Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
crusader donkey
Oct 10, 2007

Hungry For The Cup (But Settling For Nachos)

UnmaskedGremlin posted:

I'll tell ya what, even though some of your mechanics may be bad, those are some nice looking pads!

For real I'd love a set like that :allears:

Also, I'm trying to figure out the angle you're taking in the first and last pictures :psyduck:

As far as your stick/blocker positioning, maybe take your stance in front of a mirror to make sure you're happy with the paddle length. If you are, then concentrate on feeling the blade being flat on the ice when you're at drop in sessions and stuff until it's ingrained.

crusader donkey fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Dec 8, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crusader donkey
Oct 10, 2007

I had the most satisfying win of my life last night in our first playoff game. We're the lowest seed, #10, in our tier of the playoffs (they split off the 4 really really bad teams into their own bracket so they actually have a chance to win a game) but thanks to some weird bracketing we played #7. The team who had won 5 games in a row. They have by far the best kid in the league, 28 goals in 8 games. We played them 4 games ago and he scored 7 goals and 2 assists and we got smoked 10-3. They have another guy with 25 goals and 20 assists in 13 games.

I was thinking about this game for days before it happened because I had to stop this kid if we were going to have a chance, and I figured that being insanely aggressive was the answer. He scored once less than two minutes into the game because I wasn't as aggressive on the shot as I wanted to be, but after that I settled in a bit and played the game I wanted to and we were leading 2-1 after one. His second goal was all my fault, I was out of position on a two on one and he slid a pass/shot inside the far post that my eyes told me was rolling wide. Next our defense didn't pick up the man driving the net and the kid made a perfect pass to him. 2 goals, 1 assist for the kid.

Then I really hit my stride. I had a couple big stops where the kid cut to the slot from outside and shot low back to where he was coming from. Shots he was scoring on last time because I was over-committing to his move to the center. I was really working my stick well steering rebounds to the boards. I got really fired up on probably my biggest save of the game; pass from the corner to the kid in the high slot through traffic, I made a great save with my toe and controlled the rebound. I yelled "OHHHHH" when I saved it, and when the kid was lined up for the draw to my right, I yelled to the ref that was right there "did you see that poo poo, that was loving clutch". We went into the third down 3-2.

In the third I started heckling the second leading scorer. He was missing the net quite a bit all night, and the ones he put on me were all pretty long range easy saves that I was smothering. He shot one way wide coming down the wing and as he skated around the net I yelled "nice shot buddy!". The next faceoff in our zone I started talking to him. "Keep trying buddy you'll get one! 20 or 25 more shots like that and you'll get it! Law of averages!" So soon after the kid scores again. The defense lets him skate up the middle and he rips a knuckler into the top corner, perfect shot as usual. The guy I've been heckling takes the time to skate behind the net and say "nice save, goalie". I reply with, "what can I say he shoots better than you do". After that, you could tell by the way he was playing that he was pissed. After another couple good saves on the kid, him and the guy I've been heckling are lined up for the draw to my left and we're waiting for my team to change so I start talking to them. "This isn't like last time. 7 goals and 2 assists. I loving remember. I don't forget that poo poo." After that they really started gunning for me. I normally talk some poo poo during games, especially if I really have a guy's number all game, but this time I really shut the door and our defense and backchecking really stepped up from that point. We scored 3 unanswered in the 3rd and I made a few key saves, including a big glove save on a breakaway when we were down by 1 goal.

We won 5-4 and I finally feel like I was the difference in a game, and all my team could talk about was my trash talk that really threw those two guys off in the third. Now we get to play the undefeated team in the next round, though :v:

crusader donkey
Oct 10, 2007

seriously, gently caress The Kid, he'll be sitting at home while we play in round two :c00l:

crusader donkey
Oct 10, 2007

haha if anything, yelling like a maniac after you make a nice save is fun as hell, and I know that I personally play better the more fun I have because I really get my head into the game.

The only problem is that when I get all hyped up I tend to overplay forwards coming down the wing and give up room on the far side for whatever reason. I was fortunate that they missed the net a few times shooting to that far side toward the end of the game.

crusader donkey
Oct 10, 2007

So as expected our miracle run through the playoffs ended last night against the 12-0, first place team. Looking at the matchup, we didn't really have a chance barring more than a few favorable bounces; going into the game they had 103 goals for and 34 goals against. It seemed like the puck was rolling on us and bouncing off our sticks all night. We had the puck maybe 1/5 of the total play time and that's being generous.

That being said, I had the best game of my life. They credited me with 33 saves in a 4-0 loss. They're the only team in the league who parks a guy in front of the goalie so I had to make a ton of stops through traffic and then on rebounds in tight. Our defense did a great job knocking down passes to the slot and clogging up the middle and we went into the third only down 2-0 but at that point we were so tired from chasing the puck all night we didn't really have a chance. They were all really nice guys though so there was minimal heckling. I hacked down the guy who parked himself in front of me all game once and he gave me a good chop on the glove next time I covered the puck. I told him I don't know what happened, there must be a hole in the floor, and when we switched sides I told him hey I think there's a hole on this side too, watch out :v: He stayed more to the side of me the rest of the game.

