Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Crumleg posted:

You can't really tell from the photo because of the tape but the paddle is actually shaved down quite a bit too. I'm a pretty short guy, and on top of that, different stick makers have varying paddle lengths so rather then let either of those facts bother me, I use my big file and jig saw quite liberally.

I can see that you shaved off quite a bit from the inside of the paddle and I do wish that sticks would naturally come with an asymmetrical paddle, though admittedly I'm terrible at woodworking, so unless I come across an Eagle Trigger stick at the hockey shop, I'll normally end up playing with an unmodded Sherwood stick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Martytoof posted:

This is an awesome attitude to take and your father is an awesome guy.

Look at how a lot of shooters celebrate every single goal like it's a SCF Game 7 GWG, then take a look at most goalies after they've made a highlight reel play. I want to go out on a limb and say I don't ever remember a goalie actually out and out celebrating a save unless it's a shootout winner.

Obviously you're not going to dance if the puck is still in play, but if you've got a whistle the most I ever see goalies do is laugh about it and grin. Reserved celebration is so much cooler anyway :cool:

Hextall was prone to celebrating and trying to kill shooters.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Space Cadet posted:

Ok, so I have been reading this thread, following the links from the first post and just generally doing some research with the local guys as well. I have decided to take up hockey again this year after quite a few years off and have picked out all my equipment EXCEPT for a helmet. As for the level of play I intend to pretty much just do shinny/beer league stuff due to my erratic schedule. So far my gear seems to be ok starter gear, but importantly is comfortable, seems well padded and was not budget busting. I hope to play at least once, possibly twice a week.

What I need is some guidance on the masks, I read the earlier remarks regarding itechs being of poor quality and my city stocks those in abundance with a smattering of Hackva, Sportmask, TPS and Ollie masks for diversity. If there are good itech models, which are they? how tight should my mask feel against my face/head? Is it forbidden to buy a mask that feels too snug and whittle down the foam inside? So far the only masks that are close to fitting me comfortably are the Sr. size itech (tight nearly everywhere) and the Large Sportmask (was really snug, only tight on the cheekbones). I am heading to a store tomorrow to see if they have the larger sized Hackva for my charlie brown type head. Some pointers would really help.

The low-level Itech's are of poor quality or at least shouldn't be used beyond street hockey, but the Envy 7 is a solid but not ridiculously expensive mask. Hackva, Sportmask and Eddy also make good masks. A lot will depend on the model of the mask, but I really haven't heard anyone complain about the quality or protiveness of those brands.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
After needing to sit out for two weeks due to trouble of with my asthma, I was finally ready to return to the ice tonight. So I called ahead, reserved my goalie spot, check in at the front only to find out in the dressing room that for some reason the rink had been reserved for some sort of "old time hockey" game. I have to admit that watching an old time game with stand-up goalies would have been pretty interesting, but after getting myself psyched up to play, I didn't really want to stick around.

At least there are two pick-up games happening on Tuesday, so I'll just play at one of those instead.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Polish posted:

Just got back from a meet and greet with the Flyers. Biron and Nitty signed my first goalie stick :woop:

Going to play a practice game, on ice, on Friday night.. so first time in goal on the ice. I will finnaly be able to slide and move properly.. really looking forward to it. Also, how the hell do you power stop on ice.. I can do it in roller blades but can't seem to get it on my ice skates.. maybe I just need more practice time skating.

I think that in general you will find that playing ice hockey is easier as a goaltender, but at the same time the talent level that you're going up against is usually better. Ice hockey tends to feel a bit slower than inline, though if you play 3-on-3, then the pace of the game speeds up considerably due to the reduced distance and lack of opportunities to rest/recover while the action is on the other side of the ice. Sliding is easier and while I've yet to master a butterfly slide recovery, the side-step into a butterfly slide move isn't too difficult to figure out. Have fun.

Aniki fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Nov 19, 2008

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Polish posted:

I am really good on getting back up from going down to butterfly or whatnot.. but yeah I think ice will be easier. I am used to no icing.. no offsides.. so I think it will be an almost completly different game. My gear is geared toward roller hockey.. so my pants and chest protector are a little lacking...Christmas presents!!

