Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.
I chickened out on inquiring about my local beer league in time :( In my defense, I found out about it three days before the season started and have only played ice goalie three times in open practices, no games.

Also, a mouse caused this problem while my equipment was in my parents' basement:

The really sad part is I played casual street hockey games with my friends using this glove. I only let in one goal through the webbing somehow.

I am a little worried that some kind of goalie voodoo is required to restring this thing. Also, I should really get some bigger leg pads. Right now I have a crappy pair that's I think is really meant for roller hockey and leaves a gap between my pants and the top of the pads. All I need to say is that it has snaps on all straps save the bottom instead of buckles.

It's inexcusable that I've had a full set of pads for a year that have hardly been used. Time to at least start going to pickup games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

Martytoof posted:

the most I ever see goalies do is laugh about it and grin.
That's one thing I'll miss about Cristobal.

Well, that and how much better he is than Jose Theodore :(

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

Reading through this thread has almost motivated me enough to try to actually play. I set up a little shooting practice area behind my house with enough space for one or two friends to take shots on me, and I'm getting a bit more comfortable with the basic coordination. I've noticed I tend to put my weight on my right foot when reacting to shots, which makes right kick saves impossible. Low blocker side is a goal every time. :( I'm hoping this will be less of a problem on ice, but I kind of doubt it.

Too bad my pads are very lovely roller/ice combo pads that are also a bit too small. I also never fixed the webbing in my glove from where a mouse stole a bunch to make a home. Good thing 80% of my glove saves are off the palm. Oh wait, that's bad :(

I need to stop chickening out and just go to some pickup games. If for nothing else, it will entertain the shooters. I am short as hell and have a super low Roloson-style stance. None of my equipment matches. My pads are way too small and my C/A is probably way too big. You guys would sure enjoy pictures.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

I can't imagine facing anyone halfway decent wearing that stuff. I got some nasty bruises after every shoulder save vs. my friends who had terrible shots when I wore something like that back in the day.

My only concern with my equipment's safety is that, since my pads are too short, I have a gap between my pants and the pads. The last time I actually played on ice (probably 1.5 years ago) I took a shot right in that spot within five minutes of hitting the ice and had to quit with very little remaining leg function. The pads will be replaced instantly if I start playing with any regularity. Even if they did fit right, they are really roller pads, so my rebound control is the same as if each leg was inside of a giant superball.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

One of the rinks around here has a pickup session tonight labeled "recreational players." What the hell pickup game in Virginia isn't recreational players? If I'm going to go humiliate myself, tonight should be the night.

Here are my :laffo: pads that claim to be ice or roller pads. They even have snaps instead of buckles:

Rather than destroying my mostly-functional catcher by trying to restring it, I spent some time tying together some of the fuzz the mouse so kindly left me. I think it will actually hold a puck 95% of the time now instead of 60%.

This is such a horrible idea.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

Hooray, I survived! One of the other goalies that showed up got a kick out of my fuzz-webbed catcher and tiny pads. He gave me a few pointers on ice time opportunities in the area aside from pickup games and also confirmed my findings that there is literally nowhere in this area to try out goalie stuff in person. Looks like when I decide to replace the pads I'll just have to guess at a size again and hit goaliemonkey.

Nothing was too surprising other than just how horrible I am at playing the puck still (right shot as a skater). I can shoot a hockey ball all right, but it's still embarrassing with a puck. Not to mention my grip tape somehow got so sticky by the end of the session that I had trouble sliding the stick down for pokechecks and playing the puck. I am definitely going to spend some time next session trying out the Turco grip.

The first half of the session was 50% me skating back to the bench to mess with my equipment. I successfully broke another toe tie by letting the ends hang too loose and skating over it. My C/A side straps continue to come completely undone every time I play, which is a huge pain. I'm thinking about just sticking a safety pin in them to keep them from working loose.

