Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Apparently there is a rather large surplus of goaltenders, both ice and roller, that call SAS their home.

It's an amazingly fun position to play, and knowing you're the last line of defense really brings the game home. For better or for worse you're in it. When you make that amazing save, that's all you. When you give up that horrible three-mile-an-hour-floater, that was all you too bub.

Anyway, there's a surplus of goaltending information in SAS and we run the range from absolute beginners to the guys the beginners hope to be one day. If you've got any questions, feel free to ask.

Some good links of note are:

https://www.goaliestore.com/board -- Probably the highest traffic goalie forum. Moderate signal to noise ratio.
https://www.goalieboard.com -- I think this is where people go when they start to hate GSBB.
https://www.goaliemonkey.com https://www.goalieheaven.com -- A few pretty good stores for gear. I'm sure this list will grow once others post.

And since all us goalies tend to be gear whores, feel free to ask us about our expensive toys.

And since I can't resist, here's me showing off my horrible stick discipline. For my sake, I hope I was adjusting the stick or something. I dunno.

Edit:

Corey Wogtech has some good tips if you're looking for some basics:

Part 1, Part 2, Part 3

Zip! posted:

Some light reading for you guys on the importance of fluid intake;

http://englandhockey.co.uk/page.asp?section=00010001000900060003&search=hydration

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Mar 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Here's why I try to tell my D before each game:

- Go for the pass not the shot, on a 2 on 1.
- If the shot is off the ice and is on-net, please don't try to bat it down.
- Listen to me, I will tell you when you're screening me.
- Other than that, anything you can do to block the puck is much appreciated :)

I play with guys just coming out of Beginner leagues, so they're not always that on top of it. When I get a puck deflected behind me I think typically the defensemen feel worse about it than I do. I just remind them not to bat it down next time.

The only thing I really wish a lot of defensemen would do is listen more when they're in the offensive zone. I've been burned on a lot of 1-0 or 2-0 rushes because the defensemen get tunnel vision and don't hear me screaming about the forward that's drifting behind them looking for a home run pass. But I've been in that situation as well so I know it's not always easy to listen in two directions at once. So to answer your question in a roundabout way, I prefer a defenseman who is offensively minded but remembers to look backwards once in a while. Again, this will probably vary with every goalie you ask.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

||||||| posted:

I got suckered into playing net for 3 or 4 pickup games wearing pads out of the 1970s with road hockey gear and elbow pads. No one else wears equipment so the puck doesn't go too high or too hard. I'm actually starting to like it, this is weird.

One of us! One of us! One of us!

Der Shovel posted:

That is horrible. Your stick should be cracking the shin of the closest opposing player!

I don't really like to leave the crease to do it, but so help me I will! :haw:

Actually, one of my favourite things to do late in pickup when nobody is really trying anymore is to just leave the crease and start playing with the forwards. It's a great way to burn off that last 10 minutes of energy, and is great for a laugh!

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Feb 1, 2008

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

trilljester posted:

My good friend who got me actually playing hockey is doing the goalie thing now for our beer league team. He's got all the gear, however the last couple of weeks his LCL on his right knee is acting up. Is that common with you folks?

To be completely honest, I had horrible knee problems when I skated as a forward and defenseman, and I figured that would carry over and be much worse when I started goaltending, but I haven't had one problem in the past two years that was knee related.

I'm also done up to the hilt with compression this and neoprene wrap that, so I think that helps my body hold together for the hours I played.

I did have a really bad groin pull a few months back, but I let that heal and I got a groin neoprene wrap to help keep all that poo poo in place. I haven't had a problem since.

Of course just because I don't feel any pain or have any symptoms doesn't mean I'm not really having any knee problems -- my knees sound like a cement mixer on good days. That predates hockey by far though.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Rick Grimes posted:

Also, the 1400 masks are going up to $240. Why you ask? Marvel is having them done in Captain America, Wolverine, Spiderman, Iron Man, and Hulk, all available in your favorite Widowmaker.

At least for $240 it'll look nice on someone's head while they're lying in their casket :cool:

Seriously though, this is just plain stupid. Kids will think they paid good money for a safe reliable mask.

ForbiddenWonder posted:

*takes a slapshot after a whistle*

I got a good asskicking for that once. I swear I didn't hear it!

I've been run, I've been headhunted, but the only thing ever to have gotten me to suckerpunch a player on the other team was a blatant post whistle slapshot. I'm not trying to sound badass or anything because I'm not a fighter, but it was so blatant and obvious -- like this was a good five seconds after everyone had stopped skating -- that I went after him as soon as he turned around. He got a blocker to the gut and flopped rear end to ice and I got ejected. Lucky for me there was another goalie waiting that filled in the remainder :haw:

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Feb 2, 2008

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

deoju posted:

As a career back up, I'd like to wap this thread on the rear end with my glove hand say "good work," and then brood on the bench.

