Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
When I play inline, I want more of a stay at home defensemen, since my team gives up a lot of breakaways and it is nice to have someone there to play the pass so that I can focus on the shooter and clear loose pucks in front of the net. If we he can block a few shots along the way and not constantly screen me, then that's a bonus. We had one guy on my last team that could do that, but when he was off the "ice", our team concept of defense was non-existant and everyone pretty much just chased the puck, which led to me being bombarded with breakaways all game.

When I play ice and we can actually have two men dedicated to defense, then I'm a bit more open about what I want from my defensemen. Clearing loose pucks is still a priority, but if they want to be a little more involved in offense, then that is fine with me since breakaways are rarer and slower developing in ice hockey. I will admit that if the defensemen is more involved in the offense, then he needs to be able to backcheck and at least try to stop the breaking shooter from getting off a clean shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
Do you guys have any advice on learning to track the puck off of your pads? I generally do a good job of stopping the first shot, but I struggle finding the puck after I made the initial save. I know that part of the problem is that I try to rely on feel too much, so I'll have times where I made the initial save and thought that I had control of the puck only to have someone pluck the puck off of my pads and into the net. I know that I need to get better at not losing track of the puck after it hits my body/pads, but are there any tips or even drills that I could do to help improve my awareness of the puck after making the initial save?

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

T-Bone posted:

One of my high school goalies has this problem, and it seems to somewhat be a symptom of extreme reliance on the butterfly (basically he's loathe to get out of it after the initial save, even if he's not quite sure where the puck is).

To help counter this, I run a good five-ten minutes of scramble drills with him every practice - where the first shooter fires a low shot from the slot, and the second shooter comes from the side boards and plays the rebound until it is covered, in the corner, or in the net.

Secondly and more importantly, on just about every drill I run with him I'll stop it if he isn't looking pucks into his equipment. I don't care how comfortable you are with your pads or gloves, if you're not looking the puck all the way into your save its going to hurt you eventually.

My friends and I always play rebounds when we drill, so I think that we are taking the right approach in that regard, but I think big issue is that I just don't watch the puck hit me all of the time. It is a terrible habit and it is something that can easily lead to a great save being nullified by a garbage goal. I've gotten better at tracking the puck off of the stick and now I need to follow the puck into my body/gloves so that I don't lose sight of rebounds and actually know when I'm covering the puck and not just hoping that I somehow pinned it underneath my body.

titanium posted:

Be sure to just practice keeping your eye on the puck during warm-ups or practice. Another thing you could do is suggest that the drills you do allow for the player to make rebound shots so that you dont get in a "the first save was good enough" mindset. It should become instinct to either cover or divert the puck from the crease after some practice.

We try to do a lot of drills where they start off by shooting the puck off of my leg pads and we play the rebounds. I do well when I start standing up, but I really want to do a similar drill where I start out in a butterfly and work on tracking the puck and rebound control from that position. That way it at least puts me into the situation where I'm struggling and I'm forced to work on tracking the puck and playing rebounds from that position. I think that if I can get this issue sorted, then I'll be a much better goaltender, since I know that relying on feel and peripheral vision is a very risky and ineffective way to play net.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
Edit: Whoops double post.

Aniki fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Feb 2, 2008

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

trilljester posted:

As a forward who plays a lot like Holmström, I humbly request you drat goalies stop whacking me with your stick when I'm outside the crease. Thank you.

My good friend who got me actually playing hockey is doing the goalie thing now for our beer league team. He's got all the gear, however the last couple of weeks his LCL on his right knee is acting up. Is that common with you folks?

No, playing near the crease is dangerous both for skaters and goalies and if you don't want to be shoved around and whacked at with sticks, then you need to play further out. Otherwise you just need to accept it as part of camping out in front of the net.

This actually reminds me of the subject of takedowns. I don't know how many other goalies do this, but I seem to have a high propensity for knocking down skaters in front of the net. A lot of it is unintentional though over time, I've developed a couple moves. The most practical one is to use a paddle down save on a breakaway, which if executed properly will stop the puck and send the player sliding towards the boards.

