Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I've loved everything I've heard by him, but I need a good album to start with for John Zorn.

Also, for any of you metalheads out there, I've had the desire to pick up some Zao, but wasn't sure what to get. I was thinking of getting The Funeral of God, just because it's the one I've heard the most of and I loved everything I've heard, but I'd like to know what some of their best earlier stuff is. Also, is the new album any good? I'm tempted to get it just because Steve Albini recorded it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

cryme posted:

AEnima, i guess.

What he said. It's both their best album and the best intro to their different styles of music.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

hatelull posted:

Cannibal Ox - Cold Vein

Really, every serious hip-hop fan should have this. Just an incredible album.

As an aside, would anyone be up for giving me a good Wu Tang primer for my white rear end? I got 36 Chambers, Iron Man, and Liquid Swords. What are good starting points for the Wu's solo albums, besides Ghostface and GZA?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

The Artist In The Ambulance was the first album I ever heard by them and it still remains the only one I really love. That one's just so powerful, and for some reason the others just don't do much of anything for me.

Vheissu only had a few tracks that really grabbed me. The Alchemy Index, at least the first two parts of it (Fire and Water), is pretty decent but it doesn't come close to having the effect on me that Artist In The Ambulance did. And as for the first two albums, well I've only heard bits and pieces so I'm not too clear on those.

When I saw them live back in 2007 with Brand New, the best stuff they played was from Artist In The Ambulance and Alchemy Indexes 1 & 2, in my opinion.

In my opinion Vheissu is their best album, but I agree that The Artist in the Ambulance is the best place to start. That way, if you want more experimental Thrice, you can move forward (Vheissu, Alchemy Index) and if you want more straight up punk/hardcore Thrice, you can move backward (The Illusion of Safety). Or, like me, you can do both.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

FitFortDanga posted:

Parliament's Mothership Connection and Funkadelic's One Nation Under a Groove are the easiest entry points, and contain the most popular work by both groups. My personal favorite is the first, Funkadelic's self-titled album.

Maggot Brain is fantastic too, if only for the mind-blowing title track (although "You and your folks...", Hit it and Quit it, and Super Stupid are all awesome too).

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Admiral Goodenough posted:

Edit: While I'm at it, does anyone know any good queercore?

Limp Wrist is pretty decent.

quote:

Where would one start with Napalm Death and early grindcore in general?

As far as Napalm Death, I highly, highly reccomend Scum, their first album. And as far as other grindcore goes, you really can't go wrong with Carcass. Necrotism and Heartwork are my favorite of their albums.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

cryme posted:

Those albums aren't even grind, though.

Tomato, tomato.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

ozymandius1024 posted:

Same goes for Hot Water Music.

I'd say just start with Forever and Counting and move forward. Finding the Rythms is okay, but not essential. They really hit their stride with Forever.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

cryme posted:

For Hot Water Music, their 'classic' album is Fuel for the Hate Game.

Yeah, this is definitely considered their opus, but I've always thought Forever and Counting was the better of the two. Both are must-haves, though.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I'm trying to get into KRS-One, but I basically only know him from his guest spots, and his discography is massive. What's the best starting point?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

baberaham lincoln posted:

Return of The Boom Bap, and possibly some of his stiff with BDP like Criminally Minded.

He also put out a really good album about 2 years ago with Marley Marl called Hip-Hop Lives if you want something more "modern" sounding, but honestly, Return of The Boom Bap is where you need to start.

Thanks for the tip, I picked up Return of the Boom Bap and it's pretty goddamn awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Eight Is Legend posted:

From what I have heard, Mongrel would probably be the next logical step.

I'd just go chronologically with these guys, basically. Start with Put on Your Rosy Red Glasses, skip over everything on An Inch of Gold for an Inch of Time except for the amazing "My Sharona" cover (everything else on it is just lesser re-recordings of songs on their first two albums), and then Nuclear, Sad, Nuclear.

I'm honestly not huge into Mongrel or Worse Than Alone, but those first two albums are loving great.