Also, man oh man do I need to work on T-pushes. I was pretty helpless on 2-1 drills.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

Aniki posted:

As for 2-on-1's, you will want to focus on the shooter and have your defensemen play the passer. If the shooter passes to the other man, then you can either do a T-push off the post or you can try doing butter fly slide to get yourself across to the other side of the net. There's more to it than that, but that's at least a basic way to handle that situation.
I played hockey enough to know it's my job to play the shot, but this was a very casual drill, not a full speed game situation, so there were usually a couple of passes. My natural tendency was to do some kind of retarded shuffle over. I guess that comes from playing tons of street hockey with shoes on. At least I am pretty comfortable with C-cuts and shuffling somehow. That doesn't mean I'm doing anything right, but at least it doesn't feel too awkward.

I spent a few minutes practicing butterfly slides and recoveries, and they were ugly. My outside leg tended to slide back under my body during the slide. Pads that actually have some butterfly support will probably help. Also, I have little to no recovery ability once I'm in the butterfly. I've seen enough instructional videos and watch enough hockey to have a general idea of the mechanics, but it is sure going to take awhile. One time I successfully butterfly-slid to cover a pass on a 2-1, and the skater curled around the net. I tried to stop myself with my outside skate and get a push over, but instead my momentum just carried my upper body all the way over. I caught myself a bit with my blocker and dove over, somehow robbing his wrap-around clean with my glove. :)

Martytoof posted:

As for pad sizing, it's already been mentioned but give us your ATK. ATK isn't always 1:1 with a pad size, it's more of a helpful recommendation, but at least it gets you in the ballpark.
Looks like my ATK is just shy of 17". I'm 5'7". I'm still a bit paranoid about getting unwieldy pads. I'm guessing 32" would be OK. I have no idea how high to want the riser, since I have never had a real set of pads. I wish I could just try some on :(

Martytoof posted:

And as for your equipment, I just realized that I've seen goalies up here playing high level beer league with WORSE and older equipment than yours, so don't sweat how it looks.
I actually take pride in how ridiculous it looks. Other than my catcher/blocker not matching, it won't look unusual at all with real pads anyway. Blue and black almost match, right?

titanium posted:

Are you a fullright goalie? I have a chestpad for sale that would be perfect if you have some sort of cleaning service around you. I'll probably also have legpads and gloves available soon too.
No, I catch left. Also, I am somewhat of a midget, as indicated above (5'7").

After thinking back on how everything went, I'm somehow looking forward to just practicing T-pushes, butterfly slides, and other skating crap the next time I hit the ice. I kind of wish I stuck around a bit longer after most of the skaters had left last night to work on that stuff.

ManicJason fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Apr 11, 2009

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

Aniki posted:

As for sizing, I am just about your size and my old Itechs were 34 and if I had to do it all over again, I would get those pads in 33 or 33 +1. The new leg pads I ordered are 32 +1, but that's because Brian's sizing runs a bit big and their 32 +1 would be a 33 +1 in other brands' sizing. I am not sure about RBK's sizing, but it should be similar to Itech.
It's getting tempting to grab these. Is the goaliemonkey "spring cleaning" nonsense actually a temporary sale?

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

UnmaskedGremlin posted:

What are the differences on the rx5s and rx7s?
Someone on another forum posted this:

quote:

After getting to play around with all three sets though my fears were put at ease. There is a MUCH smaller difference between the RX5 and the RX7 than there was in the X-wing series. In many ways I couldn't even tell the difference between them. I kept grabbing the RX7 pads when I was meaning to pick up the RX5 they were so similar. The leg pads felt very very similar. The biggest difference I noticed was the presence of the extra wedge on the side right above the knee lock and landing gear (sorry I am not sure of the name of this piece. Basically attached to the thigh rise). That wedge is on the RX7 but not on the RX5. Otherwise better materials and possibly better workmanship (though both are made in China). The other difference is that RX7 is available in odd inch lengths and the RX5 in even inch lengths. Some other minor differences but I felt like protection would be similar, just not quite as durable and long lasting which wasn't nearly as important to me.

Durability seems to be the biggest difference.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

That deal does look pretty tempting, but I think I'm leaning toward the intermediate RX7s. I should probably call around and see about joining the summer beer league first. Who am I kidding, I'll probably mash the buy button tonight.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

$400 is really pushing what I'm willing to spend on pads, even at that ridiculous price. $150 difference is actually pretty sizeable when you're talking decent pads (int. RX7) for $250. Yes, I know $400 isn't anything at all in pad world.

