Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nahanahs
Mar 26, 2003

<3 Shantastic <3
I have a tendency to get off my game when people take runs at me and, one time, this team figured it out. If the puck was anywhere near me, covered or not, I'd have someone running into me. The refs were being no help, despite my constant bitching (Like I said, off my game).
So sometime in the third period, this guy's coming towards me, doing their usual Top Gun fly-by, as the puck ends up heading out of the zone. He turns to watch it and didn't give himself enough room to turn. I planted my left leg and dropped my shoulder right into the center of his chest. The next time I covered and the ref came by, the said, "I'll give you that one, but don't make it so obvious next time."
They also stopped running me.

In 10 years of playing goal, I've never taken a penalty. In fact, I've never done anything that could be a penalty, excepting the above.

As far as showing off gear goes, I use these pads. And by "these pads", I mean the set used in that photo. My pads are famous!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nahanahs
Mar 26, 2003

<3 Shantastic <3
Wow, I have no idea what you just asked.

"knee breaks" into google images is.. jesus.

nahanahs
Mar 26, 2003

<3 Shantastic <3

Martytoof posted:

Haha, sorry -- I just meant that your pads have more places to bend in the knee than they do in the outer roll which, as PMA mentioned, will probably just result in the pad bending more in the bottom than the top.

Yeah, they bend towards the lower part of the knee, rather than the top bending at all. That took a lot of getting used to, but I love it now. Unfortunately, I've caught two shots in the knee when the thigh guard got caught out of position and my leg was in a poor position. A puck right to the bone of the knee is just awful.

nahanahs
Mar 26, 2003

<3 Shantastic <3
The logos on the front of my Battrams is already coming off just through regular wear and tear, so it shouldn't be to hard to remove it.

nahanahs
Mar 26, 2003

<3 Shantastic <3
A few action pictures:

This is my "waiting on pushing and shoving" position:

Not the best quality, but it shows my size relative to the net.

nahanahs
Mar 26, 2003

<3 Shantastic <3

Martytoof posted:

Are you 8' tall? :monocle:

6'3" off skates, so put three inches of chassis/wheel below me and I'm pretty up there.
Here's an example of what a shooter sees most of the time. Notice how I'm not even at the top of the crease.

nahanahs
Mar 26, 2003

<3 Shantastic <3

Friendly Factory posted:

I'm standing at 6'2" right now and I'm wondering what kind of pads are for me.

I'm 6'3" and wore 36" pads for years until I got my Battrams. According to Mr. Battram and the measurements I took, I wear what amounts to a 34" Vaughn with a 1.5" thigh rise. I was skeptical, but now that I've worn them for some time, I'm convinced as well.
What I'm saying is, try stuff on and see what's comfortable. Just use the mesurement as a guide and don't get hung up on it.

EDIT: Visual evidence of size here.

nahanahs
Mar 26, 2003

<3 Shantastic <3

Polish posted:

What I'm really trying to ask is.. is there any disadvantage of going too big?

If you get too big, your knee will be out of the cradle and you'll lose all kinds of mobility.

I have some advice to request. I have to play two games tomorrow with an hour in between. What can I do between games to get my energy back up before the second game?

nahanahs
Mar 26, 2003

<3 Shantastic <3
I always say, "a little more dull than a 3/4 cut, please" and it works for me. I don't even know what that means.

nahanahs
Mar 26, 2003

<3 Shantastic <3

Rick Grimes posted:

Blurry shot, but yeah.

Are you just posing or is that your stance?

nahanahs
Mar 26, 2003

<3 Shantastic <3
I'm not allowed to have water at the net with me. It really sucks by the third period :(

nahanahs
Mar 26, 2003

<3 Shantastic <3

Suspicious posted:

Don't goalies sweat like motherfuckers? Shouldn't they be allowed to drink water as to not die or dehydration?

Yes, I do sweat like a motherfucker and the rink management's response when I ask if I can at least go to the bench without a delay of game penalty (yes, they'll do it) is something like a confused look and a shrug.

nahanahs
Mar 26, 2003

<3 Shantastic <3

brosef deluxe posted:

Roller hockey goalies: recommend me a semi-cheap but good pair of goalie skates. I played pickup today at my local outdoor rink, but playing goal in someone else's foreward skates blows.

As far as goal skates go, you've got Tour and Bauer. You can look at both here:
http://www.inlinewarehouse.com/catpage-RGS.html
I have a wide foot, so the Tours were so uncomfortable as they only come in one width. I went with the Bauers. The Tours are also an unusually high boot, but that's all preference.
Funny thing about the Bauers, they're just an ice boot/cowling with the blade cut off and a chassis bolted on. The cool thing is that they fit just like their ice boots, so if you know what you wear, the inline will fit the same.

nahanahs fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Aug 11, 2008

nahanahs
Mar 26, 2003

<3 Shantastic <3
Does anyone have any experience with RBK 8k pads with and without the Turco break? I found a pair of Turcos last night that I really liked, but they didn't have any in a color that wasn't Fleury-yellow or Montreal colors. I didn't try any of the non-Turco break pads on, though I should have.

nahanahs
Mar 26, 2003

<3 Shantastic <3

Martytoof posted:

I suggest you either cut out the boot flap entirely or reinforce it like I did

Requesting photos and more of an explanation of this. Anything else you don't like about them? How about some pictures of the wear you were talking about?

