Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

July 4th weekend was a bitch in the states. I'd always fill in for other goalies in my league in addition to my own game and end up playing like 3 games a day because apparently goalies in Florida love to take that weekend off.

Thankfully the rink was accomodating and we'd have our game switched to first so I wouldn't be making GBS threads my team's chances by playing tired after subbing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

After a mask the skates are the second item I would not recommend skimping on. I don't mean buying top of the line or anything, but take your time and get skates that fit correctly and have sufficient padding.

There is literally nothing more debilitating on the ice than constant foot pain.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Same. I've worn cert-cateye, non-certified cateye, and regular cage and I've never really had a problem with just the cage.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Phew, I was bad at that for a while. I'd get lit up and then act like a big baby, smashing my stick on the glass behind the goal. It never made me feel any better and I always felt like a huge shitheel after I went back to the dressing room.

For some reason it's really easy for me to go from "ha ha that was a bad goal man I should have closed my fivehole" to "FUUUUUUCK *smash*" in the span of 2 or 3 goals.

I'm a lot better about it now, but it still creeps in every now and then and I have to remind myself that it's just a shinny and nobody actually cares.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

IMHO those pads are way too small for you, but the biggest test right now is whether or not your knees land on the landing gear properly when you butterfly. That's really the most important thing that determines whether your need a tall pad or a smaller pad with more thigh rise.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Aniki posted:

Playing in an arena is a fun experience.

I plated at St. Pete Times forum. The ice was almost TOO smooth. Like it was unnervingly smooth.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

The only good thing about terrible D is that if you're skating out and playing centre you get a LOT of practise hustling back to play a 3rd D. Always a busy night!

Man, some of the teams I played on in the states.

I'm thankful that most if not all of the teams I played on since I 1) switched to G and 2) moved back up here have had at least competent D that know when to stay home and when to push. The odd time when it's a 2-0 I'll forgive since the rest of the time they'd be pretty dang good at protecting me.

Also it's been so loving long since I played in net. I really need to get back to it.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Those pinstripe Bauers :stare:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Man I haven't played goal in like 3/4 of a year now. I should probably fix that at some point. The medial rolls go on the inside right???

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah, I just fold mine back into the buckle so it makes a sort-of O shape. Never once had one come undone.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I hope you all-blacks Haka before every game.

That poo poo owns.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Bradf0rd, do you work for NI?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Just the logo :)

That's a badass jersey and it triggered every nerd feeling in me :)

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I literally have not played in a year and change now (shame on me, work and a 2 hour commute each way does that to a man). Reading this thread just made me fish the gear out of the basement and look up open shinny this weekend :cool:

Incidentally, guess who realized they hadn't aired out their sweaty underarmour and left them in their bag the last time they played ... a year ago.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Hey so I've totally been MIA from the scene, and now that I have job where I can make it rain I'm looking to maybe get back into it with some new gear.

I've been thinking about what direction I'd like to go and I'm thinking I'd like to return to a Vaughn Velo style pad rather than the Reeboks I've got now. I can finally afford to get gear that is above Sr. level so I'm wondering what the "Pro" level Velo pad is these days.

Alternately, I'm thinking about getting the Velo-style set from Don Simmons. I know it's a knockoff joint, but I've heard that the quality is good and the price is definitely right for a pad and glove set.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Amazing. Best writeup I could have hoped for. Thanks :)

Aniki posted:

Nice to have you back in the fold. I'm not too familiar with the current Vaughn offering, but Zip!'s overview was great. Are there any shops near you that you can demo pads from?

Oh absolutely. I'm going to hit up Duke's source for sports here in Toronto. That's where I bought my 6k Reeboks and I'm plenty happy with the service. Just wanted to get an overall feel for the Vaughn line before going to try them on :)

It's literally been like 2 years since I played so I'm trying to figure out if my ATK is still the same or how that even translates to a Vaughn pad now. Going to let them size me up at Duke's though.