I feel like I am missing some important difference between intermediate and senior pads. Is the general quality that much worse?

ManicJason fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Apr 13, 2009

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

More excited newbie rambling:

I went to an open practice yesterday. I've decided two important things. First of all, I am going to buy pads in the next day or two. Still not exactly sure which, but I'm leaning a bit toward the 9.8s (partially because my first choice of int RX7s is only available in gross Pittsburgh/Boston colors at goaliemonkey). Now that I'm gaining some confidence, I'm noticing just how super weird the bounces off my pad saves are. I'm sure it's partly because I am reacting late to the low corners and tending to kick rebounds back in front, but the pads sure aren't helping. I have the straps set up so the pads can rotate enough to butterfly all right, but they tend to stay tilted out, even with the toe tie/skate strap extremely tight. Butterfly slides are pretty much impossible. I'm going to end up learning a lot of horrible habits the longer I stick with these pads.

My second decision is that I need to do some serious work on my cardio off the ice. I've definitely neglected it having not played sports in years and being naturally skinny as hell. After 30 minutes or so of breakaway drills, I was getting very lazy in my stance, even with several breaks to go grab some water.

Even though it was 90% breakaway drills, I felt myself getting a lot better. I still tend to think the net is about six feet farther up than it actually is on breakaways, but I'm sure that will come with time. I was pretty happy with how well I was challenging and my pace and patience backing up. Again my blocker hand got so sticky I couldn't poke check after about 40 minutes. I'm thinking it's old sticky tape residue on the glove. Hopefully I can clean a bit of that off. Doing breakaways at open practices where everyone dekes every time without being able to poke check is a bit of a handicap.

My T-pushes were 100% better once I made sure I did a lot of them to warm up. My explosiveness on them still sucks, but at least I'm not doing a retarded shuffle anymore.

ME LIKE HOCKEY

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

I just ordered the GP9.8s. I don't love the visual design, but at least one of the two sets goaliemonkey had in my size match my sort-of-matching other stuff (black with a blue catcher... I got black/white/silver pads). I also wish they had a preview image for that color set, but it can't be too wacky.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

I just played my first pickup game with the new 9.8s (as well as seeing my first sort-of-actual game action). They are a pretty huge change. I'm going to have to take off one of the two ridiculous Niittymaki double-stacked knee pads that I guess are supposed to keep the strap from digging into your leg. They get in the way of skating and don't do anything useful at all. Having an actual knee channel is soooo nice for butterflying. I wasn't happy at all with the rotation of the pads, but I still need to spend some time finding the right tightness and maybe try moving the toe tie to its optional offset position. I'm definitely going to try that next session.

Things I can't do yet:
  • Butterfly slides, especially from an upright stance. I still tend to kind of jump onto the outside leg which I assume is a bad habit from playing on asphault my whole life. I'm going to spend a ton of time in the next open practice working on this.
  • Recover from a butterfly slide correctly if I accidentally find myself in one somehow
  • Know where the hell the net is behind me when challenging on any kind of angle (I got beat short side a shitload.)
  • Play the puck. At least I know better than to try this one for now.

Things I can do:
  • Make ridiculous desperation saves while flopping around
  • Make pretty good saves through traffic. Being a short dude with quick reflexes is nice sometimes.
  • Recover with the correct foot about 80% of the time. I spent a good bit of time sliding around my kitchen in my old pads, trying to break the habit of always using my left foot.
  • Enjoy embarrassing the hell out of myself

It's still pretty amazing the amount of stuff I learn every time I play. I went from being completely lost moving post to post on wraparounds before tonight to stuffing all but one where I lost sight of the puck and completely wiped out on the far side (:laffo:) I'm still pretty clueless as to how to hug the post to cut off bad angle shots, but I'll figure that out eventually. I let in one squeaker where I thought I had it all shut off.

Good times.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

Martytoof posted:

Aw hell son I know you didn't just say you got a new pair of pads and didn't post pictures of them for us to enjoy <:mad:>
OK fine.