My main problem is that every pad I've ever owned has a pretty defined leg channel, so my leg feels like it's in the pad at some point. These 8ks feel like they're sitting on top of my leg, which, while not a terrible thing, was a VERY different feel.

nahanahs
Mar 26, 2003

<3 Shantastic <3
Would you mind going into a little more detail on the toe tie business? My last two pads had the laces go through the end of the pad itself and before that, BUCKLES, so This is kind of new territory for me. Are you talking about the flap of leather that is bolted onto the pad that the laces go through?

nahanahs
Mar 26, 2003

<3 Shantastic <3
Excellent. Luckily, I live across the street from HOCKEY WORLD!, so advice on crap gear is never an issue.
Unfortunately, last night, the guy who helped me said he wasn't nearly the expert on goal equipment that a couple other people there are.

Edit: I tried a pair of Vaughn 7400s that I really liked, but apparently they only come in 36" (slightly too long. Knee would hit the low edge of the landing pad) and 34" (just too short) and don't come in 35" :(

nahanahs fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Aug 12, 2008

nahanahs
Mar 26, 2003

<3 Shantastic <3
Oh hey what's this I got today?

Click here for the full 644x800 image.

nahanahs
Mar 26, 2003

<3 Shantastic <3

Martytoof posted:

Welcome to the cool kids' lunch table :cool:

Thanks for the offer, but I'll be sitting over at the Turco Break table :haw:

nahanahs
Mar 26, 2003

<3 Shantastic <3

Martytoof posted:

nahanahs, I think we made it in under the "ugly" gun.

Did we ever.

As for sticks, since Perani's gets new stock in once every leap year and due to the excellent speed on shipping with my pads, I'll be ordering some from Goalie Monkey.
I really want to do my part and help bolster the awful Michigan economy, but Perani's just doesn't seem to want to actually sell stuff. It's seemed to turn into the world's largest tape and laces store.

nahanahs
Mar 26, 2003

<3 Shantastic <3

Aniki posted:

Just out of curiosity, what is the hardest shot that everyone's faced here and what type of injuries have you received from the puck? Did it cause you to replace/upgrade any of your gear or did you chalk it up to a fluke shot?

I once took a shot from a former University of Michigan player in pickup that bent the cage of my mask in and cracked the mask itself. This lead to a new mask.
I took a shot in the center of my blocker from an at-the-time Wayne State player that hurt my hand pretty badly. This lead to a new blocker. (Later the game, that same player put the same kind of shot into his teammate's knee)
I took a shot to the face of my pads from a guy who, I found out a week later would be trying out for the Flint Generals, that hurt my knee and scared me into buying new pads.

Last Sunday, I played a guy who put a shot into my pad that rebounded to his own blue line. I'm playing him again this Sunday and hoping he scores less than the five he did last weekend :(

nahanahs
Mar 26, 2003

<3 Shantastic <3

Martytoof posted:

Holy poo poo. Not to make a huge deal out of this or anything, but tonight I challenged out a LOT; more than I was previously comfortable doing, and my game flipped loving 360. All of a sudden I was making amazing saves, pucks were coming AT me instead of near me, I stopped tons of breakaways.

I mean, it's like coming out that extra two or three feet completely changed the dynamic of the game. If anyone is struggling, go to shinny and try challenging out more than you're comfortable doing.

e: I mean, don't go overboard and start hanging out at the faceoff dots or anything, but there were times where I was halfway there.

When play enters my end, I'm usually at least three feet in front of the crease to take advantage of my size. Quite often, this will freak out a skater and cause him to shoot very early.

nahanahs
Mar 26, 2003

<3 Shantastic <3

Minister Robathan posted:

Yeah, I'm just going to go around you if you come out this far, because I can move faster forwards than you can backwards. If I don't think I have time to get around you (defensive pressure, whatever), I'm passing the puck, and now it's an easy tap in cause you're too far out. In any case, if you're really far out of the net, I'm NEVER EVER going to shoot, because you're gonna stop it.

Another thing, you're more likely to have to move at some point if I hang onto the puck at all. One of my favourite moves on a goalie that comes out, especially if I'm coming down on my off wing, is is to cut to the middle in front of the d-man, forcing the goalie to start moving, at which point I shoot short-side.

Coming out to challenge is really a double edged sword.

