Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Goalies from Massachusetts approve this message.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
That's an impossible question to answer. A physical defenseman in front of the net, a skating defenseman on the backcheck, a rushing defenseman when you're dropping the puck off behind the net, etc, etc. A lot of it is just comfort, if you know what someone is going to do, even if its not always the best decision, you can react accordingly.

If someone's going to block a shot, I'd rather it be a forward - #1 they tend to get a larger part of their body in front of the shot (at least the good ones, where as even good d-men tend to be preoccupied with front of the net coverage and end up sticking a skate or stick out), and #2 they're going to be higher up in the play, allowing me greater time to readjust if they gently caress up their block and tip it on goal.

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Feb 1, 2008

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Aniki posted:

Do you guys have any advice on learning to track the puck off of your pads? I generally do a good job of stopping the first shot, but I struggle finding the puck after I made the initial save. I know that part of the problem is that I try to rely on feel too much, so I'll have times where I made the initial save and thought that I had control of the puck only to have someone pluck the puck off of my pads and into the net. I know that I need to get better at not losing track of the puck after it hits my body/pads, but are there any tips or even drills that I could do to help improve my awareness of the puck after making the initial save?

One of my high school goalies has this problem, and it seems to somewhat be a symptom of extreme reliance on the butterfly (basically he's loathe to get out of it after the initial save, even if he's not quite sure where the puck is).

To help counter this, I run a good five-ten minutes of scramble drills with him every practice - where the first shooter fires a low shot from the slot, and the second shooter comes from the side boards and plays the rebound until it is covered, in the corner, or in the net.

Secondly and more importantly, on just about every drill I run with him I'll stop it if he isn't looking pucks into his equipment. I don't care how comfortable you are with your pads or gloves, if you're not looking the puck all the way into your save its going to hurt you eventually.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Aniki posted:

I've gotten better at tracking the puck off of the stick and now I need to follow the puck into my body/gloves so that I don't lose sight of rebounds and actually know when I'm covering the puck and not just hoping that I somehow pinned it underneath my body.

I've found that rapid fire and warmup drills actually help to reinforce this bad habit. If your goalie is trying to get in position for the next shot rather than worrying about the initial save he starts waving at high shots and gets casual with his rebound control.

I always try to get coaches away from these kind of drills when I'm helping out at another team's practice. There are better ways to condition your goalie.

p.s: the horseshoe is the most worthless loving drill in existence, both for goalies and players

double p.s: My high school team qualified for states last night and we're on a six game winning streak, I credit a lot of this to my starting goalie's loving amazing rebound control :woop:

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Feb 1, 2008

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
You see a lot of pure butterfly goalies that don't close their gloves to catch the puck. I tend to think its because they think their glove is a physical extension of their chest area (where just about every puck should theoretically hit you if you play the style correctly).

Butterfly goalies keep their arms more tucked into their chest (for stabbing it against their upper body on chest shots, and for more coverage of the dreaded armpit hole), which results in less catching and more blocking. Also, this sometimes develops in them a bad tendency to let their gloves stay parallel with, or even in back of their chest, which makes it nearly impossible to catch a puck (think a t-rex with a catching glove).

Then again, I'm more worried about goalies who routinely try to make exact baseball style one pad Martin Brodeur glove saves (low percentage as gently caress) than goalies who get a bigger area of their chest/arm square to the puck and just try to block it.

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Feb 1, 2008

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Aniki posted:

As for trying to play the next shot, the speed of the game dictates that you need to always be thinking ahead.

To a point. If I'm not playing in a beer league/roller hockey I tend to go occam's razor style rather than trying to play the 40 foot cross ice pass. Yes you want to be aware of who is on the ice and where they are on the ice, but don't let it gently caress with your initial shot concentration.

edit: On fights, the last real fight I got into playing goal was in high school and I was indeed thrown out for it. Jersey over head + blocker upper cuts = fun stuff.

I've actually gotten into about three fights playing forward in roller in the past couple of years - two of them against a former US U18 kid, who is a real loving prick when he's losing :O

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Feb 2, 2008

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I wouldn't recommend them for a pure butterfly goalie (the beasts that is).

They're probably the lightest/most mobile pads I've ever worn though, and I've been pretty pleased with their durability, outside of some knee strap issues.

I'm going to be in the market for a new pair, especially if I play some ACHA next year at school.

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Feb 16, 2008

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Joey Walnuts posted:

Curious, has anyone had to pay to play on their team? This next season, they want me to pay at least half of the amount. Something I have never had to do before. It's not that big of a deal, but I guess I was just perplexed.

In beer leagues? Up north - rarely, down south - usually.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Tim Thomas posted:

I think it really depends on the total number of rinks around. In Boston, even though there were only 4 (now 3) roller rinks when I played there, teams didn't charge goalies; I'm pretty sure this is because within an hour of Boston, there's 50-odd sheets of ice, and ice teams don't make goalies pay.

