Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

REBIRTH OF HARDCORE PRIDE!
Jason Molina's stuff. I love Songs: Ohia - The Lioness but between all the work he did with/as Songs: Ohia, Pyramid Electric Co, and Magnolia Electric Co, I have no idea where to go next.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Meat
Feb 8, 2008

I will eat your children.

Dr. Platypus posted:

Gogol Bordello. I've listened to some of their songs on their Myspace and Youtube, but am looking to go a bit deeper. I'm only looking to pick up one or two albums at this point.

I think "Gypsy Punks: Underdog World Strike" is a winner (at least the best place to start). I haven't heard too much of their older stuff though.

Willie The Disk posted:

Um, have you heard of Psychobilly? Look into the Reverend Horton Heat. He's probably the artist closest to rockabilly who's labeled psychobilly. Fast, hard, and talented like no other. Then after that, psychobilly's stuff like Mad Sin and Demented Are Go. Not my cup of tea, but some people love it.

I think The Monsters are insanely good, and not just dirty, they're trashy. Sounds more like punk, but it's still based mainly in rockabilly goodness. I highly recommend them. They have some mp3s on their site.

Heard of psychobilly and heard the name Reverend Horton Heat in some context (I had forgotten that name though, thanks for reminding me). The only psychobilly I've heard is Nekromantix a few years ago, which was not my cup of tea. But still, keep 'em coming if you got them (recommendations, that is).

I'll check out The monsters as well. :)

Nickolai
Jan 2, 2006
WEARS A WIG
How about the Roots?

JoeRules
Jul 11, 2001

moosey posted:

NAS
Love Illmatic like most do, wasn't thoroughly impressed by Hip Hop Is Dead. Where to next?

Lil Wayne?
Tha Carter 2 was cool, where do I go with all these mixtapes and poo poo?

As far as Lil Wayne mixtapes, it's all about Da Drought 3. It's hard to get into everything Weezy does, because there's a ton of mixtapes out there, but I can all but guarantee that this 2-disc, free download won't disappoint.

And Nas, well, I haven't enjoyed anything since Illmatic.

Willie The Disk
Feb 1, 2008

btw the pumpkin is gay

Devil Wears Wings posted:

Another vague genre post, I know. But, where would I start with '70s (or '70s-style) funk? I've heard a lot that I like in the genre lately, but I don't know any band or album names.

I would recommend these albums...

Funkentelechy vs. The Placebo Syndrome and Mothership Connection by Parliament
Funkadelic and Maggot Brain by Funkadelic
I only truly have a few Best Of comps of James Brown, but he's the Godfather of funk, and with good reason. Daaaaammmmnnnnn boy, that's funky.
Fresh and A Whole New Thing by Sly and the Family Stone

By the way, Funkadelic's not usually that funky, but I think they get overlooked a lot and they're amazing, so check them out anyway. They're some of the grooviest stuff I've ever heard, and it's basically the same band as Parliament, who are the end all of funk, I think.

Uncle Meat posted:

Heard of psychobilly and heard the name Reverend Horton Heat in some context (I had forgotten that name though, thanks for reminding me). The only psychobilly I've heard is Nekromantix a few years ago, which was not my cup of tea. But still, keep 'em coming if you got them (recommendations, that is).

A few offshoots... if you haven't listened to Little Richard, I'd recommend some. It's basically original rock n roll that really rocks. Listen to the song Lucille and tell me that ain't something special. Also, Crime is a really great band from the 80's San Fran punk scene. They always considered themselves rock n roll though, not punk. Maybe check these guys out if you dig The Monsters. Punk attitude playing good ol' rock.

Giudecca
May 14, 2006

i'm so glad i'm better than you are.

Nickolai posted:

How about the Roots?

Illadelph Halflife is their best album and definitely accessible enough for someone just getting into them.

Biscuit!
Jul 20, 2007
Sun City Girls
Seriously, where do I start.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Biscuit! posted:

Sun City Girls

The early '90s albums are pretty coherent and "musical" in their own distorted way. Torch of the Mystics and Grotto of Miracles are ace. After that maybe some of the more expansive raga stuff like Crossdressers from Beyond Rig Veda (or what the hell that was called) and the odd skronky jam band poo poo like Juggernaut. Box of Chameleons is insane if you just want to hear a glimpse of everything they've ever done, it's 3 CDs and like 150 tracks.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I really, really want to get into 60s and 70s era Funk music. I went to a funk night at a hipster hang out and man, it was great. Any recommendations are great, but I think what I'd really love are a few online streams that consist mostly of funk music and will help me explore the genre. Thanks :)

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Intel&Sebastian posted:

How about DJ Sets? Nothing too deep into any one scene, the ones I've found that I really liked so far were The Avalanches "Gimix", DJ Spinbads 80's mix and Justice's BBC Essential Mix. I also liked MY GAY HUSBAND's Yacht Rock mixtape...or makeout mixtape I can't remember exactly what it was.

