Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet
Where should I start with Brian Eno's solo work? Or. Where should I continue to? I randomly got Ambient 1 and Another Green World after reading a quick overview of him and enjoyed both of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet

Boomzilla posted:

Where should I start with Tom Waits? I bought Real Gone a couple years ago on a whim, and I really like the songs where it doesn't sound like he's barking into a megaphone. "Green Grass" and "Dead and Lovely" are amazing.

Rain Dogs and Swordfishtrombones

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

Also, for any of you metalheads out there, I've had the desire to pick up some Zao, but wasn't sure what to get. I was thinking of getting The Funeral of God, just because it's the one I've heard the most of and I loved everything I've heard, but I'd like to know what some of their best earlier stuff is. Also, is the new album any good? I'm tempted to get it just because Steve Albini recorded it.

Liberete Te Ex Inferis is what got me into them, haven't heard their new one though.

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet

Dark Onion posted:

Any recommendations for Run DMC? I just listened to "it's like that" and now I have to find more.

You can't go wrong with their first four albums, Run-DMC, King Of Rock, Raising Hell, Tougher Than Leather

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet

Ekplixi posted:

Where do I start with rap? I really like female MCs like Mary J. Blige and Lil Mama. I'm digging Mary's "Growing Pains" and Lil Mama's "Voice of the Young People". Not sure where to go from here.

Check out the Ruff Ryders, namely Volumes 1 and 2. A lot of good rappers collaborate on all their albums, can't wait for volume 5.

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet

Rogue posted:

Here's one - can someone tell me where to start with Dream Theater? I'm going to see them next Tuesday (a big part of the reason is because I love Opeth - who they are touring with) and I have heard basically nothing of theirs. I love the song 'Hollow Years', and after hearing that 'Pull Me Under' was one of their biggest hits I listened to it and I think it's pretty good. I don't really like LaBrie's voice on a lot of his high notes, but I'm a guitarist and I think Petrucci is pretty amazing.

Any tips?

I'd get them in this order:

Scenes From A Memory
Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence
Their new one, Systematic Chaos, since they'll likely be playing new songs.
Images And Words
Awake
Train Of Thought
Change Of Seasons

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet

xdistak posted:

Wow, this thread has been a tremendous asset just browsing through so far. There have been some great recommendations, everyone.

I'm looking to get into De la Soul, where do I begin?

Start with 3 Feet High And Rising, then De La Soul Is Dead, then go chronologically from there.

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet

kcer posted:

I just picked up the new Ayreon album. This is far and away not what I usually listen to, but it's intriguing.

What direction should I head in with these?

The Human Equation
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Human_Equation

The one I was recommended when I first got into them, has probably the best line up of an Ayreon album as well.

And it's not Eric CLAPTON, its Eric CLAYTON.

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet

burntloser posted:

Check out the All Else Failed re-release for something a bit different from their current stuff. It's what did it for me.

How should I approach Ice T? Is Body Count worth looking into?

ZAO's Liberete Te Ex Inferis is the album that got me to like them, and the only one I still regularly listen to by them.

for Ice-T, get O.G, Original Gangster. Body Count is okay, but his rapping is better and O.G has a Body Count style song called Body Count on it.

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Either this or The Moon & Antarctica.

And after those "We Were Dead Before The Ship Even Sank"

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet

King Astronaut posted:

Checked the last few pages, but didn't find anything for Devin Townshend/Strapping Young Lad. I like what little bit I've heard off last.fm. Sorry I can't help with more specifics, but I am pretty open to all suggestions.

For SYL, get City. Not only is the best SYL album, it's also one of the best pure heavy albums I've heard.

For Devin Townsend, almost every album he puts out sounds somewhat different then the next and previous, but Terria was the first one I got and its a drat fine album. One of his "first" solo albums "Punky Brewster/Hooked On Phonics" is a great pop punk album taking the piss out of the genre.

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet

ultrafilter posted:

Blackwater Park is generally recognized as their best album.

Seconding this.

But if you can get two, get "Still Life" as well.

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet

Skilleddk posted:

I'm into instrumental hip hop a bit, and heard some stuff by MF Doom that I liked, though I don't remember the song names. Which of his albums is most "instrumental", like RJD2 or so?

His Special Herb volumes are all great.

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet

hatelull posted:

Eh, that's sorta easy. Just look for any of the stuff favored "backpacker hip-hop" set. I'm not even remotely in touch with the subject, but I can ding off the following for you to seek.

Del the Funky Homosapien - Deltron 3030
Cannibal Ox - Cold Vein
Aesop Rock - Labor Days
Dead Prez - Let's Get Free

Listen to what this man said, it's exactly what I was going to say (except maybe I'd get Aesop's None Shall Pass, but both are incredible in their own rights)

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet

Carlinator posted:

Odd a choice as it may be, what's the best way to get into Iron Maiden? I've heard a few of their songs on my friends' mix CD's, like # of the beast, Run to the Hills, 2 Minutes to Midnight and the like. I'd really like to insert them into my collection, but they've got quite a few albums, many of which are recommended to me as THE BEST, and I just don't know where to start.

