Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

RC and Moon Pie posted:

My taste in music is already bad and I wanted to make it even cheesier.

I think you covered all the bases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I cannot provide any actually useful information, but I do love the version of I Got You Babe Cher did with Beavis and Butt-Head on the songs-from-and-inspired-by soundtrack album for Beavis and Butt-Head Do America.

EDIT: and so I went down the rabbithole (he-he-he-he you said "hole") and I was wrong. It's not the soundtrack for the movie, it's the album Beavis and Butt-Head made and the single with Cher has its own cover image

ExecuDork fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Aug 16, 2023

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
"I Ain't Goin' Out Like That" shows up in Blue Beetle and goes supremely hard so I wanna know where to go if I wanna check out Cypress Hill's discography.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

Junpei posted:

"I Ain't Goin' Out Like That" shows up in Blue Beetle and goes supremely hard so I wanna know where to go if I wanna check out Cypress Hill's discography.

I Ain't Goin' Out Like That is on Black Sunday, their second album. I don't think it's a controversial opinion to say it's their best album. If you didn't want to start their then their self-titled debut is also pretty drat strong.

Alternatively their Live at the Fillmore album is a pretty good sample of their hits and is actually a pretty good live album, and if you have zero reference it isn't the worst idea in the world.

But seriously start with Black Sunday. Remember to "Roll it Up, Light it Up, Smoke it Up" when you do (and might as well check out the entire Friday soundtrack as an encore)

Voodoofly fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Aug 24, 2023

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

How about Siouxsie and the Banshees?

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib

ultrafilter posted:

If you're into art punk and no wave, definitely check out The Scream (1978) and Join Hands (1979), but their golden era was when John McGeoch was their guitarist from 1980 to 1982. Siouxsie called him the most creative guitarist they've ever had, and each of those albums, Kaleidoscope (1980), Juju (1981), and A Kiss in the Dreamhouse (1982), are incredible records I come back to again and again.

If you had to choose one, Juju is really the only place to start. It's iconic — a lean goth masterpiece, swirling, dark, and sinister. Like it or not, it's their finest work on all the critics' lists, and you have to hear it at least once.

By comparison, Kaleidoscope is more varied and down-to-earth. It's not their best album, but it does sound like it's the one they had the most fun making. Steve Severin says they tried to make each song sound as different as possible. It's an interesting work by a band knocked off their footing, with Siouxsie and Severin trying to keep the band going after their punk-era guitarist and drummer quite literally abandoned them.

A Kiss in the Dreamhouse is more psychedelic than Juju and adds some brighter songs in major keys. "Painted Bird" is my #1 Siouxsie and the Banshees track of all time.

Hyaena is a good successor to A Kiss in the Dreamhouse, experimenting more with orchestral instrumentation and trippy, mystical themes, with none other than Robert Smith on guitar.

I know a lot of people like Tinderbox (1986), but I think it lacks the vision and playfulness of earlier albums. A bit workmanlike, like Siouxsie and the Banshees setting out to make a Siouxsie and the Banshees album.

PS. "Israel" is a McGeoch-era single that didn't find its way onto an album — check it out if you vibe with their other work from those days.

DasNeonLicht fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Sep 25, 2023

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

ultrafilter posted:

I would jump right into Juju, and if you like that, then go back to The Scream and work forward from there. Twice Upon A Time is the best singles compilation.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Thirding Juju as the starting point.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
More like where do I go next as opposed to where do I start but where should I go for Rise Against if I already have Appeal to Reason?

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
You move on to Born Against, a vastly superior band that never touched corporate money. Sam McPheeters is a really good journalist (check out his piece on Doc Corbin Dart: https://www.vice.com/en/article/gqdgxj/the-troublemakers-515-v16n1) and his later band Wrangler Brutes released one classic album in 2004.

Seksiness
Aug 24, 2006
I screwed your grandma and all I got was this lousy custom title... and herpes

Epi Lepi posted:

More like where do I go next as opposed to where do I start but where should I go for Rise Against if I already have Appeal to Reason?

