Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I would not recommend using the 1400 for ice hockey.

It's your head dude, buy something decent.

edit: Those leg pads are pushing it too, they're meant for roller hockey but at rec level they might work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
So I'll probably be playing D2 ACHA somewhere next year and I'm thinking about getting this: http://superglideskating.com/HomeGoalieTraining.aspx to help get back in shape.

Anyone have any experience with it?

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I just got a price check for the goalie system and it's a thousand dollars good lord. That's kinda what I expected but still!

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Most forwards and defensemen are complete morons when it comes to goaltending, so tread lightly.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

SouthShoreSamurai posted:

Weird.

Also a goalie. Also from Massachusetts.

Also... approved?

I had a college roommate from Saugus :o:

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Just don't be one of those goalie dads who thinks their kid shouldn't be doing skating drills.

Hate those idiots

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Still shocked from learning in the old N/V thread that MAF rocks a 3/4 hollow.

His pushes are so loving long and hard.

(that's what she said)

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Martytoof posted:

I can never remember, is 3/4 super sharp or super dull? I forget how this works.

I like my skates as sharp as humanly possible.

3/4 is pretty dull.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I play at a 3/4 but I'm not pure butterfly and I really dig in on my pushes.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Some ncaa d1 kid shattered my dangler in warmups - that was scary.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
My school just offered me a full set of brand new once worn RBK poo poo because they're out a goalie and I don't have my gear out here.

gently caress you bfa theatre major for having such a big out of class time commitment.

I think I'm going to try and play anyway. We're only a first year ACHA program and my school is pretty small (6k), but we've got like 25 players on the team which isn't too bad. The west coast is weird though I don't think they have enough teams to do an ACHA Div 3 conf so all teams are either D2 or D3.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I thought you looked pretty good, Marty. The biggest thing I saw is that you tend get unsquare and retreat to center when someone is coming in on you with speed off the wing - just try to be a little more aggressive on those.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I've noticed after a few college games this year that open skates give you the worst tendencies on 2on1s because you can not trust that loving d-man to play it correctly.

I had to sort of retrain myself to be aggressive on the shooter which is usually not a problem for me (I'm a really loving aggressive goalie).

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
sliding padstack on a two on one against the reigning state champions where I literally kicked the puck straight up in the air about 15 feet on top of the net to preserve a 2-1 victory I don't live in the past at all

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
thank god for hockey because after starting running and lifting again I began to remember how much I despise any kind of non competitive athletic activity.

If I had the money I would play hockey every night of the week (be it roller, ice, deck, whatever).

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
There's really no downside to freezing it 99% of the time but it's more fun to play the puck and beer leagues are about fun so channel your inner Turco

If things do happen to be on the competitive side you can really piss an opposing team off by freezing the puck literally every time, try it out some time it totally fucks with an offenses rhythm and builds yours.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

ManicJason posted:

You have to be pretty quick about it if there's a ref though. One day I'm going to try drop kicking the puck soccer style out to a forward.

I was trying to find the video of an assist that happened either the early 00s or mid-late 90s (I know, very specific). I'm pretty sure it was a Wild goalie (possibly Manny) who batted the puck baseball style with his paddle up to a forward that started a two on one goal and got him an assist. It was badass.

Anyone know what I'm talking about?

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

aejix posted:

I would love to play against an NHL goalie in shinny, on the condition he plays out and on the opposing team. Whenever I see Turco or someone make a crazy passing play, it always makes me wonder what they're like at playing out.

I played against a goalie who played a bunch of years in the SPHL, which is like the lowest level pro league in the US, and he was quite good playing out. Not like, amazing, but certainly someone you had to keep an eye on.

Brodeur used to host a street hockey tournament and always played out. Everyone who saw him said he was awesome.

Also Hasek getting into a brawl playing out in roller lol

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
It looks like my college is definitely going ACHA next season after this probationary year. The West is weird so we might start in D2 instead of D3 (we actually have scrimmaged some pretty good D2 Western teams this year and done alright).

I haven't played a 30 game schedule with multiple practices a week in so long, should be fun. Our only other goalie is graduating, too, and I'm not sure if we have any freshman coming on.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Aniki posted:

I think ASU has D1 and D2 ACHA teams and from what I can tell, it seems like a pretty good level of hockey. Which team would you be playing for?

I play for Chapman University. We haven't played many games this year, as we're on probation (every first year team is), but we've been getting everything together for next year and practicing/playing in beer leagues as a team so it should be fun.

I need to bring my Brians to a leather worker :(

I hear the guy who does the Ducks gear lives in Orange so I'm gonna try him and see what kind of cost I'm looking at for a refitting.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Aniki posted:

What kind of leather work are you looking to get done? A good shoe repair replace should be able to help you with most things like replacing straps, closing cuts and the like.

