Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae
Lost to the team in our league that's 16-0 last night. But in the handshake line I got a lot of glowing praise, so that always feels nice.

"You were good, nice game"
"You didn't have much help"

One guy on the other team even headbutted my mask.

I've been told I play a lot like Lundqvist. :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae

UnmaskedGremlin posted:

Do you close your glove when you make a glove save or catch the puck? Because he doesn't, and it drives me nuts.

He uses a REALLY stiff palm, so stiff that the glove doesn't close, he cradles the puck in the pocket like a lacrosse stick.

I don't do this, my glove is actually really light and perfectly broken in, I don't think I'll ever replace it because it's so comfortable.

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae

Aniki posted:

I just don't watch the puck hit me all of the time. It is a terrible habit and it is something that can easily lead to a great save being nullified by a garbage goal. I've gotten better at tracking the puck off of the stick and now I need to follow the puck into my body/gloves so that I don't lose sight of rebounds and actually know when I'm covering the puck and not just hoping that I somehow pinned it underneath my body.

Sincerely,

Ray Emery

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae

trilljester posted:

As a forward who plays a lot like Holmström, I humbly request you drat goalies stop whacking me with your stick when I'm outside the crease. Thank you.

GET THE gently caress AWAY FROM US.

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae

Rick Grimes posted:

Remind me why I hate Great Skate again.

Rick Grimes posted:

Rbk X-Pulse pads, as that seems to be what they stock exclusively (only in SR models as well, no pro spec anything)

That would explain why I hate them.

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae

JAF07 posted:

Do you two just buy gear online, or is there another Buffalo-area store I don't know about?

I'm buying my R8's at goaliemonkey when I get my bonus this month, there's other stores but no one really carries goalie poo poo. It's all special order for the most part.

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae
Some guy last night knocked the stick out of my hands intentionally, then gave me a shot as he was cutting around the net.

Then he made the mistake of trying to go around the net again. Luckily, since I had lost my stick, my blocker hand was free.

He won't be bumping me again anytime soon. :cool:

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae

Martytoof posted:

Edit: Also, what the gently caress? Are you serious? I want to see what the big difference between these and the V3 is, that they're almost half the price.

hmmmm....interesting.

custom colors too.

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae

Martytoof posted:

Yeah. I mean, what PMA said about not playing enough to warrant pro pads kind of rings true with me, even though every fiber of me wants the genuine article. I'll have to see if GoalieHeaven gets a pair in that I can look at.

It says March, I'm guessing if you ordered custom colors you would'nt get them until end of Summer

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae
code:
#	Name	GP	GA	MIN	GAA	SA	SV	SV%	W	L      SO
29	sba	8	26	478	3.26	298	272	0.913	4	4	1

We play the worst team in the league tonight, so hopefully I can improve my GAA.

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae

Rick Grimes posted:

Better than mine, I'm rocking a 6.00 GAA. Yet I'm 4-1, go figure.

As you can see, my team is pretty offensively challenged.

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae

sba posted:

We play the worst team in the league tonight, so hopefully I can improve my GAA.

Nice little surprise, they switched game times with the second place team!!

Tied 2-2, one of the goals I let in never crossed the line, but it was counted anyway.

I NEED OVERHEAD REPLAYS!!! :mad:

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae
Ray Emery wears Brians.

Ray Emery.

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae
I had what you would call the "Ron Hextall Shutout" tonight

0 goals against and a 4 minute double minor for slashing.

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae

UnmaskedGremlin posted:

Double minor? That must've been some slash.

Don't two-hand my arm while I'm covering up in the crease 30 seconds after the whistle has blown. :mad:

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae

Pleads posted:

It looks like most of you don't wear the hanging neck-guard from your helmet, is that because it's uncomfortable/awkward, or just that you don't think neck-related stuff is enough of a risk to warrant it?

I use one since I was like 15, I've tuned the sound out too. You really don't even notice it's there after awhile.

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae
I'm currently wearing 32" pads, and tried on 34's yesterday.

I really need 34" pads now.

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae

Joey Walnuts posted:

Ah hell, lost 4-1 tonight with 40 shots on goal. I guess that's...something. My team had 11 shots on goal. Cripes.

Sounds like all my teams lately.

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae

Deer_fire posted:

What I want to know is will playing goalie in roller with my ice pads (specifically my Velocity leg pads) tear them up or will it not matter? It's a sport court type thing so it's not like I'd be playing on gravel. Also, what are some of the differences playing goalie in roller compared to ice? I'm going to go ahead and say you can't butterfly slide, but what about stuff like shuffling and other things like that?

I use ice pads for roller with no mods and they hold up fine. Both rinks I play in are sportcourt, and my pads slide surprisingly well. The hardest time I have sliding is when we get together to play pickup in a gym up the street, the floor there is actually more difficult to slide on.

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae

Polish posted:

It's one day after my first time playing goalie and I already ordered pants.. I am going to a local pro shop tommorow to see what sizes I need for everything but I need some recomendations.

I've been looking at iTech masks and they seem to be a reasonable price.. but are they comfortable/protect well? My mask price range is $200-250(new). What kind of masks does everyone wear?

btw I play roller.

I use an Eddy:

http://www.eddymasks.com/

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae

Polish posted:

Please tell me you wear the hat..

I did on X-Mas eve morning when I played.

That was the only I pic I had of the mask with the cat-eye on it.

