Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

I hear there's gonna be cake!
I say to my d-men "I can't stick handle for poo poo. I'm a righty shot when I'm out of goal, so besides a quick backhand whack or something, you guys are on your own."

Thats how I stickhandle!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

Oh god, thats even worse if I have to race out to try and get to the puck before a forward, half the time I fan on the puck, or just get a piece of it, the other half I put it right back into the guy I'm racing with. It's awful.

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

Played game 2 in net for me (game 6, I think in season), and as happy as I was the first game with my work, even though we lost, lastnight was the opposite. I ended up getting out of the house late, and got to the rink late. To add to it, I was in such a rush to get dressed, I put my pads on before I put on my shorts. Ugh. I finally got in net about 10 second before first puck drop, and took like 3 warmup shots.

Of course, I just wasn't feeling it, and in a scramble in front it squirted to a guy on the wing, and the shot went off my shoulder and in. Like a minute later, the LW comes down the boards, take a shot that the Dman in front blocks, but of course shoots straight across to the RW and the RW bangs home the rebound past me as I stretched across but couldn't get to. Then, another 90 or so seconds later, the other team gets set up in the zone, with a ton of traffic in front that doesn't get cleared out, and I have a shot go 5 hole that I never see, and went down too late. It's now a total of like 4 minutes into the game (we actually have stopped clocks, not running time, 3 10 minute periods), and it's 3-0. :suicide: Someone even joked I looked like Budaj out there from the night before. Thanks guys!

I'm like 60% save percentage, and not pleased. I more or less am putting it on me, since I was cold, and I probably could've had 2 of the 3. We finally get some momentum though as the period ends on a couple PP's, but haven't found the back of the net yet.

Into the second we get a couple back fairly early, and its 3-2, and thier best player (who I used to play with at my old rink, and he even bought and ran the rink for a year or two) came down the LW, and blasted one stickside high (my weakness) on me. I think my positioning was off, as I felt like I should've had it. Late in the period, and we had an absolutely awful giveaway right in the slot, the forechecker turned around and blasted one high-gloveside and I got the tip of my glove on, but not enough, and we're down 5-2.

I can't remember if we got our third at the end of the second or beginning of the third, but regardless, I finally clamped down, and was able to make some big saves at the end of the second/beginning of the third. The thing that was driving me insane was I couldn't control my rebounds. It felt like everything was just bouncing away from me. Usually I can eat everything up, but lastnight I felt like a rubber wall. I couldn't hold onto anything. Luckily it didn't burn me, but my Dmen bailed me out a few times with clears.

We end up making it a one goal game with a few minutes to go, and end up missing some fantastic opportunities to tie the game. We couldn't finish one late, and ended up losing 5-4.

I didn't feel nearly as good lastnight, and I blame that on myself, just getting to the rink late. It looks like I'll probably be in net the rest of the way though, as the captain thinks we're a better team the way we are now, which I'm happy about. Luckily too, the worst team in our division we haven't even played, so hopefully I'll be able to lower my GAA (which is at about 4 right now) in those games.

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

That team that I lost to 3-2 a couple weeks ago where I felt real good about my game? Yeah, we got curbstomped by them Sunday night, 7-3. We had 1 legit D-man show up (and only 7 total skaters) and another dman who is average at best. Boy oh boy did I get a workout. We held tight until through the second, it was 3-3, but the team was out of gas by the third. Between the end of the second and the third, I must've dealt with about 10 odd man rushes.

I really don't like to make excuses, but even with 7 goals, I felt like I might have had only some sort of chance at like 2 of em, and thats probably being generous, with me making desperation moves and getting a piece of a shot as it's being blasted by.

My GAA went up by a full goal for the season. Luckily I must've faced 40-50 shots, so my Sv% didn't take an absolute killing. Boy was it ugly!

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

Polish posted:

And also one of the other goalies took one to the nuts today, why the hell he wasn't wearing a cup is beyond me.

For only the third time in my career, tonight I took one to the balls. Was a snapper from about 10-15 feet out. I went down a little too early, and left myself open. Luckily, for the third time, it was right towards the end of the period, and I was able to fight it off at the end of the period, and was good to go by the third.

Which segways into...I had a shutout tonight with less than 2 minutes left to go in the game. We gave up a PP and a shot from the point ended up getting banged around to an open guy on one side to put away. I was so sad. The guy who took the penalty apologized like 3 times, but hey, we got the win, so thats good. Plus the 1 GA lowered my GAA by a full goal (last week raised it by a goal though!). I only took 18 shots in the win though, for a team which plays almost no defense (which we really don't), it was amazing this team only got 18 shots on goal. They weren't all that great, but I've been facing 25+ shots a game the first 3 I played.

