Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you
Last night's game was interesting, our normal goalie couldn't show, our new captain didn't have the list of goalies to find a fill-in. Since no one else volunteered and I knew we would get slaughtered if we didn't have someone in net I offered to fill in.

I haven't ever played goalie on the ice, nor have I even played goalie at all in about 7 years but damned if it didn't feel fun to get in there and stop some pucks again. More than once they had a guy come in on a breakaway that if I stayed in the crease he could've easily gotten a good shot on me so I came out and played the puck off the boards. Ended up getting 3 scored on me, 2 of them were one-timers coming from the back of the net so I doubt I would've had them even if I knew what I was doing. The other one was a breakaway from this girl who I stupidly should've come out more to play the angle but I stayed close to my crease and got beaten 5-hole.

I remember after stopping a few shots and simply laying on the pucks one of my teammates asked "drat you're doing good, have you ever done this before?" When I told him I hadn't on the ice he was amazed I hadn't gotten lit up, hell I think the other team was surprised they weren't able to score on me so easily.

Now my problem is that I feel the desire to play goalie more and more slowly creeping back in, and there's no loving way I can afford another $1000 worth of equipment right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

Zinc. posted:

:( That really sucks man. Thankfully MN is completely hockey obsessed. I can, off the top of my head, think of at least 15 indoor rinks (most have at least 2 sheets of ice) within 15 miles of my house.
I was going to post that I'm spoiled because there's a rink literally across the street from where I live and it's handy as hell and if it closed I'd probably be screwed living in FL. A quick check to google shows there's actually another rink in southern Orlando that I never knew about.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

Martytoof posted:

There was one in Tampa that apparently had such bad air quality that people got sick from playing there. I have no idea what the story is but if you ever get asked to play at TBSA Oldsmar I'd think twice :haw:

Edit: http://reps.tampabay.com/news/environment/article991987.ece?comments=legacy
I remember seeing the Outside The Lines report on that and was happy that they didn't mention the RDV rink I play at regularly.

Hell since I posted I managed to find another rink that's about an hour south of here near Kissimee and St.Cloud who knew there were this many rinks in FL. I only remember there being about 2 anywhere close when I used to live in Northern VA.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

Martytoof posted:

This is singlehandedly the dumbest league rule I've ever heard.

Seriouspost.
Ya, I mean really who the loving hell cares if your equipment doesn't match your team colors? I see one or two girls in my league who have bright pink gloves and think it's hilarious and awesome at the same time.

edit: And one guy with faded pink gloves.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

Lioness posted:

I bet I know the girls that are in your league at RDV. ;)
Maybe, but I'm doubting it because the majority of the girls I see in the league I'm in aren't that good.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

ManicJason posted:

My cup fell out of my bag last weekend and was apparently put in the lost in found for two days. Someone took it. Someone stole my cup. :confused:
Guess they really needed some protection.

Thanks for also putting up the info Aniki, I'm starting to really debate if I should switch to goalie since it'd be cheaper for me in the long run and I think I'd be better at it having played all the time as a kid.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

UnmaskedGremlin posted:

I doubt it'd be cheaper in the long run. I'm probably on the cheap side, and the 15 or so years I've been playing I'm on my third set of gear, and well past $1500 I'm sure in equipment. As a skater I doubt I'd ever spent $100 a year on gear.

E: And I took off like 3 years and 4 years in those gaps.
Ya but it's cheaper in league fee's. I know for our league, even with work helping to foot our total bill, it's still $250 a person for every season. And there's 4 seasons a year so that's $1000 a year that I'd never have to pay as a goalie since they get in for free.

Plus any open-skates I would attend would also be free. So yeah higher initial cost, but it'd pay for itself after a few seasons.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

coldwind posted:

Is there any reason why these are so cheap? Are they really that bad?
Not positive but I'm guessing a combo of being last year's model, plus I think the One 55's are the lowest level pads.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

Joey Walnuts posted:

Also, this guy has been coming to pickup recently. He did the stunts on Mighty Ducks II. He's very fast and has an incredible shot. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyC0WrSDIDw
Holy loving hell that was amazing

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

UnmaskedGremlin posted:

It's cuz you're like 18. Wait 8-10 years. When I turned 25 I went from about 165 to 195 seemingly overnight.
Ya that happened to me too, and going purely by BMI isn't really right.

