Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
crusader donkey
Oct 10, 2007

Hungry For The Cup (But Settling For Nachos)
Yes, mobility can be very hard, especially depending on the pads you use. Skating is a huge thing, practice moving on your feet a lot, especially if you play way out of the crease which I also do. Also check out PMA's (Tim Thomas's maybe, don't know if he changed the username yet at that point) method of adding plastic sliders to your pads in the earlier pages of the thread, I'm sure that would help. I use a cheap pad, though, and most of the surface is a sturdy fabric so sliding really isn't a problem for me.

In the end, there's a lot of improvisation, just try a few things and find what you like best. Going head first is pretty effective for me for those cross-crease passes, for example. First and foremost, work on your foot and pad quickness. I feel that's what really sets me apart from other goalies I play against.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crusader donkey
Oct 10, 2007

Hay guys it's been a while. I've been slowly upgrading my gear, I look like a real goalie now! Here is me then.

And now:

Not pictured: Pro-spec Pants I got for Christmas. Gloves are next, those Franklins are getting worn out. The extra 2 inches of pad width is pretty incredible, although I couldn't stop anything 5-hole after I made the switch mid-season. Now that everything is worked out, I'm leading the league in SV% and saves and am 2nd in GAA :woop:

crusader donkey
Oct 10, 2007

Gruven posted:

crusader donkey, does that happen to be Joe Dumars Fieldhouse you're playing at?

Sure is, we play Iron Thursday tier 2.

crusader donkey
Oct 10, 2007

Gruven posted:

Nice. The team I used to play for is Iron Thurs Tier 1, and they're awful.

Cool man, if you played recently you probably played us and beat us, I'm on Yourmom .com.

crusader donkey
Oct 10, 2007

Gruven posted:

I was on Cobra Kai in Spring 2009. Not as a goalie though.

wow no poo poo. one of your guys, Josh, played on my team last season

e: I think I have more "one of those games" than anyone in the world. Last night I had one hit me SQUARE in the belt buckle and somehow english itself into the net over my pad. And another where I made a good pad save on a breakaway, only to have the guy chase the rebound behind the net and take a reverse golf swing at it, pop it into the air, off my back, off my skates, and in. They scored 3 goals on deflections (one off me own guy), and I let in 2 softies. At least we came back to tie :sigh:

Before the shootout the ref comes over and says "well you won't have anybody in front to tip these." He said earlier he'd never seen so many dirty goals in one game.

crusader donkey fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Feb 5, 2010

crusader donkey
Oct 10, 2007

Yeah it's all a matter of preference. Just don't tape the whole shaft because, as Hazed_Red said, it's harder to get the stick out fast for a good poke check.

crusader donkey
Oct 10, 2007

Aniki posted:

Bending more with my knees instead of my back is something that I need to work. When I actually bend with my knees, it seems like I get more power skating, but bending with my back is a bad habbit that I have. Plus, since I'm not exactly a tall goalie it's silly for me to bend with my back and sacrifice coverage at the top of the net.

One that particular play the issue is the strength of the push; he didn't pick a top corner, he beat you to the open side of the net. For the same reason, I don't agree when you say you went down too early. A good strong push is the best way to get across the net and make that stop.

Kind of in the same vein; the biggest thing I noticed was the lack of power in your skating. When I'm challenging a shooter, I get one good push off and I'm where I need to be; here you're kind of shuffling yourself around, it just looks really really passive to me. Titanium's video is a perfect example. If there's a spot you want to be in, you have to be there right now, whether you're moving side to side or just coming out to challenge.

crusader donkey
Oct 10, 2007

Yeah, I've had my share of giant blood spots under my big toe from catching shots off there. I can't believe I've never lost a nail from it. My final obstacle to finally getting out on ice is not having goalie skates.

crusader donkey
Oct 10, 2007

gigabitnokie posted:

Okay so I have my first game on Thursday, and might get to practice once if I'm lucky.

The up-side is it's a complete beginners league and I have a huge frame with which to block pucks, the down side is I still haven't played goal in like 10 years.

Aside from the shopping cart stance, challenging the shooter, and keeping my angles good, what do I need to be focusing on? I've been wearing my pads around to get them broken in and practicing my butterfly. I feel like I'm leaving a big hole open above my pads and under my nuts though, do I need to sit down in it more? This could also be a function of my goal pants still being in the mail, so maybe those will fill the space a bit better.

So excited :unsmith:

Check out this post from earlier in the thread, it may answer your question about your butterfly.

edit: oh yeah the goal pants will help too, don't know how i missed that on the first read.

crusader donkey fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Mar 16, 2010

crusader donkey
Oct 10, 2007

aejix posted:

My mates are already asking when they can drive golf balls at me.

This reminds me of the time I had a friend who pitched baseball in high school throw pucks at me. Do this if you want to ruin your confidence. He was throwing from the blue line-ish area and I think I stopped 1 or 2 out of 10 :(

crusader donkey
Oct 10, 2007

gigabitnokie posted:

I'm guessing the angle hosed with him more than the speed.

