Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS
I've got an offer to borrow some equipment to give goal a shot, primarily because I want to better understand how a goalie is thinking/acting as a play is developing... so I can get my rear end in the way even better than I already do.

Yes, I'm one of those rear end in a top hat screening large wingers you all hate.

The one equipment thing I really want to poll the thread about is how you arrived at regular vs. full right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

Spookydonut posted:

You want your dominant hand holding the stick, unless you're not planning to actively use your stick or can handle it fine with either hand.

I plan on attempting both ways, but I actually feel like I manipulate my player stick better with my left hand (I'm righty). I know for sure that I catch better with my right hand.

Similar to what Vargatron said.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

Oh poo poo. I bought used pads and gloves, and have the rest of the equipment lined up to borrow.

I'm about to either kill myself or find out how many rocket slappers to the nuts I can take.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

Trip report: First time on ice in full gear at a clinic.

So sore, so tired, so many angles and options. Exactly the kind of workout I expected to get. This clinic is more for players, so goalies get shots all night. I'm not used to dropping down enough to do it for the full hour, but I managed to get about 20 minutes of it and spent the rest of the time working on puck tracking and cutting angles.

I need to make some equipment tweaks (trying suspenders for pants), but I'm totally going again next week because I'm just crazy enough to to keep doing this.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

The level of focus required for this is astounding, so far I think I like it compared to the rapid cycling on and off the bench.

One of the goalies for my summer team was there to skate out and she said I actually did fine for my first night out. So that's encouraging.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

Honestly, my bigger problem right now is ice time. I'm generally free for the Monday clinics at my base rink, but my ferret shelter duties keep me from being able to make the goalie instruction clinics on sundays. (Canlan Romeoville)

The other immediate rinks either have rat/s&p at rear end o'clock at night or only while I'm at work. Or just no schedule.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

I like how I've been added to the rink's goalie contact list after one night out.

There's one of the Womens team's cross ice tournaments on Friday, I got an email asking if I wanted to tend.

As long as I don't hurt myself between now and then, I think I I'll take the ice time and punishment.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

This is just so we can stop "making GBS threads up" the player thread:

I'm four clinics into this now and I finally took a shot off my mask. Wasn't a head on deal or anything, but it was from a guy a few levels above everyone else who normally shows up to these fundamentals clinics. I was down in the butterfly, shot came from below the dot, hit the chin area of the mask and careened off. It was more of a surprise than anything else because of how quick the shot got off the guy's stick.

I also got to spend a solid 10-15 minutes of the clinic in net by myself working on movement while all the skaters were doing full ice drills. Butterfly pushes appear to have some subltleties I haven't quite figured out yet, because I was over rotating most of the time. I did manage to straighten it out a bit by the end that little time frame, but I'll need more practice.

I basically started on one post, pushed out to near the top of the crease, pushed to the other top end of the crease, then back to the other post (and return trips), a box pattern.

Dropping to the Butterfly has also gotten significantly easier over these clinics. My body still isn't totally used to the impacts based on how my back feels after a half an hour, but I'm getting down with my five hole closed far more often than not.

Also, my gove side sucks, but I've asked the more advanced shooters in the clinic to focus on going that way when they can so I can work it more.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

Spookydonut posted:

You don't want to just drop, you want to roll forward with your knees, basically keeping your feet in place rather than throwing them backwards.

Also, keep your glove a bit forward of your body and WATCH THE PUCK ALL THE WAY. Can't stress that last part enough.

The forward roll is actually what made keeping my 5-hole closed easier. I realized I was yanking my feet back the week before and it was causing my legs to seperate.

titanium posted:

Your back shouldn't bother you from butterflying, make sure your stance isn't causing your torso to drop too much when you do. Another thing to check is if you have suspenders is that they're not overly tight, that can cause stress on your back when you go into stance. I've done a few goal cam videos lately so if you want to see how I move it might help. One thing to think about is that you dont want your body/head bouncing around much when you're moving/going down. Think about how they make models walk with a book on their head, that but goaltending.

Not my best outing but you can get what i'm saying to some degree.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXRuOKpxYWc

Some of the back problems have to do with my day job. Getting shaken around in a lovely van driving over potholes while moving boxes around never helps. I did just switch to suspenders and noticed it got worse with that. I'll try loosening them up for next week.

Watching your videos is actually one of the major reasons I decided to get into this. Especially "never take your eye off the puck"

YeehawMcKickass fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Feb 15, 2017

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

Yeah, it worked. Loosening them up eased everything. Felt a bit more free to move as well.

I mean, I moved as well as someone with five hours of just facing shots and no goalie specific instruction would. I make no claims that I'm good at this.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

I'm slowly progressing at this stuff, but man I like going to the clinics and killing myself facing shots every Monday night. I'm starting to understand positioning a bit better, and following the puck has gotten a lot easier with repetition (to the point I was snagging some hard shots out of the air this week). I'm comfortable with the initial save but still working on movement to be able to get after any rebounds. It's more getting a good feel and repetition for pushes and sliding that I need to get at. Clinic isn't the best time for that. Luckily, youth hockey is just about done and that means more stick/rat time at the primary rink.