Even if you play pick up, you'll find that all of the players observe offsides, which helps to slow down the game and prevent it from turning into the constant stream of breakaways that inline games can turn into.

You should be ok with most any pants, I know that a lot of goalies get away with Itech 4.8 and even player pants. Though, the big difference I've found between goalie and player pants is inner thigh protection and even with good inner thigh protection, some shots will still slip past the padding and sting you from time to time. As for the C/A, what are you using and what kind of shape is it in? This shouldn't matter too much for one time, but if you start playing ice consistently, then you definitely want to invset in a pro level C/A?

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Polish posted:

The pants are inline player pants.. so they work great, are light, and breathe well.. but yeah I have taken a few nice hits to the inner thigh. But I am not too worried about those. The C/A I picked up the cheapest one I could find, and while is does great on my chest, the arms are very lacking. They protect the inside of my arms well, but the outside there is just a crappy elbow pad, which slips. Lost a game a few weeks ago because a slap-shot got through right to my elbow, stick arm went dead.

Anywho.. I'm not too worried about it, but I am definatly going to invest in a new C/A soon. Buddy of mine wants to start playing so I can just sell him my old gear for cheap.

The arm protection was what worried me when I started playing ice too and it was ultimately the reason why I retired my old Itech 4.8 C/A. I will say that the average ice shot is pretty underwhelming, but when someone really rips a shot, you'll understand the value of better protection.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Joey Walnuts posted:

That reminds me. At pickup today, someone took a slapshot from no more than 10 feet away at the other goalie. Split his throat guard (hanger) in half and smacked him square in the collar bone. He crumpled. Nothing got broken, but I can't imagine the pain he would be in right now if that throat guard wasn't there to take most of the impact.

I had a close call on Sunday, where I was dropping to stop a shot and my dangler kind of bounced up and the puck went right between my dangler and mask. Somehow it didn't hit my neck or collar bone, but maybe it's time to get myself a throat guard for Christmas. I keep on thinking about it, but I always seem to come up with an excuse not to get one. Maybe I'll take a look at Maltese's site tonight.

Speaking of close range slapshots, the worst shot I ever took was about a 90 MPH slapshot right to the cage from about 10 feet away. The guy that shot it was a defensive end for the Mesa CC football team and he was about 6'3 and 275 pounds of muscles. At least I have good mask, but it put a massive dent in my cage and I could hardly move my neck for the next two days. I obviously replaced the cage, which wasn't cheap, but then again, I'd rather have the cage take the brunt of the impact than my body.

Aniki fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Nov 20, 2008

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Martytoof posted:

Every time I take a shot that feels like it basically hit bare skin I tell myself "OK tomorrow you're going out to get another C/A", and every day after I think "well that was a one-off shot, this one's not so bad".

I'll leave you guys standing invitations to my funeral. Nobody gets my equipment because I'm going to be buried in it :colbert:

I know that feeling all too well. I played about two seasons of inline with a really bad C/A and every time I took a hard shot off of my arm, I'd say to myself, "I really need to get a new C/A." Yet I'd never seem to get around to it and the next time I took a really hard shot off my arm, I'd think, "I really need to get a new C/A" and this cycle continued until I finally bought a new C/A about 6-hours before I played ice hockey for the first time.

It just seems very easy to ignore pain, especially when it involves spending money that you may not want to. However, if possible it's best to replace or add safer gear before you get hurt. You can get away with lesser gear for a while, but it's not a risk you want to take too often.

Do any of you guys have any thoughts on the Maltese combos? I know that they are pretty popular amongst the goalie community, but if anyone has one, what collar length did you go with and do they cause any overheating issues?

Joey Walnuts posted:

Bring your friend to ozzie on Friday night. We've only got 9 skaters right now.

I'll see if he can come.

Aniki fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Nov 20, 2008

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
Just out of curiosity, what is the hardest shot that everyone's faced here and what type of injuries have you received from the puck? Did it cause you to replace/upgrade any of your gear or did you chalk it up to a fluke shot?

