Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

I hear there's gonna be cake!
My favorite all time D-man was this guy, Dave I think his name was. He played on my roller team for a few years (we were a team thrown together that ended up winning a couple championships), and he was fantastic. He was a solid stay at home guy, but scored a handful of goals every season too. He seemingly was always in the right spot, and he played on my right side, which has normally been my weaker side. He was more of a stay at home Dman than anything though. Man he was great.

Anyways, I don't mind when anyone blocks a shot, but all I ask is them is to make sure you're going to block it, or get enough of it that it's not going to come at me on an unexpected deflection. If not, just give me an open lane. Sticking a skate or stick out usually made things worse than better, IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

crusader donkey posted:

Question for serious roller hockey goalies: What do your average stats look like? Sv% and GAA especially. I feel like I'm pretty good and get comments from refs and opposing players, but my stats still seem pretty mediocre in my eyes. I think it's because I face a lot of really quality scoring chances. I also have nothing to compare to so i don't know what's normal.

I haven't played in a while, but I think I was around a 4.5 to 5 GAA and probably around .850 save percentage last I played I think. I used to see like 35-40 shots a game usually. I was never a superstar, but got the job done. But I always felt that you needed to score at least 5 goals to win in roller anyways...at least at the low rec-type levels I was playing at most recently.

EDIT: I used to get comments from refs and opponents and stuff, but I think it used to be because I used to make a lot of flashy, low probability saves, but I'd be guaranteed a soft goal or two a game. Breakaways, 2 on 1s or 2-0's, side to side, etc. I was unstoppable, but put a slapshot from the point on me? Off my glove and in. :( Or this one, which I was guaranteed to do a couple times a season, I go out to play a puck in the corner or something, flub it, or mis-shoot it, and put it right on an opponent's stick for the easy goal. Last game I played when we got knocked out of the playoffs (which was a year or so ago) I gave up a late goal that put them up by two, that was like that. :doh:

UnmaskedGremlin fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Feb 1, 2008

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

sba posted:

I've been told I play a lot like Lundqvist. :shobon:

Do you close your glove when you make a glove save or catch the puck? Because he doesn't, and it drives me nuts.

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

sba posted:

He uses a REALLY stiff palm, so stiff that the glove doesn't close, he cradles the puck in the pocket like a lacrosse stick.

I don't do this, my glove is actually really light and perfectly broken in, I don't think I'll ever replace it because it's so comfortable.

I know and I hate it. :mad:

My glove is the same way. I love the way its broken it, but it's beat to hell from playing on a painted cement surface for a lot of its life.

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

trilljester posted:

As a forward who plays a lot like Holmström, I humbly request you drat goalies stop whacking me with your stick when I'm outside the crease. Thank you.

Absolutely not.

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

Aniki posted:

Also, does anyone else try to pop right up whenever someone collides with them in the net? I think that I picked that up from Randy Moss back in his Vikings days, because whenever someone would land a big hit on him, he always made a point to jump right back up and act like it didn't bother him at all. I don't know how effective that is in terms of intimidation, but it certainly is one part of the mental game that I try to use to my advatange.

I usually try to stay down to draw a penalty, or get it be a double minor or something by writhing in pain. :)

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

After college, or any professional aspirations, which I don't think any of us really have here, I don't see any reason why you would be a backup. Most teams/leagues are desperate to find goalies. Have 1 for each team is a rareity, nevermind 2!

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

fenix424 posted:

Here's a question:

A friend of mine recently asked me to play goalie this summer in a roller hockey league with him. Only one problem: I've only played goalie in floor hockey league i played in grade school and in pickup games at the park where i didn't skate. I have only skated a handful of times in my life. How impossible of a task is this?

There are actually roller leagues where they allow the goalies to just wear sneakers. One of the rinks I've played at, which is a painted cement, allows this, and I liked it better for that since it's a pain to get good movement on skates. See if this rink/league is like that. You may not have to worry!

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

PenguinManAmato posted:

i think it's because i suck but i can't move for poo poo in sneakers :(

Meh, its all personal preference I guess. Granted, it wasn't insanely competitive or anything, but there was actually only one regular goalie who wore skates in that league I played in. Like I said, with the painted cement, on skates, I just didnt' feel like I could get the same movement.

