Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Psyber Spine posted:

Yes! So I guess it's the jazz structure of the songs that I like? I've not been exposed to a lot of jazz growing up so I'll have to explore the genre a bit more. What does "boogaloo" mean in this context? I've seen it on a few songs that don't seem to have anything in common.

Boogaloo was one of the Latin music crazes of the 60s, and kinda like mambo I think the word stopped having any definite meaning very quickly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

stealie72 posted:

Forgive me if this has come up, but Spotify recently introduced me to Jacques Brel (specifically "la Chanson de Jacky"), and by extension Scott Walker. Other than letting Spotify play Jacques Brel radio, where do I go from here? Don't care if its English, French, or gibberish, just love the sound.
Listen to Fabrizio de Andre

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

My annoying elitist opinion is that once Ellington clicks with you, Mingus seems much less important and exciting. The sweeping concepts and suites are there, but with better songs and more energy. You just have to get past the inherent corniness of old jazz

e: and with Ellington I would start with the late albums like Far East Suite, New Orleans Suite and Afro-Bossa for that exact reason, they have a more modern big band sound but one that's obviously built on what the orchestra did in the 20s and 30s

Ras Het fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Jun 27, 2022