Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
breakdancin the night away
See, the thing is I've seen it done both ways, with skate on post and skate behind post, and after re-watching some goalie dvds, it seems like the type of wraparound defines which position you go into. If it's a hard wrap, I guess you put pad on the post and give up overall coverage versus skate on the post for wraps where the guy can cut in front.

I think I just misplayed it :-\

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008

Pleads posted:

Is it a goal if you crosscheck the goalie in the head and he crumplesslides back into the net with the puck in his glove?

yup

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008

Martytoof posted:

I was always under the (possibly mistaken) impression that composite is the last thing you want if you're looking for durability.

Strangely enough, I had 6 Bauer XXs at the start of last year and I'm down to two good sticks and a cracked dead stick, which is about the same or better than I usually did with foamcore Sher-Woods (9950/9980/C10).

Also, my penalty history is buried somewhere in this thread, but suffice to say, I have had plenty. Not so many anymore.

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008

T-Bone posted:

Oh and hey I had the exact same save PMA was talking about earlier tonight and I led with my stick and saved it :shobon:

well gently caress that, time to change the way i play that shot

also, don't feel too bad about the wicked good dude being wicked good, some dude who used to play for riga hc or something ridiculous had a hat-trick and two assists, with both assists going to some kid who plays for worcester :(

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
Something that helped me with not biting was learning to make all my saves while standing up at pick up once in a while. Literally refuse to drop on any shot that is outside the hash marks and notice how yes, you CAN make those saves without grabbing the butterfly security blanket. It gives you that mental edge to be able to stay up a tick longer.

That said, everyone gets beat by going down early sometimes, be it on a good fake or in a calculated chance that fails. It happens, don't worry too much about it.

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
Wow, that looks like it'll suck to see out of unless they really push the face forward in the mask. Ick.

Good news bad news situation-

Good news: I've made 106 saves in the last two games;
Bad news: there were 117 shots in the last two games

I'm getting tired of losing.

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
it's almost like you're that dude primetime or something from hfboards

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008

HeroOfTheRevolution posted:

Almost.

Hey I am. What's up dude?

not too much, i always liked reading your posts prior to getting banned from there (penguinmanamato). you'll like it here.

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
the best part about that butterfly is that as a first save mechanic, it's loving terrible since the puck is at best going to get put back to the dots and back in the slot at worst.

i have the ability to cover the entire net when necessary with a butterfly but it's really only usable in a desperation attempt.

on a side note, if y'all feel like you've plateau'd despite being pretty good, try working your mental game. we got outshot about 2 to 1 and the last 3 minutes saw me pulling a couple saves out of my rear end, but i got a 3-2 win because i never really treated it as a pressure situation. worth a shot.

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
depends what you want to do, really. what are you aiming to get out of playing the position? are you looking to stick with it and get better? are you more just doing it as a diversion?

in other news, i tried out for the AIHL swamp donkeys the other day and i think i made the team despite puking due to the 95 degree weather in the rink. eeeuuugh i forgot how awful roller hockey is for you

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008

Koopa Kid posted:

So uh, how are you guys not outraged yet?
It's referring to the dimension on the knee wing, I think. Couldn't care less.

Brosef, go buy the Tour Redlines and grab some Crossbar wheels. $250 for the whole setup.

T-Bone, I am happy to hear that.

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008

Martytoof posted:

I miss not sucking at being a goalie :smith:

feel better; my game this week is against Tyler, Bellamy, and Billy Ryan who all graduated from UMaine. Their team is 13-0 and I think their goalie plays for some D3 school.

Hoooo boy.

