Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

In addition to the albums already listed for Charles Mingus, check out Money Jungle which has Duke Ellington on piano and Max Roach on drums.

For Thelonious Monk, some of the big ones that haven't been mentioned yet are Genius of Modern Music Vol. 1 and 2, Brilliant Corners, and Monk's Dream.

owl_pellet fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Mar 29, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Long shot, but I got asked to go see Rickie Lee Jones with someone. I have not even a slight knowledge of her work.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

hatelull posted:

Long shot, but I got asked to go see Rickie Lee Jones with someone. I have not even a slight knowledge of her work.

Listen to the self titled. And probably whatever her latest is? But the self titled is the famous one.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Okay my alt rock station playing "Wild Child" and "Beautiful People Stay High" has officially made me curious about The Black Keys

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Junpei posted:

Okay my alt rock station playing "Wild Child" and "Beautiful People Stay High" has officially made me curious about The Black Keys

Thickfreakness and Chulahoma are my favorites but it's their stripped down blues stuff.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Junpei posted:

For their original run as a raw two-piece blues rock act, Rubber Factory. For their more full-band sound, Brothers.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
I'm an American who never really got into Oasis despite being in the age for it. Is there a really good full concert (~45 minutes or more) available on YouTube I could check out? Good in terms of sound quality and band performance.

Seksiness
Aug 24, 2006
I screwed your grandma and all I got was this lousy custom title... and herpes

Human Tornada posted:

I'm an American who never really got into Oasis despite being in the age for it. Is there a really good full concert (~45 minutes or more) available on YouTube I could check out? Good in terms of sound quality and band performance.

The most famous would probably be the concert they did at Knebworth House in 1996.

Day 1
https://youtu.be/yMZQP-axmVc?si=GU-xm-kL_hqrIpDW

Day 2 https://youtu.be/SDLOdzgjYvI?si=aZHMJaBSiAB01ARW

Not sure about YT sound quality though they did release an album of the concert too if that helps.

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

Related to the Peter Gabriel thread that showed up a couple days ago, I've been feeling the urge to get into Gabriel-era Genesis lately; only exposure I've had was giving Lamb Lies Down on Broadway a listen or two way back in college. Not opposed to listening to Collins-era Genesis either, but my prog sensibilities have me erring towards the early years.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

NuclearPotato posted:

Related to the Peter Gabriel thread that showed up a couple days ago, I've been feeling the urge to get into Gabriel-era Genesis lately; only exposure I've had was giving Lamb Lies Down on Broadway a listen or two way back in college. Not opposed to listening to Collins-era Genesis either, but my prog sensibilities have me erring towards the early years.

Selling England by the Pound is my favorite all-around one. A Trick of the Tail is Collins era but still doing the Gabriel sound fyi.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

NuclearPotato posted:

Check out Genesis Live. The original 5 tracks are amazing and far better than their respective album versions. Make sure you get the remastered version, as it greatly improves the sound and mix compared to the original release, and includes some bonus tracks from the Lamb tour.

Keep in mind, all the Phil albums still have plenty of great prog shenanigans in there, particularly the 70s stuff, it’s just they get overshadowed in the 80s by the pop singles. To quote myself the last time someone asked about Genesis:

fartknocker posted:

If you like Invisible Touch, start with the three albums that precede it, which are Duke, Abacab, and the self titled Genesis. Not to go fully Patrick Bateman, but Duke is the point where they're getting more into the synthy-pop sound they'll use through the 80s, but all the albums have a ton of great/more proggy stuff still on them. Duke has the whole Duke suite and Misunderstanding, Abacab has the title track, Keep it Dark, Dodo/Lurker, and all of side 1 of Genesis. After Invisible Touch is We Can't Dance, which I think gets a bit too ballad-y or adult contemporary at points, but does still have some really good stuff (No Son of Mine and Jesus He Know Me being personal favorites).

If you want to go back to the Peter Gabriel-era, which you should because it's great and defined by a string of influential progressive rock classics, focus on Nursery Cryme, Foxtrot, Selling England by the Pound, and The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway, which are also the albums with Phil Collins and Steve Hackett. All of them have at least a couple of great songs, like The Musical Box and Return of the Giant Hogweed from Nursery Cryme, Watcher of the Skies, Get 'Em Out by Friday, and the 23-minute epic Supper's Ready on Foxtrot, Dancing with the Moonlit Knight, I Know What I Like (In Your Wardrobe), and Firth of Fifth from Selling England. The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway is a concept double album, and while the highs of it are extremely good (The title track and most of side 1, The Carpet Crawlers, a lot of side 4), it does drag at some points. Still, all are really good albums. I also highly, highly recommend Genesis Live, which I think the five tracks on the original version are all vastly superior to their original album versions.

After Lamb is when Phil becomes lead singer, and they slowly shift over time. I like all three albums they did with Phil in the 70s (A Trick of the Tail, Wind & Wuthering, and ...And Then There Were Three...), which are all mostly good with some great songs (Squonk and Los Endors from Trick, One for the Vine and the various instrumentals on Wind, Deep in the Motherlode, The Lady Lies, and Follow You, Follow Me from Three) but also each has like one... I won't say dud, but one song I'm just not crazy about. This era also has Seconds Out, which is another very good live album.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
Wind & Wuthering benefits from swapping out the dreadful yacht wannabe "Your Own Special Way" for the very Yes-inspired "Inside & Out".

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Nightmare Cinema posted:

Wind & Wuthering benefits from swapping out the dreadful yacht wannabe "Your Own Special Way" for the very Yes-inspired "Inside & Out".

Similar to adding Do the Neurotic to Invisible Touch.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

fartknocker posted:

what would you swap it for?

my pick is anything she does, as much as i like a fast, fun horn chart

and yeah, that's with full knowledge that I'm preserving both of the ballads on the record. I'm a sucker for a love song and for tony's synth tone on in too deep

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

hexwren posted:

what would you swap it for?

my pick is anything she does, as much as i like a fast, fun horn chart

and yeah, that's with full knowledge that I'm preserving both of the ballads on the record. I'm a sucker for a love song and for tony's synth tone on in too deep

I’d swap out In Too Deep, I think I skip that more than anything else on that album, Patrick Bateman quotes aside. You’d have both sides ending with an instrumental and I think it’d work well after Land of Confusion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

fartknocker posted:

I just make Invisible Touch CD-length and have this tracklist:

1. Do The Neurotic
2. Invisible Touch
3. Tonight, Tonight, Tonight
4. Land Of Confusion
5. In Too Deep
6. I'd Rather Be You
7. Domino
8. Feeding The Fire
9. Throwing It All Away
10. The Brazilian

Similarly to We Can't Dance, except I do some re-arranging / swapping out spa music:

1. No Son Of Mine
2. Jesus He Knows Me
3. Driving The Last Spike
4. I Can't Dance
5. Hearts On Fire
6. Dreaming While You Sleep
7. Tell Me Why
8. On The Shoreline
9. Way Of The World
10. Living Forever
11. Hold On My Heart
12. Fading Lights

Though I'll admit I made myself a remaster of this to sound more like Invisible Touch and less like a CVS PA system.