This is only the redeeming aspect of Knoxville

quote:

Large Indoor Sports Surface

Our large indoor surface is an impressive 180x80 surface fully surrounded by a typical hockey style board and glass system with bench areas, penalty boxes, and a scorer's table.

The surface's base is covered in state of the art Ice Court that is made specifically for Inline Hockey.

ITS TOO BAD THEY DON'T EVEN HAVE A loving LEAGUE.

(tournament next month though!)

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Feb 26, 2008

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
You know what's crazy, the best players in Knoxville are better than any players I played with in Massachusetts. Mainly because I was playing against D3/Low Junior guys in Fitchburg, and in Amherst (after HS hockey) guys who didn't make Umass (which doesn't mean a lot, considering Umass is a Hockey East school).

Still, the thing is, there are so few players in Knoxville that you end up playing with a much higher percentage of former pros, former d1 players - and in the offseason, guys who play for the local minor league team. Now, you also get guys playing in the 'A' league who have no business being there, but its fun playing against a guy who outscored Kunitz at Ferris St (no wait its not, gently caress that guy).

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Mar 3, 2008

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Getting a shot in the knee is the worst feeling in the hockey world. With the new pads it doesn't really happen much though (not nearly as much it used to pre bfly spec leg pads anyway). Speaking of ancient equipment, old chest protectors used to have little padding for the underside of your arm, and a lot of goalies (including yours truly) would wear soccer goalie arm pads underneath them. Man goalie equipment used to suck.

Also terrible: A collarbone shot (pretty rare but I actually had to leave a game due to this during a tournament in Montreal) or a rib shot (which happens way too loving frequently for me right now because I need a new chest protector big time).

Shots to the head are fun too, especially if you get it in the side of the mask (RINNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNG).

Martytoof posted:

Hmm. Good call. I'm still getting used to my skates again, but I typically loved being an active puck player, so hopefully I can remember to do that next time :haw:

Definitely pokecheck if he's getting that deep. You might not even have to extend your hand, I can usually get away with a quick swipe depending on how much reach the guy has.

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Mar 7, 2008

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Pleads posted:

It looks like most of you don't wear the hanging neck-guard from your helmet, is that because it's uncomfortable/awkward, or just that you don't think neck-related stuff is enough of a risk to warrant it?

I wore one until it got shattered by a slapshot during warmups. It never bothered me, if anything it made me feel more confident.

I don't like playing without one, in the past two games I've played I've trapped a puck between my neck and mask and its not a good feeling.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

SubCrid TC posted:

I would have thought that having it SHATTERED BY A SLAPSHOT would make you run out and replace it right away... I mean, if it hadn't been there, something more important probably would have been shattered.

Well, I was in a stand up position shrugging off a high shot so it really wasn't coming at my neck, but more at my shoulder/collarbone.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

UnmaskedGremlin posted:

Are you kidding me? I would go batshit if any rink I played at had that rule, unless they want to delay the game every time I need a drink by going to the bench. And it would be verrrrry often.

If he's playing roller hockey its not that surprising. Although, even then there are water bottles that won't spill all over the place.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I don't demean my players and I expect the same treatment. We all mistakes, negativity from someone other than a coach doesn't solve poo poo.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I've barely played this year and I'm playing this guy's team tonight: http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php3?pid%5B%5D=33805

He does that loving V skating style that Kovalchuk has made famous and its impossible to read him.

I believe the quote on our bench the last time we played him was "He skates faster sideways than we do going forwards." This was from a former AAA player and ACHA player of the year nominee.

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jul 15, 2008

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

cameronThornton posted:

Can you elaborate on this? I didn't see a lot of Atlanta games this season.

It basically means that when he as the puck instead of favoring one skate he utilizes all of his edges to be able to pivot to the left or right. Which makes it impossible to pick up which direction he is going to go in (Think the Datsyuk move except in the run of play).

This also makes his shot harder to pick up because he is skating with his chest basically perpendicular to the goal line, which lets him pull off short side easier than a shooter whose chest is facing the side boards.

Also he uses the V stop mostly when transitioning from backwards to forwards (skate toes point outwards towards boards like a 'V') instead of the hockey stop which lets him transition from backwards to forwards faster than someone who has to turn their whole body from side to side as in a typical hockey stop.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Well we lost 6-4 but we were outshot 51-25 so I was pretty happy with how I played. The aforementioned player I linked had two goals and three assists but I stopped him on a few breakaways so moral victory yay.

We were missing our best goal scorer http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php3?pid%5B%5D=30637

He's usually good for at least two (disgustingly good wrister) so we might have tied.