Thanks guys!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

....... I can do that but I don't wanna

in my dreams

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Any of you nerds play in the Toronto area? I'm moving downtown (bathurst/lakeshore) 2 weeks from now and I'd love to know where the good spots for shinny are. My level at this point is beginner/med as I've been out of the game way too long to get dropped in at any significantly high level.

I have a feeling I'll be taking the car to Vaughn or Etobicoke or something. At least the new job is strictly 9-5 so I can plan out my nights without "oh poo poo am I actually going to be able to make it?? :supaburn: "

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Anyone here play in/near Toronto?

Looking for some good pointers to pickup or whatever. I'm downtown by lakeshore so it'll be a drive no matter what, unless they hid an ice rink somewhere downtown that isn't the ACC.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Goaliestore has classifieds:

http://goaliestore.com/board/Classifieds/

I don't know if you have to have been a member for X amount of time though.

I was about to buy some dude's white Vaughns a few weeks ago but he wouldn't take pics of the pads because they were "already packed for shipping" and every reply reeked of scam so I passed.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Anyone know what the difference between Don Simmons "int" and "pro" pads are? Came into a little money and I want to upgrade my old RBK 7K pads. I know DS just rips off manufacturers and undersells them, but right now my budget is going to win over my convictions. I can throw $1500CDN-ish at a pad/gloves set without really hurting my savings plans and I want to take advantage of that.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Oh OK that's a bonus. Admittedly I didn't really look too deep into their site. I figured I'd just head down to their Fort Erie store when I was ready to look at buying.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Man, I dropped 20+ lbs and really worked the legs this year, going to make moving around in net so much easier.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

YeehawMcKickass posted:

I've got an offer to borrow some equipment to give goal a shot, primarily because I want to better understand how a goalie is thinking/acting as a play is developing... so I can get my rear end in the way even better than I already do.

Yes, I'm one of those rear end in a top hat screening large wingers you all hate.

The one equipment thing I really want to poll the thread about is how you arrived at regular vs. full right.

I feel I can catch the puck with either hand, but there was only one way of holding the stick that didn't feel completely wrong. That's the only reason I'm regular and not FR.

Tried on my gear for the first time since losing 30+lbs and a bunch of inches. This winter is going to be /glorious/

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Bradf0rd posted:

I hope you wear suspenders on those pants. :v: Congrats on the weight loss. Seems like you've been missing from this thread for a while now. I moved to Seattle, played for maybe three teams as a sub this summer and already got picked up for a permanent team in Div. 3C for the October through April season and had a few other offers in lower divisions. Can't wait to get back on a regular team after only one summer off. I can't imagine how you took that much time off, Marty.

Yeah, I wore them when I was a fatty too but now they're actually useful :D

I actually took a hiatus for a few years. My regular group disbanded and I didn't bother finding anyone else to play with since, to be honest, I kind of liked my nights free. I'm aching for something to do this winter since I can't run in the snow, and I can't snowboard every week so this is about as good a time to get back into it as any.

I'll have to drive a ways since I'm smack dab downtown Toronto and unless I want to rent out the ACC I'm probably not going to find a rink within walking distance. If anyone else is in the GTA let me know what's good.

I'm probably trash right now so I'll start with the adult low tier pickups. Maybe I'll remember some of this poo poo and move up quickly, who knows.

Duhh which way are the medial rolls on my pads supposed to face :downs:

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Sep 15, 2016

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Vargatron posted:

Real talk, suspenders are okay to use. I have like a 30" waist and I have to use suspenders to get a medium to fit. You may have better success if you tuck your pads too.

Yeah, I tucked. I remember it being real awkward not tucking when I was wearing suspenders.

I also tie my c/a to my pants at the waist but I honestly don't remember if that's a common thing to do or not.