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Polish posted:

Learned that my team might be ditching me this season. That pisses me off a little bit but I am also kinda happy. The team over-all isn't very good, and usually has no defense..bah no hard feelings I guess. Oh well.. onto the next one. I'll use this off time to work on my game and move onto ice.

I think I'll start skating and work on my stick handling during my lunch hour at work. Does anyone do any exercising or training? I know its best to work on your core for hockey.. I guess some running would be a good idea.

I've had that happened before, where my team decided to go back to their old goalie. I didn't feel too bad about it, since he had been their goalie for the past couple seasons and the season I played, he was a defensemen on the team, so I was just filling in for him anyway. The next season, I switched to what was the worst team in our division and unfortunately the few good players they had decided to move up to the B-league and I just couldn't carry them and about midway through that season, I decided to make the switch over to ice. I finished out the season with the team, but I was glad to be playing ice hockey and have a much shorter drive to the rink.

Though recently, I'm starting to feel like I'm playing like an inline goalie on ice and am forgetting that once I'm down I can still move around and that I don't always need to rely on desperation saves. I burn a lot of energy that I don't need to and put myself in some low percentage save situations because of this. Though at least I've been playing more consistently lately, so I'm hoping that going from playing once every other week to about 2-3 times per week will help smooth out some of the other problems.

Honestly, the Starting Strength workout that Watch & Weight is obsessed with is a very good place to start. It focuses on developing the kind of lower body and core strength that you need to withstand the punishment of the position. Also, pylometrics should help with overall athleticism, though I'll admit that I've been lazy about working that into my routine. You could also play tennis or racquet ball as cross training, since both of those sports focus on developing lateral quickness and tracking objects.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
I went to play open hockey this afternoon and when I opened up my trunk, my mask wasn't there. I apparently left it in the locker room or parking lot on Wednesday night and while I called the rink (Polar Ice Gilbert), they haven't heard anything about it yet. So yeah, my Eddy Custom Kevlar is gone and my backup mask is an Itech 1200, which I barely feel comfortable using for inline.

I guess at this point, I'm looking at either a Hackva, another Eddy Custom Kevlar or an Itech NV7. Does anyone know Hackva's sizing compares to Eddy?

Edit: Sportmask is an option to, but I'm not as familiar with their products. I want to keep the price in the same $300-400 range as my Custom Kevlar was.

Aniki fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Nov 28, 2008

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

titanium posted:

I'd put the Hackva or Eddy infront of the NV7 there. I've seen some Itec 961's floating around for near $500 if you feel like extending your budget a bit.

I've been doing research this weekend and have pretty much ruled out the NV7, it's not a bad mask or anything, but if I spend a little more money, then I can pick up another Eddy Custom Kevlar. At this point, I'm considering the Eddy Custom Kevlar, the Hackva 2608, the Sportsmask Riccochet and the Sportsmask X8. I'm most likely going to go with another Custom Kevlar, since I was very happy with my previous mask, but does anyone have any experience with the Hackva or Sportsmask masks?

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Joey Walnuts posted:

Speaking of stats...it just keeps getting worse.

GP W L T SO GA GAA SV SV%

11 2 9 0 0 56 5.09 438 0.887

We suck something horrible. The next closest amount of shots on net is 316. I think we might be in the wrong league. :haw:

What level are you playing at? You seemed pretty solid from what I could tell, but if your team is giving up 40 shots per game, then there's only so much you can do. I guess for now I would work on rebound control, covering the puck and if your team can't play defense, then they can at least help clear pucks out of the crease and zone to give yourself a chance rest.

Also, keeping your skates sharp really helps. I had been lazy about it recently, but I got my skates sharpened before I played last Wednesday and it was shocking how much better I was moving around the crease. I'm just not a good enough skater to get away with playing on dull skates.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Joey Walnuts posted:

Beginner league in Chandler on Friday/Saturday nights.

Do any of the guys exclusively play defensemen or do they try to rotate arond the "burden" of playing defense? It sadly seems like it takes a different mentality to play defense. As goalies, we all have that mindset, but most skaters are obsessed with scoring and don't seem to realize that playing good defense creates scoring opportunities. I've also noticed that a lot of the better defensemen I've played against are either goalies or want to play goalie, so if anyone on your team has ever expressed interest in playing goalie, then maybe you can convince them to dedicate themselves to playing defensemen.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Joey Walnuts posted:

Sadly the lines get changed every week since no one wants to play D. Fuckers.

