Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos
Hey Goon goalies! I finally got through the entire tread so now I can post!

I started on inline in 2003 in Central Washington at 21 years old, played low-level college club hockey for Central Washington University, and now I do drop-in ice and league inline in Boulder/Longmont, CO.

Just finished my first game in one of the upper leagues of inline (here: http://inlinerink.com/) after not playing that level of inline for ages. I was a bit rusty at first, but remembered how to "move" on cement and we went from being down 4-2 at the end of the second to ending the third at 4-4. Held it scoreless for the 5:00 OT period, then went into a shootout (something I've never done). There is no better feeling that destroying some cocky forward's ego in a shootout. I let in the first shot on the shootout going for a pokecheck, then stopped the next three shots. The other goalie let in the second and fifth shots and blocked the first, third, and fourth. This cocky forward got one hell of a start and came charging at me. He tried to go glove-side and I ended up doing a Patrick Roy-style glove save. What made it 100x better was that I was still going backwards so my body fell partially into the net but I kept the glove ahead of the line. The ref skated over to see where the ball (yeah, I know...) was, saw it in my glove and gave the best signal a goalie ever sees: hands straight out for no goal. The look on that shooters face was priceless and I then remembered that look is exactly what we live for. I'd like to thank the shopping cart stance for this save. That's the best piece of advice I've read in a long time for goaltending.

Now, ACTION SHOTS!

Click here for the full 604x338 image.

Me playing in a pick-up tournament for my college in 2007. Still using the Blockades and love'em.

Click here for the full 604x453 image.

This is where I used to play inline in Central Washington.

Yup, that's a Widowmaker on my head. It's getting replaced ASAP after reading this thread. :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

UnmaskedGremlin posted:

Welcome aboard....kinda given up alot shortside there aren't ya?

Yeah, I was. The picture is at least three years old, so I'm not entirely certain what's going on there. He may've just gotten the pass so I was working on moving to that side. Judging by my left skate, I'm probably mid-turn to square up.

Sadly, I'm on the disabled list for at least a week thanks to my broken nose from softball today. :ohdear:

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Hazed_blue posted:

Haha. We were tied with one minute to go, and I'm looking forward to a shootout. My team goes to break the puck out of the zone, but the pass is intercepted. Their player has it right on the blue line when my own defenseman skates into the slot area and blocks my view. They're about to shoot, so start yelling at him, "Screen. SCREEN!!!"

The shot lazily runs along the ice, deflects off of his skate and squirts to my right instead of going into my pads, and into the back of the net. With 10 seconds left on the clock.

:suicide:

I think we've all been there. I know it aggravates me something fierce when my d-men decide to try to block shots and fail at it. Did the guy at least apologize for losing the game?

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Hazed_blue posted:

Oh he apologized right as it happened. I could tell that he felt really guilty, so I wasn't gonna prod him about it. I probably should have just cup-checked him when it happened.

I like to just stare at them with a look of extreme disappointment.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

coldwind posted:

OK. What's your guys' favorite saves-types/moves?
Nearly doing the splits on a strong push to rob a perfect one timer. Doing it with a sweet glove save is always fun, but sometimes just blocking it with the leg and giving out a rebound only to save the shot off that rebound is even better.

That, or the Hasek pad-stack on a breakway.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5u0khFnHUg
I love this move on forwards who think they're hot stuff but deke with their heads down.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

brosef deluxe posted:

So I literally jumped in the air and headed the puck like a soccer player, where it popped back into the slot past all the onrushing forwards and to my defenseman for an easy clear.

Sometimes, it's luck, sometimes it's skill, sometimes it's just being loving crazy that works.

I use my head way too often. I had no actual goalie coaching/training so I just do whatever it takes to stop a puck. In hindsight, this is a stupid idea with the Itech 1400. Being loving crazy is my strategy 50% of the time. I figure no one knows what I'm going to do if I don't know what I'm going to do. :v:

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

real_scud posted:

Or you could be like me and find new gear that just so happens to fit with your red jerseys perfectly, then halfway through the season everyone on your team decides we're going to go back to our old blue jerseys because they have the EA logo on 'em :negative:

:lol: I read this an immediately thought of the EASHL.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos
Not my gear, but found this surfing around today:

Discuss!