The other move, which I have only pulled off once happened when I had a skater that had slammed into me a couple of times on breakaways and spent the rest of his time camping out in the crease. The usual methods of pushing him out of the way and knocking at his skates weren't working, so at one point of the game he was in front of me and the action started heading towards the left side of the net, so I shuffled across the net and hooked him with my arm along the way and when I dropped to play the shot, I took him down with me and used his body to block the shot. The action then moved towards the right post, so I pushed off of him and knocked him down again to gain momentum heading towards the other side of the net to make the save. He eventually beat me on a breakaway when my idiot team decided it was a good idea to change all four skaters on the fly, but he has yet to camp out in front of me since them.

Also, does anyone else try to pop right up whenever someone collides with them in the net? I think that I picked that up from Randy Moss back in his Vikings days, because whenever someone would land a big hit on him, he always made a point to jump right back up and act like it didn't bother him at all. I don't know how effective that is in terms of intimidation, but it certainly is one part of the mental game that I try to use to my advatange.

As for LCL soreness, I've had that a little. Nothing too bad, but it was enough that I was aware of it. That's actually another reason why goalies do not want people in front of the crease. Their knees are very exposed when they're in the butterfly and if someone lands on them the right way, then that can lead to a major injury.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

T-Bone posted:

I've found that rapid fire and warmup drills actually help to reinforce this bad habit. If your goalie is trying to get in position for the next shot rather than worrying about the initial save he starts waving at high shots and gets casual with his rebound control.

I always try to get coaches away from these kind of drills when I'm helping out at another team's practice. There are better ways to condition your goalie.

p.s: the horseshoe is the most worthless loving drill in existence, both for goalies and players

double p.s: My high school team qualified for states last night and we're on a six game winning streak, I credit a lot of this to my starting goalie's loving amazing rebound control :woop:

Warmup drills are pretty much useless for me, since the shots generally happen fast enough that I can't set for the shot and a lot of times I'll end up playing every other shot, because I can't get set and start reading the shot properly. As for trying to play the next shot, the speed of the game dictates that you need to always be thinking ahead. The best thing you can do on a shot is to control the puck either by catching it, gut trapping it or sending it to the boards. However, sometimes you're screened or know a bang bang play is coming and you just need to try to get yourself to where you think the puck will be.

Also, what is the horseshoe drill? Is that the one where shooters rotate taking breakaways from the left and right boards?

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

UnmaskedGremlin posted:

I usually try to stay down to draw a penalty, or get it be a double minor or something by writhing in pain. :)

I don't want to use my acting training for evil and besides, I get a good burst of adrenaline after I get hit in the net and I generally play pretty well for a while after that.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
I played last night and worked on watching the puck from the stick to my body and actually focusing on where the rebounds went and it seemed to make a big difference in my performance early on. Though towards the end of the session (there were only two goalies) a combination of fatigue and going up against the better team eventually did me in, but I'm not too concerned about that since open hockey turns into a test of endurance after a while.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Krime posted:

Hey all you goalies... Don't forget I can get you RBK Practice jerseys in a Goalie Cut, in any of the colors... just takes a while since its a special order. :)

Is it possible to get a North Stars or Team Sweden practice jersey?

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
Here are some images of me in my gear as well my stance and butterfly.

Stance. Notice how I'm cheating towards the trapper side? Yeah, I need to fix that.

Close shot of my butterfly. It looks like my trapper is way too high.

For some reason I seem to have adopted the screen stance at all times. :( I also noticed that I'm bending more with my back than hips, which isn't good and considering that I'm 5'7, I need to be more upright for that shot.

Aniki fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Feb 4, 2008

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Internet Victory posted:

Aniki your pads look like they're 5" too short in that butterfly picture. Hope you got some beefy knee protection. Bring your gloves down.

I noticed that too. They're 34" pads, but the next time I get pads, I either need to get bigger pads or make sure to get a +1 or 2 thigh rise. I did have thigh boards on those pads, but I took them out, since they kept on getting caught in my pants.

Also, I'll make sure to bring my gloves down.

Edit: Here is a long range shot of my butterfly. Should I try to bring my knees closer together when I'm butterflying or are my pads simply too short?

Aniki fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Feb 4, 2008

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
I'll work on that. I can get my knees to close sometimes, but it is far from consistent. I know that I need to keep my knees closer together when I drop, so I'll start from there and see what I need to do.