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

^^^I have a hard enough time keeping the puck/ball in my glove when I close it, never mind a stiff one that doesn't close.

gco posted:

Shutout is a state of mind...

No kidding. I was practically begging the last 5 minutes to go by faster. It was driving me insane. We used a stopped time too, so it felt like an eternity. We were up 7-0, I was trying to get running time for the rest of the way, but I guess it's not a rule or something.

It's just eating away at me because I really think I could've eaten up the shot front the point, but it just squirted away from me enough I couldn't pounce on it. I did, however, make an unreal save in the second. One of our D-men went to play the ball out from behind my net, on the right of me, and put it right into the forecheckers stick. He immediately fired one on net. Went gloveside, and I made just a sick glove save on it. The few kids from the game before were hootin and hollerin, along with the goalie who's leading our division in all big stats. It was nice, but I still felt like I got luckier than skilled, but hey, it looked pretty!

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

How does everyone/anyone feel about the oldish Itech 9.8's? Saw someone selling a used set for $300, pads and trapper/blocker. They don't look too too beat up, and thats a pretty decent price.

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

They look like it's just a shootaround type deal, prolly not that intense.

Space Cadet posted:

Question: When playing without skates of any variety what do you guys do with your bottom straps and toe ties? This has been an ongoing issue with me and I am wondering if there is some really simple and elegant solution that is currently beyond my comprehension. I ask because I have an upcoming ball hockey season and while I putter around every time I play I do different things with the straps and just haven't found a solution that works for me yet.

For my ball hockey I pulled the toe ties out competely, and the bottom strap I have strapped and hidden, sort of, above where my shoe is. It's a little loose on the bottom of my leg, but I really don't see a much better way without strapping the bottom strap awkwardly.

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

Which old Itechs did you have, for pads? You've probably posted it before, but, yknow, lazy. Are you looking to get rid of them?

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

Aniki posted:

My leg pads were Itech 7.8 Vamps and my gloves were Itech 7.8 X-factors.

Edit: I can get rid of them as soon as my new leg pads arrive. I'll post pictures when I can and I'd be willing to get rid of them for a very reasonable price.

Cool, keep me in mind.

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

Martytoof posted:

Just take a shoelace and tie it between a bunch of the threads.

I basically re-stitched the entire outside stitching of my catcher this way. Bought a couple shoelaces and went to town.

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

I'm the same way, I just stickhandle very poorly. I can flip the puck up to the blueline with a little velocity, and some air, but thats about it.

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

What are the differences on the rx5s and rx7s?

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

ManicJason posted:

Someone on another forum posted this:

Durability seems to be the biggest difference.

Hm, then depending on what Aniki does with his pads, and how sparsely I play, I may pick up the RX5s in the next few weeks. I only play a league or two a year, so they will still probably last me long enough. The lovely Tours (I know) I bought when I played on a cement surface like 9 years ago I'm still using, and they're still in good shape, so I think I'll be fine.

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

Aniki posted:

The RX5's are a better pad than my old Itech 7.8 Vamps, so if you can afford them and feel like you'll use them enough to justify the expense, then that would be the better buy. Otherwise, once my new pads arrive, which will likely take a few more weeks, then I'll let my old pads go really cheap.

Fair enough. I might do that, even though I'm probably not going to be playing again till the fall in a league. I'm in no huge rush. Those 9.8's are tempting, but I think 34 might be too small. :(

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

Is it at Wonderland again this year? I wanted to go over there last year during lunch just to check it out (I work virtually across the street from Wonderland).

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

gco posted:

Yeah, it's always at Wonderland. The one I'm going to is from July 27-30; it's the only one for anyone 14+, there's 2 camps for kids in the 2 weeks before. I'd like it to be M-F, but it was good enough last year to make me want to go back so I'll make do with it. See if you can stop by, you might be able to get a few tips or even better: free catered food!

I'll have to try. I dunno if they will just let anyone wander in, but its worth a shot. I've got nothing else to do during lunch (maybe...thats the week after our state tournament for softball, so with any luck, I will be planning our trip to Nationals).

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

sba posted:

I don't take warmup shots.

These reasons above are why.

I only take a handful, and thats about it, and that stemmed from an injury from soccer warmups. It carried over to hockey.