I guess I enjoy the ones where it's the DJ's trying to feature really great songs while putting their own little theme or touch.

I know this is a bit late, but I STRONGLY recommend Missing Toof and the sites it lists on there if you're interested in dancey electronic mash up style mixes. Richie Panic, Kill The Noise, Clifford Lidell/CASIO and La Greve Generale have some absolutely stellar mix sets floating around, definitely check them out :)

Pulling Teeth
Jan 13, 2008
My Cadillac got that bass

bagmonkey posted:

I really, really want to get into 60s and 70s era Funk music. I went to a funk night at a hipster hang out and man, it was great. Any recommendations are great, but I think what I'd really love are a few online streams that consist mostly of funk music and will help me explore the genre. Thanks :)

https://www.soulstrut.com

The streams aren't great quality, but the selections are. Also, go read the funk thread I started - I think you'll need archives though, I can't find the thread.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Pulling Teeth posted:

https://www.soulstrut.com

The streams aren't great quality, but the selections are. Also, go read the funk thread I started - I think you'll need archives though, I can't find the thread.

I saw it after I posted :) I got that What it is compilation, I'm going to put that on my iPod tonight and start the serious listening :)

barthelme
Jan 18, 2006
rising up rising down

Biscuit! posted:

Sun City Girls

i'm stealing this from blastitude but I think it's the best beginner's guide. by far some of my favorite musicians.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TOP 10 BEST SUN CITY GIRLS ALBUMS
by Larry Dolman

My recommendations, anyway, whatever they may be worth, with #1 being the most recommended, in descending order of essentiality. Subject to change without notice.

01. Torch of the Mystics (Majora LP, 1989; Tupelo CD, 1993). It's the obvious choice, but it really is a perfect introduction, a collection of short songs so catchy that almost anyone will sit and listen to it. There's none of the gratuitous vicious improv that SCG usually includes in order to keep The 99 Percent Nation (a/k/a "The Norms") at bay, but it's still deeply loaded with layers of scorch and baffle that reveal themselves slowly and continuously over time.
02. 330,003 Crossdressers From Beyond The Rig Veda (Abduction 2CD, 1996; Locust 3LP, 2002). Not just for the music, which is all amazing, but for the sheer weight. From Pan-Asian pop to gamelan music to soundtrack music to heavy downer folk ("CCC"!) to 33 minute improvs with heavy metal violin, the most Sun City Girls variety you'll get on any one release (including Box of Chameleons).
03. Sun City Girls (Placebo LP, 1984). The self-titled debut LP from 20 years ago still sounds astonishingly up-to-the-minute.
04. Horse Cock Phepner (Placebo LP/CS, 1987). Maybe this should go higher on the list. Maybe this should just be #1. If you get a chance, listen to it. You'll see what I mean, and it's so much more than just the dirty jokes, even though the smut of "Nancy Reagan" makes it my personal favorite song ever about U.S. politics. (Lately I've been thinking of it as "Laura Bush," with the role of Mr. T played by Kobe Bryant and/or Michael Jackson, but that's probably just a phase.)
05. Kaliflower (Abduction CD/LP, 1994). Much smaller than Crossdressers, but somehow almost as varied, featuring the all-time classic introduction "X+Y=gently caress You" (put that on your K-Tel novelty rap compilation), an incredible 1990 live-in-Chicago version of "The Venerable Song," the Atlantean/Venusian Frankie Valli (Frankie Kali?) drum circle gospel tune "So The Dead Tongues Sang," coupla sweet VU-type jams, and even more.
06. Alvarius B (Abduction 2LP, 1998). Maybe this shouldn't be on here, as it's not actually a Sun City Girls album. But it's such a piece of work that the world should know. This is an album of almost forty songs written and performed solo by Alan Bishop, just his voice and acoustic guitar and lyrical imagery taking you down increasingly creepy paths of allusion, satire, filth, and paranoia.
07. Dante's Disneyland Inferno (Abduction 2CD, 1996; Locust 3LP, 2002). Like the Alvarius B album, I list it not so much for being a Sun City Girls album as I do because it's a work of art that simply cannot go unmentioned. It's almost (but not quite) literature instead of music. Every track is a different window on some sort of psychological malice or horror, the blinds raised almost entirely by the texts/readings of (SCG drummer) Charles Gocher. Set pieces, one-act plays, surrealist skits, campfire songs, evil nursery rhymes, invocations, rants, poems, dream narratives, creepy uncles, malicious neighbors, songs, and more, for 139 minutes, with the perfect cinematic musical accompaniment throughout. (Maybe this should just be #1.)
08. Bright Surroundings, Dark Beginnings (Majora LP, 1993; Majora CD, 1998). Side one is the 'definitive studio version' of "The Venerable Song." Side two is split evenly into two cuts, both heavy psychedelic red torch light jams. One of their most straight-faced albums besides Torch, and their best album of 'long cuts.' (i.e. Dawn of the Devi LP, Live From Planet Boomerang 2LP.)
09. Libyan Dream (Cloaven CS, 1993; Abduction CD, 2001). This is the album that is most like Torch of the Mystics. But then again, it's different . . . for example, Torch has no 'long cuts,' and Dream ends with a 'long cut' (15 min.) that sounds like Wah without the wah. And the Amboy Dukes cover just blazes.
10. The Dreamy Draw (Abduction CD, 2000). This emerged as a fan favorite from the not-always-quite-this-essential Carnival Folklore Resurrection series, presumably for its distinctly hushed bell-tone quietude, sustained throughout, living up to the dreamy album title (the name of a well-known dam and recreation area in Phoenix, AZ). The most thoroughly gentle SCG release, by far.