Sounds like fun. So aside from your team, how does the league seem? I'm thinking about playing in a ice league next year, though I may play a season of inline first, since playing open hockey all the time is a different mindset and I kind of miss the competiveness of league play. I'm just debating whether I want to make the trek up to the Castle or play at the new inline rink that's about to open in Queen Creek.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Joey Walnuts posted:

You'd fit in just fine in our league. Sounds like you're closer to the gilbert rink though. Call in and put your name on the goalie list for next season, you'll have plenty of people calling you.

I may have to do that.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
Someone posted an article on Henrik Lundqvist's workout regimen. It's from 2006 and while it doesn't go into too much detail, it does outline some of the types of exercises that he uses.

http://nymag.com/health/features/16629/

Do any of you use similar exercises while training or do you think the idea of trying to do medicine ball and cable exercises while in your stance, butterfly and half-butterfly isn't worth doing over traditional exercises?

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
Jesus Christ, I just tried on my old Itech 1201 and I don't think I ever appreciated how dangerous this mask actually is. I was debating playing inline tonight, since I can't play ice until I replace my mask, but this drat thing feels like a toy and it frightens me that I ever played in it. Then again, I used to play with an old Franklin street hockey mask that was so bad that my friends refused to play against me until I replaced it, which led to me getting the 1201, which was better than the Franklin, but then again so was wearing a crappy halloween Jason mask.

I'm pretty sure that I'm going to go with a Hackva 2608, but so far every site that I've found that carries it is located in Canada. The prices seem ok, but I'm a little weary of ordering from Canada, since the shipping ends up being expensive and when I ordered my leg pads from Cyclone Taylor's, they got held up in customs for three weeks. I'm checking with Goalie Monkey to see if they have any of these masks in stock, but are there any other sites I should check or would I be ok ordering from Canada (Don Simmons)?

If it ends up being too much trouble, then I'll just go with a Custom Kevlar, since I know that thing is safe, but I'm really starting to like what I've read about the Hackva.

Aniki fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Dec 6, 2008

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Martytoof posted:

At the rink I frequent I see goalies wearing the weirdest poo poo.

My "favourite" is what appears to be a player helmet with a cage on it. Only its not like the typical Osgood/Hasek combo cage. This one looks like the cage portion of a new-style goalie mask. Only it looks so flimsy that I'm not sure I'd want to put my head in the way of any actual shots. The side protection looks a little iffy as well.

Scary stuff.

Was it a SportsMask Mage or does it seem to be a homemade contraption? I've seen people playing in inline league's with Franklin masks and I've seen people go out on ice with very unsafe gear. There was actually one time at open hockey where the other goalie forgot or didn't even have a cup and decided to play anyway. Needless to say he ended up taking a wicked wrister from an ex-minor leaguer and they had to carry him off of the ice. I know that taking a hockey ball to the groin without a cup left me unable to move for two days and I don't even want to think what a puck would do.

It is scary to see how unsafe a lot of the gear that goaltenders play with, I used to be the same way before I started to play ice and really the only excuse I had was that I didn't have any money and didn't know any better, so I thought that coming home covered in bruises was just part of being a goalie. However now that I know better, I've just accepted that I can't play unless I have safe gear.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
That sick feeling in your stomach isn't fun and the best way I can describe the pain, is that it's sort of a dull pain. You don't really want to move and once you try to move, you just start feeling sick again. Luckily, I've learned from my mistakes and wear compression shorts, an Eagle double cup and my pants have additional padding on the front, so I've been able to take some pretty hard shots to the crotch without incident.

Has anyone seen the Hackva Texalium finish in person? As far as I can tell the only difference between the Texalium and the regular 2608 is the finish. I'm not opposed to spending extra money on the Texalium finish, because it looks cool in pictures, but I'm wondering if it actually looks nice or is just a gear whore type thing?

