Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Chinaski posted:

I want to check out Coil.

The only song I've heard is Teenage Lightning, which is pretty neat. Is that album (Ape of Naples) a good place to start?

Ape of Naples is great but pretty loose and druggy. I'd recommend Horse Rotorvator and Love's Secret Domain before it, they're not exactly "catchy" but more immediately accessible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

The Monarch posted:

I know this is vague, but how do I get into punk music? I haven't really ever listened to it, but I do like some of Iggy Pop. Thanks.

The Saints - Stranded
Ramones - s/t
The Stooges - s/t
The Clash - s/t
New York Dolls - s/t
MC5 - Kick Out the Jams

The great early names. gently caress the Sex Pistols.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

Pibborando San posted:

I got Miles Davis' "Bitches Brew" after hearing constant amazing things and it did not dissapoint. However, Davis' discography is longer than many papers I've written so I have no idea where to go next. Tips?

To be honest, I think Bitches Brew is really boring compared to Miles' best live fusion stuff. Only In A Silent Way is worse (so don't get it lolll). Anyway, Pangaea and Agharta were recorded on the same day at some Japanese festival and both are really loving tight, endless grooves and a lot of squeaky noise. Then there's Dark Magus which is like a constant 80-minute mass of sound, really awesome. Then there's Live-Evil which is a bit more sober but still good and Jack Johnson which is slightly better than Bitches Brew and prob right up your alley.

As for similar stuff not by Miles, I'm no expert but Herbie Hancock had a really good thing going from 1971 to 1973 with the albums Mwandishi, Sextant and Crossings. Really spacey and hosed up. After them he released the überpopular Head Hunters which is a funky turd. You'll probably like it though, I'm the crazy old man of the jazz lovin' internet with my opinions no one shares.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

Geb posted:

Where do I start with Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds? They've come highly recommended to me from several close friends.

No More Shall We Part for slow & gloomy piano stuff, Tender Prey for a bit more rock and madness, Birthday Party's live album for punk.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

TOO MANY CATS posted:

Super ae or Vision Creation Newsun for the song-oriented material, or Super Roots 7 or 9 for the long-form stuff (which I consider superior).

Chocolate Synthetizer and Pop Tatari for field recordings from an insane asylum in outer space.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

Boredoms, afrobeat = ???

Anyway, beyond Fela, there's lots of great afrobeat comps but most of them are out of print so you kinda have to rely on blogs or P2P to find them. "Nigeria 70 - The Definite Story of the Funky Lagos" is an essential two-disc comp, as are "Afro Baby - The Evolution of the Afro Sound in Nigeria" (still on print) and "AfricaFunk - Return to the Original Sound of 1970s Funky Africa". Then there's "Ghana Soundz" volumes 1 & 2 and Moussa Doumbia's "Keleya" for great stuff outside Nigeria. Most of the artists never released their albums outside Africa so the most convenient way to approach afrobeat is with comps like those. And if you just like the sound but don't care about the politics, there's a great one called "Nigeria Special" released last month, and a double CD of Orlando Julius' early afrofunk albums called "Super Afro Soul".

For modern afrobeat there's the (predominantly white, for shame) Antibalas Afrobeat Orchestra who are pretty experimental and heavy at times so that might be a good way to start too.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

Biscuit! posted:

Sun City Girls
Seriously, where do I start.

The early '90s albums are pretty coherent and "musical" in their own distorted way. Torch of the Mystics and Grotto of Miracles are ace. After that maybe some of the more expansive raga stuff like Crossdressers from Beyond Rig Veda (or what the hell that was called) and the odd skronky jam band poo poo like Juggernaut. Box of Chameleons is insane if you just want to hear a glimpse of everything they've ever done, it's 3 CDs and like 150 tracks.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

I've loved everything I've heard by him, but I need a good album to start with for John Zorn.