Don't worry, us real goalies still value your input :haw:

Seriously though, getting all geared up and sitting on the bench just seems incredibly cruel :smith:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Hey, are we talking about problems in our technique now?

Check this bad boy out. I'm "covering" the post. I've gotten a lot better at it recently, and to the best of my knowledge I never actually gave up a goal between these gaping holes, but there we go :haw:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

PenguinManAmato posted:

glove goes over the pad not to the side; also, stick is either covering the five hole or guarding the pass (parallel to goal line). other than that, the general idea is ok, just be ready to push out into your full stance OR across in a slide.

Yeah, I eventually picked up on the "glove on the outside", I'm still pretty bad with my stick. Sliding across comes naturally to me, though I'm still a little weak on my glove positioning when I do so. I'm pretty sure this was taken midway across my slide cause I'm just finishing the push. Stick is chilling out doing nothing, and my glove is just as useless. Though that may just be a mid-slide thing, I have no idea.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

fenix424 posted:

Here's a question:

A friend of mine recently asked me to play goalie this summer in a roller hockey league with him. Only one problem: I've only played goalie in floor hockey league i played in grade school and in pickup games at the park where i didn't skate. I have only skated a handful of times in my life. How impossible of a task is this?

Well, technically speaking you need to be able to do some basic skating maneuvers to play the position. I can't speak for roller, but in ice I think you at least need to be able to come to a stop on one edge and reverse direction extremely quickly at a minimum. I mean, I guess you can try without knowing that but I doubt you'll have any fun.

But realistically if you want to get further you need to be one of the better skaters on your team. I don't mean that in a "don't bother playing in goal" type of way, but if you have until summer to learn, go and skate every day or whatever -- it's pretty easy to pick up to be quite honest.

Edit:

Not entirely off topic, but I forgot that someone put up Corey Wogtech's little instructional video online. I added the URLs to the bottom of the OP.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Feb 4, 2008

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I don't think you're being too harsh but whatever.

I know there are things I have to work on and I'd rather have you or anyone else in this thread give me food for thought than clam up about it. Suggestions and other viewpoints are always good, otherwise I wouldn't think of trying new techniques or whatnot.

Besides, us goalies are supposed to be opinionated.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

PenguinManAmato posted:

Here's my take on post guard movements and stick positioning:

On the left (glove hand) post, you should only be going into that half-butterfly mechanic pre-shot if:
1) the guy is behind the net
2) the only viable passing options are to your left below the dot
3) the guy is skating towards the net

Yeah, actually I remember the photo I posted because I cropped it out of a much bigger one a long time ago. Not pictured are my defense (don't worry, there were nowhere to be seen in the original either), the guy with the puck over in the direction I'm looking, and a guy sitting right on my back door. I figured I'd have the best chance to avoid anything by being ready to slide across (remember that in my league the chance of someone lifting a puck is slim).

That being said, I did have horrible glove positioning, and my stick should have been much more active.

Aniki posted:

My friend is obsessed with the night vision feature of that camera, so he looks for any excuse to use it even when it's not necessary.

Get him to turn on the Sepia mode on his camera and make an old timey silent goalie movie with piano music.

*Gets scored on*

"Oh poppycock!"

*Makes a great save*

"Zounds, I have mitigated your scoring attempt, good sir!"

:haw:

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Feb 4, 2008

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I was going through some photos I took way back when and

HELLO THIGH RISE :monocle:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah, I don't know if it's just the angle the photo was taken at but they look like +10" on the rise or something :psyduck:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Maybe we wouldn't be so whiney if Bettman didn't insist I spend money to make my equipment smaller <:mad:>

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Those are pretty snazzy, but is there any point to the knee breaks if your medial roll isn't broken up too?

Just curious cause they still look cool :toot:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

It's really hard to say. Each manufacturer has a different recommended ankle-to-knee sizing guide. What is your ankle-to-knee, and what pads are you looking at?

There's a pretty big "what is your ATK" thread over on the GSBB, but remember that it's a very personal fit so what works for some dude may not work for you.

I'm 5'10 and PMA's 35+2s are pretty much dead on for me, but I would probably wear a 34 or 33 in some other brands. Pads will also shrink a little over their life, so used pads tend sometimes fit even if they're a little outside of the norm.

PenguinManAmato posted:

It works fine, the bottom of the pad bends more than the top is all.