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
that might have been the most entertaining game i've ever played in.

half the squad was recent umaine alumni and, unsurprisingly, outskated, outshot, outhit, and outthought our team. fortunately, their goalie was pretty mediocre, and i decided that tonight was the time to be goalie jesus.

we're up 2-0 in the 2nd with the shots something like 23 to 7 when one of our guys loses the puck off a faceoff, lets their dude walk in and he picks six hole. 2-1. two minutes later, we take a dumb penalty and on the ensuing power play they put a puck high blocker side through traffic, 2-2. thirty seconds later, same loving guy loses the puck off a face off and lets him walk in to chip it high blocker (hey, pattern!). 3-2. at this point i've stopped around 30 or so shots, 4 of which were breakaways and another 5 of which were odd mans.

third period rolls around, our guy picks a corner with ten minutes left to tie it. there's about 60 people watching in the stands at this point. umaine dude gets hauled down with 6 left and gets a penalty shot, i stone him. umaine dudes come in on 3-0, stoned. umaine dudes try 3-0 backdoor, i gamble on the poke and come up big. needless to say, i'm feeling good. one of our guys scores (!) but it's waved off since the trail ref at the blue line said it never crossed the line, contradicting the lead ref ON THE loving GOAL LINE TWO FEET AWAY. ok, fine. one of their guys chips it up ice to two guys breaking who go offsides, offsides guy puts it in but it's waved off, still 3-3. a minute to go and we take an interference yet spring a guy on a breakaway with 10 seconds left who rings one off the post. defenseman picks it up with about two seconds left, and guns one down the ice at me.

it bounces five feet in front of me and kicks dead right, over my blocker top shelf. buzzer had rang but ref signals goal.

eeeeuuugh.

edit for illustration: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meFICJYORvA

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008

sba posted:

I think all the cool goalies here wear Itech.

Right PMA?

I was unaware that I was a member of the cool goalie clan. I guess it was the Itechs that made me cool!

On a related note, I cracked 3 sticks in the past week at the mid shaft while shooting (?!? my technique must be piss poor). They were all old, but still, that means I need new sticks.

Anyone use the Itech Foamcores? I really have had it with paying $100/stick for 9990s or XXs and none of the usual suspects have had a blowout sale in a while.

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
if you're using velcro you're giving up a couple inches where a loose cord would let the chest protector flow outward

this is especially the case if you're a beanpole; if you're the typical goon i suppose velcro will work just fine

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
as much as the owner is a chode, the chest protectors sold by don simmons are top notch. i upgraded my matrix with a couple stitchings and extra pads 4 years ago and it's still a tank

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
points of note:

1) "the first sharpening" that someone up there referenced indicates a radiussing job, which ALL OF YOU SHOULD HAVE DONE WHEN YOU BUY YOUR SKATES. go with a 26" if you're new to goalie-ing and until you know any better. get it done at a place with an old guy doing the skates, trust me on this. repeat every 20 sharpenings.

2) Olie cages kinda/sorta fit badger masks, just gotta change one drill hole.

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008

Hazed_blue posted:

Is there any kind of glue out there that resists sweat? I just got done re-gluing the cloth liners in my helmet for the umpteenth time, and it's all due to my sweat breaking down the glue. Gorilla glue works great on touching up the large foam liners, but I have yet to find something that works for the cloth and Staycool liners. Right now I use a hefty helping of Elmer's spray adhesive, and that stays put for a couple months, but only if I dry the thing religiously.

sounds like someone bought a stacey!

seriously the mask is the tits and all that jazzizle but goddamn if the adhesive he used isn't the shittiest stuff ever. i've gotten in the habit of super-gluing the whole thing back together once every 3 months or so.

also y'all will appreciate this: i was playing in the mission halloween classic (and being better than raycroft) this weekend and had a shutout with about 4 mins left up 6 goals despite being outshot 2 to 1. there's a 2 on 1 and the pass gets through, guy on other team blasts a slapshot over my head and off the glass from dead center in the slot. as i'm recovering to my feet and turning my head to track it, i don't see it, so i turn it the other way; as i'm doing this the puck hits the BACK OF MY loving HEAD and goes in

i just stood there and laughed

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008

Hazed_blue posted:

Staytrix. Vintage for life. :arghfist::(

me too. stacey won't sell me spare cages. i need a spare or three as well. not too pleased on where this is going. great mask other than that though.