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Jul 16, 2008

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Oh and hey I had the exact same save PMA was talking about earlier tonight and I led with my stick and saved it :shobon:

Nice pads Titantium. Some goalie in my league just got Smiths, which I'm sort of intrigued about. Anyone ever tried them?

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Oh and I forgot to mention for the second time in a row playing I was forced to "accidentally" knock the net off its moorings during a two minute period of pressure in our zone.

gently caress it we were tired.

Tim Thomas posted:

well gently caress that, time to change the way i play that shot

also, don't feel too bad about the wicked good dude being wicked good, some dude who used to play for riga hc or something ridiculous had a hat-trick and two assists, with both assists going to some kid who plays for worcester :(

Where he usually gets me is when he comes in off the wing on his forehand and cuts across to the center of the ice (like around the hash marks). Now I'm pretty good if a shooter is cutting in lower (like at the top of the crease). But when someone with a speed and a good shot cuts across that high its really hard for me to maintain the angle I want as I t-push/shuffle/whatever coming across - lately I seem to be favoring glove too much.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

crusader donkey posted:

If we're talking about what we suck at, I am awful when someone is coming down my left wing (their right) and drives the net. I cheat to the middle every single time and get beat short side. I'm fine on my stick side, it's only that drat left wing. I can't help it no matter how much I think about not doing it :(

So you're basically going back to your post early then cheating on your goal line towards the middle for the pass?

That's a pretty common mistake for any goalie - I've seen pros do it. I think it can stem from a couple of things:

1) Beer league defenses who don't cover the cross ice pass (which makes you cheat).

2) Worrying about your short side too much. I do this sometimes - I'll get in the Emery style half-butterfly save on my post (one pad vertical facing towards shooter, other pad along the ice). Mentally at least, it gives me the illusion that I've got my short side covered and still have the ability to push off the post and make a save on the pass. The problem is you're on your line at that point and your angle is going to suck.

If you're just talking a shooter with no pass option try mixing in the pad stack + poke check once in a while. Your short side will be covered (Pads to post) and if you're good with your stick he isn't getting around you.

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jul 16, 2008

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Martytoof posted:

I have no patience and drop way too soon.

To elaborate, one of two things usually happen:

1. I drop way too soon and give the shooter way too much time to adjust and go cross-crease, to which I respond too slowly and he throws it just wide of my pad since I have a relatively narrow butterfly.

I think its much easier to know when to drop once you've played against the same players for multiple games (at least). Everyone has tendencies.

If you're not sure about a certain player as a butterfly goalie you almost always want to err on the side of reactionary on anything that's not below the hash marks.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Internet Victory posted:

Holy crap 109 goals against.

Those numbers are pretty average for a roller beer league.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
That's a lot like Price's. Pretty sweet shape.

Those high shots from in tight are a shooter's paradise but one of the things I like to do is pull my glove/blocker back into my chest and shrug my shoulders (basically a pure blocking mechanism, who cares if you smother it at that point). On high shots off a lateral pass work on getting your entire upper body to your new angle instead of leading with your pad/glove/blocker (obviously you simply can't get you're entire body there on time on some shots but its a good thing to try). I made a several shoulder saves last week on bfly pushes coming across on low circle one timers that I simply wouldn't have made if I had led with my glove.

Also I started my workout regiment today (fuckin squats) to get back in shape for an eventual return to college hockey and I'm totally looking for some exercises to vary my routine if anyone has any suggestions.

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jul 24, 2008

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

HeroOfTheRevolution posted:

Until he gets railroaded and ends up in the hospital with torn tendons and ligaments everywhere from his groin to his knees. The wider you go, the scarier it gets. It's also tough to maintain. You can't expect a guy who does that at 20 to do the same thing at 25, let alone 30.

I doubt he uses the widest butterfly known to man on every shot. He'll make adjustments as he ages; every pro goalie does.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I've found stick problems are pretty easy to fix once the goalie is prescribed the right lie.

Now fixing a goalie who is afraid of the puck (PRE SLAPSHOT!) - that's a fun time.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Won our league, beating the first place team (who was 13-0-0 coming in).

5-2 win, 24 saves for me. I think it was the first time the aforementioned wicked good guy was held without a goal in league play (he had a pretty sick primary though).

Oh and hey PMA some d-man on my team played in the precursor to the roller league you're about to start in, he said he enjoyed it.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
That's why beer leagues are hell on goalies. The easy answer is: play the shooter to the best of your abilities but we all know that the cross ice pass is getting through.

When I played competitively, I was extremely aggressive on the shooter (I'm only 5'10) - but I had a defense that was usually back and didn't get passed through.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

crashlanding posted:

Yeah, but then the other team has to rely on the beer leaguer catching the pass and hitting the net.

