterfly or playing angles in shoes, but you could learn them just as easily skating. Don't give up, just practice practice practice. You really catch on in no time. I played in shoes for years before joining a league and I had the movements and angles down after 3-4 games.

crusader donkey
Oct 10, 2007

Well, goalie is by far the most individual-oriented position. With me, as long as I play a good game and don't let in any softies I'm happy after games. If the team sucks at defense, we know there's only so much we can do and it's in our best interest to keep a cool head.

crusader donkey
Oct 10, 2007

Suspicious posted:

Are you Tim Thomas from the nega-universe?

The first season I played with my current team, my gaa was around 8 or 9 and I was playing reasonably well, although not great. They're lucky I have such a good attitude or I would have killed them all and myself.

crusader donkey
Oct 10, 2007

I would be really concerned with the protection in the palm of a street hockey catcher. I had a Mylec trapper for street hockey and you could feel a tennis ball if it hit you in the palm. With that and the flimsy wrist protection I would never want to try catching a puck with it. You can definitely find better gear for not that much more money.

crusader donkey
Oct 10, 2007

I'm not terribly inflexible but I definitely can't do a decent split. The biggest problem is straining yourself when reaching across the goalmouth with your legs, I have no idea how to describe it better than this. Frankly, you don't really have to be that flexible, just enough so that you don't hurt yourself when instinctively extending yourself out to make a save.

crusader donkey
Oct 10, 2007

crashlanding posted:

Anyway, it was hard as hell and I really wonder how butterfly goalies do it. Every time someone was shooting I felt like there wasn't enough time to go down and cover the bottom part of the net so I just played standup for the most part.

The surefire sign of a new goalie :v:

also, welcome to the club :hfive:

crusader donkey
Oct 10, 2007

We had our first game yesterday. 5 goals against on 16 shots :v: We were leading 2-1 after 2 periods but goddamn am I out of shape. My positioning goes straight to hell when I get tired and it was directly at fault for 2 goals in the 3rd, although all 5 goals were caused by lovely defense. We should actually be pretty decent this year once we get in a little better shape. I had 3 or 4 nice pad stops and a couple decent gloves and blockers in the first half of the game so I'm not too torn up about the loss.

we also got robbed of a goal in the 1st by a quick whistle.

crusader donkey
Oct 10, 2007

What are you doing getting beat on wraparounds anyway, Mr. I Can Butterfly Post-to-Post?

Would it have helped if you led with your stick on the slide across? Marty Turco says always lead with your stick on potential wraparounds.

crusader donkey
Oct 10, 2007

I'm having a hard time remembering the details of what he said (it was one of those "think hockey" segments with Ron McLean during an intermission on HNIC and they don't have it up on the website for some reason) but I'm certain the stick was getting to the post before his skate. If I remember right, as he was moving over he got the heel of the stick on the post with the toe pointing out to the slot. It's pretty much a fraction of a second difference, but whatever gives you the upper hand can't hurt.

Otherwise, your skate should definitely be getting behind the post so your pad is along the goal line, rather than having the blade of your skate against the post. I think it gives you a tighter hold against the post, but frankly I have no idea. It's just the way I was told.

crusader donkey
Oct 10, 2007

If we're talking about what we suck at, I am awful when someone is coming down my left wing (their right) and drives the net. I cheat to the middle every single time and get beat short side. I'm fine on my stick side, it's only that drat left wing. I can't help it no matter how much I think about not doing it :(

crusader donkey
Oct 10, 2007

My stats are absolute crap this year. I've gotten shafted by the shot counter a couple times and my save % is sub .700. It should be closer to .8 :argh:

My team has only scored 15 goals in 7 games, so, you know, no pressure on me or anything.

crusader donkey fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jul 20, 2008

crusader donkey
Oct 10, 2007

We lost 11-2 last night to a team we could probably beat if we played to our potential. 5 or 6 of the goals they had somebody left alone in front or our defense playing a 2-on-1 terribly. The others were the defense letting the puck carrier walk into the slot untouched. I had to make 26 saves to keep us from getting mercied.