My D-League started up last night after practices the first two weeks and I am so glad. I had been playing inline for teams during the fall (CHAMPIONS! :woop:) but now it's back to being mobile again on the ice. While I learned to play on inline, it's really not a good fit to my reflexive style of play.

Won my first ice game of the season 3-2 with the two goals being somewhat fluke goals. The first one was an unstable puck that was shot and ramped up the paddle of my stick and over my leg pads. I had already noticed I'd started to have a bad habit of stopping too many things with my stick instead of letting my pads stop it and that goal was the icing on the cake. The second goal was me putting my stick in the way of a cross-crease pass that I then deflected in for them. Luckily I had a full-stretching glove save and a dive back across the crease stick save to make up for my stupidity. The best part of that last save was my team amazed and telling me how awesome it was. In reality, I was horribly out of position. :ohdear:

I'll join in on the equipment photo whoring a bit later.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

ManicJason posted:

That sounded kind of confusing, so to clarify: on low shots between your knees or so, you want to pull the stick in tight to one of your pads to deflect the puck low and into a corner. On low shots toward your toes or farther out, you want to keep your stick out away from your pads to deflect the puck up and into a corner/off the rink. Rebound control is a hell of a lot easier with your stick than your pads.

I followed you all the way. What happened on that shot was I went paddle down (I don't know why) on a shot coming at my leg pad. I should've clarified a bit better in saying that I've been going paddle down way too often lately for who-knows why. I hadn't really ever thought about the stick position for the shots off the toes though, thanks!

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

ManicJason posted:

They just make me wonder if he unlocked the achievements for real or if he shelled out the MS Points.

This was genius. Apparently not everyone thought the camo pads in NHL 10 were absolutely stupid. The problem with him wearing camo, is no one will be able to see that he is actually in a hockey game.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Surfing Turtle posted:

So I played on ice for the first time tonight as a goalie. I am in love. I do have bad habits from roller but I definitely love the movement on ice over roller.

I'm with marty on this. It is the most :smug: move. Just wait until you do that and make a save on a one-timer with it. You will feel like the most bad rear end player on the ice and your team will be all :stare:. I play both ice and inline right now and I hate going back to inline, but our rink is always short on goalies so I play.

Aniki posted:

So how do you guys handle 200 lb players who park their rear end in front of the net? I'm normally able to push them in their lower back and move them out of the way, but I had a guy who would just not move. I had some points, where I just had to push him forward with both hands and just butterfly behind him to cover the low shot. I don't want to resort to Hextall manuvers, but when a guy is doing that, I'm not sure what the appropriate level of physicalness is to respond with. He's just one of those annoying players that screens the net and trys to bang in garbage goals and I want to take him out of his game the next time I face him.

I don't go Hextall, but I do usually start giving the back of his skate blades a couple of good hacks. If he's being an rear end and actually getting physical with me, I'll go for the flat-out trip unless he's in the crease. If he's in the crease, I'll go for the interference call.

As for stretching/warm-ups, I'll get all my gear on and then start with my hip flexors, then my groin. Head out to the ice after the Zamboni is done, then I'll skate a couple of laps in our zone going both forwards and backwards. Then I scuff the hell out of my crease. Next I do some more flexor and groin stretching followed by the stretch where you lay back while in the butterfly. Lastly, I'll stretch my arms holding them against the boards. From here I take shots for a couple minutes, take a break and stretch some more, then take shots until the end of the warm-up period.

Played in my third ice league game on Friday against the #2 goalie in the league. Coming into the game he had a .900 save percentage with 30 shots over two games and I was at .928 with 50 shots over two games. Came out of it with my first shutout in an organized league game with 27 saves. Yeah, I stole the puck from that game. :smugdog: I'm starting to set the bar high and I'm not sure if that's good...

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Surfing Turtle posted:

Should I just spend the extra 30 bucks and get the pro spec Bauer jock or spend 80 get the Don Simmons one? I want to be able to have babies after this!

I'd spend the extra $50. Why spend all the money on pads and stuff and then go cheap on something like that? Speaking of, my Hackva mask is only a day away from me!