If you wanted to stick with Rise Against, definitely go backwards from there. Sufferer and the Witness and RPM are in my opinion their best albums and I wasn't a fan of Appeal to Reason or anything later.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
I am checking out a Bruce Hornsby concert in a few weeks and I would like a primer, maybe a crash course, if possible. Obviously I know Mandolin Rain and The Way It Is.

Help a goon out! Lots of books - horror, nonfiction, classics and more for sale.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

escape artist posted:

I am checking out a Bruce Hornsby concert in a few weeks and I would like a primer, maybe a crash course, if possible. Obviously I know Mandolin Rain and The Way It Is.

According to setlist.fm, it’s the 25th anniversary of Spirit Trail tour, so listen to spirit trail. It’s ok.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I recently realised that Miley Cyrus is a very good singer. I really like her most recent work, but is there a better place to start?

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

ROYAL RAINBOW!

Got a recommendation from the rec thread so:

Where do I start with Dylan? I haven't liked most of his big songs that I've heard, but with over 600 of them I'm sure there must be something in there. Coming from Warren Zevon towards his stuff, looking for a feel like the album Excitable Boy and Splendid Isolation, Something Bad Happened to a Clown, Play It All Night Long, etc.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Strange Cares posted:

Where do I start with Dylan? I haven't liked most of his big songs that I've heard, but with over 600 of them I'm sure there must be something in there. Coming from Warren Zevon towards his stuff, looking for a feel like the album Excitable Boy and Splendid Isolation, Something Bad Happened to a Clown, Play It All Night Long, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xaw-kODsFDE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1h9xCEVKwtg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vF6Rp2RgkAo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-oOCo1Y1bw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JOIE-hE1pk

Somewhere in there

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Strange Cares posted:

I would go with Blonde on Blonde. It has some of his funniest work, and you got songs like “Sooner or Later” which is the mix of bizarre humor and poignancy that Zevon could have.

For a bonus, start with the mono mix which actually edited out a lot of mistakes that were left in the stereo mix.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Strange Cares posted:

Highway 61 Revisited is where I started, but Blonde on Blonde is definitely great too. You could go chronologically through them, or grab a "greatest hits" and then whichever songs you like best, find the proper album they're on and explore from there.

BigFactory posted:

According to setlist.fm, it’s the 25th anniversary of Spirit Trail tour, so listen to spirit trail. It’s ok.

Yeah, the ticket (which was a gift to me) comes with a new 3 LP version of that album, with new songs. I want to hear more of his live stuff though, so I got a nugs.net account. I've heard he doesn't like playing his hits, and the reason he's stayed relevant for so long is because his music is constantly changing and adapting. So I want a little taste of his *checks notes* 23 solo albums.

Help a goon out! Lots of books - horror, nonfiction, classics and more for sale.

escape artist fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Nov 2, 2023

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

escape artist posted:

Yeah, the ticket (which was a gift to me) comes with a new 3 LP version of that album, with new songs. I want to hear more of his live stuff though, so I got a nugs.net account. I've heard he doesn't like playing his hits, and the reason he's stayed relevant for so long is because his music is constantly changing and adapting. So I want a little taste of his *checks notes* 23 solo albums.

He only really has 2 hits, and he seems to play The Way it Is often enough. I think you’re an official Hornsbro now, though.

escape artist posted:

Highway 61 Revisited is where I started, but Blonde on Blonde is definitely great too. You could go chronologically through them, or grab a "greatest hits" and then whichever songs you like best, find the proper album they're on and explore from there.

And this, but start with the most recent record and go backwards. Shot of Love makes much more sense coming after Empire Burlesque and Real Live and Infidels than it does the other way around. Or just listen to the songs I posted and move sideways from there.

BigFactory fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Nov 2, 2023

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Strange Cares posted:

Since bob dylan is more of a live artist than a studio guy, you might like these:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OQurOg66rPI

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=N6mAGuEjePg

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8SM36cdhBUE

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yb7EsAV_cVs

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

ROYAL RAINBOW!

Haha, awesome!

Schiavona
Oct 8, 2008

ExecuDork posted:

I recently realised that Miley Cyrus is a very good singer. I really like her most recent work, but is there a better place to start?