EDIT: And I should say, it was more the lateral movement, and other various moves. forward and backward were obviously no problem, but doing things you want to do on a surface that will let you slide a bit (like a sport court or ice) just don't work on cement.

UnmaskedGremlin fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Feb 4, 2008

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

JungleMan posted:

Your scorekeepers count shots :monocle:

I used to keep count in my head.

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

Every roller league I've played in I have to pay. Part of the reason why I'm not desperate to play.

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

sba posted:

I had what you would call the "Ron Hextall Shutout" tonight

0 goals against and a 4 minute double minor for slashing.

Double minor? That must've been some slash.

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

I've caught one or two under my arm padding before, either because I'm flopping around on a rebound or some other freak reason, those always hurt.

^^^^If he's holding that long pokecheck him.

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

Aniki posted:

I doubt that many goalie coaches would want you to mimic Tim Thomas. His style has worked for him, but I don't think people should go out and replicate it.

This was actually the first person I thought of too. But like PMA said, they must be doing something right to be where they're at.

sba posted:

I'm currently wearing 32" pads, and tried on 34's yesterday.

I really need 34" pads now.

Shortly after I bought the pads I was using, I felt like I should've bought 34" pads. I measured for 32, but I just felt like the extra 2 inches would help. Now I'm not playing nearly enough since there's no roller rinks in the area that aren't stupid expensive (even for goalies) to justify getting new (used) pads.

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

Yeah, I agree with PMA. Even though I never had near his problems, I like being smart. :) My entire gear besides my helmet isn't even $1000, but my helmet was like $275-$325 or so. It's way more than I need for roller, but its well worth it, IMO.

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

I still thought they were sharp looking.

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

PenguinManAmato posted:

Anyone who wants/needs pads or gloves and doesn't mind them being old spec:

Pure Hockey in Marlboro MA is blowing out some of their older stock that is 12" wide at ludicrous prices. I counted about 20 pairs of pads from 32" through 37", and about 30 gloves. There's a pair of Missions in my size that used to be about $750 that they are selling for $100 (I'm torn on whether to buy them and use them for tennis-court hockey), Epics are $300, Bionics are $250, and so forth. Really, the prices are insanely low. I am going to go up to their store in NH as well and see if they are doing similar things, and I'll probably go back to Marlboro later this week. I highly recommend you call them up and ask if they'd ship them to you, because a) I bet they would, and b) cheap new gear is supa-sweet. Barring that, if anyone really wants me to, I'll go back and look for something specifically in your size and we can work out some paypal system or something. Trick is that it has to be by next Saturday since I'm going back to school (just give me my loving masters already fuckers) after.

Oh man, I am super strapped right now for cash too, otherwise this would undoubtedly be worth the ride up (or I could send my sister out to scout stuff). This kind of stuff always seems to come up when I just dropped a ton of cash on something else (playoff tickets).

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

Martytoof posted:

That's cool -- my only concern is that with shoes you're really not going to have any way to connect your toe ties, unless you tie them to the bottom part of your laces or something :)

For the league I played on that was a cement surface (and I wore shoes) I just pulled the laces out of my pads, actually. I usually kept my lower straps so tight though that they didn't turn much though.

I've also seen some guys in that league use Nike Shox and tie the laces from the pads around the back of those.

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

Polish posted:

My five hole is still weak, but I have a real nice sprawl.. just gotta learn to keep my legs closed on the butterfly. Moving around on the skates and going through the movements is getting a lot easier, you guys were right, although I cannot slide for the life of me (lovely skates, painted smooth cement).

You're really not going to be able to slide too much on painted cement. I've played on that a ton before, and even though everyone thinks I'm nuts, I liked being off skates better.

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

crusader donkey posted:

Well, goalie is by far the most individual-oriented position. With me, as long as I play a good game and don't let in any softies I'm happy after games. If the team sucks at defense, we know there's only so much we can do and it's in our best interest to keep a cool head.

I agree. I've been on some absolutely non-existant defense type teams. As long as I don't give up any softies, and play solidly otherwise, I don't get too upset. Of course, I don't want to give up anything, but on a 2 on 0, I really don't think many people expect me to make the save!

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

I'm sure you were in that end for 2 periods too.

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

crashlanding posted:

Oh definitely, I had maybe two pretty good saves and one was a 2-0 where I dove across and gloved the one timer. Saves like that can keep you coming back I guess. :cool:

I still remember some of the absolute robberies on 2-0s, breakaways, one timers, etc. that I've made years ago, but the goals I've all but forgotten!