I guess that works :cool:

nahanahs posted:

Wow, I have no idea what you just asked.

"knee breaks" into google images is.. jesus.

Haha, sorry -- I just meant that your pads have more places to bend in the knee than they do in the outer roll which, as PMA mentioned, will probably just result in the pad bending more in the bottom than the top.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Feb 6, 2008

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Quick question. Have any of you played in the old Koho pads? I didn't think you could get them anymore, but apparently Goalie Monkey has the 700 and 700 Pro. I'm not sure what my question is specifically, but I'd love to try them on so maybe, if you have, can compare them to some other pads you wore? I dunno.

I'm also really curious about the RBK 8k. I wasn't all that impressed with the way it looked when I tried it on, but the P2 doesn't really look any better at all inside, cosmetically speaking (at least from pictures). I'm hoping I'm not ruling out a (relatively) good, cheaper pad just because I thought it looked chintzy.

Edit: Also, what the gently caress? Are you serious? I want to see what the big difference between these and the V3 is, that they're almost half the price.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Feb 6, 2008

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Melted posted:

marty if you're planning on getting rid of those velos of yours i'd like to see if they fit me :) :) :)

I'm definitely not getting rid of them until I can find a job and a new set of pads, but I'll definitely let you know if they become available. Always good to keep them in the family :cool:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

sba posted:

hmmmm....interesting.

custom colors too.

Yeah. I mean, what PMA said about not playing enough to warrant pro pads kind of rings true with me, even though every fiber of me wants the genuine article. I'll have to see if GoalieHeaven gets a pair in that I can look at.

Someone on GSBB had this insight to give: "The difference is the same as between RBK PS2 and RBK 8K" :rolleyes:

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Feb 6, 2008

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Internet Victory posted:

That's what I said a few posts up. :smith:

Oops. Now I feel kind of bad for the :rolleyes:

:haw:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Ya, I'll take a scouting trip up to GoalieHeaven next month. Hopefully they have a demo pair around the shop. I know they have V3s I can look at, I've just never bothered making the trek. Kind of a shame since I was around there yesterday. I would have stopped in if I remembered.

If anything I just want to compare the build quality. I mean, half the price isn't something to sneeze at, but then again neither is replacing your pads after three seasons because they're worn through :smith:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Jesus christ, he ghosted the Velos well. Those look beautiful.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

That is so incredibly badass. Did you ask for a squared off thigh? I can't tell from the pictures whether it's really square or not. Mine has an annoying taper that doesn't close the five hole well.

Seriously though, after seeing your photos I think I should be going Battram instead of buying a new set of Vaughns. Especially at the price he wants. The only difference I can see is that the knee rolls don't go all the way to the knee lift like on my Velos, but they may not on the V2s that he ghosted either, so who knows. I wonder if he would consider doing a single knee stack instead of three individual lifts.

Is his logo heat sealed on or what, cause I would be taking a razor to a few of those real quick though :colbert:

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Feb 13, 2008

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

The logos are likely the same ones that were heat-sealed on my gloves. They came off after an afternoon of scrubbing and peeling. I have nothing against Scott getting his brand out there, but (sorry Scott) his logo is incredibly ugly and the fact that he plastered it all over his stuff just made me want to pull it off ASAP.

You're going to LOVE that catcher once its broken in. It's so comfortable, christ.

Edit: Oh haha this is awesome, I just found my gloves on Battram's site:

Man they used to be so clean :(

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Feb 13, 2008

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Internet Victory posted:

I might try to remove the logos on the calf wings and the black BATTRAM on the side of the blocker. I dont know if removing black logos on a white surface will leave residue though so I dont know if I want to try it.

I removed the logos on the glove shown above, and while the sticker itself didn't leave any residue (it flaked off cleanly), the glove was already dirty so when I pulled the logos off you could (very) visibly see where the dirty white leather contrasted with the clean white leather that was under the logos.

You can't really tell anymore since I've used them enough to make up the difference in grime, so I'm pretty happy with how it looks :haw:

Honestly if they don't bother you, I wouldn't bother removing them. It was a personal decision. I would prefer all my gear to be un-branded if I could get it that way, but it's not a dealbreaker.

Are the logos on the outside gusset just sewn into place?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

The kit looks fantastic. How does it feel on ice?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Not to derail your question, but how are your 6ks holding up? I hear a lot about premature wear and tear.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I think T-Bone uses a set of Brian's. They're not very mainstream and I don't think there's enough out there to distinguish them from a "safe bet" like RBKs or Vaughns. Same reason you don't see many Eagles either, I think.