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
send him an email and ask, apparently mont never paid stacey or paid him enough or something ridiculous so us, the customer, get hosed

of course

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
so i made an aihl team and today is my first game. only thing is, i've been having some really bad shoulder problems, and i'm having exploratory surgery in two months. one outcome is that the guy finds nothing and i'm good to play in a week (with the same exact dead arm and shooting pains that i've dealt with for a year and a half). the other outcome is that he finds a SLAP tear, fixes it, and i'm done with shoulder movement for 4 to 6 months.

here's the question: when do i tell my team that they need to find another goalie?

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008

crashlanding posted:

How do you butterfly goalies know when to go down? I mean is it purely feel and experience or are there cues from the shooter that you follow?

mostly cues regarding stance and play flow. to be honest i'm one of those TERRIBLE MAKING THE GAME BORING goalies that uses my ability to skate and read plays and therefore challenge out to above the paint on most shots. when you have BIG BODY PRESENCE you can get away with butterflying and not giving up the top shelf over the shoulders.

long story short: challenging aggressively allows you a much better margin of error!

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
steps:

- place glove in open position
- place small weight (large book is appropriate) on top of glove
- douse inside of glove with water
- let dry with glove pressed by weight

voila

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
yeah, see, that's why i play roller. it's a better workout, it tests stamina a lot better, your rebound control has to be impeccable, your reads have to be a lot better since there's no way to easily do the post to post slides that you can do in ice (although I can slide a limited amount), the puck moves a LOT more than ice, the puck is faster, shooters have better chances since there's more room, etc.

roller isn't better or worse than ice, it's different, and in my opinion, it's more difficult for the goaltender. i like the challenge and i like coming off the rink 5 pounds lighter, it makes me think i actually did something other than stand still for 40 minutes and move for 5.

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
Hey Mandingo, where are you playing at? I used to play for Cornell and now am on the board of directors for the ECRHA. Are you going to ASW in Feasterville?

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008

Polish posted:

I just got excited because the indoor rink I play at is in Feasterville. Unfortuantly, it is in Pennsylvania.. so i doubt it is the same one.. :(

Nope, it's the same one. It's the central rink for the ECRHA, as well as the Northeast division of the AIHL and stuff. ASW is this weekend and the hockey should be pretty decent.

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
so if blackburn went from a glove to a blocker, what happens if my blocker arm goes to poo poo?

i hope the surgeon doesn't gently caress this up :-\

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
stop by a chinese place and grab a packet of spicy mustard. apply to tongue between periods. hello, clear airways!

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
sbaizzle, go grab an upholsterer's needle or a sewing awl ($5), some shamwows ($10), and just do 'er yourself. then you'd really get like 20 headbands for the same price that dude is charging.

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
if you aren't using a smith blocker you're just fooling yourself

hope this helps!

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
because pete smith is god, more or less

it's all custom order stuff and it's all terrific. my next set of pads, assuming whatever becomes of mission/itech doesn't sponsor me, will be smiths. unfortunately, i don't see that day ever coming, as my itechs are tanks and i absolutely love the pad with all my heart.

the smith blocker is basically a reduced-weight velocity with a slightly smaller glove for guys with weenie hands like mine. it is the tits.

Tim Thomas fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Feb 15, 2009

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008

gco posted:

Oh man I'd love to get sponsored... how do you go about pursuing that for future reference?

Play pro roller hockey. I'm currently sponsored by Rink Rat and there's been rumblings about playing in NARCh if my shoulder is healed by then. Mission has a relationship with my team and they provide a lot of gear to us for reduced cost or free.

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008

Aniki posted:

I am currently playing pickup and I practice with a B league team from time to time. I've faced players from beginners to ex-Junior skaters. The rink by my house does have some ex-NHLers that play there from time to time, but I haven't had a chance to play there yet. That's the one thing that is making me consider a pro level glove. I didn't have any problems with my current glove until the foam/protection wore down and I think that I would still be ok with a senior level glove. Though then there is the part of me that doesn't want to spend $200 on a glove and then spend another $400 a few months to a year down the line.