Nova Bizzare
Jun 2, 2006

...and it made me smile.
Sonic Youth.

Rat Salad
Apr 15, 2007

arms are for hugging (and killing fascists)

Nova Bizzare posted:

Sonic Youth.

Dirty, then Goo, then Daydream Nation then EVOL. In order of accessibility, I guess.

Xynobia
Mar 17, 2007

Rat Salad posted:

Dirty, then Goo, then Daydream Nation then EVOL. In order of accessibility, I guess.

Even though I prefer Dirty and Goo over Daydream Nation, conventional wisdom usually seems to be to start with Daydream and work backwards or forward from there. Forward if you want to get into the more conventional, grungy stuff of the early nineties, and backwards if you want some distortion and experimentation to start dominating the songwriting. Daydream is a great gateway album if you ask me, but like I said, I like Dirty and Goo more overall.

WhatWouldRoarkDo
May 11, 2006

This sentence is false.

mandruku posted:

I'm into thrash metal, ideally sepultura's "beneath the remains" and I've read that thrash came from metal and hardcore punk. When I look into more metal, it just all seems so drat cheesy, and not really like what I want to be listening to. So if hardcore punk is the other side.. What are some good bands to check out?

A lot of people consider Earth AD by the Misfits to be one of the pioneering segues from hardcore punk in to thrash/speed metal. It's not a great value to buy on CD (it's about 15 minutes long), but what's there is high-quality.

It's really easy to jump to Damaged by Black Flag, but (despite my avatar), I actually think that's a pretty weak album...I like Blag Flag's more angular experimental late-career work. Probably doesn't have much to do with thrash, though (although the last three songs on "My War" are very doom-metal).

Definitely check out Bad Brains self-titled album (sometimes referred to as "the ROIR Tape"). As far as actual musical sensibilities and instrumental prowess are concerned, Bad Brains were presaging thrash big-time.

Willie The Disk
Feb 1, 2008

btw the pumpkin is gay

Xynobia posted:

Even though I prefer Dirty and Goo over Daydream Nation, conventional wisdom usually seems to be to start with Daydream and work backwards or forward from there. Forward if you want to get into the more conventional, grungy stuff of the early nineties, and backwards if you want some distortion and experimentation to start dominating the songwriting. Daydream is a great gateway album if you ask me, but like I said, I like Dirty and Goo more overall.

I disagree. I started with Daydream Nation a while ago. I liked it, but I never really went after Sonic Youth after listening to Daydream Nation. I recently picked up Washing Machine, then Goo, and I think they're far superior to Daydream Nation. Maybe some people should start with Daydream, but I for one didn't latch on to Sonic Youth at all until I heard Washing Machine. Probably depends on what type of music fan you are.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
Where should go from Keep It Like a Secret with Built to Spill?