If you like stupid hyperactive cartoon soundtrack crap, grab the Naked City s/t. If you like great insane avantgarde jazz try The Big Gundown and Electric Masada's At the Mountains of Madness.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

Popcorn posted:

Thanks Willie and bedmobile!

Does anyone know where I should start with Sonic Youth? There's an old Radiohead b-side called Permanent Daylight that I absolutely adore and it's said to be 'a tribute to Sonic Youth'. If there's more like Permanent Daylight then I'm very interested. (Here's the Radiohead track for comparison: http://youtube.com/watch?v=t6rqUhEyzGM)

Even if the Sonic Youth connection is exaggerated, I'd still like to know where to start with this iconic band.

Most of the good Sonic Youth albums sound a lot like that. I'd start with Sister, Daydream Nation, Murray Street and Goo.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

Doug posted:

No Jesus and Mary Chain recommendations? That's one name along with MBV that seems to get thrown around a lot when I hear about shoegaze..

They were a big influence on shoegaze but didn't really do an album that fits in the style. Honey's Dead comes the closest but it's nowhere near nerdy enough to count.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

Anorak Revolution posted:

40s to 60s Jazz

This is basically the same thing as any "recommend me jazz" post, dood.

Charlie Parker - The Complete Dial (or Savoy or Verve) Masters
Thelonious Monk - Genius of Modern Music vol. ? (or anything on Blue Note)
Duke Ellington - Far East Suite, some Blanton-Webster Band (Never No Lament is huge but 100% awesome)
Dizzy Gillespie - I only have comps, but you can't really go wrong with anything by this guy
Miles Davis - something from the late '50s, not necessarily Kind of Blue
John Coltrane - anything with Eric Dolphy or the Classic Quartet
Charles Mingus - The Complete Atlantic Recordings, The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady
Eric Dolphy - all recordings which title start with "Out", most importantly "to Lunch"
Sonny Rollins - Saxophone Colossus, A Night at the Village Vanguard

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

WET BUTT posted:

"Out To Iron Man"

Make that "Out to The Complete Memorial Album Sessions" which pairs Iron Man with the fabulous "Conversation". It has the worst duet album cliché ever, "Alone Together", but his solo take on "Love Me" is perfect.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

ZakAce posted:

BTW, anyone know how good the Fall's latest CD is? I'm thinking of buying it.

It's excellent, their best in like 10 years. One of those weird and skronky Fall albums with a lot of mindless noise and less of the "pretend this is 'The Classical'" drums that have been prevalent for the last few albums.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

Scythe posted:

What do I do with Sun City Girls? I've already got (and really enjoy) Torch of the Mystics and 330,003 Crossdressers from Beyond the Rig Veda. From what I've been reading, I should get Dante's Disneyland Inferno next. Am I on the right track? What should I do after that?

A lot of Disneyland Inferno is spoken word bullshit, you might want to skip it for now. I'd go for the self-titled, Grotto of Miracles and then maybe some of the imaginary film score poo poo like Juggernaut and Piasa.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

insomne posted:

Where do I start with M.I.A.? After hearing Paper Planes, I have pretty much been listening to this song non-stop. I would love to find some more stuff from her or even something similar sounding to Paper Planes from another band as I haven't really heard anything that has sounded like it before.

She has TWO motherfucking albums, and Paper Planes is on Kala. Is that really too loving hard to Google?

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

HP Hovercraft posted:

I think this thread deserves a bump.

Where do I start with The Fall? Their discography is large and intimidating. I've heard This Nations Saving Grace is their best album, but what else is good?

Anything from the '80s is good, especially Hex Enduction Hour, Perverted by Language and Grotesque After the Gramme, the first two albums are solid too, early '90s is decent, late '90s blows and '00s is mostly alright but no comparison to '80s.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

Plain Bagels posted:

I loved everything Sonic Youth did on Daydream Nation, specifically Teenage Riot, Eric's Trip, and Candle. Where should I go from there?