I guess my stuff kind of almost matches. The jersey I use is dark blue.

I have a couple things I'm still unhappy about with my equipment. First off is a stupid problem with the snaps that attach the chest piece to the back piece of my C/A. Every time I play, the elastic strap works its way out of the snap. I took a nice stinger off my bicep when this caused the whole C/A to move a bit out of place.

I guess the best option is to sew the end of the strap doubled-over so it can't work back through. I can't see how this ever stays in place if that's how it came new. (I do leave a lot more slack on the loose end when I first put it on. This one just barely stayed attached like this through last game. It's the only time either of them has ever stayed more than 30 minutes.)

The second thing is the retarded Niittymaki knee pad things. I guess I'm going to give these one more shot before I take at least one of them out:

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

Thanks for posting those videos. They remind me of hundreds more things I need to work on. I'd probably be a bit more than winded after doing that for awhile.

Speaking of being winded, I almost killed myself a few days ago. I woke up at 5:30 PM, inhaled some Ramen, and went to a pickup game at 7. Being very dehydrated plus having a solid brick of undigested white flour noodles coated in salt sitting in your gut is awesome. There were two other goalies and a 3 on 3 half ice game going after warmups, so I just sat by myself in the opposite end and worked on technique the whole time. The other goalies were awesome at giving me tips when it was their turn to sit. I can actually do a butterfly slide to my left pretty well now, and I can recover OK but can't get a backside push at all. I'm still hopeless to the right. It seems like I get a good rotation and push across to the left, but to the right my upper body ends up flailing the opposite way while I crash straight down. :sigh:

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

I need to upgrade from my crappy sweatpants to something decent to wear under my pads. The sweatpants have developed a nasty habit of moving up to my knee, letting the top calf strap do this to my bare leg:

What do you guys use? Something like Under Armor? I know some guys wear hockey socks, but that seems a little excessive.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

The strap that causes my rash is pretty loose. I only noticed the pain while playing during full strides (going to bench and whatnot). I guess I'll give it one more notch.

Somehow I completely lucked out with my skates. My whole family has oddly-shaped feet, so we all get horrible foot pain with almost every skate (although my brother just got some kind of Graf that is the first comfortable pair he's ever had). The random used Bauer goalie skates I got are somehow the only comfortable skates I've had. Only hurt one time when I first got them. No pain at all breaking in the new pads :woop:

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

I tried my old sweatpants + hockey socks tonight, and it worked very well. I'm sticking with that for the time being.

Also, I noticed that I get the same foot pain on the outsides of my feet that my whole family gets with non-Graf skates, it's just not bad in goalie skates since your weight is on the inside most of the time.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

I played four times last week, and I'm finally getting somewhat comfortable. I figured out a good tightness for my pads, and I get beautiful rotation and can actually butterfly slide both ways! I started wearing hockey socks on top of my sweats, and that fixed the chafing.

After that much time playing, I've found one glaring problem I need to fix: stick work. I am really lazy with directing rebounds on low shots instead of just letting my pads kick them right back out in front, but that isn't the big issue. I think my big issue is keeping my stick way too vertical and close to my pads. On shots where I'm not going down often (warm ups or fast drills), I have tons of shots go right through my stick and in. Two times last game I had a shot actually push my stick under my pads as I butterflyed, both keeping my pads from sealing down all the way and also jamming my right hand and stick into a helpless position. The best I can tell, if I had my stick out farther in front of me it would be impossible for shots to push through.

My stick/blocker is by far my weakest point right now. I get beat high blocker a ton (percentage-wise... it's not like I'm leaving an obvious hole everyone shoots at). I make tons of shaft saves where I don't get the blocker up in time. I can't play the puck for crap being a right shot skater. I have stopped the puck one time on a dump, and I let it squirt right out to a forechecker as my D screamed at me helplessly. One shot actually took the stick out of my hand :sigh:

There are a ton of positives though. I finally had a few great save sequences that weren't absolute desperation. I had one where I kicked a rebound to my right on a 2 on 1. I slid over into a load to cover the original shooter as he picked up the rebound. When he passed it through my D to his buddy in the slot, I butterfly slid out to the top of the paint, making a chest save. I pulled the rebound back in with my stick and covered it while my D stared from the side of the net. :c00l:

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

I had a weirdly awesome performance today as well. It helped that I was playing in an adult learn to play group, but I was stoning the instructors every time too. I'm finally pretty comfortable in all the equipment and know how to treat warmups so I don't completely wear myself out or stay cold. The five hour energy drink is also two for two in making me feel awesome. I'm going to try to save it for when I think I'll really need it though.