Yep, this and he could throw some wicked curve with the pucks. I'd have it lined up with my blocker and it would take a dive about half way to the net and just totally handcuff me. It's insane how much movement there can be on a thrown puck.

crusader donkey
Oct 10, 2007

Polish posted:

Lets say for my roller blades I wanted to take off some wheels to lighten them up. Which ones would I want to take off? I'm thinking of leaving on the very first and then the last two. Or should I just leave both end wheels on.. hmm.

Leave the first and last if you want the bare minimum. Jamming a spacer of some sort into the empty spots is recommended because if you take a puck off the chassis where there is no wheel it could bend it and gently caress everything up.

I don't know if it would be worth it though; you would lose a lot of friction for good side to side pushes. Although taking out just one probably wouldn't make much difference.

crusader donkey
Oct 10, 2007

I had a roller game the first really warm day of the year two weeks ago; they still had the heat/humidifier on and it was seriously like someone poured water on the floor it was sweating so bad. My point is, strong pushes are pretty drat important :v:

crusader donkey
Oct 10, 2007

gigabitnokie posted:

Anybody know how I might have gotten a pretty decent gash on my kneecap? It's the darndest thing. Kneepads on the way!

Seems like every time I have a good game I get some sort of mystery injury. This week I bashed my blocker-hand thumb and 1/4 of my nail is purple underneath, although I remember when it happened cause it hurt like a bitch. Another reason to get new gloves I guess.

crusader donkey
Oct 10, 2007

yeah 5.22 isn't bad at all, you would be 3rd lowest out of 9 in my beer league. The leader it's me :toot: is only at 4.5.

However, if you feel like you're playing badly that's a different story. I can only speak for myself, but when I have a bad game it's because I'm not focused and my brain isn't working very actively.

crusader donkey
Oct 10, 2007

brosef deluxe posted:

I find this helps, actually. Kinda absentmindedly singing a song when I'm playing keeps me pretty focused. Maybe it's a zen thing? Best of all, it confuses the gently caress out of opposing forwards when you break out into "City by the Bay" during the middle of the play.

Oh man I had a guy when we first started up our team who would sing at the top of his lungs while playing defense. Ave Maria was his personal favorite but him and I had a pretty awesome harmony going with Hooked on a Feeling one time. I miss playing with that guy it hasn't been the same without him :( He worked so hard every shift he threw up in the locker room after more than a couple games.

Stuff like that helps me stay loose but once the puck is coming my way I have to focus because my mechanics aren't especially strong.

crusader donkey
Oct 10, 2007

Yep, jumping on the injury bandwagon. Pulled a muscle in my neck so it's not super severe, but it's bad enough that it woke me up every time I moved last night :(

It was the first time I've ever played games on back to back nights and good lord were my legs completely done after the first minute of the third. I'm sure the 9 holes of golf I played in the afternoon didn't help, both with the legs and the neck issue :v:

crusader donkey
Oct 10, 2007

I've been using the same stick since I started playing goal in '01. It is beyond mangled but I can't bring myself to stop using it.

So 8 and 1/2 years :v:

crusader donkey
Oct 10, 2007

Man I wish I was taller. I would love a set of Brian's gear but I wear 33s :(

crusader donkey
Oct 10, 2007

We had to cancel our team this season cause we couldn't find enough skaters :(

I knew a guy on the team we were supposed to play last night and the rink gave them the floor for the game time so at least I got to get out and play one last time. I also got to sub the first 5 minutes or so of the next game cause their guy was running late, so now I'm really going to miss it having got some last minute game action :(

crusader donkey
Oct 10, 2007

Gruven posted:

Sucks that your team had to drop out this season. If Josh from Cobra Kai knew ahead of time he probably could have found some replacements for you guys. If only my groin would heal I would have been up for it. :argh:

Man I just realized Thursday was technically a goon-meet, it was way less nerdy than I imagined :v:

crusader donkey
Oct 10, 2007

aejix posted:

I know I'm asking for people to shoot poo poo at me when I'm wearing the pads but for him to have a second crack after specifically being told that my babymakers were unprotected seemed a bit dickish.

Oh well, lesson learned :D So stoked to get out in them again tomorrow night! Thanks all who've given me tips and extra motivation :)

I think I speak for everyone here when I say all skaters are retarded assholes :colbert:

You would think it's obvious to not rifle pucks at head height when the goalie isn't looking, but it's actually something you have to remind people sometimes via screaming at them at top of your lungs during warmups.

crusader donkey
Oct 10, 2007

I'm interested, but I'm not sure about the size. What's your height/weight, I'm about 5'9/155

crusader donkey
Oct 10, 2007

ManicJason posted:

The last game I won was on May 16, 16 games ago (with two teams combined). It's been a summer full of playing behind 5-8 skater teams. In one game we had to steal two players from the other team just to make five. The worst/best part is that I've been playing very well but am outshot in every game at least threefold.

