Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Miyamoto Musashi
Jul 22, 2006

Doctor Claw posted:

REM

As they're my favorite band, I'll do my best:

Start with Out of Time and Automatic for the People. In addition to being great albums, you'll also get many of the songs you're familiar with--Losing My Religion, Shiny Happy People, Man on the Moon, and Everybody Hurts. If you want more, move onto Murmur their very first album.

They've also got a couple "Best of" albums out, should you want to go that route. There's ...And I feel Fine", which covers their first 5 albums on the IRS label (1983-1987) and then there's In Time which has all the songs from their Warner Bros. years (1988-present). If you just want all the hits and high points, those 2 albums would definitely be worth your money. If you plan on getting individual albums, though, they'll be redundant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miyamoto Musashi
Jul 22, 2006

cryme posted:

Images and Words has the best "songs", and Scenes From a Memory is probably their most solid album all the way through.

The rest is hit-or-miss.

I definitely agree with this. I&W and SFAM are their best. Start there.

Miyamoto Musashi
Jul 22, 2006

ultrafilter posted:

OK Computer. Any list of the best rock albums of the 90s will feature it near the top, and with good reason.

Yep, no question this is the place to start. After that, I'd go for The Bends as that's also very accessible. From there, things tend to get a little more experimental.

Miyamoto Musashi
Jul 22, 2006

Skilleddk posted:

I'm probably going to a festival this summer where the only announced act (so far) is Pearl Jam. Where do I start?

Peral Jam's a band that's kind of shifted its style a little over the years. Ten and Vs., their first two albums, are the "grunge" records. They're both classics, and that's probably the best starting point. For the record, I actually prefer Vs., but Ten has their biggest songs ("Jeremy", "Alive", and "Even Flow").

I also really enjoy the No Code and Yield albums, which are a bit softer, more like early-90s REM.

But, really, get Ten and Vs. first, since they're the classics, then go for No Code and Yield if you want more.

Miyamoto Musashi
Jul 22, 2006

Sheriff Falc posted:

Where would people recommend I start on with Blind Melon and Alice in Chains? I've been a grunge fan for a while and it's increasingly been getting my goat that I've never really given either of these bands as much attention as they deserve.

I just want to second that you pick up Dirt and Jar of Flies. Both are great. Jar of Flies is, to this day one of my 10 favorite albums of all time. Their Unplugged album is also worth owning, but only after you have the essentials.