I’m very far from a consistent Miley listener, but going back to 2013s Bangerz is probably a good place to start? Miley is one of those artists that grew out of kid pop by leaning real hard in the opposite direction, so really early stuff is very tween-focused.

Take a look at the backyard sessions on YouTube too, I’m guessing you can find a lot of live stuff like that she did that’ll be up your alley.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
/\/\/\ Awesome, thank you! I'll give Bangerz a listen and go from there.

I'm much more interested in Miley's adult stuff than the pre-transformation work she did as an ultimately-successful child star. Leaving aside how impressive it is for a child star to successfully transition to an adult performer, I'm just happy to sit and listen to her (grown-up) voice. Miley's singing talents were pointed out in a book I read recently, in a list of notable female singers with strong chest voices and excellent vocal control.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I feel like the issue with Miley being underrated is that she was broadly in the same time-frame as Ariana Grande who couldn't have had "Inheritor of Mariah Carey's Throne" stamped any harder on her forehead, and when people think of 'really good singers', stuff in that category usually gets more attention.

Plus, unlike the previous Mariah Carey Inheritor apparent, Christina Aguilera, Ariana has the ability to make hitting those high notes sound effortless and even fun. Aguilera's talented and has vocal chops obviously but she always sounds like hitting those notes takes serious effort, like it's a chore or like weightlifting, which can work for emotional ballads but can't work on something in the Emotions or Dreamlover vein.

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

ROYAL RAINBOW!

Where do I start with Casiopea? They have a HUGE discography and it seems really varied, which is great, but intimidating to find an entry point.

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

Strange Cares posted:

Where do I start with Casiopea? They have a HUGE discography and it seems really varied, which is great, but intimidating to find an entry point.

Chronological up to Mint Jams would get you to hear like, 90% of the good stuff and you get to hear the development of the songs and performances that get perfected on Mint Jams. There is a smattering of good stuff after that but it's severely diminishing returns the further you go on.

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

ROYAL RAINBOW!

screaden posted:

Chronological up to Mint Jams would get you to hear like, 90% of the good stuff and you get to hear the development of the songs and performances that get perfected on Mint Jams. There is a smattering of good stuff after that but it's severely diminishing returns the further you go on.

Awesome, thanks! Also, love it when you get the rare "you can just go in chronological order" band.

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

ROYAL RAINBOW!

Where do I start with Garage Rock? Both the original 60s stuff and the 2000s revival?

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

For the 50s-60s garage find all the volumes of Nuggets compilation. Find the versions with the longest tracklists, CD versions probably.

Nuggets is what basically brought garage rock to the wider audience. Pebbles compilations are pretty much sequels: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pebbles_(series)

For 90s-00s revival, it's a bit more complicated. For weird punk, check out Killed by Death compilation series: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Killed_by_Death_(albums). These are all bootlegs so sound quality may vary but the ones curated by Johan Kugelberg are the best.

I'd say the most important r'n'r-based garage rock bands of the 90s were Cheater Slicks, The Gories, The Oblivians (and all the Oblivians-adjacent bands with The Reigning Sound being the best) and The Spaceshits (and all the Mark Sultan/King Khan bands).

From 00s: Jay Reatard and all of his bands, Ty Segall, Eddy Current Suppresion Ring, The Hunches, The Ohsees (AKA The Osees, The OCS, etc.), Lamps, Black Time, Hank Wood & The Hammerheads. 90% of In The Red Records catalogue is just brilliant, that label set the tone for the whole genre in 00s and 10s.

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

ROYAL RAINBOW!

Terminally Bored posted:

For the 50s-60s garage find all the volumes of Nuggets compilation. Find the versions with the longest tracklists, CD versions probably.

Nuggets is what basically brought garage rock to the wider audience. Pebbles compilations are pretty much sequels: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pebbles_(series)

For 90s-00s revival, it's a bit more complicated. For weird punk, check out Killed by Death compilation series: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Killed_by_Death_(albums). These are all bootlegs so sound quality may vary but the ones curated by Johan Kugelberg are the best.