I did it for myself and it said for a proper BMI I'd have to go back down to 150-160 and I remember being that weight, I felt like a goddamned beanpole.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

Hazed_Red posted:

The rink here in Reston does this. :smug:
The rink here in Orlando has motion sensing double-sliding doors, of course the problem is that right after that opening area is a single width sliding door that requires you to still reposition everything.

ManicJason posted:

Small world. My entire childhood hockey career was at that place starting right when it opened. I'm trying to remember who it was exactly, but I think the learn-to-play class I took there as a little kid was taught by Rod Langway. It was some famous ex-Capital that I was too young to know at the time. All I remember is he played defense and had an awesome mustache.
I'm not a Caps fan and even I know that Langway was one of your most solid defenders, plus he was one of the last guys to play without a helmet and he had some amazing mullet going thanks to the fact he was losing his hair on top of his head.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

Got to the rink tonight for our game and lucky me I got to fill in for our missing goalie.

Is it wrong of me to love filling in and surprising my teammates with the fact I can actually play? Sure I managed to let in two goals on my first two shots but once I got used to wearing some godawful pads I only let in one more the rest of the game.

Guess it helps you're playing the other winless team and your D decides to play out of their minds protecting you.

I just wish I had a spare grand or so to buy equipment :argh:

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

Aniki posted:

I'm going to the Optometrist in the next couple weeks and I currently play hockey without wearing my glasses and I am wondering how much wearing contacts when I play might help? I know that everyone's vision is different, but have you guys had better success tracking shots or experienced any discomfort when you've played while wearing contacts?
Your eyes think contacts are a bit weird at first because they're not used to them but eventually they'll feel like nothing is on your eye. I can't imagine trying to play hockey in glasses but that's because I'm drat near blind and my glasses are thick as hell, which is why I always, always wear my contacts.

Also Marty yer nuts for sleeping in your contacts. I have disposables that I could sleep in but there's no way I want to because the times I forget to I hate waking up to really dry eyes.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

gigabitnokie posted:

Holy poo poo I thought I was the only one that did this

I'm going on week 6 of my current pair now :hfive:

Edit: And I'm about to go swimming with them in :smug:
I used to go 5/6 weeks on one pair but then I started to get some infections in my eyes so I just try to stretch 'em to a month and I'll go 6 weeks but that's usually the most.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

brosef deluxe posted:

Marty: no big, dude. Anyone who's starting out want a free C/A? In a week or so I'm going to trash it,
What size is it because I'm slowly trying to purchase equipment to replace the goalie on my team since he's godawful.

edit: And for if you think it'd fit based on my info. I'm about 215-220 and 5'11"

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

brosef deluxe posted:

Ice or roller? If this is ice, it'd better be pretty low level or else it's probably going to hurt you. I'm 5'10, 180 - so yeah, most likely.
drat, I'm on a pretty low-level team but because there aren't any rinks around here there's still a bunch of ringers who can get some pretty good loving shots in.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

So I'm trying to buy goalie equipment and like others have said it's a bit mind-boggling in the equipment available.

Ideally I'd like to get a set and not look like a weird patchwork goalie.

I saw this on sale at Goaliemonkey and am wondering how it is? It seems like it's not super high level stuff, but isn't garbage basement level either, which I've come to realize really does make a difference in hockey equipment.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

Aniki posted:

It looks like those should be fine. Senior level gear has improved ALOT in the past couple years, so those should be good pads to get you started. It also looks like they have a Vaughn 7400 Sr set for $764.99, though their sizing options are limited. They also have a set of Bauer XR8 Sr pads for $694.48. Any of those three options should be a really good starting point.

Also, stay away from the bundles that include masks, since the Itech/Bauer 1400 mask isn't safe.

Edit: You didn't mention sizing, but is important looking at pads. Let us know your height and also take a tape measure and measure from the center of the ball (outside) of your ankle to the middle of the knee cap. Give us that measurement in inches and it will be your ATK (Ankle to Knee). It's not a failsafe way of telling which pads will fit you, but that coupled with your height should give us a good idea of what size pad you should start with.
Yeah I've been meaning to measure just so I can figure out from the clearance things I see I'd be able to buy, I'll try to do it when I get home in an hour or so.

real_scud fucked around with this message at 23:22 on May 21, 2010

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

Looks like my ATK is 16", I wear a 9.5 in normal ice-skates and the thigh measurement would be 8" I'm guessing so that'd put me at a 33.5" right?

