Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

stealie72 posted:

This is some pro level <homophobic slur> right here.

Do you trust fund maoists really enjoy the scent of your own farts that much?
Forgive me if this has come up, but Spotify recently introduced me to Jacques Brel (specifically "la Chanson de Jacky"), and by extension Scott Walker. Other than letting Spotify play Jacques Brel radio, where do I go from here? Don't care if its English, French, or gibberish, just love the sound.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

stealie72 posted:

Ras Het posted:

Listen to Fabrizio de Andre
This is very much the stuff.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

stealie72 posted:

owl_pellet posted:

I've been trying to listen to more jazz lately. I've found that I like music that is focused on the piano, saxophone, and/or drums, so I've listened to things by Duke Ellington, John Coltrane, and Buddy Rich. What are the key albums by these artists? Where should I branch out to from there based on the artists I listed? I know "jazz" is a huge subject but any direction would be appreciated.

Phone posting but will try to remember later. For starters, Dave Brubeck and Charles Mingus.

Edit: and Charlie Parker and Thelonius Monk.

stealie72 fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Jun 22, 2022

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

stealie72 posted:

algebra testes posted:

I left out Giant Steps because I'm of the belief you sort of need to know the backstory and such and maybe listen to the other three because they just sounds so good first. Things like Ascension I would listen to every night before bed but again, it's the concept of a massive group improv which may sound like noise to some.
Giant Steps is just a monster, and a song that I find myself revisiting constantly.
I last took music theory in high school (30 years ago), but I think this does a great job talking about what's going on musically with it and why it's so great:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62tIvfP9A2w

Also, I mentioned Dave Brubeck, and his Time Out is a lot of people's first jazz album for good reason. In your case, it's got piano, drums, and sax (and bass).
Everyone knows Take Five, but for my money, this is the best song on the album:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmaC4WwspS4

And Pick up Sticks should take you back to a nice NY apartment in the 1950s.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ro8-NOiMBY

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

stealie72 posted:

algebra testes posted:

I've been loving Invisible Touch recently, what other Genesis should I check out? Doesn't have to be Phil Era either.

Sir Nose posted:

The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway is my fave Peter Gabriel Genesis, and I suppose Abacab is my fave from Phil-led Genesis.
Seconding Abacab as an absolute masterwork of 80s rock, but also if you've got any inclination toward prog rock, Selling England By The Pound is a classic of the genre.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

stealie72 posted:

Also, his breakthrough, Party and Bullshit, is not on either of his two main albums but is a goddamn banger and may be his best work.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEaPDNgUPLE

If you get totally hooked, he's got a lot of great guest verses as well.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

stealie72 posted:

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Just in awe of this

I'm assuming you don't live in the US? Or weren't listening to mainstream music in the late 90s and 2000s?
Or were in a coma for 25 years?

Edit: Also, for real, listen to more Wallflowers and report back. My GF at the time LOVED them and I remember them being so bland as to be almost impossible to remember.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

stealie72 posted:

A lot of great stuff listed here, but posting to say

NonzeroCircle posted:

-Deltron 3030 "Deltron 3030"
is one of the greatest albums of all time. Not rap album or experimental album, but album.

The samples/production are unbelievable and Del somehow makes rapping about a future with Gundams having rap battles work.