The problem with being tubby and wearing pants with just a waist cinch is that you're essentially trying to put pants on a basketball -- you can tie them as tight as you want but unless you're going to hike them up above your giant belly then they'll slide down 100% of the time. That's why I wore suspenders but now I'm just used to them so I'll keep that going because it's part of my whole getup.

edit: man, I make it sound like I was the size of one of those fat twins on the scooters. I was overweight but never that bad :haw:

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Sep 15, 2016

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'm seriously triggered right now

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Are the GSBB classifieds just not active these days? Not really looking to buy anything specific but the latest post in there is form June 16, then the second oldest is Feb?

Used to be way busier :[

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

My NXi mask had all the chin stuff but I pulled it out years ago. No chin strap, no chin padding, no nothing.

I want to get a more conventional looking mask but it's still super safe and I can't justify replacing it. I just don't like the way it looks.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Going to stitch on #69 right now

GET IT BECAUSE OF THE SEX THING

I'll be a rink superstar!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Man I still can't find any sort of beginner's shinny in Toronto. I'm probably just not looking in the right places.

There's plenty of beginner /leagues/, but I can't really guarantee my time to regular play right now.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Jovial Cow posted:

Is it normal to be noticeably worse pushing from one side than the other when you're just starting out? Like I can push right to left in a butterfly slide fairly far, but when I go left to right I go basically half as far if that. Is it possible my non dominant leg is that much weaker? Or is it some form thing like kicking a ball with your off foot.

Yes. While far from ideal I think it's perfectly natural to have a strong side and a side that you've got to work to improve.

I'm pretty okay on both sides now, but while my right foot push was a majestic action that made panties drop, my left foot push was inexplicably accompanied by off-key circus clown music.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Man, GSBB kind of died huh. I used to go there all the time to check their classifieds but now it's kind of a ghost town.

I was hoping to find a decent all-white 34+2 to replace my old-ish RBKs.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Jovial Cow posted:

Stick grip/etiquette question for you guys. Do any of you touch the paddle when you grip the stick? I have a tendency to put my index finger on the paddle while gripping it, I feel like it gives me slightly more control, but I've noticed when I go paddle down it prevents me from keeping the paddle completely flush to the ice.

Do you just move your hand up the shaft when you go paddle down? Or should I not have my index finger on the paddle at all?

Too lazy to take new pics, and also I am at work where I keep very little goaltending equipment (such as: none), but this post I made in 2008 is as true today as it was back then:

Martytoof posted:

Here's my take on it (IMGFLOOD WOO)

I either need to wrap three fingers way too high up

Or two fingers on the paddle which is poo poo for grip in my hands

Otherwise my fingers naturally want to rest here:

BUT when I hack away a chunk:

My fingers fall where they want to:

Ahhhh feels so good:

Unlike crumleg, I actually like having the stray finger on my paddle. It's never bothered me. What's always bothered me is that my fingers never fell where they felt natural without the cut :)

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Apr 26, 2017

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Ugh I think I'm going to call it. Time of death of my goaltending: 2016. It's impossible to find a non-crazy beginner/low-int pickup here in Toronto and I'm not driving 40+ minutes to go to my old digs.

Which is disappointing because I'm in the best shape of my life. Dropped 50lbs and energetic as gently caress. Oh well, it was a nice hobby I had once :smith:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

You guys are.. more dedicated than I am :stare:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Eh I say I'm done but this winter I'll probably try again.

This is just too fun :(

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I remember the one time I forgot my contacts and didn't want to play with my glasses in.

Vague blurry shapes coming toward you keep you on your toes. I'm nearsighted so once they entered the zone I was fine but it was still funny.

LASIK was the best 3k I ever spent though. I'm not rich and it was still the best value for money with regards to quality of life.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Aw sorry to rub it in then :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Spookydonut posted:

In Perth, Australia the lowest level of winter league is basically an extension of the learn to play program, people still can't do some basic skating or stick handling.

This is usually where you quickly learn who isn't worried about charging the goal at top speed with the puck on a breakaway, but isn't quite skilled enough to stop :saddowns:

• Locked thread