Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Got with an ex-college goalie on Saturday and she really helped me out in fixing problems in my stance. One of the big things was that my stance was almost too deep and I wasn't vertical enough for my height. I also was pitched too far forward which contributed to my right shoulder dropping down.

Stick positioning was a big issue that she helped fix. I wasn't putting enough weight down on the stick and it wasn't far out enough in front of my body. This caused the heel to pop up and also caused the right side of my body to drop down too. I adapted more of a "sit in chair" stance and added some weight to the stick and it brought my upper body back in line. Saw immediate results in the shooting exercises I was doing.

On the positive side, she mentioned that my butterfly technique was good and that my reactions were correct and in keeping with the depth of the shots I was facing. I'm apparently doing very well for being self taught an only having played for 2 years come August. Basically I need to adapt to a more standup style and rely more on my stick for saves than dropping down every shot.

We've got another session lined up in 2 weeks so I'm really looking forward to that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I keep my index finger on the paddle for control reasons. You might have to rotate your finger up slightly so that you don't pinch it between the stick and the ice when going paddle down. You could also try getting a paddle with a "trigger grip" notch cut out in the paddle.

I'll also have another chance to work with a goalie coach this Saturday morning. The session two weeks ago really helped me out.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I've been doing positional and shooting drills with a coach and I feel like I have to take a break every 10 minutes because it's so exhausting. I should really start running after work...

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Jovial Cow posted:

Do any of you wear a throat guard in addition to a throat dangler? Or is it more of an either or sort of deal? I kind of want to loosen the shoulder straps on my chest protector so I can rotate my helmet more (it can get caught on the shoulder floaters when looking behind the net) but I don't wear a throat protector under my dangler and I worry about taking a shot just below the clavicle or in the upper sternum area.

I go with only a dangler. I tried doing a neck guard but it was too hot and I felt like it was choking me. I think there are some padded shirts that can help cover your clavicle area.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I too suffered a 2 hour drive, one way, to play hockey for about a 6 month period when my main rink was down.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

My rink choices are 40 minutes and 2 hours. That's what I get for living in the South.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

titanium posted:

I met 3 guys from Australia at the GGUS Chicago camp last year, how big is the hockey community out there?

Never forget Phil's mask.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

aejix posted:

Out of curiousity, did you catch their names? The community is bigger than you'd think but still small enough that there's a good chance anyone who's been playing for more than a couple years will know anyone who's travelling overseas for camps etc.

Surprised how big the Perth circuit is Spooky - we've got 2 more teams in full checking league (East Coast Super League) and our seniors comp is about same size except it goes down to Div 4 as well. That rink looks WAY better than Adelaide

I believe one of them was Mark Stone, Phil was another guy (with the Koala mask) and I didn't catch the name of the third guy.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Against tight angle shots I tend to try and remain standing or go into a VH depending on how close the shooter is. You look pretty tall so I'd agree with doing a butterfly to make this save, but you're correct that additional depth would be a good choice. It's a hard read with a close in play like this because you're trying to decide if he's going to shoot, cut to the inside or take it around the net.

You're right about your stick position being a little off with 5 hole coverage, but you are keeping your hands out in front of you, which is a positive. Your body position suggests that you were a bit off your angle to make a glove save at that distance, but you still made the same. From my experience, I try and rely on body positioning when making tight in saves because it's very difficult to effectively react to a shot from that tight in.

I've been playing really well the past couple of weeks in pickup. In fact a few people have asked me what C league team I play for (I'm a D leaguer at best.). I started working a bit with a goalie coach a month or two ago and the biggest thing I took away from that was proper stick positioning. I have a tendency to pull the heel up on my stick and it makes it so that I lose coverage and stopping ability with the stick. I adjusted my blocker positioning and switched to a wooden stick with a slightly longer paddle and I'm making way more saves down low with the stick. I'm using a 26" paddle, which may be a little long for my height (5'9") but I feel like it complements my standing stance better than a shorter paddle.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

ManicJason posted:

I was asked to sub a second game in a row in goal a couple of divisions above where I normally play. I wasn't doing too terribly for a couple of periods, but the ref gave me the best burn while taking the puck for a faceoff. "I told them this is your Make a Wish game."

drat that's a good one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Just put it in the bathroom while you're taking a shower.

• Locked thread