My main problems of stick positioning and recovering with the wrong leg are disappearing pretty steadily. I also played the puck once under some pressure north of the goal line without disaster (although it was a half ice drill and I realized when I picked up the puck that I had no idea which team was on O. I kept the puck away from a player from both teams just in case and cleared it to someone way up high that looked like they were on D.)

I've picked up a few weirdish habits already, but none of them seem too bad. I like to hold my glove angled straight up when the play is entering the zone (this feels like it helps me set mentally) and lower it as play moves in, still keeping a pretty fingers-up position. I definitely picked that one up from watching Varlamov right as I started playing the position, and I like it. I also tend to wiggle my catcher around a little, especially on breakaways. I think that one's less about taunting the shooter and more about being very focused and kind of wound-up for the shot. I've covered the puck with my blocker a good three or four times without really thinking about it, once somehow actually picking up the puck without dropping my stick. It just seems a lot more efficient when the puck's way over on the blocker side.

The only two goals I let in during the scrimmage were from my older brother though :mad: At least they were both pretty dirty.. one on a puck jammed in from under my pads and one shot from no man's land through three sets of legs that I never saw.

Unfortunately, now that the local beer league is starting up, it's going from five or six practices/pickup games a week to two, all on the weekend. I need to assassinate someone's starting goalie.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

I can probably also attribute my confidence today to reading the most embarassing moments thread and the really old version of the same thread on thegoaliestore forums. I couldn't stop laughing at this one:

gophergirl posted:

I didn't even get the game started before not only did I make a fool of myself twice before the first whistle!

The first time we were getting ready to step onto the ice. Since the goalie always leads the parade, my team wanted to come out fast from the boards, to show how motivated we were. However, the height of the door to the ice was a lot higher than I expected ( not a normal door for players to go through) and I when I thought my skate should hit the ice, there was still no ice. I then proceeded to trip, fall over backwards and my water bottle and stick went flying to center ice.

The same game, at the start, I left the bench and skated hard to my net to start the game. I lost an edge, and went crashing into the net, dislodging it and pushing it up against the boards, almost tipping it back over on top of me.

Believe it or not, I actually had a good game. Who would have thought after that start?

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

I still don't understand the wearing of knee pads at all. Maybe it's one of those after you try it once kind of things. Then again, I'm still delighted to finally have landing gear.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

I magically made progress in a few weak spots tonight as well. I made a ton of right toe and blocker saves I would have had no chance on a week ago. I'm also starting to get comfortable playing the puck in the situations where it would be dumb not to (eg a dump gets to you first with one forechecker and no D in sight). I still suck at using my stick to steer low shots wide, especially blocker side. I've also redeveloped the habit of always recovering with my left leg :(

I think I can finally say I would feel completely comfortable playing on a beer league team. Too bad three other goalies are looking for teams too.

ManicJason fucked around with this message at 05:07 on May 31, 2009

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

I just played my first real game. Right as I was finishing a practice, someone asked me to be an emergency sub. It was a C league team vs. a 12-0 team that should really be B or A. My team had five shots all game. At least I met my goal of keeping them to single digits. 9-1 :sigh:

The undefeated team :woop:ed and hollered after every single goal, shouting insults at my team on the way to the bench when it was already 7-1. "THAT'S RIGHT! HOW DOES IT FEEL?" There was something like 60 minutes of penalties, not including a two-handed slash to the knees of one of the guys on my team right in front of the ref that wasn't called and two of the other team's guys jumping out from their bench and joining a fight, again with no call. My team also let me face a two on none break and let them take two rebound shots before they finally decided to come back and help (apparently they stopped playing because they thought a high stick should have been called). At least the other goalie was cool. We skated out to center ice during a five minute brawl and joked about "Are we supposed to square off at center ice now? I guess so.. let's go"

It was entertaining to say the least.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

There are no pickup games or open practices scheduled in my area for at least two weeks :( Also a sixth goalie just posted on the local beer league forum looking for a team.