Strangely enough, NCAA D1 alumnis don't flub many point blank one-timers.

(Actually they do, but when they're getting like at least one a shift it doesn't matter).

The best thing is I had a guy who played defense for Western Michigan on my team. And he was still pretty young, like 29, one or two years out of low level pro. So I figure, alright this guy was a defensive d-man in college (which he was, he had like two points a year), and is gonna be pretty dependable in our zone.

And while yes, he was rock solid in our end, he spent so much time making full ice Bobby Orr style rushes that he constantly left his partner alone for two on ones.

But I should have expected that, it's a beer league, everyone's there to score.

edit: I would never advise trying to cheat on the pass because it's going to burn you hard eventually. Even if the guy has passed up on the shot 12 times in a row, if he's good, he's still ready to shoot the moment you cheat.

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Oct 23, 2008

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

crashlanding posted:

Pfffft, former NCAA D1 players don't count when I think of the term "beer leaguer." Slow guys with beer bellies that have trouble staying onside is what I think of. :patriot:

we have those too. In Knoxville - 'A' league runs a pretty big gamut.

Playing with high schoolers I coached and the SPHL leading scorer in the same game is weird.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Still my favorite NHL game: http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9503E3D8113FF93AA35755C0A9669C8B63

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

crashlanding posted:

It was one of the best goaltending duels I've ever seen (I never got to see the '94 Buffalo/NJ series though).

I was at games one and seven (PEPE!). I fell asleep before game six was over, though (perhaps for the better :( ). Cut me some slack, I was 10.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

quote:

skinwalkerxxx (6 days ago) Show Hide
+3 Poor comment Good comment
Marked as spam
I want to see Carey Price do this

as if Carey Price would leave his crease

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

crashlanding posted:

Jesus, I just played my first elite goalie. Apparently he was a goalie at a top DIII school (I think he's only a couple years out) and he was unbelievable. We probably had close to 60 shots on him and we only got one past. I had a chance in the slot, just beyond the faceoff dots and I decided to just take a slapshot because there was not other way I was getting it past him. So I wound up and got all of it, shot it against the grain, about three feet off the ice and inside the post and he just blockered it out of play like it was nothing. Talk about depressing. It was great to try my best against such a good goalie and I just wish I could have got one past him.

Yeah a lot of D3 goalies are low pro level players. There are so few spots in D1 that you get some pretty amazing guys missing out.

edit: Best player on the high school team I coach uses the dolomite, loves it. I've fooled it around with it in practice a few times and the thing shoots pucks out like a cannon.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Polish posted:

I injured my right shoulder while snowboarding right before I started playing goalie. It hurt too much to hold the stick in my right hand.. so now I'm a lefty goalie.

Now that's dedication.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
When I was much younger I used to wear wrist guards around my underarm because the chest protectors were lacking in those days. I also wore knee guards before pads started being made with them. I don't wear any extra protection now, the equipment is too good - and I don't mind sacrificing a little bit for mobility.

I've never broken anything playing goal, but I bruised my collarbone pretty badly in a tournament up in Montreal. The hardest slap shot I remember facing was a teammate in high school who broke the glass twice during practice (he ended up walking on at Union), and the hardest wrist shot would have to be K.J. Voorhees's, who played for Colorado College.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Minister Robathan posted:

The difference between AAA midget and Tier II Junior isn't the pace, in fact the pace (by pace I mean how hard everyone is working for the speed) in junior is usually slower, but the puck itself moves quicker, and much smarter.

We brought a team to a AAA midget summer tourney and because there were 2 american teams (of 6) each of the canadian teams were allowed two bring two overagers so we brought a couple of guys from the local tier 2 team that we had played with all our lives. They were complaining like crazy after the first at how exhausting it was to have to play balls out because every no one just stood around and passed, everyone was skating all out. Also, they said that they constantly had less time than they were used to, because in junior guys were more worried about being caught out of position than chasing the puck.

NCAA D1 and Major Juniors are like this too. College is REALLY fast, but not necessarily as skillful as Major Juniors.

My Junior A team used to scrimmage prep schools and the game was a lot faster, but a lot dumber too. We would usually have a hard time in the first, then eventually would start winning out with skill.

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jan 25, 2009

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I bought everything from here http://gatewayhardware.com.hosting.domaindirect.com/index.html when I was young (it was right down the street from me, the north is awesome) and still buy online from them now that I live in Tennessee.

Loyalty :colbert:

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Tim Thomas posted:

so if blackburn went from a glove to a blocker, what happens if my blocker arm goes to poo poo?

i hope the surgeon doesn't gently caress this up :-\

butterfly goalies don't use their stick anyway you pussy

(gl)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
That South Windsor shop owns.

Or used to anyway, I haven't been in like five years.

• Locked thread