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

Is that a camera in the goal?

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

nahanahs posted:

I'm not allowed to have water at the net with me. It really sucks by the third period :(

Are you kidding me? I would go batshit if any rink I played at had that rule, unless they want to delay the game every time I need a drink by going to the bench. And it would be verrrrry often.

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

Joey Walnuts posted:

Clean my gear? That's a good one. I spray everything down with febreeze every now and again. That's about it though.

I'm lucky if I do that.

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

sba posted:

In a ten game league you should have to play at least 5 times to qualify for playoffs...that's a terrible rule. I'd be pissed if I were on that other team and you guys brought in ringers too. My summer league is 17 games and you need 12 to qualifty as a skater, and 10 for a goalie.

I think thats how my old roller league used to be...half the games to qualify for playoffs.

My two softball leagues have both ends of the rules though, 1 you have to play 1/2 the games (they collect scorecards at the end of the game), the other you just have to be on the roster, which was due July 1; playoffs won't start till September 15 or so.

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

Martytoof posted:

A 5.0 with anything over .900 should be considered a moral victory.

London took less shelling in World War 2. I'm just sayin'

No kidding. I'd be thrilled with those numbers seing 50 shots a night.

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

The Mandingo posted:

I'm actually interested in this, if I weren't a fatass and 50 pounds heavier than you.

Same here. I weighed myself yesterday, and it was horrifying. When I was playing hockey consistantly, that would've fit me no problem. No so sure now.

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

canuckanese posted:

The worst is when they have no sustained pressure for an entire period or more, then all of a sudden start kicking rear end and you've just been standing around for 25-30 minutes.

Sort of happened to me in one game, I remember. They'd get a shot here or there against me, it was late in the third and I had like 9 or 10 saves, and was pitching (albeit a weak) shutout. Of course, they're "best" player gets a breakaway, basically falls over me and the pucks dribbles in. I was pissed. Probably could've played it better, but I was basically standing there most of the period, and he never even really got a shot off.

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

Martytoof posted:

Aww, I'm the goalie who's yelling 'GOOD D GOOD D' when my Dmen actually do something awesome. We're in this together, my defensive brethern :unsmith:

I kinda was the same way. Had a couple great stay at home D-men for a team I played on for 4 or 5 seasons, and I absolutely loved playing with them. One of them had a decent point shot too, so he got his goals, but man was he a good D-man.

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

For all my time playing roller (which was usually with a ball) I never wore a cup. I only got hit twice, one wasn't that bad, it was towards the end of the period, so I was able to recoop at the break, and was fine, the other gave me that sick feeling, but luckily that one was with like 5 minutes left in the game, and we were dominating.

I think I've told this story too, but in college they had an intramural floor hockey league, and one of the kids that played wore just pads and a blocker/glove. The other goalies, including me, always thought he was nuts, but he said if he got hit in the nuts/chest/head/arms, he hosed up and deserved it. Yeah...

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

Martytoof posted:

I always THINK I do, but results state otherwise.

I do the same thing. I made more wrist saves than I did glove saves.

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

So the roller/dek team that I got on that I didn't know which it was is actually a Dek team. Now I don't have a big issue with Dek, since I guess a couple of the guys can't skate, but I'd certainly prefer roller.

Anyways, tonight was an open skate (or run?) at the rink, and since we hadn't played yet, about half the team went down to play. I got there late, and a kid was playing goal on one side that was clearly not a goalie, and the other side had the other kid that sort of plays goal for us. He apparently likes to play goal, but is not normally a goalie.

I ask the kid if he wants to skate, he does, so I get my gear on for goal. It's the first time in like 2 or 3 years I've put on my gear. Holy poo poo. Not only am I terribly rusty, but playing against Dek players is just something I had a brutal time dealing with. My "team" was all the guys on skates there, the "opposition" was most of my team, guys in sneakers.

I couldn't adjust to the start/stop, and am actually not terribly upset that we have another goalie who doesn't really have any regular hockey experience. I was anticipating things that just didn't happen. By the time I actually shook some of the rust off, and starting making saves, it got a bit better. I still had trouble with it, but I started getting in a groove and getting my positioning back, and then of course they ended the open session.