Aniki fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Feb 4, 2008

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

PenguinManAmato posted:

bigger issue: why are your skates facing outward in your stance? i was always taught to slightly pigeon-toe. this makes sense from a butterfly push perspective (less so from a t-push, but that's for when time isn't of the essence as is), so i'd do that. also, yeah, your bend should be spread between knees and back (think of it as a wall-sit with a slight forward cant). as you drive your knees (which are coiled and therefore ready to explode), your torso should "uncoil" into the space you were in as your knees fill the five hole.

I think that's where my lack of formal coaching shows up. I really didn't know any better and I think that I was mimicking the feet position for when I squat, which is why my feet are facing out not in. This is also probably why I have difficulty maintaining a stance with my knees close together, so changing my skate positioning may help solve both problems.

It is amazing how many flaws show up when you look at yourself in a picture and I can only imagine that it would be moreso if I had video. I wish I had taken photos sooner, but I may need to put on my inline skates and work on this in the garage this week.

Keep the advice coming this is really helpful.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

soggybagel posted:

Another question...why are the pictures taken in night vision mode?

My friend is obsessed with the night vision feature of that camera, so he looks for any excuse to use it even when it's not necessary.

Aniki fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Feb 4, 2008

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
Have any of you had experience with stress fractures? I have been getting sharp pains in my right foot lately, the pain will last for a few seconds as it slowly dulls and then it is followed by a few seconds to minutes of general soreness. The pain certainly isn't unbearable and it has yet to prevent me from doing anything, but I do notice it if I walk a lot and somewhat if I lift weights, but not too much. I have some mild soreness after playing hockey and I haven't noticed anything while I'm playing, but I tend not to think about pain/soreness during the middle of a game. Is this consistent with what you guys have experienced or does it sound like I'm being paranoid?

I'm leaning towards getting it checked out by a doctor, but I'm trying to figure out if it is something that is urgent or if I just need to keep an eye on it and see if it gets any worse. If the pain were severe, then I'd get it checked out right away, but it is more in the range where I am aware that there may be a problem, but it hasn't prevented me from doing anything yet.

I'd post this in the goon doctor, but since I'm pretty sure this is hockey related, I figured that goalies might be a better resource.

Aniki fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Feb 8, 2008

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

crashlanding posted:

I have no medical training, but I'm pretty sure if you have a fracture in your foot they can't do much with it anyway.

I know that rest and maybe wearing a boot are about the only things you can do about it. I just obviously don't want to shut myself down if I don't need to. I'm just debating if I want to go to a doctor today or play tonight and go on Monday.

Edit: I'm going to the doctor now.

Aniki fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Feb 8, 2008

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
I don't know anything about the RX5s. I can tell you that I've played against several goalies that use Itech 4.8 and 7.8 X-Wings. Those pads look very nice and they seem a lot better built than my Itech 7.8 Vamps, so they should be a good choice, especially if you can get them for cheap.

That being said are the RX5s supposed to be the equivalent of the 4.8 or 7.8 series? Either should be fine for inline, though if you play any ice at all, then I'd look for whatever the equivalent of the 7.8 series is.

The other option that you have is to take a look at Mission leg pads. Itech owns Mission and their pads should be pretty similar, though I can't remember if the new Mission series is based off of the X-Wing or RX9 series.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
It must be really nice to have that kind of size in the net. I'm actually trying to convince my brother to play goalie, since he's 6'5 with a huge frame and could easily get away with playing an Allaire style in the net.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
My foot is finally better and I made my return to ice on Saturday. I just went to a small rink and tried not to push myself too hard. It was just nice to get back on the ice again and it was amazing how stiff my gloves had become even after only being of action for a month. I think it will take me about two more sessions to get back on track and I'm starting to incorporate the tips from the pictures I posted earlier in the thread. I'm not sure how successful I was at implementing those tips on Saturday, but as long as I keep working on those points, then I should be in good shape.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
I doubt that many goalie coaches would want you to mimic Tim Thomas. His style has worked for him, but I don't think people should go out and replicate it.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
It is just not a good sign whenever a mask comes pre-painted. I still don't know how I didn't get myself killed playing in my old Beezer and Belfour street hockey masks.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Internet Victory posted:

What happened to the velcro on your PAW knee pads. I hope mine don't fall apart :(

Have you tried strapping your pads like this?