I swear we're like a bunch of 5 year olds playing soccer, everybody follows the puck. We have one defender who likes to somehow end up at the point when the other team is cycling in our zone, leaving a guy open by the net. As soon as our defense gets the puck looking to break out, our forwards are cherry picking at the other team's goal line and we either have to just dump it or turn it over trying to make a long pass. I don't mind losing but when we get killed by mediocre teams nabyfigasdfklugkjfsda.
[/rant]

crusader donkey
Oct 10, 2007

I've been planning on working on (read: learning how to) my butterfly for a few weeks but I haven't really had the time. I think the butterfly style is too boring as a whole, but as a first-save mechanic it's about as effective as you get so it could only help my game. I'm afraid I might have to buy new pads because mine are such turds that you might not even be able to butterfly in them.

crusader donkey
Oct 10, 2007

Well, the way I see it, better back out in the slot or the dots than in the back of the net. I get beat along the ice far too often, although I suppose making sure my stick is getting down and in position would be a better start.

crusader donkey
Oct 10, 2007

So I learned last week that if I'm moving side to side following a shooter and get tripped by an attacking player's skate as he's crossing the slot it is, in fact, a goal if they score and definitely not interference.

It's a 2-2 game, my 0-9 winless team against the 3rd place team, I'm playing my rear end off with 2 minutes to go in the second. This poo poo happens, I go down hard on my knee and completely gently caress it up. I tough it out, but my game goes to poo poo and I let in 4 or 5 goals that I would have stopped the way I was playing previously. We lose 8-2.

crusader donkey
Oct 10, 2007

Challenging definitely makes a huge difference. I'm out at the hash marks till the puck hits the blueline and I'm at the top of my crease till the puck hits the hash marks. I'm a small guy in the net so if I didn't do this I would get burned twice as often easily.

As for odd-man rushes, I always yell 2 on 1, 3 on 1, whatever so they can't say they didn't see the other attacker.

crusader donkey
Oct 10, 2007

People like you make me challenge even more :argh:

crusader donkey
Oct 10, 2007

Minister Robathan posted:

Yeah, I'm just going to go around you if you come out this far, because I can move faster forwards than you can backwards. If I don't think I have time to get around you (defensive pressure, whatever), I'm passing the puck, and now it's an easy tap in cause you're too far out. In any case, if you're really far out of the net, I'm NEVER EVER going to shoot, because you're gonna stop it.

Wow you must play against goalies who can't skate.

crusader donkey
Oct 10, 2007

haha we have a clash of two confident hockey players.

Top of the circles and in constitutes a quality scoring chance and it's the defense's job to keep you out of there :colbert:

crusader donkey
Oct 10, 2007

Man, I'm rocking a .848 save percentage and 3.33 gaa my last 3 games. It's easily the best stretch of my life. I've only let in one cheapie where I was a little out of position on a screened point shot and I'm usually good for one a game where I'm a little off on positioning.

I'm looking at getting into ice, is there any possibility of finding a decent set of used pads that will last me a couple years for less than $400? My budget is very limited by my student loan payments, 400 is just about as high as I could go.

crusader donkey
Oct 10, 2007

Yeah, that and a quick scan of craigslist give me a lot of hope. I'll just have to try stuff on, I have no idea what length I would use. I can't imagine using anything but my godawful $80 Tacks, I'm moving so well in them right now. They've been sliding like a dream for me on the roller sport court, It's almost like ice.

crusader donkey fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Feb 18, 2009

crusader donkey
Oct 10, 2007

I've decided that it's time to invest in a real goalie cup. Two games in a row I've had pucks hit me in the cup and deflect down between my legs into the goal and last night it was the difference between a loss and a tie. Talk about frustrating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crusader donkey
Oct 10, 2007

I've been wearing the same baseball jock the past 9 years or so, I got it when I was still skating out. The elastic is just about shot so it's time for a new one any way you look at it. If it didn't funnel goals into my net it would work just fine, although a real goal jock would certainly lessen my grief a bit when it does have to do its job.

• Locked thread