Oh well, first game is tomorrow, and luckily I'm not getting thrown to the fire. Just playing D.

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

crashlanding posted:

How the hell can you play a game with half the guys on skates and half the guys in shoes? That doesn't sound like it would work at all. Pretty much the only thing dek hockey is good for is stickhandling because it forces you to stickhandle with your feet moving. A lot of guys in roller/ice when they start out just start gliding every time they try and deke and that doesn't work that great.

Amazingly it wasn't too bad. I thought it would work terribly as well, but it was a somewhat decent back and forth game. We gave up tons of odd man rushes though, since the guys running obviously could turn and go up ice in an instant, but otherwise it wasn't awful.

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

For the toe straps with sneakers for me I keep them strapped above my shoe and keep them just tucked into the skate channel.

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

I was on my way to my ball hockey team game tonight where I've been playing D all season (and pretty average at that), when the captain calls me and says I may be playing goal tonight. I flip out because I don't have my gear, but the regular goalie has his, of course, and they just want me to wear his.

About 10 minutes later he calls me again and says I'm in. I'm a bit suprised, but I think they wanted a little more punch from the D (which had been struggling alot lately, me definitely being part of that, I was 0-0-0 0 SOG 2 penalties and -2 in 3 games!

After getting loose and taking some warmups, I got between the pipes for just the second time in like a year and a half. We played a team who we only beat last time because thier goalie was awful. Well he showed up this game, so of course I had to actually play well, and not count on them bailing me out. I didn't even take a shot until like 4 minutes into the first, and gave up a goal late in the first on a one timer across the slot that I juuuuuust missed getting across with my right pad on.

We of course couldn't hit the goddamn net, and the other team had me moving laterally a ton on one timers, but my timing was well, and I made a handful of pretty saves. Gave up two in the second, one on a slapper from the point I didn't see till it was almost by me, as no one cleared out the two guys in front. Third was another one timer to the right faceoff area, and I think it actually got under my right pad, which wasn't flush.

We went into the third down 3-0, and finally got a couple with about 5 minutes to go. Made a huge toe save on a breakaway to keep it close, but we couldn't find that third to get even.

I felt great though, and amazingly my movement seemed good, and considering I didn't have my gear, I managed to adjust well (his glove and blocker were tiny, C/A was huge). I feel like we played better this way, so I'm going to talk to the captain during the week to see if I can get back in goal for the rest of the way. I felt so, so much more comfortable in net, even being rusty, than I have all season on D.

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

I dunno, as big as he's getting (granted he's only a couple months old) I think his Big Body Presence will force him to play D! Plus I just see the dollar signs jumping in my head, having to buy him new pads every couple years. ugh!

It is definitely cool though, because I know if I was playing D, I probably would've been upset with a few things, etc. etc. since I don't score at all really. Even though a win is nicer, and I think I coulda had the GWG, I felt good, and actually came out of the game happy.

I'm also thinking about getting new (or used) pads. I'm getting more and more comfortable basically doing a full butterfly, instead of my "Tim Thomas hybrid" I've been doing for a while. The pads I use are oldish, and not really condusive to a butterfly, as I'm basically hanging on a tiny side pad and the straps when I go down. For someone who's playing recreationally and not that often (and roller), anyone got any good suggestions that won't kill my bank account?

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

No that works. I didn't know if anyone knew any good specific deals, which would've been fine. But pointing me to a place like you said works too. I gotta head to a local hockey shop, and see if I can try on some gear, then go hit up some used places/ebay/etc. and see if I can find anything.

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

Chemmy posted:

Both South Windsor and Wesco have big goalie rooms.

Ah nice, thanks for the heads up. Where is Wesco? I think I've been to South Windsor. I know some of the close shops to me didn't have much, but I was gonna look for the stores online to see if I could find any info.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

crusader donkey posted:

Man, I'm rocking a .848 save percentage and 3.33 gaa my last 3 games. It's easily the best stretch of my life. I've only let in one cheapie where I was a little out of position on a screened point shot and I'm usually good for one a game where I'm a little off on positioning.

I'm looking at getting into ice, is there any possibility of finding a decent set of used pads that will last me a couple years for less than $400? My budget is very limited by my student loan payments, 400 is just about as high as I could go.

Check the discussion from this page/last page that I had. There's a couple links that had decently priced gear.

• Locked thread