It's awesome that the last ice time I'll get for a month was a 9-1 loss unless I want to drive 60 miles two ways.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

It was kind of funny hearing the words of encouragement from the team I was subbing for after the seventh or eighth goals. Honestly I was not upset at all. I let in two bad goals (plus one that went through a hole in my webbing, oops) and most of the others were ones I could have had if I was on, but I had played a game the night before and just got out of an hour and a half practice not to mention it being my first real game, so they weren't happening. They were trying really hard to keep me from offing myself before the game ended or something. "It's OK dude you made some awesome saves." "The game would be 16-1 if you weren't playing really well." I'm learning to tell the difference between actual compliments and the ones people say to try to keep the bipolar goalies from :suicide:. Same deal with the "great save goalie" on stopping the floater straight to my chest after letting in a goal.

My favorite goal I let it was one where I made a desperation save on a rebound and somehow got my right skate stuck on top of my left pad. I flopped around on the ice for a couple of seconds trying to figure out why I couldn't get up before I finally freed the skate. Doing that somehow bent my thigh board straight down into my knee, causing me to not really be able to stand up. The puck went right under my arm pit as I rolled over toward the play, completely helpless. Nothing like that has ever happened and hopefully it never will again. I still can't figure out what exactly happened.

I know communication was mentioned a few times in this thread, but I was curious how much you all vocalize defensively. If your D is leaving someone all alone in the slot, I'm assuming I should shout something like "watch the slot" even though that seems just as effective at alerting the offense. I've also been calling out stuff like "2 on 1" or "watch the late guy" even though I am again not sure if it's really helping my team more than the offense.

I'm finally getting a little comfortable with using my very basic vocabulary to help the breakout (time, on you, heads up, skate, boards, hard around, move it). One thing I couldn't figure out is how to alert one D being pressured to pass across to his partner. The guys I were playing with were absolutely horrible at finding the partner on their own and tended to just cough the puck straight up the middle. I couldn't figure out a quick way to say 'pass across to your partner.'

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

I pictured one of the opposing players slowly skating over to the unconscious goalie and putting a "Joe's Discount Goalie Barn" card in toof's mask.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

All pickup hockey and open practices were canceled as far as I can see forward on the calendar for my area. Well, it was fun pretending to play goalie for awhile :(

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

Two rinks are within 10 miles. There are a few others 70 miles out in either direction that I haven't looked at.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

I finally got some ice time a couple of days ago for the first time in over a month. I was very curious to see how having started learning to play baseball catcher was going to mess with my goaltending.

My glove hand was definitely sketchy, but I whiffed entirely on a few shots instead of palming them down like I expected to happen from being used to a catcher's mitt. I think the whiffing was more because the other guys started the game early, giving me zero warmup shots after a month off.

One plus is I can tell a huge difference in my conditioning. I used to be absolutely exhausted after one game. It's exciting and new to come home and not be completely useless and sore for two days after. I could have easily played another game that night.

Apparently one of my local rinks added this event to the schedule two days next week: "All Ages Pick-Up Hockey $10 incl. drink/slicepizza 10:15 AM - 11:45 AM" I wonder if goalies get free pizza in addition to the usual free pickup :haw:

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

I got my bell rung pretty well for the first time last night by some guy who plays juniors. It was a slapshot from the top of the circle and definitely one of the harder shots I've ever faced. I thought my Itech Widowmaker (tm) may have given out, but it just undid the velcro holding the chin cup in place. I didn't die, and it didn't really hurt once my ears stopped ringing :woop:

Even with a month of no ice time, I am getting pretty comfortable doing butterfly slides both ways while warming up. Too bad I still have no idea when I need to be doing them in real time game situations vs. when I have time to T-push. I tend to T-push halfway over and then sprawl awkwardly into something that definitely isn't a butterfly slide. Doing some of the skating drills from the goalie school videos one of you guys posted months ago is helping a lot (the whole "snap, hybrid, go" or whatever with some time in-between each step to make sure the form is OK).