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

Aniki posted:

There was a period of time in the early 90s, when paddle down became the big thing in goal tending. It was in the period between the transition from standup to butterfly oriented goaltending and while it can be a good save selection, it's hard to build your whole game around it. I guess heavy use of the paddle down is more a trait of hybrid goalies than anything, I use it quite frequently, but mostly on plays in tight or when I really want to make sure that I have my 5-hole covered.

I keep my paddle down probably a lot more than I really should, although I'm a self-admitted hybrid type goalie. I don't think I've ever played a full butterfly. I like using my paddle alot, I feel like I can redirect the shot a lot better (at least to my left).

titanium, this last video is the first one I completely watch, and I noticed you're a right glove. Are you left handed? I am, and I've always battled with the idea I'd be better off being a full right, but I don't want to buy the glove/blocker/stick if it doesn't work. My argument (with myself) for it is that I'm a lefty, and I normally have the glove on my right hand for baseball, so this should be no different. But with my left hand being dominant, I wonder if it's actually more benificial to keep the glove on my left.

I've debated this since I started playing goal, probably 15-20 years ago.

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

gco posted:

This is exactly how I am down to the last detail. I ended up trying full right a few years ago (7-8?) but since I was so used to having the glove in my left hand several years previous, it just didn't seem right correct. I'm pretty sure if you try switching by maybe borrowing a full right's equipment, you'll find the same results I did, but it was fun to at least experiment; I'm sure I could probably get used to it, but I'm a left shot anyway so it doesn't make too much sense in my book to switch completely.

Well thats the thing too with me, I'm a right shot when I play out too. It all makes sense, I just don't wanna waste the money. I might have to go find some used gear and try it.

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

I nabbed a sixpack and a big 5 gallon container like that back in college. The rugby team left them outside my dorm (they practiced on the field behind it) so I took that poo poo. 10 years later all six bottles are all cracked or lost from sitting on top of nets and taking bottle poppers, forgetting them, or smashing the nozzles on whatever surface I was on. The jug finally got a crack in it a year or two ago.

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

SO goalie monkey has the Itech 4.8's on clearance, and I can get a full right catcher and blocker for like $110. I'm going to try a couple local places (play it again, etc), see if I can find anything, then maybe order those if nothing else. Now I just gotta get down to the open skates once I do that!

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

gco posted:

You're getting the matching full right pink glove/blocker combo right...? :colbert:

I was talking to a couple of my friends this weekend about it, they said I should do it, and say I'm supporting breast cancer.

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

gco posted:

Went to shinny today, was pretty happy with myself, only 1 GA, slid under my arm in prone. Had a six hour energy shot beforehand (it's cheaper than the 5 for some reason, but it works so I'm not complaining) and I'm starting to feel it working. This was only the second time I had it and it was overall probably my best performance since January. I'll definitely be picking up some more of those energy shots as I'm seeing them working more now.

Not that I have the time now, but for future reference, where are you playing?

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

gco posted:

Are you planning to do anything along the lines of a summer league? I talked to some guys and they only know of something happening in Milford.

Probably not, I've got a deck league I gently caress around in that I'll be playing in a handful of times over the summer, but most of my free time is all softball in the summer, between my teams and umping, it's about all I can get away with.

Deer_fire posted:

Only $1000 to gear yourself out? poo poo, I wish that was realistic for me :\. I just dropped $730 yesterday for a new glove and blocker and I have to add another ~$20 to that order because my dangler mysteriously broke down the middle today.

GoalieMonkey's got RX5 (pads/glove/blocker) sets for $380, RX7's for $570. Depending on what you're playing, you can definitely get geared for under a G.

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

Aniki posted:

That makes more sense. I try to be a lot better about making sure that I eat a lot of carbs a few hours before I play. I have accepted that I can't eat spaghetti, since that doesn't mix well with a lot of activity for me, but something like white rice or egg noodles seems to work well. Also, hotdogs are not a good pre-game food.

It's weird, I always used to keep a tradition of not eating about 90 minutes before a game, all through youth sports, and into playing adult stuff. As my life has gotten busier, I've had to break that a whole bunch of times, up to eating on the ride to the rink because I hadn't eaten and was going straight from work. Never have I gotten sick, or had it severely affect me. Even for hockey, which is easily the most strenuous thing I do.

I starting umping slow pitch softball this year, and I ate dinner a handful of times before heading out to ump, every time I was rushing home to get to the can before I poo poo my pants (lol gbs). I don't get it. It didn't matter what I ate either. It makes zero sense to me, but I've basically gone back to strictly following my 90 minute rule again.

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

gco posted:

Some other NHL names included...Hugh Jessiman

Wait a minute!