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos
Well, well, well. Look at what the UPS guy gave me today. :D

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Surfing Turtle posted:

sweeet I love my Hackva

It's replacing this:

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

gigabitnokie posted:

So tonight we split the cost of renting the ice for an 80 minute session with what is allegedly the best team in the D League we're joining. Went over some stuff as a team for like 45 minutes and then played pretty drat well scrimmaging the other team and only got better as the game went on. Zamboni guy let us play for an extra 10 minutes to watch "The goalie duel" which was awesome, plus afterwards the three ringers from the other team came up and gave me some love for robbing them time and time again. :smug:

Oh and I have a lead on somebody that might want to come video tape my games (okay its my brother but hes a flake) which I think would be the single best learning tool for me outside of paying for dedicated goalie coaching. Anybody have any insight on watching game film of yourself? Has it helped?

Goalie duels are the best, and I'm not just saying that because I'm a goalie. Seems when no pucks are finding the back of the net, everyone ups the level of play. That and I like the pressure of only having a 1-2 goal differential either way. I'm not the only crazy one, right?

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos
I wear what is essentially Itech long underwear, my jock, no hockey socks, but regular socks. If I go with hockey socks, my pad rotation is all messed up.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Aniki posted:

Also, make sure to set aside about $300-350 of your budget for a mask. We typically reccomend Hackva, since they offer a highly protective mask for a reasonable price.

So glad I got rid of the widowmaker for the Hackva. Sure enough in drop-in last week I took two hard shots off the cage that were enough to make my ear ring, but no damage to the mask and nothing happened to me outside of the ringing that went away in five minutes.

I've tried something new off and on so I'm asking for your opinions on it. Do you wear your suspenders under the C/A or outside of the C/A? I've been wearing them inside the C/A forever and it feels weird to wear them outside.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Martytoof posted:

:lol: This is the first comment from an article someone posted in the GDT on Hiller's mask:

I had just read this this evening and came here to post about it. That guy just kept going on and on about goalies and how egotistical it is to paint your mask. It was crazy.

Aren't Millers pads not flat-faced?
From the high-res NHL images thread:

I guess you could say his Revokes are a bit more flat-faced than his old custom X-Pulses.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos
After two straight weeks of my team allowing 46 and 54 shots respectively, my team went the polar opposite and only allowed about 15 last night and I'm still hovering around a .925 save percentage this season.

I've also been playing drop-in and all the college kids are back in town for break. I'm about to go blocker punch some of these guys when they keep aiming for my water bottle or in drop-in warm-ups. I'm not a fan of getting hit in the head during warm-ups. :argh:

In good news, I am going to be selling my older CCM Blockades and have become the proud owner of Vaughn V3 7500s (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rt=nc&nma=true&item=300505478486&si=cdQIMH%252FrJfRm5nWHte57x47Rxtc%253D&viewitem=). I'm using some beat-up V7000s for inline and they really work with my unorthodox style of play so I'm hoping these 7500s will work well for me. Any one else using these pads with some tips for them?

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Martytoof posted:

Too few shots is just as bad as too many for me though. I'm either overworked or I'm underfocused.

True. That nearly happened to me last night during the first period when they allowed only two shots so after the game I asked my team for something in the middle. I don't mind a lot of shots in game except if I'm having to make third and fourth efforts because I'm giving up rebounds and my d-men aren't clearing the puck.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos
Just got my 7500s in last night and the eBay listing was slightly misleading as they have some inline wear on them :wtc:. I still got a good deal, but there's one weird thing with them: there is no knee cradle. Looks like the guy who had them custom made didn't want a knee cradle, because there are no signs of it being cut out. Instead, I only have the two behind the knee leather straps. This seems highly unusual to me. I'll get pics up after I finish breaking them in a bit more. The break at the toe was hardly anything so I'm fixing that.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Martytoof posted:

Do you mean no landing gear at all? I'm certain you can't mean no landing gear at all. Please tell me you don't mean no landing gear at all :psyduck:

Oh God no. It has landing gear, just no cradle.

It's missing that velcro strap and the two thinner pads on either side of the knee. It's also missing the two plastic quick release snaps pictured there.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Martytoof posted:

Ohh. OK. That's actually what I want to remove on my next set of pads too. I'm insanely jealous now. Thanks :stare:

You're welcome. :smug:
I just bought a set of Vaughn knee pads to go with them to see how that'll work with me. I won't get to test them until Monday, though. :(

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

real_scud posted:

Which knee pads did you get? I have a pair of VKP's and man I don't think I can use 'em after trying to play in 'em for a game.