Your hypothetical situation has defeated my experience :(

nahanahs
Mar 26, 2003

<3 Shantastic <3
I got an "IOU One C/A" coupon from my dad, since he knew just randomly buying one would be a bad idea.

I guess 5 years later, maybe I should replace that $90 Itech 4.8...

nahanahs
Mar 26, 2003

<3 Shantastic <3
I hate to admit it, but I've lost my love for playing. This last season, I played in an ice and a roller league. The roller team just spun out of control and I was taking 50-60 shots a game, letting 8-10 in. In some games, we didn't have a shot in the third period, and others, we never even made it to the third period (8 goal mercy rule). This messed up my confidence enough to screw up my ice league and made me actually dread going to play some nights. The worst part was that I felt it happening through the season, getting worse throughout. I'm going to take a session or two off and hopefully get back the desire.

nahanahs
Mar 26, 2003

<3 Shantastic <3
I'm in need of a new mask and I'm really unhappy with the selection at Perani's "Largest store in the world" Hockey World. Can anyone recommend some decent stores in the Windsor-and-slightly-beyond area I could drive to some weekend? I'd do this online, but I'm really uptight about my equipment fitting right and want to try stuff on first.

nahanahs
Mar 26, 2003

<3 Shantastic <3
These RX7 and 5 are quality, then? I've been using some RBK 8ks for about a year and have never loved them. This seems like too good a deal to pass up.

nahanahs
Mar 26, 2003

<3 Shantastic <3
Each model comes in such a variance of sizes. If I try on a different model of Itech pads, will that size carry across to the RX5/7?
Maybe I'll get lucky and Perani's will have some actual RX5/7s to try on.

nahanahs
Mar 26, 2003

<3 Shantastic <3
As a comparison, Martytoof and I have the same pads, RBK 8k 35" (though mine are Turco Breaks :smug:), but I'm 6'3", so height isn't as important at ATK and knee location in the pad, as he said.

nahanahs
Mar 26, 2003

<3 Shantastic <3
Along the same lines, I played in a floor hockey tournament last night where they wouldn't let the goalies wear any equipment (really) and I couldn't stop dropping to my knees to stop shots. Now I'm lined up with four games tonight with deep red and blue knees. Is four Motrin before hockey bad?

nahanahs
Mar 26, 2003

<3 Shantastic <3
I'll rephrase. I played in a floor hockey tournament in addition to my regular league. If "hockey" is in the name, I'll play it.

nahanahs
Mar 26, 2003

<3 Shantastic <3

El Mariachi posted:

That's patently retarded. Were they using pee-wee nets or something?

Yeah, it was. My right knee is still deep red and grey (?) from the bruising. They wouldn't let anyone wear any padding, because there wasn't enough for everyone. The knees hurt the most now, but the worst during play was taking whacks to the bare knuckles every time I'd cover.

nahanahs
Mar 26, 2003

<3 Shantastic <3
I find it adds more friction to the ice so you don't slide out of the net during play

nahanahs
Mar 26, 2003

<3 Shantastic <3

gigabitnokie posted:

Edit: For example, is there anything inherently dangerous about me using the Reebok Premier II series of equipment?

Where I work, there's a floor hockey league where a compressed wool puck is used. I would wear those for that and not much more.

nahanahs
Mar 26, 2003

<3 Shantastic <3

Martytoof posted:

So many questions is good. There are no dumb questions when it comes to some goalie equipment.

Yeah, what Polish said.
I actually had a guy ask me if I wore a cup when I play and whether or not he should. That is a very dumb question.

nahanahs
Mar 26, 2003

<3 Shantastic <3
Has anyone ever tried using any kind of epoxy or something to cover up cracks in composite sticks? I have an old stick that took a shot in the paddle, cracking it a little, but not really hurting the strength of the stick (I'm sure that's not true, but I can bend it and lean on it without issue). There's also some cracking going down the edge of the paddle. The stick is long replaced, but I'd like to see if I can squeeze a little more life out of it. Anyone have any insight?

nahanahs
Mar 26, 2003

<3 Shantastic <3
Dear Internet, I made an impulse buy today. Please don't judge me.

nahanahs
Mar 26, 2003

<3 Shantastic <3
I've been using their ProSpec glove for a year or two now and I love it. I fear the day it needs to be replaced.

nahanahs
Mar 26, 2003

<3 Shantastic <3

Gruven posted:

I was on Cobra Kai in Spring 2009. Not as a goalie though.

Did you guys play at the JCC in West Bloomfield?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nahanahs
Mar 26, 2003

<3 Shantastic <3

Martytoof posted:

Too bad I've gotten so used to "goalies skate free" :bang:

I skated out for the first time in four years (two primary assists :hellyeah:) and when they told me it'd be $15 afterward, I was like, "for what?"

• Locked thread