Aniki fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Dec 6, 2008

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

UnmaskedGremlin posted:

For all my time playing roller (which was usually with a ball) I never wore a cup. I only got hit twice, one wasn't that bad, it was towards the end of the period, so I was able to recoop at the break, and was fine, the other gave me that sick feeling, but luckily that one was with like 5 minutes left in the game, and we were dominating.

I think I've told this story too, but in college they had an intramural floor hockey league, and one of the kids that played wore just pads and a blocker/glove. The other goalies, including me, always thought he was nuts, but he said if he got hit in the nuts/chest/head/arms, he hosed up and deserved it. Yeah...

I really didn't play with a C/A for a long time. I had a lovely Franklin street hockey chest protector, which basically was a catcher's chest protector with even less padding. I didn't have any arm protection and after taking a hard wrist shot from an ex-American Juniors player while playing street hockey, I bought elbow pads thinking that they would somehow cover my arms, which they didn't. I eventually wised up and bought an Itech 4.8 C/A, which felt like a tank compared to what I was used to, though it proved to be overmatched once we switched from a hockey ball to an inline puck. So all I can say is that when you don't know any better you are willing to go out and play with almost anything.

I ordered my mask this morning from Don Simmons. Not sure how long it will take to get out here, but it's a white Hackva 2608 with a Cat-Eye cage and I think that even with shipping and customs charges it should still end being cheaper than buying another Eddy Custom Kevlar. I can't wait for my mask to get here, because not being able to play is driving me nuts.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
Trying to balance out your intensity can be a bit tricky. I'm pretty much playing open hockey exclusively right now and while it is fun and I use it a chance to work on my endurance and different elements of my games, I find that I really approach these sessions with a low intensity approach. Part of it is being out on the ice for 2 hours and part of it is not worrying about how many goals I give up as long as I work on whatever I'm focusing on that day. It's not a bad approach, if you are playing in a league and still go to pick up sessisions, but when pick up is the only hockey you are playing, it isn't good to neuter the intensity out of your game.

What do you guys think the appropriate level of intensity is for pick up hockey? You obviously don't want to treat it like a league game and you don't want to be indifferent to everything that happens out on the ice, but there must be a balance somewhere.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
My new Hackva 2608 mask arrived today and it's shocking how light this thing is. It weighs about 2.5 lbs compared to my old Eddy Custom Kevlar which weighed 2.9 lbs. The cage also feels lighter for some reason, I haven't heard any complaints about it's strength, so I'm not concerned about it, but overall this mask is very light.

Now all I need to do is pick up a new dangler, which I'll do on Thursday or Friday and I'm back in action. I'll make sure to post some pictures when I get a chance.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

titanium posted:

Good pickup, my complaints with the Hackva lay mostly with the cage. It'll end up rusting a bit around the welds and if you take an extremely hard shot between the eyes it might end up chipping some of the paint around the forehead. It's the best mask you can get for your dollar and you cant beat a lifetime shell warranty. The only reason I picked up the 961 is because it fits my narrow face better.

I'm really looking forward to testing out the mask, it had the best combination of price, protection and weight that I could find. I actually got it for $291 including shipping, which is pretty drat impressive when you consider that my Eddy Custom Kevlar cost around $350-400 when I bought it and it only had kevlar in the high impact zones. The cage is the one thing that I'll need to wait and see about. I'll definitely need to be better about wiping it down to delay the onset of rust, but as long as it doesn't dent too easily then I'll be happy. The chipping of the paint around the top of the cage is something that I can live with, but I'll pay attention and see how bad it gets.

Right now I'm just looking forward to being able to log a bunch of ice time over the next few weeks, so that I can get my game back on track. I played great the night I lost my previous mask, so hopefully I haven't lapsed too much since Thanksgiving.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

titanium posted:

Do you need a certified cage? If not I know he offers a stainless steel version of the cateye. I've had mine for a little over a year now and like I said there's some rust by the welds and on some of the hardware but its really not enough for me to care that much.