I got the VKP7700 pads. The reviews seem to have people saying their legs aren't thick enough, but that won't be a problem for me.

e: Marty, I just strapped them on and I don't know how you can have your pads that loose. I like my pads a bit loose, but at the last notch they're hanging really low.

Bradf0rd fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Jan 3, 2011

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

real_scud posted:

My legs are thick enough, but the issue is that even with that they still slide down your leg after going into butterfly once or twice.

To combat that I put did the straps pretty tight, and used some tape below the kneepads, and also around them and it really hindered me during our game. By the end of it my legs hurt so much from the straps + tape that I was hesitant to get into a butterfly because of the pain.

Hmmm, I'm thinking I may find a way to attach them to my pads. My order hasn't processed yet, so would I be better off ordering the VKP8800s or the Reebok Premier 2s with the garters?

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

parsleyc posted:

If either of you are interested, I could sell them to you for $20 + shipping. If you don't like it, you can ship it back at your own cost and I'll refund the money.

I'll take them if real_scud doesn't like 'em.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Aniki posted:

My old pads are, does that count?

Edit: I may even re-tape my sticks for the first time in months!

Months? Ha! I go at least a year, usually. The blade cuts are badges of honor!

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Surfing Turtle posted:

Am I weird for not tucking in my C/A? Also I ordered some 72 inch laces for toe ties. I was using regular length laces after I snapped the set that came with my pads. Pain in the rear end with the longer laces thank God I found the right length.

Nope. I don't tuck it in either. The couple of times I tried it, I felt I lost some mobility which pretty much kills my game. Am I weird for hating toe ties?

Also, I finally took pics of the new stuff after trying it out for the first time last night.

Vaughn V3 7500s
I'm now pretty much black from head to toe. I wasn't sure what wearing NHL-spec gear was going to be like, but I actually like the 11" wide pads a lot more. I don't feel as clumsy being only 5'9" in 12" wide pads. I'm switching from these things:

CCM Blockades
The move to a hybrid from a butterfly pad went well last night. I'm loving the +1 thigh rise that I don't have in my CCMs and the two breaks work better for my style (or lack thereof). The glove is also more of a catching glove and sits flush with the ice on a cover, which is more my style. I rigged up the thigh boards last night to at least hold the pads closer to my knees as they were way too loose without the knee cradles.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

polydizzle posted:

Whats the point of wearing knee pads again? If you already have your goalie pads, and the pads from the goalie pants coming down...

Went to my second beginners clinic last night and decided to stick around for the pick up, got 3 periods rotating with another goalie for 2 games. People were starting to call me the heart attack kid, for some reason im very aggressive and if the puck is along the boards i will move out to play it, which i sometimes miss and then fall over and leave an open net :[ So much fun though. Really want to buy my own gear but its starting to slow down at work and so is teh cash flowz.

They also do something really weird, its beginnier pick up, but every "penalty" results in a penalty shot, even if its a high stick at center ice/rink. So it was fun to do break away shots and stuff, and I was 3/3 :smug:

Breakaways/Penalty Shots at the beginner level are fun. I usually charge out of my crease as soon as they touch the puck. If their head is down, I go for the pokecheck.

If you're not wearing knee pads or thigh boards, be ready for a shot to hit right above your knee and oh will it hurt. I like them also for just a bit more of a pad on the landing gear. My knees aren't in the best of shape so every little bit counts.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

polydizzle posted:

I did this each time, i dont think they were expecting it, I went all the way out to the hash marks lol.

The pads I was using had an extra pair at the top that were flapping all over the place, but they overlapped my goalie pants pads, Im assuming they are the thigh boards? I actually tucked them UNDER my goalie pants as so I had full protection. Normal? Dumb?

Did you charge and stack the pads? I find doing Hasek-style saves freaks people out the most and gets the most laughs from your teammates.

To reiterate what titanium said, it depends on the thigh board for where it goes. On the CCMs I posted, those went on the outside of the pants and would occasionally get caught on my pants. On my Vaughns, the thigh board goes inside the pants and wraps more around my thigh.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Martytoof posted:

Playing tonight after four (?) weeks of no hockey. My hips hurt just thinking about the splits right now.

I went out last night after two weeks off. Just about killed my hip flexor near the end of the hour long drop-in. Have fun!