BOAT SHOWBOAT fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Mar 8, 2008

Besson
Apr 20, 2006

To the sun's savage brightness he exposed the dark and secret surface of his retinas, so that by burning the memory of vengeance might be preserved, and never perish.

monstertruckdriver posted:

I realize he's quite prolific and has a ton of bands, but what's a good starting point for Mike Patton?

Faith No More - Angel Dust is one of the best albums of all time. Pretty brilliant, being both weird as hell, but also having a ton of hooks and it rocks the gently caress out.

Mr Bungle - California would probably be the next one I'd get if you are new to it all. It pretty much tackles every genre, and invents a few of it's own.

Tomahawk - Mit Gas sits somewhere between the two albums. It's one of the very few straight up rock records Patton has done in recent years, but it's still got his unique flavour to it.

The rest is pretty much sorting through and guessing. Most of the collaborations are good if you are a fan of both Patton and the original artist. His work on Bjork's Medulla is pretty stunning.

ZackHoagie
Dec 25, 2007

now eat him.
I would love to get into both Devo and Aphex Twin

Julien Sorel
Jan 27, 2006

Voted Worst Marksman of 1830

ZackHoagie posted:

Don't know about Devo but as for Aphex Twin, it depends on what kind of sound you want. He has various styles but the biggest two would be ambient and IDM/DNB.

For ambient stuff, try out Selected Ambient Works vol 1 and 2. For the latter, go with either the Richard D. James Album and Drukhqs. Also check out I Care Because You Do.

After that it's just going through his huge catalog and finding stuff you like. He has a whole slew of alternate names like AFX, Universal Indicator, Gak, Polygon Window, and several more.

Uncle Meat
Feb 8, 2008

I will eat your children.

Dorepoll posted:

Faith No More - Angel Dust is one of the best albums of all time. Pretty brilliant, being both weird as hell, but also having a ton of hooks and it rocks the gently caress out.

Mr Bungle - California would probably be the next one I'd get if you are new to it all. It pretty much tackles every genre, and invents a few of it's own.

Tomahawk - Mit Gas sits somewhere between the two albums. It's one of the very few straight up rock records Patton has done in recent years, but it's still got his unique flavour to it.

The rest is pretty much sorting through and guessing. Most of the collaborations are good if you are a fan of both Patton and the original artist. His work on Bjork's Medulla is pretty stunning.

I'd go for Mr. Bungle's self titled rather than California (although this is because I have a better relationship with the S/T), also, check out Fantômas - Director's cut, which is in my opinion the most accessible Fantômas album. Also, when you get into it, check out the Kaada/Patton collaboration. Otherwise what Dorepoll said. :)

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

buggmoo posted:

Where should go from Keep It Like a Secret from Built to Spill?

Perfect from Now On and There's Nothing Wrong With Love should be your next destinations. After that, try their latest, You In Reverse.

Boner Calhoun
Jun 15, 2005

Silence in the studio!

ZackHoagie posted:

For Devo, their best album is unquestionably their debut Q: Are We Not Men? A: We Are Devo! They're one of those bands that peaked with their first album. Another great album to pick up is Freedom Of Choice, which unfortunately got overshadowed by Whip It but it's probably their most solid 'pop' album. If you like those, you might want to consider getting Duty Now For The Future and New Traditionalists, but anything they released after Oh No! It's Devo! is pretty much poo poo and most fans try to pretend they don't exist.

Willie The Disk
Feb 1, 2008

btw the pumpkin is gay

Boner Calhoun posted:

anything they released after Oh No! It's Devo! is pretty much poo poo and most fans try to pretend they don't exist.

Pretend what doesn't exist? Love the avatar, by the way.

Where should I start with post punk? I just got Television's Marquee Moon and I love it. I glanced at the Wikipedia article for Post Punk, and it's a bunch of bands I've heard of (Psychedelic Furs, Siouxsie and the Banshees, etc.), but it's always nice to have someone besides Wikipedia hold your hand. I already know and love Joy Division, since they were lumped in there, same with Throbbing Gristle, though how they fit there I don't really know.

Also, where should I got with No Wave? I really like early Swans and what I've heard of Sonic Youth, that being mainly Washing Machine and Goo. So... any recommendations? Thanks much.