Can anyone beat that streak?

I once had a 17 game losing streak spanning two seasons with an incredible 8.76 gaa. Same situation with shots too, my sv% was around .700 for that span. I feel your pain.

crusader donkey
Oct 10, 2007

coldwind posted:

It's an ITech Prodigy 4.8. Mobility is great. Wasn't enough protection for me, personally. I really only got a few shots that hurt, but it was enough for me to get a new one.

If real_scud doesn't take it I'm calling dibs. A better C/A is the only piece I need to attempt the transition from roller to ice :ohdear:

crusader donkey
Oct 10, 2007

My league fees were always $50 flat rate, play for all the teams you want. And every season when it's time to pay I had one guy who would drop the "this is sooo expensive. oh but you only have to pay $50, right?" line. I always feel kind of bad but then I drop comments about how I need to replace my gloves and it's going to cost me $400 and I feel better.

crusader donkey
Oct 10, 2007

RE: The New SA Mart Thread

I hope it doesn't turn out to be people buying gear on the cheap to flip for a profit on ebay. Up til now it's mostly been people helping new players start out by hooking up cheap gear. I'll be able to get onto ice very soon thanks to the people here :unsmith:

crusader donkey
Oct 10, 2007

Martytoof posted:

I kind of hope the same. All I can recommend is sell to people you're comfortable selling to.

Maybe include in the OP for sellers to state whether their intent is just to make some money or to help out a new player. I don't know how well that would work but it might be worth a shot.

crusader donkey
Oct 10, 2007

Martytoof posted:

This is a good idea, thanks!

:hfive:

Thanks to coldwind for the C/A, I just got it all sized up. The arms are actually more flexible than my old one, I was really surprised. Skates from PMA/Tim Thomas are in the mail so it won't be long before I start posting about how I'm falling over myself learning to skate like a goalie. And not having to pay for drop-in.

crusader donkey
Oct 10, 2007

coldwind posted:

No prob, but remember that was really Joey Walnuts'. I like to think that I was just borrowing to get my start.

Oh yeah, I totally intended to thank him too but it slipped my mind when I posted. Thanks Joey!

crusader donkey
Oct 10, 2007

Our season starts back up today, I haven't played since the beginning of May :v:

so pumped

crusader donkey
Oct 10, 2007

I need to replace the cage on my mask, so paging Tim Thomas, what kind of mask is this/what replacement cage would fit it?

crusader donkey
Oct 10, 2007

Except that every shot isn't stoppable. If they're in good position, the shooter has the advantage 100%. There's only so much we can do.

crusader donkey
Oct 10, 2007

It's very possible to get good pad-on-floor movement on a roller surface, but your groin muscles will hate you in the morning and it's hell on your pads.

crusader donkey
Oct 10, 2007

^^ I love them too they are so so awesome.

crusader donkey
Oct 10, 2007

Surfing Turtle posted:

Don Simmons pants are 199 I think that's a good price for pro level pads. Though I am a Don Simmons whore now though so.

McKenney gear doesn't get enough love around here, my pro spec McKenney pants were US$125 and my pro spec cup was $65 I think and I love them both.

crusader donkey
Oct 10, 2007

Surfing Turtle posted:

Is it bad I want one of those Gatorade bottles just cause of the way the cap spout is? I hate having to open and close my water bottle lol.

No, that's the whole point of the design and it is awesome

crusader donkey
Oct 10, 2007

Not to dwell on bottlechat but seriously those Gatorade bottles are so awesome, mine took 4 or 5 good shots in my last ice drop in from before-mentioned hot shot and held up no problem other than a few nice puck marks. Mine was two bucks on amazon.com, not sure what the shipping was though I didn't buy it myself.

crusader donkey
Oct 10, 2007

I had a pretty nasty strain at work a few years ago, my doctor had me stretch/exercise it by putting both fists together between my knees and squeezing my knees together, if that makes sense. Fists = resistance. The idea is to build up the muscle where the tear is so you don't get that scar tissue instead.

I played through it for about a month or two, then kind of neglected exercising it when I went back to school and quit playing. The injury was in about the middle of July and it didn't feel 100% normal again until about March, which is certainly all my fault. Like I said though it was a nasty strain, at first just getting up out of a seat it felt like someone was repeatedly punching me in the nuts.

long story short, don't over-do it at first cause you could make it worse, but don't do nothing cause it will just tighten up and you'll be feeling it for what seems like forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crusader donkey
Oct 10, 2007

Aniki posted:

The flat-faced pants were outlawed a couple years ago. I can't really see how they were an unfair advantage, but logic and goalie equipment rules don't exactly go hand in hand.

If you have a round faced pant and don't get your glove/blocker into proper position when you butterfly pucks can hit you square in the leg and ricochet into the net :(

• Locked thread