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Aniki posted:

The old Koho company was bought out by RBK and no longer exists. Goalie Monkey owns the rights to Koho and they use that name for their own gear. I believe that a lot of it is updated versions of Koho designs, but I'm not sure how far they've drifted from the original designs by now.

Isn't the equipment still made by Reebok, though?

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos
Oh man, it's been a busy couple weeks full of hockey. Two weeks ago I got a phone call to play with a bunch of guys at Pepsi Center for an hour before the Preds vs Avs game. Someone took some pictures, but nothing that great:
Deflecting a shot to the boards:

Watching the puck leave the zone:

Bored:

They give us three, 20 minute run-time periods with the scoreboard and everything. Our refs decided to end the game with a penalty shot because the forward took a dive in front of me. I did one of those pushing backwards, extending the pads back saves that I paid for the next day in hip flexor soreness. Either way, chalk up a win. It was quite the realization that there I was, skating on the same sheet as goalies like Roy. Oh the ice quality :allears:

The next day I played in two league games, one for my team and one as a sub. Finished my team's game with a 5-2 win and snagged a 6-1 win as a sub. Day after that was two hours of drop-in with me as the only goalie. It all caught up with me on Sunday with a sore groin, hip flexors, and knees from the number of butterflies I did.

I have a game tomorrow and should have someone there taking photos and video. I'm equal parts looking forward to the film, and dreading what it'll show me.

The new Vaughn V3s I got in January are treating me quite well and I love the increased mobility I have in them compared to my CCM Blockades. Goes well with my reflexive style. The Vaughn kneepads I got for the lack of a knee-cradle do seem to fall down, but they're still manageable and don't fall far enough down to hamper my moves.

Going back to favorite saves, mine is a toss up between a couple. I love making the initial save on the right side of the crease only to send the rebound to a waiting forward on the left side giving them a wide-open net and then stealing the easy, open net goal with a fully extended glove save. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jg1JVvFFSRM#t=0m40s the Lehtonen one). That and the diving back across the crease with your stick.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

UnmaskedGremlin posted:

^^^^Is there someone laying behind the net in that first picture? Either way, awesome that you got to play at the pepsi center!
Yeah, he lost an edge skating behind the net. Silly forwards. :haw:

UnmaskedGremlin posted:

I ended up with mine being the lowest strap (not boot) at the first notch on my strap, the second up on the second notch, and the third up on the third. My knee wrap I keep snug, and then the top the straps (which are plastic click-in types) are all fairly loose. I get great rotation out of mine, but of course, different strokes.

I lock my lowest strap down just about as tight as it can go, while keeping the other straps relatively loose. I get rotation on the pads and rarely get over-rotation. The boot is just tight enough to allow some rotation and I still don't use toe-ties but I plan to tomorrow at drop-in.

UnmaskedGremlin posted:

Same here for me. Chest is tight and tied to my pants, arms are pretty loose except for around the wrists, I keep snug but not tight. I actually had to adjust my arm straps down lastnight, one of the arms had only one of the straps actually connected, and the elbow floater was untied in two corners! Loose wasn't even the word for it.

I wear the C/A as tight as you can get it, over the suspenders and not tied down to the pants.

UnmaskedGremlin posted:

EDIT: And also, I was at the local pro shop a couple weekends ago (buying my 2 year old skates), and I noticed the newest (most expensive) Bauer sticks have some sort of neat little adhesive stuff at that spot, and you wouldn't even need to tape your stick! I'm not spending $200+ for one though!

My two new composite sticks I got have that and I love it. I got mine on sale from GoalieMonkey for around $150/each, shipped. The composite takes a bit of getting used to, but now I really like the lightness of the stick.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Martytoof posted:

Bradf0rd, that's awesome! How did you like playing on pristine NHL ice? When I got a chance to play at the St. Pete Times forum before a Lightning games I went out onto the ice and I was all -- "this ice is TOO good :colbert: " and it kind of threw me off for a while :lol:

Also, I have to say I'm not usually one for primarily black gear, but your black/silver setup looks really really sharp.

That pristine ice was crazy. I stepped on it and just glided. Cut up my crease with ease.