So at this point, I've ruled out the 7500 and am now leaning towards the 7407. The 5500 and 7700 are still in play, but I just don't like the 7500 and it's 90 degree break. I will say that I was interested in the Kipper spec V1 glove that they are selling on Goalie Monkey, but they only had full right gloves available. So if the 7700 is based off of the V1, then that may be worth considering. I just hate the idea of spending that much money on a glove without being able to try it on.

Do what I did: buy a cheap used glove of the type you want to try, even if the colors are off, try it out, decide if you like it, then sell it for about the same price and buy a new one if you're that anal about colors. I did this for 3 years before finding the type of glove I like, and I probably ended up spending a total of about $80 for the tryout period.

Or you could just buy any of the 590-series gloves and accept them into your home the way you should.

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008

Aniki posted:

The big thing with inline is that you need to work on staying up on shots. There are still times where dropping into a butterfly is the best save selection, but generally speaking, once you drop, you are dead. However, there are some things that can help once you are in a butterfly or on a ground. Work on rebound control, if you can deaden the rebound and either get the puck to one of your teammates or into your trapper, then they can't get that second, third or fourth shot on you. Also, you can work on directing your rebounds to the corners, so that they are out of harms way and give you a second or two to recover.
Not that I don't agree about rebound control when in the butterfly, but it's completely possible to be a dominant butterfly-only goalie with very little standing saves in roller hockey. There's a couple things that you need for it:

1) knowing how to slide
2) be at least 6'3"
3) play angles perfectly but not too aggressively on non-breakaways
4) extremely good goalie skating
5) be stellar at reading and anticipating the play

1, 3, and 4 are sides of the same die. To be a good inline goalie you need to know how to forward t-push, reverse t-push, standing shuffle, c-cut shuffle, chassis slide, cowling slide, and pad slide. For recoveries, you need to be able to pad recovery, cowling recovery, and wheel recovery. Yes, there are three different slides and three different recoveries. I'm trying to find video where it shows me using chassis and cowling slides to get around the crease and re-find angles: since you aren't actually going down all the way you slide and pop out of it.

2 is natural and allows you to not play angles too aggressively so as to not give up the top of the net or sides.

5 is a variant of positioning: once you're down you are much more likely to stop a shot and much less likely to stop a pass, so if you made a good read that's that.

I keep hearing arguments from people about how "ohhh butterfly goalies don't work in inline" yet the best goalies in the country, statistically, are all butterfly guys.

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
How much lighter is really light? I haven't had a chance to try them in stores yet, so I'm curious how much lighter they made them.

Tearing out some extraneous poo poo on my Itechs has them down to six and change pounds a pad for a 38" pad, and frankly I don't see any way to get them lighter and have them last as long as they have, so I'm quite intrigued.

If you like wearing your pads tight to the leg, Itechs are pretty much the furthest you can possibly get to that feeling if you want to retain functionality. I've always thought that they work best with the knee straps keeping the knee loose but on the landing gear at all times, and then getting looser as you go down. That's applied for every pad they've made since they ripped off the Velocity, which makes sense, since the only way you were getting rotation out of the early Velocities without strapping them in a similar way is if you had one of those models with the poofy diamond grip stuff in the leg channel. It made the pad feel like it was a lot tighter than it really was.

Tim Thomas fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Apr 5, 2009

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
Aniki, when you drive into your butterfly, is it a driving motion that you drive with your knees, or is it a dropping motion that sees your feet slide out as you go down?

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008

Deer_fire posted:

I posted this in the NCAA thread since I just realized it but I don't know how many of you are watching/have seen Bemidji State's goalie, Dalton, play but he's using a stick that has a toe curve that curves in towards him as opposed to out like every other stick I've ever seen. Basically it looks like he's using a full right stick as a non-full right goalie.

Edit: maybe I can see it because the toe curve would, theoretically deflect pucks to the corner better, but that's a shoddy theory in my opinion.

