Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Willie The Disk
Feb 1, 2008

btw the pumpkin is gay

Popcorn posted:

Can someone help me out with The Velvet Underground? I'm already somewhat familiar with them and have two of their albums (& Nico and Self-titled) but I'm confused about how a lot of their stuff was released.

For example, I really like the song Stephanie Says but I can't find it on any albums. (According to Wikipedia it was only released on some outtakes album in the 80s-- is that true? I always thought it was a single.) Are there are any compilation albums or something that would tie up the loose ends for me? Is the outtakes album worth getting is or the song available somewhere better?

Well, Stephanie Says is on the album VU, which is a collection of stuff recorded here and there, from my understanding. It's kind of like an unreleased tracks compilation, but it flows through like an album. It's more or less a studio album, only not recorded all at once. Grab it.

White Light/White Heat is one of the best rock albums of all time in my opinion, I'd highly recommend it. Their second, between VU & Nico and the self titled. It's the heaviest thing they ever did, but heavy in a Velvet Underground sense. Like I'm Waiting For The Man and Heroin combined... or something. It might take a few listens to get into, but when you're into it, you're into it.

Loaded is their 4th album, after the self titled. Meh, it's pretty good as far as music goes, but it's not the best as far as the VU go. Listen to it though, especially if you dig Stephanie Says.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bedmobile
May 22, 2007

Popcorn posted:

Can someone help me out with The Velvet Underground? I'm already somewhat familiar with them and have two of their albums (& Nico and Self-titled) but I'm confused about how a lot of their stuff was released.

For example, I really like the song Stephanie Says but I can't find it on any albums. (According to Wikipedia it was only released on some outtakes album in the 80s-- is that true? I always thought it was a single.) Are there are any compilation albums or something that would tie up the loose ends for me? Is the outtakes album worth getting is or the song available somewhere better?

Stephanie Says can also be found on the Peel Slowly and See box Set along a ton of outtakes, but since you've already got two of their four albums it probably wouldn't be worth your money to get it. Really, just pick up White Light/White Heat and you should be good.

As for Loaded, it's good but it pales in comparison to the VU's other stuff, but if you still want more from them it's worth a look.

let's dance
Oct 29, 2004
What about Boris?

fomo sacer
Feb 14, 2007

Where should I start with Talk Talk?

Willie The Disk
Feb 1, 2008

btw the pumpkin is gay

let's dance posted:

What about Boris?

Yes. Boris is amazing.

The first three albums I got were Pink, Flood, and Vein, and I think they really show the range of Boris. I'd go Pink first, as it's the most conventional. For the most part it's just really good rock stuff. Flood is more psychedelic, it's like one long track that just builds and falls and is amazing throughout. I love it. Vein is one of the most hardcore things I've ever heard, but it's great.

But I think that's a pretty healthy start.

Forgone Conclusion
Aug 13, 2007
Where do I start with Tom Waits?

Willie The Disk
Feb 1, 2008

btw the pumpkin is gay

Forgone Conclusion posted:

Where do I start with Tom Waits?

Rain Dogs (1985)
Small Change (1976)
Mule Variations (1999)

In that order. IMO.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Willie The Disk posted:

Rain Dogs (1985)
Small Change (1976)
Mule Variations (1999)

In that order. IMO.

Rain Dogs, yes. Small Change, not necessarily.

Basically you can't go wrong with Rain Dogs, Swordfishtrombones, and Frank's Wild Years - but if you don't like the style of any of those records, you might try Small Change.

Willie The Disk
Feb 1, 2008

btw the pumpkin is gay

cryme posted:

Rain Dogs, yes. Small Change, not necessarily.

Basically you can't go wrong with Rain Dogs, Swordfishtrombones, and Frank's Wild Years - but if you don't like the style of any of those records, you might try Small Change.

Personally, I think it's better to get a good idea of an artist's range if you're starting out. If you're looking to start listening to an artist, to me it makes more sense to sample different styles than to get 3 albums that have more or less the same style and vibe. I love the Island Years albums, but they're much too similar for being representative of Tom Waits, in all that he is. I don't think anything off those albums would hint towards songs like The One That Got Away... though I guess most of Mule Variations is just more of the Island Years.

let's dance
Oct 29, 2004

Willie The Disk posted:

But I think that's a pretty healthy start.
Thank you!

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!
Thanks Willie and bedmobile!

Does anyone know where I should start with Sonic Youth? There's an old Radiohead b-side called Permanent Daylight that I absolutely adore and it's said to be 'a tribute to Sonic Youth'. If there's more like Permanent Daylight then I'm very interested. (Here's the Radiohead track for comparison: http://youtube.com/watch?v=t6rqUhEyzGM)

Even if the Sonic Youth connection is exaggerated, I'd still like to know where to start with this iconic band.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Popcorn posted:

Does anyone know where I should start with Sonic Youth? There's an old Radiohead b-side called Permanent Daylight that I absolutely adore and it's said to be 'a tribute to Sonic Youth'. If there's more like Permanent Daylight then I'm very interested. (Here's the Radiohead track for comparison: http://youtube.com/watch?v=t6rqUhEyzGM)

Even if the Sonic Youth connection is exaggerated, I'd still like to know where to start with this iconic band.