*number

The one I got first was Powerslave, but Number of the Beast is the most common choice for a good reason.

quote:

As background, my metal tastes aren't particularly narrow, I like Black Sabbath, the Big 4 of thrash ('Tallica, Megadeth, Slayer and Anthrax), Ozzy, Pantera, the occasional Dimmu Borgir and Cannibal Corpse track... you get the idea. I also sometimes like to just mellow out with most of the standard 60's/70's bands: Frampton, Led Zep, Pink Floyd, AC/DC, Beatles, Deep Purple, Van Halen, etc.

*Metallica

Death Angel released some of the best metal albums of the 80s, The Ultra Violence, Frolic In The Park and Act III (1990, but whatever), Death also has some must get albums of metal, Human, Individual Thought Patterns. Testament's first 3 albums are classic metal albums, and Low is one of the best mid 90s metal albums I've heard.

quote:

Fake Edit: Now that I think of it, what's a good route to get into Jimi Hendrix on a level beyond "HAY DOOD PURPLE HAZE, ALL ALONG THE WATCHTOWER AN VOODOO CHILD ROOOOOOCKKKKK!!!"?

Any of his few solo albums. Is it uncool to you for me to recommend my favourite Jimi Hendrix song, The Wind Cries Mary, which was featured on rock band or guitar hero recently? Since I'm assuming thats what you mean by "hay dood".

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet

Rhg0061r posted:

Good place to start with Metric anyone?

"Old World Underground" and "Live It Out", their new one Fantasies is also great but their first two are equally good.

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet

Ellen Page Reactor posted:

How about Brian Eno? I like the music he's done with David Byrne and David Bowie, but I haven't heard any of his solo work.

May as well drive the point home further, Another Green World and Ambient 1.

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet
edit: meant this for recommendation thread

CharlesWillisMaddox fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jul 7, 2009

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet

HAI posted:

Reasonable Doubt & The Blueprint. How is this not obvious? Those two are huge classics and everything else is just flavour.

It would be obvious if you listened to Jay Z and were familiar with his work, which this guy clearly isn't.

Parroting what you said though, Reasonable Doubt and the Blueprint.

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet

Paperhouse posted:

Where should I start with Atmosphere? Someone just linked me to this live version of The River and I'm pretty impressed, it gets really intense at the end and the guy sounds like he's almost breaking into tears. I'd like to hear more.

I'm not in any way the best person to recommend him, but the Lucy Ford album is pretty great, and it has one of the eeriest hip hop songs I've heard.

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet

Funyon posted:

Where do I start with post hardcore? I mostly listen to metal, but I'm finding it quite hard to get into anything with hardcore in the genre. I like my music more melodic, with less growly vocals. I've been listening to Such Small Hands by La Dispute a lot, but I have no idea where to go from there.

edit: oops, wrong thread. But like I said in the other, mewithoutYou.

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet

Roydrowsy posted:

back in college I LOVED what I could find of "The Birthday Party", but I've yet to really explore Nick Cave's work with The Bad Seeds.

Where does one starts with Nice Cave and The Bad Seeds? Would Murder Ballads be best?

Everyone starts with Murder Ballads it seems, I did and it its a great album but Henry's Dream is my favorite.

While you're at it, Nick Cave's other band "Grinderman" album is pretty great if you like Nick Cave when he's focusing on rocking.

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet
What Prince album should I go for next?

Ones I already like: Around The World In A Day, Controversy, Dirty Mind, 1999, Purple Rain, Lotus Flower.

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet
Where do I start with King Diamond? The only thing I listen to by him is Mercyful Fate.

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet

ultrafilter posted:

Abigail.

Thanks, picked this one up.

Is any of King Diamonds new stuff worth getting?

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet

CharlesWillisMaddox posted:

What Prince album should I go for next?

Ones I already like: Around The World In A Day, Controversy, Dirty Mind, 1999, Purple Rain, Lotus Flower.

I posted this a while ago, and I got a reply recommending Sign Of The Times, which I really like, also LoveSexy got added to this list. So besides the above, and the two new ones, which ones should I get next?

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet

Suicide Watch posted:

Nickelback

The State, then do what I did and pretend they died in 2000 and never released another album and tragically became a short lived good Canadian rock band.

The second worst thing to happen on 9/11 was Nickelback releasing Silver Side Up and becoming the Nickelback we all know and loving hate today.

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet

Polegrinder posted:

Thrash. I'm talking old 80s thrash and some NWOBHM stuff. I know Anthrax, Slayer, Megadeth, and Metallica. But I want to get into Testament and stuff like that. I need some classic albums to start and where do I go from there.

Exodus - Bonded By Blood
Exodus - Fabulous Disaster
Death Angel - The Ultra Violence
Death Angel - Act III
Forbidden - Twisted Into Form
Kings Evil - Deletion Of Humanoise
Testament - The Legacy
Testament - Low
Tourniquet - Pathogenic Ocular Dissonance
Tourniquet - Where Moth And Rust Destroy
3 Inches Of Blood - Advance and Vanquish
Municipal Waste - Art Of Partying
Deliverance - Weapons Of Our Warfare

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet

ProperCoochie posted:

e- and Nick Cave?

Murder Ballads is probably his most popular and most accessible. Henry's Dream is by far my favorite though.