Loose up top and a little tighter at the bottom?

That's how I strap my pads, though I went even further and added extra holes on my straps so that I could strap everything very tight around my ankles. I'm actually going to experiment with wearing my pads looser next time I go out, since I don't really feel like I'm getting rotation on my pads and the extra tightness in the bottom two straps seems to cause my pads to stick out at weird angles when I'm standing up and exposes my knees a little more than I'd like.

Granted, I took the "little tighter" at the bottom to an extreme, so my case might not be the best to judge that strapping method by. Still though, there are times where it seems like legpads are designed for people with cankles or tree trunks for legs, but I'm going to try wearing my legpads a bit looser and see if I can get used to it.

Also, is there anything I can do aside for the obvious avoid collisions in the net to reduce my chances of straining my neck? I had two minor collisions the last time I played and while I wasn't expecting anything to come from them, I ended up not being able to move my neck from left to right for most of the weekend. Do any of you guys do any neck specific exercises or is it time for me to accept that I need to get out of way players sliding into the net?

Aniki fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Mar 25, 2008

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Joey Walnuts posted:

So has anyone removed their thigh boards and used only kneepads instead? My thigh board on my right side keeps getting caught up in my pants and it's starting to piss me off.

Yeah, I got sick of my thigh boards always getting stuck in my goalie pants and after a while I decided that they were more trouble than they're worth. Every once in a while I do wish that I had the extra 5-hole coverage, but the extra mobility and not need to constantly adjust my thigh boards more than makes up for losing a little coverage.

Also, I tried playing with my leg pads strapped looser and I'm not quite sure what to think of it. The rotation seemed better, almost too good in some instances, but I also managed to take a hard slap shot off of my calves. With my old strapping method, it was pretty much impossible for a puck to get a clean hit on my calves, but since the pads were looser my calf ended up being exposed and a defensemen nailed my calf with a perfect slapper. Luckily it's just a bruise so it looks bad, but doesn't hurt at all, but I can see why goalies who use loose strapping might like the TPS pads with their insane cankle shields.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

sba posted:

Last night, the fuckhead who played before us had ArmorAll or Crisco or some poo poo on his pads and they couldn't clean it out of the crease.

It was loving awful, and I'm going to Jonathan Roy the guy next time we play them.

Did you complain to the rink? That guy should be suspended or banned from the rink for that.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
I finally tried taping my knee pads last night and it was nice to spend an entire open hockey session without worry about whether or not my knee pads were sliding around or if my knees were exposed.

We also had a fight at open hockey last night. We had two guys that were fighting for the puck and evidently one of the said something to piss the other guy off and they started shoving eachother. One of the guys turned around and then the guy in a teal sweater unloaded a slapshot into the back of the other guys calf. At least the rink staff broke it up pretty quickly, but it was just more weird than anything.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Martytoof posted:

Open hockey fights are just awkward.

I know. You would think that skaters would come to open hockey with the attitude that it doesn't matter, so they should just try to work on their game and have fun. However, every once in a while you get an rear end who takes themselves way too seriously. I guess it would be one thing if someone felt that a player was deliberately trying to injure them, but even then it's not really worth it.

P.S. Inline fights are the only thing more awkward than open hockey fights.

Pleads posted:

Deliberate shots at the unprotected part of a guys leg aren't exactly the classiest things ever, either. I would probably run a guy for doing that.

I was wondering how much protection players have on the back of their shin guards. I assume that it wraps around at least somewhat, but it was definitely a classless move. I was surprised that they let both people continue to play after that, but it was kind of funny to watch some of the ex-pros waiting for the guy in the teal sweater to start things up again.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Martytoof posted:

I don't really take open hockey seriously at all. Maybe because I don't pay to get in and (not to sound like a dick but) they need me more than I need to be there, so I get a little leeway in how I can behave, relax, and joke around and whatnot.

It is definitely the singles bar effect, since open hockey is pretty much worthless without a goalie and even if you aren't the greatest goalie in the world, the skaters will be more than happy to have you. Plus as you said, you get a greater amount of leeway in how you behave. You certainly don't want to act like an outright rear end, but you're definitely given the benefit of the doubt and if something stupid happens, then it is nice to realize that the skaters have your back. Hell, even the two players that got in a fight on Friday night were nothing but nice to me.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Deer_fire posted:

Are you keeping your glove hand in front of your body (as opposed to right in line with it) and watching the puck into your glove?

