Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xynobia
Mar 17, 2007

Emmitt Nervend posted:

What about Fugazi? It's one of those bands I always hear talked about, and everyone I know of who is into them is REALLY into them.

Chinaski was right about starting with the first two albums...I bought all their albums in order, and even though it's one of the most popular/influential 13 Songs is one of my least-played. Repeater--and the more experimental Red Medicine--on the other hand, I play at least once a month. Repeater's an awesome starting place.

monstertruckdriver posted:

I realize he's quite prolific and has a ton of bands, but what's a good starting point for Mike Patton?

Tomahawk are my favorite Patton project, but Faith No More's Angel Dust is the album that really turned me on to him. It's an amazing album, and showcases his early talents without being completely insane. His Peeping Tom album is similarly accessible and badass. Depending on what your tastes are, I'd go with Mr. Bungle's Disco Volante (experimental rock), Dillinger Escape Plan's Irony is a Dead Scene EP (metal/hardcore) or Fantomas' Delìrium Còrdia (avant-garde) for follow-up.

Xynobia fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Feb 10, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xynobia
Mar 17, 2007

Roasted Donut posted:

Dance of December Souls is their debut, and without a doubt their best work to date. Their second album, Brave Murder Day, is also good. If want something good that's more recent, Viva Emptiness and The Great Cold Distance are both quality, but much different from their roots.

I agree with the second part here, definitely. Unless you're a pretty big death metal fan already, the first two albums may fall on deaf ears at first. Viva Emptiness was my intro to the band, which then lead me to discover their older/heavier albums, which I enjoy a lot more now. But I'd say start with Viva or Great Cold Distance and work back, not forward.

If you're already really into death metal, disregard this.

Xynobia
Mar 17, 2007

cryme posted:

Zen Arcade and New Day Rising are probably all you need.

Flip Your Wig is mandatory listening too, pal. :colbert: But I'd start with New Day Rising (a little poppier) or the aforementioned Zen Arcade (more hardcore).

Xynobia
Mar 17, 2007

Rat Salad posted:

Dirty, then Goo, then Daydream Nation then EVOL. In order of accessibility, I guess.

Even though I prefer Dirty and Goo over Daydream Nation, conventional wisdom usually seems to be to start with Daydream and work backwards or forward from there. Forward if you want to get into the more conventional, grungy stuff of the early nineties, and backwards if you want some distortion and experimentation to start dominating the songwriting. Daydream is a great gateway album if you ask me, but like I said, I like Dirty and Goo more overall.

Xynobia
Mar 17, 2007

An Old Box posted:

Where would one start with Napalm Death and early grindcore in general?

The guys that posted about Napalm Death already are right...Scum is a great place to start. Their last few albums (from Enemy of the Music Business on up) are all totally up to par, and easier to find than some of their early albums.

As far as other early grind bands go, absolutely do not miss Repulsion. Their first (and only) full-length, Horrified, is the stuff of legend. And their drummer, Dave Grave, had a Hitler mustache.