I was hoping to go with the all white set-up, but those pads hit eBay for $700 with a season of play on them and decided to get them. On the bright side, I match just about any team I play with now. :v:

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Joey Walnuts posted:

I tackled a forward today. He flipped the puck up on his stick and was going to do some mickey mouse bullshit lacrosse shot. So I hit him. He went down. The puck went to the boards. It was rad. Won 8-2.

Good work. I'll do stuff close to this. If some forward is trying that crap or is deking with their head down, I'll charge out and stack the pads, Hasek vs Gaborik style.

Joey Walnuts posted:

Embarrassing story time. We won last night 4-1. 12 seconds left in the game and I grab slow wrister with my glove. I'm just trying to run out the clock so I drop the puck for my forward to pick up. Here's where the embarrassing part comes into play. It wasn't my forward that I tossed the puck to, it was theirs. Shut out denied by stupidity. That sucked.

I did something close to this last week at my game. I blew my shutout by deciding to glove a slow shot that was going five-hole on the ice. It was one of the easiest shots to stop of the night, and for some reason I tried to glove it. :stare:

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

coldwind posted:

It wouldn't be acceptable not to.

This.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos
Welp, it's been a bit since I've posted anything and that's because I've been busy and on the DL. Two weeks ago, I was on top of the D-league world after carrying my team to a 3-2 shoot-out victory against the #1 team, handing them their first lost. Then, the following Tuesday, I was playing softball and felt a terrible pain in my right hand. Went to the doctor and came back with this:

It's a spiral fracture of my fourth metacarpal in my right hand sometime during the softball game. I think it happened on a hit that I took off the handle of the bat but still managed to put it to the fence. Then I tagged someone barehanded and it hurt pretty good. After diving for a ball at shortstop and using my right hand to brace the fall, it really hurt. Went in the next day, got xrays and tada! Fracture! I was on the bench for my hockey game the following Friday and that is a weird place to be. So then on Tuesday, I got upgraded to this:

I have four weeks of this however, I was able to modify the cast enough that I can get it inside my blocker and hold on to my stick with two fingers and my thumb. The doc said that's fine, so come playoff time in two weeks, I'm back in net. I led my team to a 12-4 record (2-0 w/o me against the two bottom teams) so I'm going to be there for the playoffs. I lead the league in save percentage and my team has allowed the most shots on goal...Luckily we are the #2 seed so we earned a first round bye, giving me an extra week to make sure this cast will work in the blocker.

So, with that slightly depressing news, here are some fun pictures!
League play:

Outdoor drop-in:

Critique away, please!

Somebody fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Mar 20, 2011

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Martytoof posted:

Bradf0rd, I edited the pics in your post because you were linking to the original 4000x3000-something pics. [timg] downloads the entire huge pic and only resizes it in the browser after the fact so it makes the page crawl. I know imgur makes this a pain in the rear end :q:

Thanks. :hfive:
I was considering doing that because god drat was the page loading so slow. I miss waffleimages. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Aniki posted:

Bradf0rd, your stance looks good to me and the only thing that I would suggest is possible switching to a stick with a smaller paddle. It's not a huge deal, but in this photo, your paddle seems too tall and your blocker is in a bit of awkward position. If it works for you, then don't worry about it, but it may be worth considering the next time you buy a stick.

Thanks for the input. I bought that stick online, not paying attention to the paddle length, and it seems to be working so far but looking through these photos, I was kind of thinking the same and you saying something confirmed my suspicions.

Aniki posted:

The only other thing that I noticed is that in this photo, you were too deep in the crease. I'm assuming that it must have been a rebound situation, but with two shooters in the high slot, you should really be on top of the crease to help cut off angles and even if there were a third shooter near the net, then you should still be on your feet at that point.

Looking at the rest of the sequence, it looks like the puck was in the corner, so I went down to slide across the crease as the other team passed it out. Probably not my best move. Normally I have the problem of being too aggressive, so hearing someone say/seeing myself that deep is a bit of a surprise.

Some of those probably looked a bit desperation, but my "style" is mostly reflexive so it's only partially desperate. Looking through the sequence of the picture with me reaching back across the crease isn't really a save. Looks like my d-man decided to flub a pass and nearly put it past me but that does bring up the biggest thing I'm trying to work on, my lateral slides down in the butterfly.

I hope to get some video in the very near future since the camera we recently bought does video, too. Thanks again and good luck, Aniki.

• Locked thread