I did this for a time because I was short on cash and got a really good deal on 3 full right sticks. Puck control on deflections was tough but on the flip side I could flip the stick and pass the way I'm used to, and my passing was significantly better. I switched back and don't play the puck that much because the location control was poo poo but it's something I think about often.

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008

Martytoof posted:

If you're worried about the durability of the RX5s and have the ability to, say, double your budget for pads, you might seriously want to consider these:

http://www.goaliemonkey.com/itech-goalie-legpads-gp98srd.html

I've heard nothing but good things about them. They're not top of the line but they're not entry level either. Plus they're two-seasons-ago stock so they're getting cleared out. I think Tim Thomas (poster) had a pair of these or maybe the next level up so maybe he can comment on how they work. Plus they've got a pair in 34". I think 32 might be pushing it and your knee might end up landing at the upper edge of the landing gear but that's nothing but a guess from me.

Unless you're set on the RX pad style and graphics which I personally can't stand but to each their own right :cool:

if you fit the sizes on goaliemonkey and don't buy 9.8s at that price in favor of another set within $100 less, you're loving stupid

they're more pad than 99% of people on this forum need, certainly more than i do

unless you're one of those wonky people who only like lefebvre pads or only like pads where you can cut off your loving circulation with the straps and still see some modicum of rotation

(note: you will need to gently caress with them mercilessly before they feel quite right during the break-in process if you aren't used to a fairly stiff pad)

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008

TravBot posted:

I'm thinking about trying to get into this fine position, but have a few questions. First of all, do any of you know what the scene is like in/around Boston? I know there's hockey to be found, but is it pretty easy to find a place where they won't give me too much of a hard time for being terrible? Also, I'm really skinny. Like stick-thin. 5'10" and 135lbs skinny. Will I just be silly out there, or does that not matter too much? Finally, just doing some virtual sizing type stuff. I have a 17" ATK, and am 5'10", what would you guys say I'd probably be looking at for leg pad sizes?
massgoalies yahoo list. you'll never pay and probably play every third night if you only want to drive an hour or less and don't mind sticking to beginners' skates. if not, there's three main leagues (NESHL, Hockey Academy, and some other senior hockey league), two roller leagues, and a shitload of adult house leagues.

you probably want medium everything and 34" pads. really, you should go to sports etc. and try stuff on. it's in arlington on a bus route in arlington heights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008

Dragoman posted:

Another goalie here--reporting for duty.

Used to play ice in my youth up in Toronto but now that I live in Virginia I've just recently been getting back into things inline style (though I've been playing with sneakers). I really want to try doing things properly on wheels but I have a few questions:

1. How important are low wheels/chassis? 47mm v. 59mm right? I tried playing on some not-for-hockey-at-all rollerblades and I found my feet just sat too high. It was brutal getting back up. Needless to say, I ditched them. I'd love to hear anyone's thoughts on this issue and what skates I should get. Is it worth it to spring for the extra money on the Tour GX or the Bauer Supreme?

2. When I finally found some people who wanted to play some pick-up roller hockey in this area I excitedly (though stupidly?) bought the Tour Lexur series of pads, c/a, and gloves--they're not really that bad, but I'm ogling other things of course. I did just order a Hackva mask and itech rx9 pants tho. Can't wait for that stuff to get here. In the future, I would like to try Brian's DX series of stuff or some itech rx5/7--anyone have any experience there?

If you're on sport court:

1) Buy Tour Redline 5000 skates. They're stiffer than the Bauers, slightly cheaper, allow 59mm wheels if you're dumb enough to like that wheel size, and come with better wheels than the poo poo the Bauers come with. Then, take the existing 59mm and throw them the gently caress away or reserve them for outdoors and go spend $100 on 47mm Rink Rat Crossbars. This is my setup, at least until I rework another set of goalie skates. The Crossbars are far and away the best goalie wheel on the market, and going to 59mm reduces lifespan.

2) Itech is generally a gateway drug, UNLESS you buy their top-end stuff. I love my 9.8s and they've been through about 2 and a half years of wear on both ice and inline, with an average of 3 uses a week.

• Locked thread