Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Chinaski posted:

I want to check out Coil.

The only song I've heard is Teenage Lightning, which is pretty neat. Is that album (Ape of Naples) a good place to start?

If you liked Teenage Lightning, which is one of the best songs on there, I would suggest you check out Ape of Naples yeah. Like the other guy said it is sort of loose, but I think it's an amazing album.

You should also check out the albums he recommended as well; I think Love's Secret Domain is probably the best place to start out of all their albums - the song Snow is awesome. After that go for Horse Rotorvator which gives you a pretty good look at how they sounded before LSD (see what they did there), and then probably Musick to Play in the Dark 1, which gives you a glimpse at what they were like between LSD and Ape of Naples.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Uncle Meat posted:

Might as well get some noise rock recommendations, while I'm at it.

The only one I listen to is Big Black. They sort of paved the way for Industrial Rock later on down the road and they're a big noisy band that's lots of fun. Check out Songs About loving and 8 Track for the Rich.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

I might as well ask this thread as well: where do I go and what to do with the Neofolk genre? The only thing I know is Death in June and Current 93 are really big in this small genre, and I have their Symbols Shatter and All the Pretty Horses albums. I liked Symbols but not Horses too much, but I might just have to give it a better listen.

So, what albums should I get and what other bands should I look into?

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

jherrycurl posted:

Where do I start with The Residents?

Third Reich n' Roll is pretty awesome.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Fors Yard posted:

Seconding (), but I would recommend waiting until it is snowy outside, and take a walk and listen. To me, at least, the album feels like being in cold weather but wearing a warm coat.

Sigur Ros is the perfect accompaniment to walking in a snow storm, especially at night and there's not many people around.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

King Astronaut posted:

Checked the last few pages, but didn't find anything for Devin Townshend/Strapping Young Lad. I like what little bit I've heard off last.fm. Sorry I can't help with more specifics, but I am pretty open to all suggestions.

Yeah for SYL go with City like the other guy said. I started with Alien which is probably my second favourite album from them, both are excellent.

For Devin Townsend I would say start with Ocean Machine and Terria, both showcase his style really well and between them have what I think are my two favourite songs he's ever done, The Death of Music and Earth Day. After that I'd go to Infinity because it's an amazing album and it's a toss-up between it and Synchestra as my all-time favourite Townsend album. Physicist was his attempt at crossing the DT/SYL styles, Accelerated Evolution was his attempt at writing more conventional, but still Devin, songs, also with a band instead of just solo or SYL. Devlab and The Hummer are experimental ambient soundscapes. Ziltoid was a return to his solo stuff and it's also hilarious.

Also he guested on Ayreon's The Human Equation album, which is a really great album in itself, and did the vocal work for James Murphy's (guitarist from Testament and Death) solo album Convergence and he sounds awesome on it.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Van or Astrovan posted:

where should I start with Skullflower?

When I looked into them the album IIIrd Gatekeeper kept coming up so try that I guess.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Where do I start with Leonard Cohen? I really dug his tracks on the Natural Born Killers OST (The Future especially) and I've been listening to Pain of Salvation's cover of Hallelujah repeatedly and I have no idea where to start with his discography or what would appeal to me out of it if I like those.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

You need to get Heavy Rocks, and then probably Amplifier Worship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

screaden posted:

I've always been interested in checking out The Residents but their catalogue is just huge. I just want to to check out the studio albums at the moment

Definitely Commercial Album to start, but I like Third Reich n Roll more, so listen to that too.