I'll keep that in mind whenever I need to replace my cage. I'm not too worried about the rust, but for some reason I expected the cage to feel a little more substantial. I'll compare it to an Eddy cage at the hockey shop and see if it actually is thinner/ligher than their cages. Either way, I'm not really worried about it.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
I took out my mask for it's first test yesterday and so far, so good. I still need to adjust the straps and dangler a little bit, but I took one or two glancing blows off of my mask and everything worked like it should. I actually played well for a while and let in only 3 goals in the first 40-minutes, but I kind of fell apart after that, which was fine, since it was my first time on the ice in nearly a month.

I also got some tips from the other goalie at the end of the game, which should be helpful, and more importantly I ran into the hockey director at the rink and they are desperately looking for goalies, so it looks like I should be able to play in a league for free. I don't know if I'm starting this weekend or after the holidays, but I'm looking forward to being able to play something other than open hockey for once.

Aniki fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Dec 20, 2008

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
I got a 2XL North Stars jersey that I'll be able to wear over my C/A. I can't wait to wear it out on the ice.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
I am going to play inline for the first time in about a year tonight. I already played a noon ice pick up session today, so me being pre-exhausted from ealier plus readjusting to inline should lead to some hilarious results.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Polish posted:

...I just played ice for the first time.. for three and a half hours.. with one fifteen minute break. ...I did god drat amazing.

...I'm gonna go pass the hell out now.

The talent level you face playing ice hockey is generally higher, but ice hockey is more suited to goaltending than inline. Logging 3.5 hours for your first time playing ice is pretty drat amazing, though I really do think that a birth by fire is the best way to adjust to ice hockey.

The inline session was a bit weird tonight, it's a new rink that is very nice and even has air conditioning, but there were 5 goalies there, so I only got about 35 minutes of ice time. The one thing that I can definitely say is that the year of ice skating has really paid off. I'm still a weak ice skater, but luckily what skating ability I've picked up has really translated well to inline hockey. I was easily the fastest goaltender there, so I felt comfortable coming way out of the net to challenge shots. My crease movements were also vastly improved from the last time I played inline, which made things a lot easier.

The big problem I had is that when I dropped my pads stuck to the surface, which is to be expected playing inline, but I think the problem was exacerbated since my pads were still a little damp from playing at a noon open hockey session. The other thing that I noticed is that since I didn't have the ability to move or really even extend/kick my leg out on the surface, I had to improvise a lot more on saves. I think that when I play ice hockey, I get into too much of a blocking mentality, but my lack of mobility on the ground forced me to improvise and rely on my athleticism a lot more, which lead to me making some spectacular looking saves.

I'm not sure how frequently I'll go out and play inline, but it is definitely a nice change of pace. It seems to be really good for practicing center-shifting, learning when to drop and improvising. Hopefully it will help bring some more athleticism back out into my ice hockey game, because I still feel like I'm too stiff out on the ice and my athleticism should really be a bigger part of my game.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

parsleyc posted:

It's really odd that there were 5 goalies at your rink; I went to play pick-up last night (having not played in a year or so) and there were 4 other goalies including me. Did you happen to go to the 949 Roller Hockey Center in Irvine? I was the idiot who forgot his jersey.

Nope, some place called the Barn in Queen Creek, AZ.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Polish posted:

Playing some ice tonight.. and I am finding it drat near impossible to pack my bag with my new C/A and pants.. and ice skates. I'll get pics of how I pack it later.. because there is no way I am unpacking until tonight. I have the biggest bag I could find (no wheels.. mistake).. and I can barely get the fucker to close.

I know it'll get easier as my gear breaks in.. but maybe there is a better way?

Try tucking your C/A shoulder first into your goalie pants. Otherwise try to keep your skates and trapper on opposite ends of your bag and put your knee pads on either the bottom or side. I really need to buy a bigger bag, but I've had the same bag forever and I'm accustomed to carrying everything like a hobo. Though you should be able to fit everything but your mask and leg pads in the bag.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
They do have the alternate B-star logo, but I think that's only an option for custom orders.

Does anyone have any tips on re-braking in a glove. It looks like I seriously messed up breaking my glove in the first time around and in an effort to keep the glove open as it's natural state, I wrapped a big towel around a football and jammed it into the pocket. Will this actually this actually accomplish anything or is it dificult to change thins after the glove has already been broken in?