Sister, Goo, EVOL, Murray Street.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

Al2001 posted:

I want to get into some spanish language music mainly cos I'm learning Spanish and like music. I like acoustic stuff and obviously singers who enunciate clearly would be the most helpful, but any suggestions, regardless of genre, are welcome. What spanish/Latin American stuff do you guys listen to?

Well, if by "acoustic stuff" you mean singer/songwriters, then the Nueva Canción movement should have a lot to offer you: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nueva_cancion

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

Fodder Cannon posted:

e: Also, Fela Kuti, his discography is huge.

Anything after 1969 really. Shakara is my favourite but it's all good.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

grazim posted:

Expensive poo poo and Zombie are great.

And by far his most popular albums despite being no way substantially greater than anything else of his '70s output... what a coincidence.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

Jive One posted:

Anything I should specifically listen for that might be unique to the band?

Yes, everything they've ever done...

All of the most popular albums are good places to start: Hex Enduction Hour, Perverted by Language, Live at the Witch Trials &c. They're always different but always the same.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

thetruancybot posted:

Where do I get started with Faust? I've been interested in krautrock as of late and from what I've read these guys were one of the most significant acts. However, their discography seems to be all over the place, with some hella long tracks. I can deal with this but it'd be nice to start with their most accessible album.

IV is probably the most accessible one (although it sucks). The first two is where it's at, and after that random live albums throughout the years.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

RollingBoBo posted:

Where should I start with A Tribe Called Quest?

There's like four hiphop groups ever whose best album wasn't their debut... Tribe wasn't one of them imo but start with Low End Theory or People's &c.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

Kikkoman posted:

Once I've gone through 36 chambers and Wu-Tang Forever, should I bother with the rest of their group career or go straight to solo albums?

The W has a couple of nice tunes.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

Ellen Page Reactor posted:

How about David Byrne? I know he's done a whole lot with a lot of different people, but I haven't heard much of it. Where should I start with him?

While you're at it, check out stuff on his label, Luaka Bop, cos most of it is very good! And he's made guest appearances on very good albums by Tom Zé and Marisa Monte :)

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

Carlinator posted:

Fake Edit: Now that I think of it, what's a good route to get into Jimi Hendrix on a level beyond "HAY DOOD PURPLE HAZE, ALL ALONG THE WATCHTOWER AN VOODOO CHILD ROOOOOOCKKKKK!!!"?

The dude released, what, four albums? How bloody difficult is it to pick one of them, maybe the one that has some songs you've already heard and liked? Not that I even know what you're on about in the HAY DOOD part, they're all good songs.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

That's a pretty strong opinion to have about the harmony of The Goon Community.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

XTimmy posted:

Been wanting to get into the house scene through Happy Hardcore and Hardcore a while but since the community makes me want to take a flamethrower to it I think I'll ask here. What are some good groups or even albums for that kind of music. I have a preference for hard marching beats and ominous vocal samples. (Headhunterz - End of My Existence or The Sacrifice for example).

Normally I'm an alternative fan but you can't really dance to Radiohead's Exit Music.

Shut Up And Dance - the first 20 singles

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

Fail-Bot posted:

So as lame as it is, I really like Insane in the Membrane by Cypress Hill. I'm wondering if the rest of their stuff is worth listening to, and where to begin?

Their first two LPs are classics, nothing to be embarrassed about...

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

Final Fantasy Baseball posted:

The Fall have nearly 30 studio albums and they've been on my list of bands to check out for a while. I have no idea what a good starting point is, so I was wondering if they have any 'consensus' albums or if I should just get "50,000 Fall Fans Can't Be Wrong" and then decide what I like off of that.

Option b is acceptable, but This Nation's Saving Grace is as good a place to start imo.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

Chexmix posted:

Anyone know what a good starting point with Fela Kuti would be? I got interested because of K'naan and J. Period's "The Messengers" mixtape and really liked what I heard there.