Garth Algar
Jun 9, 2007
Did you ever see that "Twilight Zone" where the guy signed a contract and they cut out his tongue and put it in a jar and it wouldn't die, it just grew and pulsated and gave birth to baby tongues? Pretty cool, huh?
Where do i start with The Talking Heads?

moosey
Apr 23, 2006

by Fistgrrl

Garth Algar posted:

Where do i start with The Talking Heads?

read thread much?

agro_cragg
Dec 9, 2006
Time travel to the edge of the Moon!

ZackHoagie posted:

Devo Live 1980 is better than any Devo greatest hits compilation. After Are We Not Men? and Freedom of Choice, pick up Live 1980. Duty Now for the Future is another good choice. I'd say most other records are optional.

oversteps
Sep 11, 2001

I'd really love to get into the Grateful Dead something fierce, but I just don't know where to begin.

oversteps fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Mar 10, 2008

Garth Algar
Jun 9, 2007
Did you ever see that "Twilight Zone" where the guy signed a contract and they cut out his tongue and put it in a jar and it wouldn't die, it just grew and pulsated and gave birth to baby tongues? Pretty cool, huh?
Sorry, nvm.

To contribute, i asked the same question about The Grateful Dead a while back and the general response was that American Beauty and live recordings from '69 to '71 were a good start.

Willie The Disk
Feb 1, 2008

btw the pumpkin is gay
Not a big Dead fan, but Aoxomoxoa is a pretty good album. I'd definitely check that one out.

Xenu
Apr 28, 2004

mandruku posted:

I hope it's cool to put down a genre here not an artist..

I'm into thrash metal, ideally sepultura's "beneath the remains" and I've read that thrash came from metal and hardcore punk. When I look into more metal, it just all seems so drat cheesy, and not really like what I want to be listening to. So if hardcore punk is the other side.. What are some good bands to check out?

Definitely check out D.R.I., you can see them going from a simple, yet hard and fast hardcore band to a neckbreaking thrash band over the course 5 albums. If you like it, you might want to check out more crossover bands, such as Corrosion Of Conformity, Municipal Waste, (newer) Cro-Mags and Suicidal Tendencies. Definitely check out Suicidal Tendencies too.

Also, don't immediately write off all metal as cheesy...there's a lot of awesome 80's thrash metal to be found if you look beyond the big 4/5/6 of that era.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I've loved everything I've heard by him, but I need a good album to start with for John Zorn.

Also, for any of you metalheads out there, I've had the desire to pick up some Zao, but wasn't sure what to get. I was thinking of getting The Funeral of God, just because it's the one I've heard the most of and I loved everything I've heard, but I'd like to know what some of their best earlier stuff is. Also, is the new album any good? I'm tempted to get it just because Steve Albini recorded it.

Horseface
Jun 29, 2003

Please put your hands together for Homosexuals the Gorilla!
I've heard some random "chopped and screwed" remixes and just found them more boring than anything else, but I'm willing to keep an open mind. What's a good sampler of why DJ Screw was so revered?

only temporary
Sep 3, 2006

Merzbau posted:

I'd really love to get into the Grateful Dead something fierce, but I just don't know where to begin.
You're going to get a whole bunch of different answeres just because they played so many different types of music. Their styles changed so many times over the years that it's hard to make a suggestion. I'd just start with Live/Dead and then explore Archive.org, listening to shows from different years and deciding what you like the most. I prefer 1981 to most other years, but May 1977 is probably the best place for a newer listener to start with the Dead.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

I've loved everything I've heard by him, but I need a good album to start with for John Zorn.

If you like stupid hyperactive cartoon soundtrack crap, grab the Naked City s/t. If you like great insane avantgarde jazz try The Big Gundown and Electric Masada's At the Mountains of Madness.

Did That on Television
Nov 8, 2004
lemonparties with wippersnapper
As one of the only two contemporary artists on the cover of Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, I'm curious about the music of Dion. From what I gather of his allmusic biography he seems to be a mercurial and highly influential performer having first started as a doo-wop singer and then moving into bluesy songs and then into "singer-songwriter" territory (whatever that is). Any help would be greatly appreciated!

(The other guy was Bob Dylan, just in case you were wondering.)

Gaylor Moon
Apr 6, 2005

Gender? I hardly know'er
Where the gently caress do I start with Tool. Nine Inch Nails is my favorite band, if thats anything to go by.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot
AEnima, i guess.