Pretty much exactly that. I'm just thinking this guy might have the parts more readily available.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
So I have a college game at the Honda Center after the Avs/Ducks games today. Will do a trip report on their ice.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
So I got my Brians Beasts fixed down at that dude who does the Ducks stuff and he did a brilliant job. Pretty much a full refitting (stitching/strap replacement) and they look and feel great. Apparently he was happy to work with them because he thinks they're the best thing Brians ever did and he doesn't see them too often.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I live in Knoxville when I'm not at school and play with a bunch of SPHL guys in the Summer and it's a pretty good level of hockey. If you have a shot go for it man.

edit: also forgot to do a trip report on the Honda Center. The ice is incredibly hard there. Like too hard and I'm a strong skater - not nearly enough give but I guess if you had a NHL stride it would be fine.

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Mar 19, 2011

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Ugh my weightlifting professor (yeah I'm a theatre/film major taking a weightlifting class academic eh) found out I play on the hockey team and devised me a brutal array of squats and lunges.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Aniki posted:

Would you be comfortable sharing the program that he devised for you?

Backsquat 3x12
Frontsquat 3x12
Clean and Jerk 3x12
Frog Jumps across our football field and back x4
Lunges across our football field and back x4
Dumbell Lunges 3x12

she was an Olympic runner for Poland she's crazy and she thinks I'm tough because I'm polish too but I'm not

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
The class is only two days a week so it's not so bad but honestly it's not the squats (I don't do a ton of weight, she wants me just doing a lot of reps - says that's better for hockey) but those loving frog jumps they are brutal.

But it seems like they add a lot of explosiveness so hey.

edit: now watch some W&W dude come in here and say my program is illogical and for pussies

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Mar 21, 2011

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I found a picture of me making a breakaway save when I was 15 so I'm gonna post it:

guess what goalie I watched a lot growing up?

unnecessary hint: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRLIEDXBL2c

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Mar 29, 2011

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
You look about a period away from a Khabibulin eye twitch

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I know a lot of guys who insist they can't play without a huge amount of stretching but it could just be mental. I barely stretch at all - it would seem to me that what helps me the most is just a lot of stretching/working out throughout the week leading up to a game.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I know what you mean by "token" on-ice stretches. I used to do those in high school but it got to a point that I was like "why the gently caress am I doing this?, doing a bunch of crease movement exercises is so much better." I dunno, I think it's mostly just mental/routine once you hit the ice. Whatever gets you ready.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
My Vaughn C/A got run over by a truck and suffered no damages.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I like the paddle down on really close in shots where you can push the paddle out as a sort of pseudo-pokecheck (Brodeur does this a lot), and still maintain five-hole coverage. It's also sometimes nice on screens where you're pretty sure the shot is going glove (it's really easy to explode up glove side when you're in paddle down), or on breakaways when you want to give glove then take it away (what's this, a goalie doing something other than mindlessly playing percentages, I'll be damned).

Brodeur is nasty at shootouts and he pretty much just plays paddle down and then explodes up with his glove every time. It's kinda funny to watch shooters repeatedly think they can beat him there only to get robbed.

edit: oh you're talking about the paddle down in the bfly? Yeah that seems pretty useless. I would only use it from the half/bfly hybrid kick save thing that Brodeur does where one leg is off the ice.

Also paddle down rules on shots where the shooter is relatively close in and has his back to you. It's really hard for someone to get the puck up as they're spinning around unless they have time to put a ton of weight on their back foot.

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Apr 6, 2011

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

crusader donkey posted:

These are both where I use it mostly, along with wrap-arounds. Hybrid goalies represent :hfive:

I might have to try that breakaway thing next time I'm at drop in, I'm not good enough of an ice skater yet to really stand much of a chance when the better players deke, so if they were going to score anyway I might as well give myself a chance to look amazing :v:

The Brodeur method on breakaways also works because he's 6'1. I don't think I could use it the way he uses it because he's got three inches on me.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

crusader donkey posted:

goddamn, we are the exact same person :tinfoil:

Do you over-rely on foot/recovery speed and challenge like an OJ Simpson defense lawyer, too?

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I remember getting hit in the knees and inner arm so loving much growing up. loving Coopers were brutal.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
So when the puck is in the air and you lose it do you guys like to go paddle down, bfly...maybe even stay up? Me? I go for the body check.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPqT5OJaoDQ

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I mean I consider myself a pretty aggressive goalie but Thomas just blows me away sometimes. What a guy.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
can we rename this thread to something about Tim Thomas PLEASE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
My school just got approved and will be playing their first season in the ACHA next year wooo. Shooting for a 20-30 game schedule and I'm pretty sure I'll be the only goalie unless a freshman comes in so it should be nice and exhausting since I haven't played a full season competitively since high school/junior.

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Jun 10, 2011

• Locked thread