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Martytoof posted:

It'll be difficult because it's going to naturally bend at the point of least resistance which has already been worn in.

Not impossible, but I doubt it'll be easy.

I should be able to replace the glove in a couple of months, so I just need to get it to the point where it's not showing shut for now. I wonder if getting a TPS glove that naturally stays open like what Lundqvist uses would be a good idea?

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Martytoof posted:

I had the same problem with mine but I manage to get it to stay mostly open by just pressing the top of the T against my thigh every minute or so. Pain in the rear end but I can't afford to replace mine right now :\

I've started doing that and I'm hoping the huge towel and football jammed into the pocket will make things better for now. Though on the plus side, this probably explains why I have so many glove saves bounce off my trapper.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

The Mandingo posted:

Not that I'd suggest this for anyone, but my friend successfully broke in his catcher by closing it shut and parking his chevy blazer on it overnight.

Opens and closes with ease!

At this point, I'd settle for something that would just stay open.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Tim Thomas posted:

steps:

- place glove in open position
- place small weight (large book is appropriate) on top of glove
- douse inside of glove with water
- let dry with glove pressed by weight

voila

Nice, I'll try that out.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Tim Thomas posted:

yeah, see, that's why i play roller. it's a better workout, it tests stamina a lot better, your rebound control has to be impeccable, your reads have to be a lot better since there's no way to easily do the post to post slides that you can do in ice (although I can slide a limited amount), the puck moves a LOT more than ice, the puck is faster, shooters have better chances since there's more room, etc.

roller isn't better or worse than ice, it's different, and in my opinion, it's more difficult for the goaltender. i like the challenge and i like coming off the rink 5 pounds lighter, it makes me think i actually did something other than stand still for 40 minutes and move for 5.

Inline and ice are different beasts. While playing ice you are typically facing a higher level of talent/skill, but with sliding, offsides, and the additional men on the ice, the game is stacked more in the goalie's favor. With inline like Polish already said, you're playing on a smaller rink, with fewer people, no offsides and once you drop you're dead. So yeah, you really need to focus on your reads, your butterfly/standup recognition and once you drop, you really need to rely on your athleticism and improvisational abilities.

I've found after playing inline a couple of times over the past few weeks after a year of only playing ice, that it brings a lot more athleticism out of my game. I felt like in a lot of ways I was becoming too methodical and relying on blocking versus actively making saves, but when I played inline I started challenging a lot further out of the net, skating around the crease a lot more and using my athleticism to bail me out of bad situations.

At the very least, playing inline is a good change of pace and it helps to prevent you from falling into the trap of just dropping and hoping that you got your body in front of the puck. I noticed that the next time I played ice after playing a couple of inline sessions that I was less rigid and a lot more athletic out there and while I don't want to go to the other extreme and start playing out of control, it definitely seems to open up your game.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Martytoof posted:

Yeah, same. Though I feel like my bad habits are basically catching up with me now and I need someone to tear my game down so I can start from scratch.

Likewise. I feel like I've come pretty far for learning things on my own, but there are still some fundamental things that I struggle with that I think working with a coach could help out with. I can't quite afford that yet, but I've started talking to the other goalies at the rink a lot more and they've offered some useful insight on what I can do to improve my game.

The other thing I need to do is put the time in on things like shooting. I know that I need to just dedicate a half hour a day to just working on my shooting and it will come together through repetition, but I just never seem to actually go ahead and do it. At least I'm trying to handle and shoot/pass the puck more in open hockey, which is helping some, but I just need to dedicate myself to it for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
I finally got a chance to use my glove after working on trying to keep it open and it made a big difference. I made a couple of nice glove saves tonight that simply had to with my glove actually staying open. The first one was a play where I got my glove on a puck, it bounced up into the air and I caught behind my back. I've actually made a couple saves like that in the past, but this one landed right in the pocket. On the second glove save, I was laying flat on the ice and out of position and the player shot the puck and I was able to snap my trapper and rob him of what should have been a sure goal. I was happy that I bailed myself out, but I was still annoyed that I put myself in such a stupid position.

• Locked thread