Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

moosey posted:

Where do I start w/ Talking Heads

I LOVE 77, and Speaking In Toungues wasn't that bad. I want more songs like "No Compassion" and "The Book I Read"!

The first four albums (77, More Songs about Buildings and Food, Fear of Music, and Remain in Light) are all excellent. Songs is the closest to 77 stylistically. Don't miss out on The Name of This Band is Talking Heads either--it's a 2-disc live album covering the first three albums and definitely worth hearing.

After that, the albums tend to attract a wider variety of opinions. Stop Making Sense is essential both as an album and a movie. I'm not wild about Speaking in Tongues, but Little Creatures is one of my favorites. I didn't like True Stories until I saw the movie (rent before you buy) but now I do. Naked is for completists only.

There's also a 2-disc greatest hits collection, Sand in the Vaseline, that covers their entire career chronologically and will give you a pretty good idea of what each album sounds like. There are also a few songs on there that I don't think are available anywhere else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Modulus posted:

This isn't as much of a "where do I start with" question, it's more of a "where do I go from here..." question, so here goes.

I'm looking for something to continue my Megadeth education. I already have Rust in Peace as well as Peace Sells...But Who's Buying?, and I'm aware of course that these were their megahit albums. Since then, it seems the group has undergone some personnel changes, so I'm wondering what would be a good next album to check out. If I had to say which one I like better in terms of style, I would have to lean towards R.I.P., but only slightly- I think it's a much more technically demanding album, and Marty Friedman just blows me away every time. So, for those of you more knowledgeable, what would be some other album(s) to check out? Thanks!

Youthanasia and the latest one are arguably essential, given that you have the classics.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Oncogene posted:

Considering you've never heard much from them, and haven't been much for metal, then I'd say the Black album (the self-titled one) would be pretty accessible. It's the album that was most radio-friendly (up to that point) and the one where most non-Metallica fans have heard and enjoyed.

That's pretty much a good dividing point for the band. From there, you can either go chronologically backwards to their more thrashier and heavier stuff or push forward and head into the "country hard rock" phase which isn't nearly as bad as everyone makes it out to be. (Load and Reload)

Two very goods ones are Garage Inc which consists of cover songs from their earlier influences and S&M which was a live concert they did with the San Francisco Symphony. You may not think that Metallica and symphonic music mesh together very well, but it sounds surprisingly great and you should definitely give it a listen.

Despite having a completely open mind about them, you'll still probably want to skip St. Anger.

This is good advice. The only thing I can had is that Ride the Lightning and Master of Puppets are generally considered to be Metallica's best work, so if you're interested in early Metallica, check one of those out. I prefer Ride the Lightning, but I'd guess that the fans are pretty evenly split between those two.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

insomne posted:

Where do I start with Venetian Snares? Looks like the dude has like four thousand albums and I'm interested in some of his stuff or even the genre as a whole.

I started with Rossz Csillag Alatt Született and it's an excellent album.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

DrPop posted:

Where would I start if I liked Pretty Hate Machine, Broken and the Downward Spiral by NIN and I want to find music similar to it by different artists? I guess "where do I start with industrial" but hell if I know that's what people call it these days.

If you're not familiar with Ministry, you should be. Psalm 69 is a fantastic album.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

trans fat posted:

Where do I start with prog metal? Stuff like Dream Theater - real nerdy, technical music. I need new music and metal is the only major genre left out of my Zune.

Dream Theater's pretty much best of breed, but there are some other good acts out there. You might be well served to look through their similar artists on last.fm, with an eye towards stuff on the first few pages.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

trans fat posted:

What specific albums should I be looking for?

Symphony X, V: The New Mythology Suite
Shadow Gallery, Carved in Stone
Spock's Beard, V
3, The End is Begun
Opeth, Ghost Reveries
Porcupine Tree, In Absentia

That should give you a sense of the different flavors of prog metal and modern prog rock.

ultrafilter fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Dec 26, 2008

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

RaoulDuke posted:

Husker Du and/or Jawbreaker. I know Husker Du made a shift from hardcore to melodic alternativeish at some point, but the bests of either would be great.

For Husker Du, Zen Arcade is a good place to start.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Forgone Conclusion posted:

How about Nick Lowe? I've heard a few songs from Jesus of Cool and few from Rockpile's one album, so I should probably seek those out, but what else is there?

Basher: The Best of Nick Lowe is considered a pretty good introduction. If you're looking for the original albums, it's worth noting that about half of the tracks on that best-of come from his first two albums.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

ossiferluficer posted:

Ok, I had to scroll through 17 pages to see if this had not been asked already, and I didn't see it. So I ask, where does one start with Opeth? I'm not a huge metalhead, but I do like some bands in the more progressive vein, like the more recent Mastodon albums.

Blackwater Park is generally recognized as their best album.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Shakespearean Beef posted:

Where should I start with Black Sabbath? They're a huge band and have influnced many of my favorite artists, but I havn't heard much of them apart from a couple of famous songs. I took a look at their discog and its huge, where would a good place to begin be?