Edit: Oh and I haven't seen a pair I liked yet, aesthetically :smith:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Goalie Heaven just replied back that they should have a pair of V3 7400 Sr. pads to show off by the end of the month. I can't wait to see the build quality and compare them to actual V3 pads.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Tim Thomas posted:

Could you send those pics on? I'm hoping to play some semipro next year so I need to change some equipment :sigh:

Yeah, I'll be sure to post them here. I'm going to try to get out there either late Feb or early March.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Are you 8' tall? :monocle:

I don't think I do any stretching of my back, really. Most of my stretches are leg and groin related. I don't know the technical names so I can't really go into detail. I do a sort of modified seal stretch on ice though just to get my upper half used to bending.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Here is some more info on the 7400s from a GoalieMonkey.com guy:

quote:

They are made oversea's. What can be confusing is the pad, blocker & glove are made oversea's, but the chest is made domestically. I think it will be a very popular being that it is in the same price range as the 8K and 7.8 series. Should be an interesting year with this and the Bauer One75 line. Aslo, we will be having a 6k and 8k Turco Break series.

The 8600 is not the same quality as the 7400. The 7400 = 8k in general quality and the 8600 = 6k in general quality. This is very general because the way Vaughn makes their pads and RbK makes theirs is very different.

Thanks, Mike

I'm a little leery of the Sr. lines for durability, but I mean I play once or twice a week max -- hopefully they wouldn't wear out TOO quickly. I'd say that if I can find a pair of 7400s for around $700 and get maybe three years of intermittent use out of them I would be pretty happy.

If they can custom these up, I'm probably going to spring for this:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Joey Walnuts posted:

Curious, has anyone had to pay to play on their team? This next season, they want me to pay at least half of the amount. Something I have never had to do before. It's not that big of a deal, but I guess I was just perplexed.

I always paid 50% of what a player would. Shinny and practice time was always free though.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Tim Thomas posted:

all I know is if you're in a place where you have to pay to play, you should spend money on this instead:

I'm waaaaaaaay ahead of you :haw:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Ohh my god I just got back from my first shinny in six months.

Apparently there's a HUGE difference in the talent of your average shinny-goer between Tampa and Ontario. I've never been more sore and tired, and it didn't help that I have have to re-learn everything that used to be a reflex. There's nothing quite like getting down on the ice for a stretch you used to be able to do and feel that incredible twinge of pain when your body says "nuh uh, I'm not supposed to bend like that".

That being said, holy gently caress was it fun. I made a few incredible (incredibly lucky more like :laffo: ) saves, and I let in a LOT, but nobody really cared.

I'll be re-training all the right muscles, so I don't expect to be fantastic any time soon, but gently caress -- its better than nothing :haw:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Minister Robathan posted:

Fixed. :haw:

Good thing Wonderllama doesn't read this thread :3:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Minister Robathan posted:

Just outta curiosity, were you playing some good ole fashioned out door rink hockey, in full gear, or at a pickup game in an arena?

Cause if you were playing on a rink, you're awesome.

There's a rink about 40 minutes from my house that has 2 goalies come out and play every Saturday, it's awesome. Hell, the rink itself is awesome, the first thing the nest door's arena dude gets there in the morning does is flood the rink with the Zamboni! I just wish it weren't so far.

Nah, it's indoors. I'd love to find an outdoor rink that's open though, cause it's snowing at the moment. Playing in this would pretty much be the best thing ever. I could imagine I'm at the Winter Classic :cool:

Weather is so unpredictable lately. It's gone from -15 yesterday and it's supposed to be 1 tomorrow, who knows what the future holds.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Wonderllama posted:

NAMESEARCH UPDATE:

honestly, i've never played anywhere up north for a comparison, but after playing in the "A" league wednesday night i pray that i never play anyone better.

So yeah, I basically went from Beg/D league to nothing but these guys :laffo:

Lots of fun, but I'm so out of shape that I'm STILL feeling it 3 days later.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I kind of want to give the RBK P2s a look again. I mean, not the P2s, the 8ks cause I'm not made of money.. Nor do I have any money.. Nor am I making any money..

If only they made them with the Turco break. My butterfly isn't that wide so, I dunno.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Tim Thomas posted:

You're pretty set on the whole non-Vaughn thing. May I inquire why?

No no I'm definitely NOT set on the non-Vaughn thing. In fact, if the 7400 is any good I will probably buy a pair. I just don't want to say I've never tried another brand. I was toying with the idea of the 9990s and P2s when I had money to throw around, but in all honesty I probably would have bought a set of V3s. Now my options are more limited. I'd like to try the 8k and 7400s.

I liked the look of the Battrams too, and they were decidedly Vaughn-like :cool:

• Locked thread