He never released a bad or even a mediocre album so you can't really go wrong. Expensive poo poo is the most famous album for some reason but I don't think it's in his top 5. I'd say my favourites are Shakara/Lady, Roforofo Fight and Beasts of No Nation but 'tis all good.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

-Atom- posted:

Where do I start with Jay-Z, because god drat does he have a poo poo ton of albums.

Reasonable Doubt & The Blueprint. How is this not obvious? Those two are huge classics and everything else is just flavour.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

Skilleddk posted:

Which album from The Jesus and Mary Chain is easiest accessible? I heard some tracks and didn't really like them, but I don't want to dismiss the band so quick.

Matters gently caress all which one is the most accessible (that would be Stoned & Dethroned, which is a boring folk-pop LP), Psychocandy is their best and no one in their right mind would ever disagree.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

Watermelon City posted:

I like Fela Kuti's Zombie and Expensive poo poo. Where do I go from here? He's intimidatingly prolific.

Doesn't matter, literally everything he ever did is at least listenable. Any of the most popular LPs from the '70s is a good pick, Shakara and Roforofo Fight are my favourites. The Confusion/Gentleman double CD reissue is wonderful as well.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

Popcorn posted:

Where do I start with, uh, the jungle/drum & bass genre? I am embarrassed to admit this but it's actually a cheesy video game track that made me wonder if there might be something in it for me to like after all-- I've gone my whole life hating the genre-- but it's completely out of my field so I have no idea where to start hunting.

I just love the chopped-up beats starting at 1:03. I want to listen to lots and lots of that.

Download a couple of DJ Hype mixtapes and see what you dig. "Jungle Massive" has most of the hits of the jungle era, and "Drum&Bass Arena Presents DJ Hype" is a pretty sick mix of more modern jump-up poo poo.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

insomne posted:

You could maybe start with Pendulum, as much as I'm not really a fan, I think that's a good starting point and it's about as mainstream as drum 'n' bass gets. Maybe Spor and all of the darkstep guys are a good place to look next. Then there's the liquid funk subgenre, you have guys like High Contrast and Danny Byrd.

Stuff that's kind of related to D&B: If you want harder type stuff you can go with breakcore guys like Venetian Snares. There's dubstep, which is insanely popular right now. Then again, if you're looking for slower, chopped-up glitchy beats, maybe you'd be interested in IDM (which has a ton of different sounds and music nerds sit there arguing whether something is IDM or not), not drum 'n' bass.

You just really gotta look around, there's a lot of stuff. Some good radio stations to listen to are rinse.fm and BBC Radio 1xtra. Don't be afraid to AIM or PM me if you want some more specific recommendations about any type of electronic music.

C'mon now, I give him a propa cool rec and when he goes "ahh this isn't videogamey enough for me" you namedrop friggin' Pendulum? Just to take all the credit? So bitchy.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

1000 umbrellas posted:

In all seriousness, Wikipedia is the most definitive music database ever. It is amazing, and I use it to research bands all the time.

Uhh, actually Wikipedia is totally useless once you depart from the shallowest top level of western musical mainstream...

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

Fame Throwa posted:

I'm trying to get more into old school folk music but I'm not sure where to start. I pretty much only know about Bob Dylan and Cat Stevens.

Woody Guthrie & Folkways' "Anthology of American Folk Music".

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Okay, okay.. Where do I start with Fela Kuti?

Expensive poo poo & Zombie aren't bad by any means, and they're by far his most famous albums, but I'd say Roforofo Fight, London Scene & Shakara/Lady are just as good as starting points.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

Roydrowsy posted:

back in college I LOVED what I could find of "The Birthday Party", but I've yet to really explore Nick Cave's work with The Bad Seeds.

Where does one starts with Nice Cave and The Bad Seeds? Would Murder Ballads be best?

Murder Ballads has a few solid tunes, but also a bunch of poo poo, so I wouldn't start with it. Tender Prey is easily his best, then I'd give the '80s stuff a whirl if you're into BP.