Most of the good Sonic Youth albums sound a lot like that. I'd start with Sister, Daydream Nation, Murray Street and Goo.

HP Hovercraft
Jan 1, 2006

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse

Popcorn posted:

The Radiohead song Jigsaw Falling Into Place is also kind of a Sonic Youth ripoff.

To kinda narrow down what HAL said, start with Daydream Nation, their undisputed classic, then check out Goo. Those two albums sound most what like you're looking for.

19charactersorless.
Apr 26, 2006

If these guys do their job I might have my eyes back in as soon as Monday.

Static Equilibrium posted:

Spirit of Eden then Laughing Stock, then Colour of Spring (the others aren't so good, however Mark Hollis' solo album is excellent).

Uncle Meat
Feb 8, 2008

I will eat your children.

let's dance posted:

What about Boris?

Rock Dream blew me away on first listen. But it's a live collaboration with Merzbow and not a good starting point. Just kinda "swing by" it later on.

Forgone Conclusion posted:

Tom Waits

I'd say the first records on Island (Swordishtrombones, Rain Dogs and Frankie's Wild Years) are some of his best work. But if you want variation to go with that, I'd say Rain Dogs, Blue Valentine (or Small Change) and Mule.

Sun RaHoWa
Aug 2, 2004

SAY WHAT YOU MEAN
:twisted: AND SAY IT MEAN :twisted:
How about Genesis? I'm a big fan of Peter Gabriel's solo stuff. Here's my Last.fm for reference: http://www.last.fm/user/TheHumanLobster/

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:

The Human Lobster posted:

How about Genesis? I'm a big fan of Peter Gabriel's solo stuff. Here's my Last.fm for reference: http://www.last.fm/user/TheHumanLobster/

Gabriel solo doesn't really sound like Genesis, but they're a fantastic band either way. For me, I don't think I could have gotten into them unless my first album by them was Selling England by the Pound. It's one of the best progressive rock albums ever and I think it's Genesis's best work. After that you've got Foxtrot and the Lamb Lies Down on Broadway, both a little more tougher to get into (Foxtrot contains a sidelong track, which rules, and the Lamb is a double album) but also well worth it.

Did That on Television
Nov 8, 2004
lemonparties with wippersnapper

Did That on Television posted:

As one of the only two contemporary artists on the cover of Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, I'm curious about the music of Dion. From what I gather of his allmusic biography he seems to be a mercurial and highly influential performer having first started as a doo-wop singer and then moving into bluesy songs and then into "singer-songwriter" territory (whatever that is). Any help would be greatly appreciated!

(The other guy was Bob Dylan, just in case you were wondering.)

Any ideas?

Radio du Cambodge
Dec 3, 2007

Destroyer? I enjoyed the latest release, Trouble in Dreams.

SylvainMustach
Dec 12, 2007

Superior Trash Talk!

Nova Bizzare posted:

Sonic Youth.

Sister or Daydream Nation

SylvainMustach
Dec 12, 2007

Superior Trash Talk!

let's dance posted:

What about Boris?

Pink or Flood

Static Equilibrium posted:

Definitely Laughing Stock

Uncle Meat
Feb 8, 2008

I will eat your children.

Radio du Cambodge posted:

With such bands, always go old.:p

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
a friend sent me this over youtube and i need more

i don't even know what genre of music it is, oh god

Pat Clements
Feb 10, 2008

Jinnigan posted:

a friend sent me this over youtube and i need more

i don't even know what genre of music it is, oh god
It's pretty much gypsy music. That particular song is on the Borat soundtrack, oddly enough, which is a good introduction to that sort of sound.

For a really consistently good group you can't go wrong with any of what Fanfare Ciocarlia has put out.

Pat Clements fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Apr 3, 2008

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator
Any recommendations for Run DMC? I just listened to "it's like that" and now I have to find more.

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet

Dark Onion posted:

Any recommendations for Run DMC? I just listened to "it's like that" and now I have to find more.

You can't go wrong with their first four albums, Run-DMC, King Of Rock, Raising Hell, Tougher Than Leather

Dadjacket
Jul 23, 2004

HIPSTER PITCHFORK CARDIGAN SCARF

Radio du Cambodge posted:

Production-wise, the closest thing to Trouble in Dreams is Destroyer's Rubies. It's also his most accessible, but in my opinion it is his worst post-Streethawk album.

I would definitely start with Streethawk: A Seduction and move forward from there, and then if you get ridiculously obsessed like I did, work backwards. His earlier albums are a LOT more hit-and-miss, but they're all worth picking up for one reason or another.

