Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

I'd like listen to more Bonnie Prince Billy, but there's so much, and it all seems so indistinguishable until it grows on me. I like I See a Darkness and Superwolf a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Most important Hip album is Up To Here - every Canadian can sing it from memory, and probably will if they're drunk. Best album is Fully Completely, great driving music, really brooding cinematic feel. From there I'd go forward chronologically through Phantom Power, Music @ Work, and In Violet Light which all have a similar dark modern rock feel, but the singles are the most important if you don't want to get bogged down. Next I'd go back to the old classics, Day For Night, and Trouble at the Henhouse. Anything after 2004 isn't really essential, but In Between Evolution is the strongest of their late period in my opinion.

If you want to get a bit of a quick overview I'd suggest New Orleans Is Sinking, Ahead by a Century, Fully Completely, Grace Too, Poets, and The Darkest One.

COPE 27 fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Oct 21, 2020

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Where to start with outlaw country?

I like a bunch of Steve Earle songs but he's apparently released around 50 albums lol

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Henchman of Santa posted:

Willie has like over 100 albums so I'm not sure that's helping evilpicard's problem lol

Lol yeah, rough count from Willie, Waylon, Merle and Cash is somewhere around 600 albums. But I'm really enjoying some of the suggestions in the thread, thanks guys.

Johnny cash released albums in 6 decades following his greatest hits...

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Where do I start with aggrotech
Also where do I start with neofolk

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

I'm aware of the, let's say, problematic reputation, as long as it's more "the pretty little horsies are dead" and less "Hail Europa,
vigil and victory!" it doesn't bother me too much.

Thanks for the high quality posts guys, I'm gonna dig into this over the weekend.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Where do I start with grime?

I've pretty much just listened to Boy in da Corner

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

I think Can is actually pretty accessible, and Tago Mago and Ege Bamyasi are the really essential records.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Where do I start with Boris?

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

I heard a song that almost sounded like shoegaze but I don't know what album it was from

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

BigFactory posted:

Please is the first one and has the biggest hits. It’s great.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Pretty much just those 2 songs. Time to Pretend is similar but the second half of Oracukar Spectacular isn't strong.

Congratulations is good but way different, try listening to Flash Delirium and see if you like it.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Brian Jonestown Massacre?

I liked the doc but haven't really gone through the catelogue.

e: yeah.

COPE 27 fucked around with this message at 18:52 on May 26, 2021

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

You can start and finish with Real Life imo.

If you want more I guess listen to Marquee Moon.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

I've never really dug into The National's catalogue despite liking the singles... where do I start?

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

I love Attica, any recommendations on where to start digging into the Wussy/rear end Ponys catelogue next?

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Cemetry Gator posted:

Wrong Way Up with John Cale.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

quote:

Might be too broad, but Post-Rock?

Talk Talk - Laughing Stock

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

What kind of jazz is it if you liked the music in Lost Highway

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Personally I would start with tilt / drift otherwise agree

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

And Then Nothing Turned Itself Inside Out and I Can Hear the Heart Beating as One