I'd say the most important r'n'r-based garage rock bands of the 90s were Cheater Slicks, The Gories, The Oblivians (and all the Oblivians-adjacent bands with The Reigning Sound being the best) and The Spaceshits (and all the Mark Sultan/King Khan bands).

From 00s: Jay Reatard and all of his bands, Ty Segall, Eddy Current Suppresion Ring, The Hunches, The Ohsees (AKA The Osees, The OCS, etc.), Lamps, Black Time, Hank Wood & The Hammerheads. 90% of In The Red Records catalogue is just brilliant, that label set the tone for the whole genre in 00s and 10s.

drat, thanks for the incredibly comprehensive response! Excited to check all these out.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

JPEGmafia and modern experimental/abstract hip hop in general? I just discovered billy woods, Brian Ennals and Danny Brown and want more a RIYL on these names

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Aesop Rock is pretty good. If you're not familiar, go through his catalog chronologically to hear how his sound changed. I mentally divide him into pre- and post-Skelethon. Post-Skelethon (included) is very polished and well produced, more introspective, and full of funny and interesting stories. Pre-Skelethon is maybe more lyrically dense, obscure, pretentious, bombastic, etc. but also great. His side project Hail Mary Mallon with Rob Sonic is good.

MF DOOM - He didn't make a ton of albums, but they're all good. Madvillain is kind of a monumental abstract hip hop album. Madlib did all (?) the beats. If you liked Adult Swim in the early to mid 2000s, Danger Doom, which he did with Danger Mouse is great. Other notable non-solo albums are Czarface meets MF DOOM and JJ DOOM. Spotify and Youtube both have a handful of giant playlists of his guest spots. If DOOM flips your switch, dig back into KMD, which was before he became DOOM and was a teenager.

Madlib has some good stuff to check out, especially Quasimoto. He got his start back in the 90s in Lootpack, who had only one album that I know of called Soundpieces: Da Antidote.

Tobe Nwigwe may or may not qualify as experimental, but he does stuff I've never heard before and is funny as hell.

Other names worth checking out: Murs, Homeboy Sandman, Atmosphere, Rob Sonic, Brother Ali

Other artists that kind of share the same backpacker connection but aren't really experimental in my mind: Black Star (Talib Kweli and Mos Def/Yasiin Bey), Pyinfamous, Asheru (dude who did the Boondocks theme song), Blackalicious

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Dec 13, 2023

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Terminally Bored posted:

JPEGmafia and modern experimental/abstract hip hop in general? I just discovered billy woods, Brian Ennals and Danny Brown and want more a RIYL on these names

I'm more of a "beats" than "rhymes" person so here are a few more ideas, possibly more focused on the sounds than the lyrical style/content and possibly more recent than the post above me (not a knock, those are all good recs too):

Billy Woods and Euclid also release stuff as Armand Hammer and their albums are definitely worth checking out if you haven't already. So is Euclid's solo stuff.

Little Simz is fierce. Sometimes I might be Introvert is a drat masterpiece top to bottom. She doesn't really sound like anyone in my ears, but definitely fits the bill.

A lot of the Freddy Gibbs albums of the last few years might fit here. Pinata and Bandana are with Madlib and both are great, but for me Alfredo with The Alchemist is my favorite.

Ka is also in a somewhat similar space, although a little more literary in his approach. Descendants of Cain and the Samurai album (can't remember the name) are my favorites.

Earl Sweatshirt is definitely making his own experimental and idiosyncratic stuff lately. It's not really my thing, but I've heard a lot of good praise for his most recent album.

Vince Staples doesn't get the credit I think he deserves for being experimental, especially on the sonic side. Summertime 06 is an amazing album if a little more standard in sound and tone, but for my money Big Fish Theory is one of the best and most unique sounding albums of its time, and few people understand how to rhyme over more electronic and house/techno style beats better than he does.

Clipping isn't necessarily my favorite, but they are definitely unique in their approach, basically eschewing any sort of normal percussion in their songs.

You probably also have to mention Death Grips, especially in their influence on early Jpeg etc.