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae
NOT FOR THE SQUEEMISH:

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p48/sa_sba/DSC01268.jpg

stick on top of finger, does not slide good

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae
Last night, the fuckhead who played before us had ArmorAll or Crisco or some poo poo on his pads and they couldn't clean it out of the crease.

It was loving awful, and I'm going to Jonathan Roy the guy next time we play them.

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae

UnmaskedGremlin posted:

I'm sure you were in that end for 2 periods too.

Sure was!

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae

Tim Thomas posted:

At risk of inspiring another ":rolleyes: PMA's a dick :rolleyes:" post, I am fully supportive of straight up murdering pricks who put that slippery poo poo on the floor. It caused me to pop something painful two years ago and my right leg still doesn't move quite right.

In conclusion: if you play roller hockey and put anything on your pads that isn't plastic, you should die.

I agree with this post.

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae

Aniki posted:

Did you complain to the rink? That guy should be suspended or banned from the rink for that.

I did, they said that it was a new guy, so they didn't notice it until I said something, but they will warn him next time he plays.

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae
I caved in and got a set of RX5's too, they were just more comfortable than the TPS R5's. Hopefully they'll be here by Thursday so I can try them out.

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae
Magic Eraser works really well.

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae
I've got a game tonight, I'm picking my new pads up right after work and going straight to the rink, I'll try to get some pics of them.

I can't wait to try them out.

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae
I'm a little pissed these came out so blurry, but here's my new pads:

Mandatory Bedfly:

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae

Tim Thomas posted:

Those look really, really nice. What's the toe tie at the boot like? The clearance looks pretty close.

Maybe it's too early...but what do you mean by clearance??

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae

Tim Thomas posted:

Haha, no, the question makes no sense looking at it now.

I guess my question was more along the line of how high your pad sits off the skate at the boot, the flexibility of the ankle, and the impact of the toe being fairly boxy. I haven't had a chance to try any 11" pads with such a squarish toe so I have no clue if that front inside corner of the boot drags or anything, and I'm considering picking up a set of 11" pads soonish.

Ahhh, ok I get it now.

The ankle was pretty stiff, but I imagine it'll loosen over time. They dragged a little, but I tightened a strap when I noticed it, and that seemed to help.

The biggest thing for me was getting used to 34" because my last pads were 32"

I thought they sat a little low off the boot, but I'm still working on strapping them in a way thats comfortable.

If you liked your Prodigies a lot, you should at least go try a pair of RX on, they're pretty similar.

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae

Joey Walnuts posted:

Anyone know the turn-around time on getting a helmet airbrushed? I don't have a spare and if it takes a month to get it done, then I'm boned.

A month is about the standard for most artists. Sometimes longer.

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae
I soak my gloves and C/A in extremely hot water, then hang dry it. Then febreeze (antimicrobial) it.

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae
My butterfly was awesome tonight, It was wide, my arms were in good position, and i gave up no rebounds at all. It morphed into a Jiggy-Fly a few times but was still effective.

The 4 goals I let in weren't really easy stops...

1) Breakaway, from faceoff circle cutting across, got a small piece of it.
2) 1 on 1, defender played it horribly, guy shot it right through his legs, while he was stick checking, should have taken the body. Great shot from the forward, I had no chance.
3) Defenseman (same as above) tried a clearing pass across the slot off the boards, forward picked it off in the slot and buried it.
4) Should have had it, wrister from the faceoff circle that beat me just above the pad. Little bit of a screen, but I was pissed about it.

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae
Attention Forwards:

When you are losing 2-0 to the worst team in your league going into the third period, and are getting outshot 26-8 here's a list of things you shouldn't say to your goalie when he tries to encourage you to play better:

1) "Maybe you should make a save"

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae

Tim Thomas posted:

there's several ways and none are great.

1) learn how to slide on cement - if you're sliding on your chassis and cowling you'll still slide. don't let the pad make contact until you want to stop. this requires muscular strength you might not have, so good luck.
2) dive - not good
3) backwards t-push over - usually doesn't work great since you're basically going rear end-end into the puck but at least it's something
4) cheat and t-push - play the shot positionally but play under-square. this means that your torso remains square to center, not the puck or puck carrier. when the pass comes, you can t-push out of this position to meet the shot, which is probably the quickest you'll get on cement. doing this requires extremely good reads and really really good reflexes so try it at pick-up before doing it in a game. if you overcommit to the pass you'll get beat short side, and if you mistime the push you'll still get beat.

dude, pimp your slide plates

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae

Tim Thomas posted:

i took em off since i have a month before PIHA/AIHL tryouts and i'm playing ice every night until then

my goal to be paid to play hockey WILL be met before i die

you can still show them off, they've gotta help sliding on concrete

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae
I should have been ejected last night. Some guy bowled over me in the crease, and I got up and my mouth was bleeding, so my first reaction was to swing my stick at him. Got him right between the shoulder blades with the blade of my stick.

I'm pretty sure the only reason I wasn't thrown out was the fact that we don't have backups in our league.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae

Polish posted:

Did you bite your lip or something? Musta been a hard hit. My last game some guy slid, hit the post and his ribs went right into the bottom of my skate..

Anyone actually ever get a penalty?

It was pretty hard, I don't remember biting my lip, but that's where the blood was coming from.

He didn't get a penalty for that, but got one for roughing when one of my guys went after him.

• Locked thread