Oh, and I took my first shot to the junk. Nothing hard, barely felt it through the goal jock and player cup. I don't expect any future noot shots to be that kind.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

Found out that there's an 80% chance I get to play in net for my spring/summer coed team's first game in a couple weeks :toot:

Team captain said not to worry if I give up 20 or whatever, just have fun. It's what I plan on doing.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

No games lately? Haven't seen any videos from you in a few weeks.

I found out yesterday that I WON'T be in goal for Game 1. We have someone with a bit more training for the weekend, and they want me up on the wing screening the opposing goalie/being a nuisance.

I also had to miss the clinic last night due to business obligations. I did find out that a couple of the coaches at the clinic were commenting to my team captian about how much I've improved, so that's a positive.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

dogstile posted:

I'm going to take shots at the heel of that stick all day long because if I hit it hard enough it's going to slide under.

I can't shoot well

edit: this is the goalie thread, ignore me

Nah man, skaters perspective on this is actually a good thing. Stuff like this is actually helpful to newer goalies.

Vargatron: I agree your glove looks a bit awkward, but it it's presenting a ton of face so I dunno. I think you may need to get your blocker a bit more vertical and it might get your blade flatter. Otherwise, what's your paddle length?

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

I usually have a finger on the paddle for control reasons, but I may give no finger a shot.

My Monday clinics got a goalie coach, but since it's still primarily for seeing shots it's still free. It's actually been nice to have an experienced goalie around to ask questions of and get pointers about things. I was told that my angles were dead on last night, so I'm pretty happy with that.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

Started getting some real work in on pushes and slides. My legs burn so good.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

I had a really good night at clinic tonight. Pushes and slides were clicking and i was making some good stops on the coaches for a half an hour, then I move to corner 2-on-2 for a half an hour and got through fifteen minutes before giving up a goal. The coaches were impressed tonight.

I'm already sore and it's great.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

titanium posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpxQrd-s17A

Winter/Spring Championship game with a longgggg ending.

The quality on this video is amazing.

I've got a rink 15 minutes away, (my main rink) 25 minutes away, another one 35 minutes away, then another couple 45 minutes away that I've either never been to or only been to once.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

Just got home from a cross ice session (3 22-minute games)

I was way off in the first game, but i hadn't figured out any landmarks really. Game two was rough but I played better. Got some good post to post movement in and was able to steal a coupe good shots glove side. Game three was probably the best of the three games, but everyone was pretty gassed.

I was fighting with my glasses all three games. First game was the worst. They kept getting pushed down my nose.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

You haven't, but I don't wear them because no matter what type of contact I try they dry my eyes out badly within a few minutes. Pretty much glasses or laser eye surgery at this point.

I'll just look into a strap setup to keep the specs in place for now.

Edit: I'm going to be up in Minneapolis in a couple weeks for SGDQ, considering bringing my equipment with. How far out of downtown am I looking at going to be able to get some ice/got a recommendation on ice? If anyone knows.

YeehawMcKickass fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jun 17, 2017

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

Spookydonut posted:

There's something coming soon(tm) that are basically bio lenses that are inserted to give you perfect vision, forever. Last I heard they're in clinical trials.

I also play without glasses or contacts because I can only use hard contact lenses because my eye is conically shaped.

Got any more info on this, I'm super interested.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

I'm starting to get some game-type situations to play in! I also finally got to see one of the first pictures taken of me in action during cross ice this past Friday. Composition of the picture is great, but I can't help but nitpick myself.

Good:
My eyes are tracking the puck.
I very clearly made this save, and made it look easy.
I say that because I had this guy scouted out and he pretty much always shoots for that spot, so score one for good prep.

Bad:
Mismatched leg pads with gloves, I clearly don't look better than anyone on the ice with this getup.
Stick not covering 5 hole properly (luckily my knees were together).

I think the angle on the picture has me believing i'm giving up a little bit more net short side than I actually am. The shot release was probably right around in line with the right edge of the hash marks in the circle. Slightly overlapping my left leg instead of jamming my skates into the post probably wouldn't have been a bad idea. I also think I may be a bit deep, but I blame that on this being cross ice and having practically no landmarks to work with.

But hey, I only gave up like four goals that mini game while the other guy got shelled for like 12, so I'll take it.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

I missed a couple weeks of clinics because of business obligations, but made it back right in time for the goalie coach to return. I got a solid thirty minutes of goaltending drills, getting to pick his brain on situations, then five best of three breakaway drills where I ended up winning four of the five sets.

After that was fifteen minutes of in zone 3-on-3 with the higher ability skaters (including a goalie skating out) followed by fifteen minutes of the same with the lower ability skaters.

The lower ability skaters were a hell of a lot harder than the higher ability group. Partially because I was a good bit more tired by that point, but because the shots they were letting out were at random and odd speeds or just knuckle pucks. I'm told that's fairly common, any truth to it?

The goalie who was skating out in the higher ability group said I should definitely hit the winter league draft skate in net. He thinks I'm ready for the lowest level of mens league.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

Oh hey, I'm goaltending at a low-intermediate level private pickup tonight. :toot:

Edit: Man that was fun.

YeehawMcKickass fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Jul 13, 2017

• Locked thread