I only had two terribly embarassing goals: one I put into my own net trying to sweep a bouncing puck back in to cover.. caught the bottom edge of the puck and knocked it right around my left toe. (In the future I'll probably just bat it into the corner) and one I let in because I thought the blue jersey was on the black team not the white team. :sigh: I wish I had more than one pickup game a week, but the one a week has had at least 14 skaters since they restarted it, so I can't complain too much.

ManicJason fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Aug 6, 2009

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

gco posted:

ManicJason, it should be known that juniors are loving headhunters. Every shot they take is going to be upstairs or trying to get one off the post and in. That's why a poke check rarely fails because they're so busy trying to roof it to light you up that they don't see you've left your 5-hole wide open while pushing your stick into the puck and now oops now they don't have the puck.
This guy is actually a pretty savvy player. He was drilling shots in right along the ice vs. another goalie who was playing less butterfly. I'm a small dude, so I get all the shoulder/mask saves.

Also, I know exactly when to use bf-slides in theory. What I was saying is that I rarely make those decisions correctly at game speed.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

Hydration was one lesson I learned pretty quickly. I still don't understand how other goalies can play a full game or open practice without any water at all. I stay away from caffeine (other than the occasional pre-game 5-hour energy shot) the day I'm playing and try to drink lots of water all day before.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

Martytoof posted:

This last game I started turning around and visibly standing to one side of the net when I'm taking a drink just to give the message not to shoot on me.
I don't turn my back, but I grab my water bottle and skate off toward the corner if I have to. The one time play's come back toward me, the guy with the puck circled around to wait for me to finish.

It seems like the guys who play around here are dickheads a lot less often than where you guys play.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

I just tried the local pro shop's ozone destinking. It didn't do anything for my catcher really, but it wasn't horrible in the first place. My blocker now smells like bleach instead of a dead animal. The owner didn't charge me anything. :coal:

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

One rink here has auto double doors all the way until the actual lockerroom door, the other has manual double doors, usually with one half locked. I'm used to looking silly though since I cram my gear into a Jeep Wrangler to get to the rinks. It's worth it with the top down after games :coal:

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

I haven't played hockey in around two months. :cry: There hasn't been a pickup game or open practice within 70 miles in that entire time span. The next pickup game is scheduled for the 26th (which I have to miss) and then the 28th. Virginia sucks for hockey.

Also I got a phone call asking if I wanted to drive 80 miles each way once a week to join an adult team. I called back the next day to say yes, and they had already found someone else.

I've resorted to learning how to play catcher in baseball. I made some pretty awesome kick saves on wild pitches when I first started, steering those rebounds right into the corners :downs:

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

I learned to play goalie by playing street hockey in shoes for years, so I was shocked to learn how tall of a stance you can use on ice and still butterfly.

Apparently good things happen if I complain enough. I'm waiting for an email confirmation that I just got a spot on a C league team 80 miles away. Also I just discovered that there is a 120' x 75' rink in town that has pickup games once a week (plus some weird $500 a year membership where you get three hours of ice time every day). Maybe full ice hockey doesn't exist in Richmond, VA anymore, but apparently tiny hockey does.

I think I'm going to celebrate by putting on my old pads and sliding around my kitchen floor trying to use the correct leg to recover.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

Martytoof posted:

I've never really had many problems with my buckles, but my loving dangler strings will come undone at the drop of a loving hat.

I've had to skate to the bench at least three times in the past month to fix it. I guess I should tie it differently, because the knots just don't last at all.
You can always melt some lace together with a lighter after you knot it.

I am now officially on my first team as a goalie. :ohdear: I wish I could get some ice time in before the first game since it will be my first time on the ice in months, but there's not much I can do without putting a few hundred miles on my car this weekend. The goalie I'm replacing let in 10 and 9 goals in the last two games before going back to skater.. hopefully I can outdo that.

• Locked thread