Since I've started going to ice hockey drop-in more regularly, I've seen a big improvement in my game. I've been tracking low shots with my stick much better and that's leading to better rebound control. The extra practice is doing wonders for me. I'm also going back to a more unconventional approach to the position. For whatever reason, the past few years I've trended to a more conservative style and a more serious attitude. Because of this I became less effective on breakaways and odd man rushes. The Hasek-style sprawl across the goal line and Brodeur-style roll-on-your-back cartwheel have been effective for me in the past and getting away from them in favor of technique was a mistake for me. It's important for me to stay relaxed, focused, and intense and the best way for me to do that is to have fun and do anything I have to do to stop the puck.

crusader donkey
Oct 10, 2007

Hey Gruven, are you playing for Cobra Kai this season? Josh asked me to play goal for them/you.

crusader donkey
Oct 10, 2007

I love the all black set up. When I have the money to get new stuff I'm definitely doing a similar style, except hopefully with a more obnoxious color like the DP camo pads.

I was chatting with a buddy at drop in yesterday about the size of equipment and was thinking of doing an extensive post on the matter for news/views. I've made a few posts in the past about things such as thigh rise, but just to clearly state my position, I think this is how goalie equipment should look http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UumpTDdwHJg. With modern technology we can go back to something like this with negligible change in protection and it would make goaltending fun to watch again.

crusader donkey
Oct 10, 2007

Brodeur-esq cartwheel save. Youtube doesn't like my link apparently, it's at 1:30.

You guys have boring favorite saves :colbert:

crusader donkey
Oct 10, 2007

T-Bone posted:

sliding padstack on a two on one against the reigning state champions where I literally kicked the puck straight up in the air about 15 feet on top of the net to preserve a 2-1 victory I don't live in the past at all

Padstack is such a lost art :allears:

it's old, but that's probably my favorite picture.

crusader donkey
Oct 10, 2007

It's video time, you can all see how pathetic I look in goal :v:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eobKjbmT-TM
I wish this started like 3 seconds sooner because I made a good save here on a high slap shot. The guy had a cannon, I still have the giant bruise on my arm two weeks later to prove it. Then I showcase my hoppy shuffle skills to get square, though blue helmet guy should have shot instead of dropping it off. My teammate who lines up in front of me is laughing because I said "Jesus Christ, that stung like a bitch." Then I get scored on, I was garbage blocker side all game. All 3 of their goals that game were low blocker, my right leg just didn't want to work right.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfOS2sY6oG0
I get beat low blocker twice in a matter of seconds :v: I did get a toe on the goal, but it wasn't enough.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvYtHwMsars
A couple saves at the end of the game, 5-3 final, bonus commentary by my dad.

Two things I learned from watching myself: Even though I'm very happy with my play I look like a total bum and I need to keep my glove up more.

crusader donkey
Oct 10, 2007

^^Well the first one sneaked in from the point, if that's any sort of excuse. The second one, the puck was in skates in the corner, defense vacates the front of the net to get a closer look, doesn't actually help retrieve the puck, just watches. :downs:

Butterflying is something I would eventually like to add to my game, but those Supremes I use really don't offer much rotation so it's not feasible at this point. I do get beat 5-hole every once in a while, more often than I would like (which I think we all agree would be never) but not as much as you would think by watching the videos. I never realized how many holes I had until watching these but that's more because I rely way more on reactionary saving.

As for your 4th point, you can't tell from the angle in the video, but my right leg didn't extend and actually try to kick the puck away at all. Had my leg reacted normally and actually tried to kick away the puck, I think I would have saved it because I'm pretty sure I was square and I came out to challenge. It was just a weird night and my body wasn't reacting correctly to shots to my blocker side. Although that game was better than this past week's where none of my body parts seemed to want to get in front of pucks (9-9 tie, 8 saves on 17 shots :v: )

crusader donkey fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Feb 12, 2011

crusader donkey
Oct 10, 2007

Gruven posted:

At least give us a warning when someone is going to video tape our game, I'll try and not suck as much on defense (luckily I don't appear in most of the videos). Also, we'll have to mic you up so people can hear me call you or you call yourself "loving clutch". You know I'll never live that down.

As awful as I was in the last game, I was loving clutch in the shootout, the first save was amazing. I don't know what it looked like from the bench, but it felt like the Richter-Bure penalty shot save with the way it played out.

crusader donkey
Oct 10, 2007

Gruven posted:

It looked just as good from the bench. Should have had video of that. But I guess those other videos are useful so I can show the defense (myself included) of how terrible we are in front of you.

Not sure if I've asked before, but do you play ice at all or have you not made the jump yet? After learning on ice I refuse to ever go play net in roller.