Also, if you really want different sounding hip hop, the UK grime scene might also be fore you. I am pretty much a novice but you can't go wrong with any of the Boy Better Know crew (Skepta, JME, Jammer, Frisco, uh, someone else too I think). Skepta's Konnichiwa is a perfect starting point, and Skepta and Jammer have been releasing some fun, very club oriented instrumental singles over the last year. JME is probably my favorite of the crew so just pulling a playlist of his songs isn't a bad idea either. I'll let someone with more knowledge go more into Grime if that is your thing. I thought about referencing Little Simz here but I'm not even sure she fits in with grime or is just her own thing.

Finally, I'm hit and miss with Boldy James but Manager on McNichols is just a total sonic masterwork. Sterling Toles basically spent 10 years creating the sound for that album and every time I listen to it I hear more and more that blows me away. It's insane, and I'm sure neither of them have the time or power to make anything like it again.

Edit: on the off chance its relevant I should also at least mention Tyler. I've been a fan since Bastard so I'm biased but Flowerboy is one of the most beautiful sounding albums of the last 10 years, Igor is probably not a rap album but still sounds amazing and ugly and perfect. They are both albums that fall into the "I don't listen to rap that much but I'm also a doctorate in music theory and holy poo poo!" critical acclaim sort of realm. If you like them you can go back to his older stuff (which has a lot of good) or at least throw on Call Me if you Get Lost and just smile at the heartbreak mixed with bravado that also sounds really drat good an unique.

Voodoofly fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Dec 13, 2023

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
As Aesop Rock has already been covered beautifully;

El-P's I'll Sleep When You're Dead and Cancer 4 Cure albums.
He also produced the Cannibal Ox record which is pretty decent, as is Funcrusher Plus by Company Flow which he was part of.

Outside of that, Dan the Automator related albums (probs best known in the mainstream for collaboration with Gorillaz);

-Handsome Boy Modelling School "So how's your girl"
-Deltron 3030 "Deltron 3030"
-Lovage "Music to make love to your old lady by" (Mike Patton/Jennifer Charles on vocals)

And finally

Dr Octagon "droctagonecologyst" is a must hear, Kool Keith at the top of whatever weird game it is he plays

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Came back to mention Earl Sweatshirt. Same as Voodoofly, he's not my thing so much but when I do check him out I'm always left with the impression of someone doing cool stuff.

Definitely Deltron 3030. And Hieroglyphics, because Del The Funkee Homosapien is cool.

A new younger guy doing fun stuff is AFRO. Killer voice, excellent flow.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Thank you all so much for all the recommendations. I'm now watching this amazing thing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuw0DGI1sA8

Also listened to the first two tracks of Manager on McNichols on bandcamp and that poo poo is completely insane. Thanks again

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

If you like that, watch every Tobe Nwigwe video. They're all amazing.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.
\
A lot of great stuff listed here, but posting to say

NonzeroCircle posted:

-Deltron 3030 "Deltron 3030"
is one of the greatest albums of all time. Not rap album or experimental album, but album.

The samples/production are unbelievable and Del somehow makes rapping about a future with Gundams having rap battles work.

Schiavona
Oct 8, 2008

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

MF DOOM - He didn't make a ton of albums, but they're all good. Madvillain is kind of a monumental abstract hip hop album. Madlib did all (?) the beats. If you liked Adult Swim in the early to mid 2000s, Danger Doom, which he did with Danger Mouse is great. Other notable non-solo albums are Czarface meets MF DOOM and JJ DOOM. Spotify and Youtube both have a handful of giant playlists of his guest spots. If DOOM flips your switch, dig back into KMD, which was before he became DOOM and was a teenager.

Just going to add that Doom had another album under yet another alias (King Geedorah) called Take Me To Your Leader that will be up your alley if you end up liking Doom, OP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Schiavona posted:

Just going to add that Doom had another album under yet another alias (King Geedorah) called Take Me To Your Leader that will be up your alley if you end up liking Doom, OP.

Ooh yeah, don't forget King Geedorah or the Viktor Vaughan album Vaudeville Villain.