Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sebb
Aug 8, 2007
kinda like the way you're breathing
kinda like the way you keep looking away
A friend of mine is obsessed with the Mountain Goats, so I'm interested enough to check them out. Any general opinions on their work, and what albums are the best?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sebb
Aug 8, 2007

Juttman posted:

I recently fell in love with Giant Steps by John Coltrane. What should I get next?

A Love Supreme is what everyone raves about, and it is indeed an amazing album.

Sebb
Aug 8, 2007

conrack posted:

Yeah, the original post was a list of my cd book and how antiquated it is. I don't drive (woohoo city life, bike and iPod), I don't read magazines, and I don't watch music television. I like songs in some movies but have never looked up artists or song names.

My CD Book is as follows...

Hendrix (4), the Beatles (6), Incubus (3), Zeppelin (4), Outkast (4), Nirvana (2), Silverchair (1), Mos Def and Talib Kweli (2), Smashing Pumpkins (5), Robert Johnson (2), DMX (3), Son House (2), the White Stripes (6), Ludacris (4), Billie Holiday (2), Elmore James (1), Biggie (3), Mobb Deep (1), the Black Keys (4), Radiohead (4), random lesser known blues guys, and random bands from the 60's-70's (Ant Trip Ceremony?)

When you're asking something that general it's kinda hard to just give you recommendations right off the bat. What I would recommend however is getting a last.fm account - it'll record all that you listen to and suggest new bands for you to try out. You can also just delve into similar artists and neighbours with similar taste and all sorts of stuff, and listen to the bands you're interested in right on the site itself. Pretty invaluable.