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

Polish posted:

Yeah get some 34". My ATK is 17 and I wear 34 so you should be pretty good with that. If you can, get to a pro-shop and try some stuff on.

Martytoof posted:

Try some pads on and if your knees fall either squarely on the landing gear or within acceptable limits then that's the size for you for that particular pad.
There's only one problem with trying stuff on.

I live in FL and there's not exactly a lot of places nearby that have pads. Looked in the rink the other night before my game and they only had one pair of pads in, think they were a 36 or something but I think there might be a shop run by some ex-NHL guy that has a bunch of pads so that's about my only hope in trying before I buy.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

Martytoof posted:

Yeah I thought there was some goalie shop in Orlando. Alternately, they usually had a few pads at the Brandon Ice Sports Forum pro shop just down the I4 corridor.
Hmm thanks for the heads up about the other place. I think the wife and I are headed to Tampa in the near future and if I can't find anything local I'll try to check it out when we go over.

I figure from when I was younger and playing roller and not being able to really be a true butterfly goalie it'd be my best bet to get a hybrid pad instead of a pure butterfly set?

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

gigabitnokie posted:

Edit: gently caress I'm an idiot he's not a goalie why would he read this wrong thread SOMEBODY IN NORTHERN VIRGINIA PLAY ROLLER HOCKEY PLEASE jesus nobody ever comes to pick-up.
If I still lived in the area I'd go in a heartbeat. I also wish that was around when I was a kid instead of having to play in the tennis courts at Chalet Woods :smith:

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

Aniki posted:

Your mask is one piece of equipment that you really don't want to skimp on. The Hackva's are the most affordable safe mask on the market, you can pick up aHackva for $295 CDN from Don Simmons'. $295 may sound like a lot when you are piecing together your first set of gear, but the expense is well worth it.
Forgot about Don Simmons site, but I think they need to update/remove their US moneysaver feature since it now says

Don Simmons posted:

US EXCHANGE RATE
NOW 0%
MASSIVE SAVINGS
FOR YOU!
And probably will for a long time.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

Sherwood 9990's, decent for a beginner set?

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

UnmaskedGremlin posted:

don't see why not.
Hmm ok, found a brand new pair of pads going for $150 on ebay and debating pulling the trigger on 'em. I kind of feel like it's a loving ridiculous deal and I should get them ASAP since they're so cheap.

Then the other part of my brain goes "Why the gently caress are they so cheap?"

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

Martytoof posted:

$150 for Swd 9990s? If you don't buy them I will.
Just waiting to hear shipping and then I have a feeling I'll be picking them up

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

Martytoof posted:

What size are they? Make sure you're not getting Int. pads by accident.
I've looked about 5 times and they're 34 Senior, and not pro ones since those apparently run like 5 sizes bigger than non-Pros

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

Hazed_Red posted:

Just got back. And I love, love, love it.
So then can I ask where you got it? Looking around at all the normal sites it seems everyone still has last year's model up because none of the pictures match yours with placement of logos and some other stuff.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

Looks like I get to join the brotherhood of crazy bastards who like getting things hit at them.

Ordered one of those pair of 9990's and then found a similar auction for a new pair of matching 9990 cathcer/blockers for that I also bought. Now I need to get a pair of skates and a mask with my next paycheck.

Good thing we don't have a game till Friday and the rink has some equipment I can borrow since I'm getting thrown into goal a season earlier than I expected with our regular goalie dropping out. :toot:

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

Martytoof posted:

Hooray crazy guy :3:

If I was still in Tampa I'd drive up for a goalie duel but alas it was not meant to be.
If you were it'd also mean I could get one of your masks on the fast and cheap.

I really am getting pumped about getting in net though. Our old goalie was awful and I hope to gently caress that I don't get beaten by as many clear shots from the point like he did. Think everything I ordered will get here before our game Saturday so it should be a highly entertaining first game.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

Speaking of poor ice condition.

Is the ice in your rinks bad enough that there are giant ruts still in the ice even after resurfacing?