I have played drop-in ice quite a bit and I still love roller. I love the breakaways and odd man rushes and how every shot comes from close enough in to be a scoring chance. Plus I love diving around like an idiot so movement isn't a problem for me. But of course there are times where you think if this was ice I would have been able to slide an extra 2 inches and stop that. Getting into a real game on ice would probably make me like it more too.

Speaking of diving around like an idiot, after how many years my girlfriend finally figured out how to take good pictures at the perfect time. We were missing our best player so I saw probably 10 2-on-1s in my game yesterday, she got some real keepers. No video though, I was disappointed.

crusader donkey
Oct 10, 2007

Man, my play has been oscillating between semi-garbage and complete garbage for the last month. Last night I felt like I was sleeping out there. So what better way to clear that up than 3 games in the next 4 nights. Including drop in Wednesday I'll have played 5 times in 7 days when this is over, which will be the most I've ever done and if I'm not fixed then who knows what my problem is.

crusader donkey
Oct 10, 2007

Martytoof posted:

I'm just going to go out on a limb here, but an exhausting schedule probably isn't the best way to fix your game :ohdear:

This is very true, especially because when I'm on I play with such high intensity. I'm more concerned about tiring out mentally than physically. All I'll be doing this next few days is playing hockey and sleeping so I should be ok physically as long as I keep up with stretching.

I'm still having the blocker-side problems from way back when I posted videos, I really need to put my pads on and hammer the proper motion into my brain on my own time, it's not working itself out by playing games like my problems have in the past.

crusader donkey
Oct 10, 2007

Aniki posted:

gear

Well, I am in desperate need of new gloves if you're willing to split up the set.

Because it's my goal to have a complete set of gear bought/gifted from people on this forum :v:

crusader donkey fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Apr 2, 2011

crusader donkey
Oct 10, 2007

Aniki posted:

I might be willing to split up the set, but I want to give it some time to see what kind of interest I get for the full set. If I do split up the gloves, there would be a bit of a premium, so it would likely be $300 instead of the $250 I'd charge if someone buys everything, though we'll see how things progress.

Sounds good to me, just say the word if/when you're willing to part with them.

crusader donkey
Oct 10, 2007

Just chiming in about McKenney, their stuff is cheap because of the same lack of NHL sponsorship mentioned in the Don Simmons section. Also there are Canadian flags plastered all over :canada:

I just remembered a question I wanted to ask. I was wondering about the merit of the Paddle-Down when playing the butterfly. Osgood and Howard do it constantly and it seems like they're just doubling up on coverage. It seems to me that it's pointless as long as your pads are flush to the ice, which is the whole idea when butterflying. All they're doing is opening up the whole top half of the net. Really the only situation I could see it having a use would be a quick wrap-around where you don't have the time to get set into the V/H.

crusader donkey fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Apr 6, 2011

crusader donkey
Oct 10, 2007

T-Bone posted:

edit: oh you're talking about the paddle down in the bfly? Yeah that seems pretty useless. I would only use it from the half/bfly hybrid kick save thing that Brodeur does where one leg is off the ice.

Also paddle down rules on shots where the shooter is relatively close in and has his back to you. It's really hard for someone to get the puck up as they're spinning around unless they have time to put a ton of weight on their back foot.

These are both where I use it mostly, along with wrap-arounds. Hybrid goalies represent :hfive:

I might have to try that breakaway thing next time I'm at drop in, I'm not good enough of an ice skater yet to really stand much of a chance when the better players deke, so if they were going to score anyway I might as well give myself a chance to look amazing :v:

crusader donkey
Oct 10, 2007

T-Bone posted:

The Brodeur method on breakaways also works because he's 6'1. I don't think I could use it the way he uses it because he's got three inches on me.

goddamn, we are the exact same person :tinfoil:

crusader donkey
Oct 10, 2007

T-Bone posted:

Do you over-rely on foot/recovery speed and challenge like an OJ Simpson defense lawyer, too?

Definitely :hfive:

crusader donkey
Oct 10, 2007

nahanahs posted:

If you're anywhere near a Perani's, they're unloading goalie equipment right now. Mckenney Pro spec gloves and blockers for $87 and pro spec pads for $350. There's more going on sale in the coming weeks as they hit their goalie sales.

What store was this at and what kind of selection was there? I just hit up the one in Sterling Heights and they didn't have anything marked down.

They had all the new stuff out though

crusader donkey fucked around with this message at 21:12 on May 1, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crusader donkey
Oct 10, 2007

nahanahs posted:

2011 Goalie Equipment Show - Sterling Heights, MI
Friday, May 6th, 2011 thru Sunday, May 8th, 2011

2011 Goalie Equipment Show - Livonia, MI
Friday, May 13th, 2011 thru Sunday, May 15th, 2011

2011 Player / Goalie Show - Flint, MI
Friday, June 3rd, 2011 thru Sunday, June 5th, 2011

ahh, ok. I thought you meant they were selling off the old stuff now or something in a lead up to these events. I'm definitely checking this out Friday after work. I hope they've still got good stuff left when I get there, the guy I talked to said to get there early cause they're expecting a lot of people :sweatdrop:

• Locked thread