There's really not a whole lot you can do aside from keep your glove in position and watch it into your glove. Practice-wise really all you can do is practice with a ball against a wall or try and do things that might improve hand-eye coordination (juggling, catch, etc). There's another twist on throwing a tennis ball up against a wall and it's called a reaction ball, though that wont really help you keep stuff in the pocket of your glove.

Another thing is if you do sticktimes, go with a friend, get on your knees and have them just fire shots at your glove hand, make sure your glove positioning is good (out in front of your body) and watch the puck into the pocket.

That's good advice and if I can start dragging myself to some of daytime open hockey sessions, then I think that I'll work on taking high shots while staying down on the ice.

That being said, does anyone else find that it is much easier to react to shots on the blocker side than trapper side? I'm sure it's a bad habbit, but I seem to do a good job of tracking blocker side shots with my periphery vision and I can generally get my blocker or the shaft of my stick on the majority of medium to high blocker side shots. However attempting the same strategy on the trapper side seems to be instant death. Granted, I know that I should be tracking the puck into my trapper, blocker, pads or stick on every shot, but that's a bad habbit I have and I'm hoping that getting onto the ice more than once a week will start to beat that out of me.

I should also mention that racquet sports like racquet ball and tennis are a good way to develop hand eye coordination with the added benefit of helping to improve your lateral quickness.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
Maybe I'm naive, but exactly is the Sean Avery move?

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Joey Walnuts posted:

Basically waving your stick in front of the goalie to distract him and/or piss him off to draw a penalty. It's loving obnoxious.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnXtAuCngZ0

That is really lovely. That should actually be a high sticking and an instigation penalty.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
Does anyone here do any sort of pylometric routine, if so, what sort of jumps should I start working on? I'm currently just sticking to the basic vertical jump where you start down in a squatting position with your hands on the ground and then explode up and raise my arms into the air. However, I'm not too sure where to go from there.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
Thanks for the advice, I'll try to work some if it in soon.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Joey Walnuts posted:

Agreed. I play with Tier I Players (best in Phoenix) twice a week at pick-up. They light me up the entire time. I don't think I've ever been there and had fewer than 10 goals scored on me. Some of them actually help me by telling me where I need to be positioned.

Which rink do you plat at? I normally play at Polar Ice Chandler, but I've also played at Oceanside, Ozzie Ice, Polar Ice Gilbert and a couple of inline rinks.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Joey Walnuts posted:

Beginner B & C in Chandler, baby. :c00l:

Friday/Saturday nights at either 9:30 or 11:15. I go to Ozzie on Tuesday night drop-in every now and again since it's right down the street from my house.

I'm normally there on Fridays for the 9:40 open hockey, though I may start playing at Gilbert soon, since it's closer to me.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Polish posted:

So I think I wanna start playing ice. How hard of a transition do you think I'll have comming from only roller. I have only ice skated a handful of times.. but am going to start practicing. Should I just go out and buy goal skates right away.. or should I go the more expensive route and get regular player skates and then goal skates?

If anything I think playing on ice would be a bit easier.. I will finnally be able to slide.

There was an 8-hour turnaround between the first time I ever ice skated and the first I played an open hockey session on ice. I certainly wouldn't want to attempt that if I were a player, but as a goalie you can get by with only an adequate level of skating. Granted, playing a couple seasons of inline on a sports court surface likely made the transition easier, but in general I've found ice to be a lot more favorable for goalies than inline.

As for skating, you're probably better off just starting out with goalie skates and if you have the time/money a power skating class would be a good investment. Also, try to take advantage of open hockey and hockey skills sessions, since you'll be able to play open hockey for free and some places will even pay you to attend skill sessions. Though if you go to a skill session, just remember that they are very focused on the skaters, so the only "insctuction" you'll really get is just seeing the same shot over and over. It can get a bit repetitive, but don't worry about how many pucks you let in the net and just use it as an opportunity to face shots and work on your own game.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Polish posted:

Well I've been playing roller hockey as goal for the last year or so.. but now I am finnaly going to try out ice.. so I'm not too new around here.. just don't post much. :)

Gotta play two games back to back tomorrow with about a five minute break in between.. guess I'm not drinking too much tonight while watching the Flyers lose another game.. :(

I also played better in the second game of a back to back. I was tired as Hell, but I always felt more prepared for the second game.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Polish posted:

Lets talk angles. One sure fire way to beat me is by being around the red dots and shooting at a fairly shallow angle. For some reason I always get real close to the post and always get beat. Picture:

Now the easy remedy to that would simply be to move to my right.. but when that happens the shot always goes between me and the post right into the net. I honestly do not know what the other person can see of the net when I am trying to square up to the puck. Maybe I should get my friends to take pictures of me from different spots to see where I should be moving to.. eh?