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

gco posted:

UnmaskedGremlin, Valiquette's camp starts tomorrow and I expect to see you there during our lunch break at least once. :colbert: We're off the ice at 12 and get back on at...2:30(?) and it's only until Thursday.

So Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday? I'll try if I can get outta here. I've only been able to take about 50% of my lunches the last couple weeks we're so busy.

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

Usually I take lunch from 12:30 to 1, but I'll see if I can sneak out a little early tomorrow.

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

gco, sorry I never made it, work, of course, was crazy all last week. if it was today, I've got zero going on, I could've been there.

If that NHLer pickup game happens, and its around here, I'll be happy to come and take some pics if I'm around.

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

Joey Walnuts posted:

Welp, my wife went into labor the night of our championship game. They had to find a replacement goalie who apparently sucked horribly. He had 16 shots and let in 5. I hated letting my team down but having our first child seemed to be a little more important. :haw: How long before I can get him suited up? 2...3 weeks?

My kid'll be 9 months next week, and I'm convinced I can get him skating now. He can't fully walk, but if you put him behind one of his little toys that roll (so he can use it like a walker) he can walk along. I'm sure I can put skates on him, and he can do the same thing with one of those helper push things they use for kids.

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

OK, I know we've discussed it in the past, but I want to re-affirm what I was thinking.

The guy who ran the roller team I played for last winter said they'll be playing again, and they want me to play goal. I wanted to get new gear then, now I'm definitely going to for this upcoming season. I went on goaliemonkey, and they still have the RX5's and RX7s on clearance. I'm going to just be playing roller/deck, And it's only $80 more to the RX7's. Even at $320, is it overkill, or would the better ones be...better?

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

sba posted:

The RX5's are awesome, I would spend the extra $80 though, they'll hold up a bit longer.

Not that I've had a problem with my RX5's, they're still as solid as when I got them.

Nice. I'm trying to convince my mom/girlfriend to get em for me as an early Christmas preset. Problem is they don't realize how good a price three and a quarter is for pads, glove, and blocker.

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

My current pads are 34" and I kinda feel they're too small, and I'm about 5-11. I'm probably going to get 35 or 36.

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

HeroOfTheRevolution posted:

I'm around that height and wear 36s but have always worn oversized pads by choice. If you're not used to them and you don't have powerful legs, they will be huge and goofy and unwieldy.

powerful legs I'm not worried about, and I din't think they'll be too bulky, but we'll see. I'm going to try and get to a proshop this weekend, try any itechs on to see how they feel, hopefully in a couple different sizes.

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

I stopped by the proshop at Wonderland of Ice across the street from where I work in Bridgeport looking to try on some pads to see what would fit. Although they're selection wasn't great, he had a couple sets from Steve Valiquette since he does camps there. I told him I was probably looking for 35 or 36" pads...he brings out Steve's, which although were very nice, had to have been like 40's, if not bigger. They came up almost to my waist.

He's got a used set of GDI's he's getting for today for me to check out. We'll see how those go.

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

Boot seemed about normal to me. I didn't really inspect em much, since they were so big I was like...yeah no way.

I went yesterday, the kid actually had 35+1 RX9 Pros that he was selling, along with a GDI glove and RBK blocker. They were certainly nice, and in fantastic shape, but he wanted $800 for the set, and I couldn't honestly convince myself to pay for those, when I really don't need RX9's, and it's all used. You can get new RX9's on GM for $800, but he did throw in a blocker and glove, so I guess it's a trade off.

But just for roller which is what I'll mainly be playing, I can't justify it. I was telling the guy who owns the shop that GM had sales going on, but somehow I got it into my head that it was RX9s they were clearing out, not RX7s. I gotta go back tomorrow just to correct myself so I don't look like and idiot.

I did order the RX7 set off of goaliemonkey today though. They didn't have a ton of selection left, but I'm not too concerned. I go from mainly red gear to blue. Now I want it to be here already!

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

So did I!

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

Thats why I avoid stickhandling at all costs!

Nevermind the fact that I'm a right handed shot when I play out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

Can anyone illustrate the Turco grip? I'll give it a shot.

I can actually elevate the puck pretty well when I concentrate and have time, and can make OK passes out to my blue line, but of course, I don't have all the time in the world when actually in a game. That and I really cant control where it goes, I just can make it go.

Part of the reason I've considered getting some used full right gear to see if it'd do me any better, since like I said I'm a right shot when out, and am a natural lefty, so when I play baseball/softball, I catch with my right hand anyways.

• Locked thread