Willie The Disk
Feb 1, 2008

btw the pumpkin is gay

Dark Onion posted:

Start with Raising Hell. Though It's Like That is off their first, self titled album.

Doctor Claw
Dec 25, 2007
I'll get you next time Gadget - next time!
Roxy Music
Siouxsie and the Banshees
New Order
Soft Cell
REM

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Doctor Claw posted:

Siouxsie and the Banshees

Juju or A Kiss in the Dreamhouse.

Protip: The "greatest hits" albums, Once/Twice Upon a Time, don't become totally redundant if you end up buying all the LPs. Many strong tracks (Hong Kong Garden, Israel, Fireworks) were single-only releases.

Juttman
Apr 7, 2008

Saturated Fats
What should I start with with Ween?

ZackHoagie
Dec 25, 2007

now eat him.

Juttman posted:

What should I start with with Ween?

White Pepper is their most accesible, but Chocolate and Cheese is the best.

Miyamoto Musashi
Jul 22, 2006

Doctor Claw posted:

REM

As they're my favorite band, I'll do my best:

Start with Out of Time and Automatic for the People. In addition to being great albums, you'll also get many of the songs you're familiar with--Losing My Religion, Shiny Happy People, Man on the Moon, and Everybody Hurts. If you want more, move onto Murmur their very first album.

They've also got a couple "Best of" albums out, should you want to go that route. There's ...And I feel Fine", which covers their first 5 albums on the IRS label (1983-1987) and then there's In Time which has all the songs from their Warner Bros. years (1988-present). If you just want all the hits and high points, those 2 albums would definitely be worth your money. If you plan on getting individual albums, though, they'll be redundant.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
How about a good starting point for modern day blues or funk. I have been listining to Robert Randolph and am looking for something like that.

WantlessPonder
Apr 4, 2007

Kinda like a pint a Guinness.
Where should I start with:

Van der Graaf Generator
Camel
Bad Company

Raccoon Leaf
Jul 5, 2005

It's like 60 Minutes on acid.

Doctor Claw posted:

Roxy Music
New Order
Soft Cell

Roxy Music - Ohh, Roxy Music. So much change over so many years.
If you like this (frantic, theatric), get their self-titled or For Your Pleasure. (FYP is the better album)
If you like this (smoother, more refined), then get Stranded, Country Life, or Siren. (Country Life barely wins out on this one)
If you like this (dripping with sexiness), then get Avalon.

New Order - I'm not one to suggest starting with Greatest Hits. However, if you haven't already you actually might want to start with the "Best of" compilation. New Order released a lot of singles that don't appear on regular albums, and the "Best of" will give you those plus a few great album tracks. As for the actual albums, New Order has been pretty consistent over the years, so where you start pretty much depends on preference. My personal favorite is Technique, but a lot of people like Power Corruption and Lies.

Soft Cell - Once you get Non-Stop Erotic Cabaret, you're pretty much done. You can get Non-Stop Ecstatic Dancing, too, but it not quite the same, in my opinion. You might be able to find some good stuff out of Marc Almond's solo work, but I'm not that familiar with it aside from the song "Tears Run Rings" (which you should check out).

I'd love to know...
Where do I start with The Residents? Can you even get started somewhere with them??

Willie The Disk
Feb 1, 2008

btw the pumpkin is gay

Raccoon Leaf posted:

I'd love to know...
Where do I start with The Residents? Can you even get started somewhere with them??

Holy gently caress. From what I've heard, God in Three Persons, The Third Riech and Roll, and Wormwood are all pretty good and perhaps representative...? I've listened to them, and they're really interesting, though I by no means pretend to comprehend what the hell is going on. Definitely look into them though, and maybe those are a start...

Deltron 3030
Jul 23, 2006

I submit that you took that baseball, stashed it in your unusually large vagina, and walked right on out of here!
Where do I start with Animal Collective? I don't know much about them other than reading through their Wikipedia, and it's probably a departure from most of the music I currently listen to but I'm definitely interested.

Doug
Feb 27, 2006

This station is
non-operational.
I've heard the term "shoegaze" thrown around when I read about Silversun Pickups, so what would be some good albums/artists to check out in this genre?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dadjacket
Jul 23, 2004

HIPSTER PITCHFORK CARDIGAN SCARF
Well I don't think Silversun Pickups are THAT shoegazey (okay so they use a lot of guitar overdubs, but other than that...) and shoegaze has become sort of a catch-all signifier used to describe anything that has a gauzy sound or a lot of reverb. That being said, shoegaze is awesome.

The three 'defining' albums of the first wave of shoegaze in the late eighties and early nineties are
My Bloody Valentine - Loveless
Ride - Nowhere
Slowdive - Souvlaki

However, if you like the Silversun Pickups then you might like more stuff where people wed the guitar effects of shoegaze to big hooks, so you might want to check out
Kitchens of Distinction - Love Is Hell
and Lush - Split
as well as Gish by the Smashing Pumpkins if you haven't yet...