Ideally, you want to come out farther, so that you can cut down the angle. However, if you come out too far, then you leave yourself susceptible to the skater taking the puck cross crease for an easy goal. This may not be as much of a problem if you have a strong T-push or butterfly slide, but this is a move that some of the better players at open hockey beat me with. Sometimes I'll get lucky and I'll be able to kick my leg out far enough to stop the shot, but that's not a strategy that I can rely on.

Usually for me, I try to come out of the crease a little bit and try to take the blocker side/wide shot and they'll either go glove side or cross crease on me. I think the big part of playing this shot is getting the angle right and recognizing what you can take away. If you have a good glove hand than you can probably cheat to the blocker side or if you can get T-push or butterfly slide to the other side of the net quickly, then you can probably get away with playing a little closer but not adjacent to the post.

Just out of curiosity what kind of strapping arrangement do you guys use with your leg pads. I had an old goalie at an inline rink tell me to strap my boot strap and bottom two straps as tightly as possible, which neccessitated me picking up a leather punch, while leaving all of the rest of the straps loose. I went with that unquestioned for a while, but I've started to get annoyed with the lack of rotation and the fact my leg pads tend to bow outwards due to the tightness of the lower straps. So how tight do you guys wear your leg pads or do you try to wear them as loose as possible?

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
You can get away with lower quality gloves, leg pads and to a certain extent pants, but when it comes to protective gear like your mask, C/A and goalie cup you're better off doing your research and buying better quality gear. I made the mistake of buying an Itech 1200 mask, which seems nice when you are trying to put together a cheap set of gear, but after I learned of it's reputation for head injuries, I had to spend quite a bit of money to replace it with an Eddy Custom Kevlar before I started playing on ice.

I certainly don't regret spending the extra money for a better mask, I've taken some nasty slapshots off of the thing, including a 90+ MPH shot directly to my cage from a JC football player, and other for maybe a sore neck the next day, I've been no worse for the wear. I've also been lucky in the sense that I've only needed to replace my cage once so far, but just remember that the cage is there to take the brunt of the impact and if you have a huge dent or especially a broken weld, then you need to replace it. I'm sure others here can better explain what the guidelines are for whether you need to replace a cage or not, but just be aware that it can happen from time to time.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

gco posted:

Yep, no matter how much you spend on equipment you're still going to get stingers. The puck always finds those soft spots with the least protection. It sucks but you just have to not flinch and you get used to it. Plus, the bruises are a cool souvenir for show. :cool:

It's kind of a strange thing in the sense that you don't want to feel the full power every shot and come home covered in bruises, but it actually pissed me off when I got a better C/A and I couldn't feel shots when I was playing on ice. Eventually the pucks managed to find the gaps in my protection and eventually I got hit with some hard enough shots that they left bruises despite all the protection I was wearing, but I actually don't mind the occasional bruise and I kind of like watching the colors of the bruise change and seeing how long the yellow remnants last. It's a strange thing, but I think it's part of the mentality that allows us to play a position that quite frankly scares a lot of skaters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Crumleg posted:

and my notched goal stick. Anyone else here do this little mod? Its popular in some places, I picked it up off a goalie from U-Maine when I was up there. I've been doing this so long I couldn't go back now:

Psyched to get back on the ice after so long. :)

Eagle/Curtis sell the Curtis Curve and Eagle Trigger sticks, which come with a notch in the paddle. I liked those sticks a lot when I first started playing, because the extended paddle and the notch helped to give me better control when I was standing up. However, now that I drop/butterfly a lot more than I used to, I prefer to have a shorter paddle, though I go back and forth on just how short of a paddle that I want.

• Locked thread