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

Martytoof posted:

What's this tennis ball foot thing you guys are talking about? I tried searching back a few pages but maybe you talked about it way back when?
Basically put a tennis ball/lax ball under your bare foot and run it along the bottom of each foot for a minute. When you're done you'll magically be more flexible.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

Another equipment question, this time for helmets.

Is the base-line Hackva better than say a Vaughn 8800?

edit: Oh and I got my catcher/blocker in and I noticed there's a weird strap that comes around the top of my 9990 catcher [on the backside of it underneath the Sher-wood text] that if I pull doesn't seem to do anything except come out farther. Even with my hand in I can't feel anything getting tighter, do any of you guys know what it might be for?

real_scud fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jun 17, 2010

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

Aniki posted:

That being said, it probably isn't worth the extra $150 for a Vaughn 8800 mask over a Hackva, but both masks should be more than safe. Also, with the Hackva masks, all of their models provide the same level of protection, the difference in price between masks will be due to the finish/paint.
Awesome I was hoping for that but the local shop was trying to sell me on a Vaughn, so guess I'll order a Hackva when I get paid tomorrow.

He did mention that the owners of Hackva have gone to him to try to get their masks because they want to have a rep in FL. Then they tell him to order one he'd have to get a large batch order of 6 or more when in his 10 years of having his shop he's probably sold only around 6 masks total. Kind of lovely that while they may be a small shop they're not willing to bend to help out another small shop and get some stuff in stock here in FL.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

Whelp got my 9990's in finally and they look great, except that they're an 1" too big, but I don't have anything else so they'll have to do. Hopefully they'll settle and won't be that bad.

Also went to a local shop and found a great resource for both goalie tips and some decent equipment. Picked up a 6k stick and a pair of CCM v6 skates for tonight. Can't wait to see what'll happen.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

Just had our first game against a team that's usually winning our league or coming in second. Managed to get lit up for 10 though quite a few were some redirects I had no chance on.

I think my biggest thing is I need to play some more and figure out the best amount of tightening for my pads. I tried to keep 'em loose but then I realized they were just too loose. Guess I'm going to be headed to a ton of free-skates from now on to try to get everything figured out cause man I need to get my pads broken in.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

Since we're on stick handling I have a question. Last night I noticed that if I held my stick right near where the paddle starts to get wide the index-finger pad that's on the side of my finter would get in the way and prevent me from being able to easily slide the stick up and down.

Is there any other way I can hold the stick so it doesn't happen?

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

Martytoof posted:

Yeah how are you holding your stick? I think that's the most important part. No glove should be binding with the stick if you're holding it properly :(

This is more or less how I hold mine:

If you're holding your stick with all four fingers and thumb wrapped around the shaft then try sticking your index finger out.
Ahh yeah I was trying to wrap all my fingers around the blade like I would hold a normal stick. Guess I'll try adjusting it later.

Plus since I bought a wooden stick I too could take a jigsaw to it, but I think I'll hold off on it until I feel more comfortable in net.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

Martytoof posted:

Cool cool. Just to clarify, were you holding the stick at the top of the paddle, or higher?
I was holding it at the top of the paddle with all my fingers wrapped around the shaft instead of keeping the index on top of the paddle.

Just tried playing around with it some and it does feel better, however I still don't feel really comfortable trying to slide my hand up to the top of the stick, say for a poke check. Mostly I think because the index padding keeps rubbing against the shaft and preventing me from easily sort of throwing the stick forward. Last night I got beat on a breakaway when I tried to poke check and instead of my stick really going forward it went a few inches and got stopped by the padding in my blocker.

Maybe I need to give an even looser grip or something, but for the time being I won't be trying a poke check in a game situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

Martytoof posted:

Got a photo of your blocker? I'm curious whether maybe the material is just stiff and will loosen up with use.

e: Of the thumb part of your blocker, I mean.
Yeah, I think some of it is because they're brand spanking new and need to break in but this part I'm not sure how much will change.

Inside of the glove, you can see the index-finger protection on the top that rubs against my stick

Holding the glove vertical you can easily see the part near the bottom that would hit the stick.

Attempting your modified holding method Marty, you can clearly see the protection rubbing against the stick in this shot.

View from the other side of the grip

• Locked thread