The short answer is that you should go in chronological order. I don't care for Black Sabbath without Ozzy, so I can't speak to those albums. Black Sabbath and Paranoid are must-haves for any metal fan, and the next two (Masters of Reality and Vol. 4) are up there too. Sabbath Bloody Sabbath and Sabotage may be worth picking up if you really like what you've heard so far.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Soylent Heliotrope posted:

A genre question, but one a little easier than the jazz one because it's not exactly a broad genre. Where do I start with darkwave?

I'd say start with Switchblade Symphony and the Cruxshadows, and then use last.fm's list of similar artists for each to find other acts to check out.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Skilleddk posted:

Where do I start with PJ Harvey and Garbage?

For Garbage, start with their best of, Absolute Garbage. If that's not enough, go in chronological order.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Revol posted:

I'm sure it's been asked before, but we all miss the search option. Where do I start with Mastodon? And also, what should I expect, what are they like?

Start with Leviathan, which sounds like this.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

trans fat posted:

How should I start with Yngwie Malmsteen? I don't really want any of his previous band's albums, just his band named after himself. I like the song Icarus Dream Fanfare, so I'd like there to be more orchestral than metal, though a good mix of both would be ideal. I'm also not big on best-ofs or live albums.

You want this.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

An Old Box posted:

Where would one start with Napalm Death and early grindcore in general?

Napalm Death's first two albums are very highly rated as early grindcore goes. Other than that, check out Repulsion and Terrorizer, and use Amazon/last.fm recommendations to help your search. Napalm Death moved towards more conventional song structures later in their career, but their output has been pretty good all along, so check out some of the later albums too. If you like later grindcore, you need to hear Brutal Truth's Need to Control.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

bairfanx posted:

Right, so I figured I may want to give this "Radiohead" group a shot, and am wondering where a good place to start is? I've only ever heard Creep and True Love Waits, and thought they were both decent, but nothing amazing.

OK Computer. Any list of the best rock albums of the 90s will feature it near the top, and with good reason.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

attackmole posted:

Where do I start with Clutch? I'm digging the new songs up on their myspace, but they've got a pretty big backcat. Where's a good place to start?

Start with the latest and work backwards. Their very early stuff is nothing like what they do now, but it's been a pretty gradual evolution, so you can just stop when you're no longer interested.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

HVD posted:

Where should I start with Nine Inch Nails, Depeche Mode, The Doors and Mogwai?

The essential Nine Inch Nails is Broken and The Downward Spiral, with maybe Pretty Hate Machine. Other than that, stick with the major releases and avoid the endless remix EPs unless there's some song you need to hear a dozen variations on.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Carlinator posted:

Odd a choice as it may be, what's the best way to get into Iron Maiden? I've heard a few of their songs on my friends' mix CD's, like # of the beast, Run to the Hills, 2 Minutes to Midnight and the like. I'd really like to insert them into my collection, but they've got quite a few albums, many of which are recommended to me as THE BEST, and I just don't know where to start.

If you just want a best of collection, check out A Real Live Dead One. For actual albums, you'd need Powerslave, Number of the Beast and Piece of Mind.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Not An Irish Monk posted:

How about Isis? I've heard of them and their new album has gotten great reviews. Should I start with that one?

Probably not a bad idea. Oceanic is their masterpiece, IMO.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

spouse posted:

Where do I start with Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds?

Murder Ballads

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

piss poor posted:

Where do I start with Joan of Arc, mathcore and math metal, and hardcore punk? Thank you.

This is by no means a comprehensive introduction, but for hardcore punk, you need to at least check out Black Flag (Damaged), the Dead Kennedys (Fresh Fruit for Rotting Vegetables), Sick of it All (Blood, Sweat & No Tears) and Minor Threat (The Complete Discography).

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Raccoon Leaf posted:

Everything but True Stories.

I really didn't like True Stories at first, but it became one of my favorite albums after I saw the movie.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Electromax posted:

I'm loving Venetian Snares' album Rossz csillag alatt született, what are some others of his I might enjoy? I guess I like the odd symphonic parts more than the crazy break beats bits, and it seems like most of his library is the break beats stuff. Didn't like the sex noises CD. Does he have any others similar to this?

My Downfall is the direct sequel and very stylistically similar.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Iraff posted:

Where do I start with Talking Heads?

Stop Making Sense. If you like that, you can either look for the albums that have the tracks you like, or just go in chronological order.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

No i in Teamocil posted:

I don't usually recommend compilations as a good place to start, but their concert album, Stop Making Sense (soundtrack from the film), is about as good of an introduction as you'll get.

EDIT: Beaten. But I guess that just affirms my suggestion.

I wouldn't normally either, but that's one of two major exceptions (the other being the Buzzcocks' Singles Going Steady).

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

the Bunt posted:

Pre-Californication RHCP?

Blood Sugar Sex Magik. Not even a contest.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

wlokos posted:

I recently joined a band with a lead singer/songwriter who's obsessed with Bruce Springsteen. I grew up in a Springsteen-less household, so I've never really listened to him before. Where to start?

Chronologically.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

SMP posted:

Motorhead - I've got Ace of Spades already.

That, Overkill and Bomber are generally considered their best.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

the Bunt posted:

Dillinger Escape Plan puts on a loving awesome show but I've never listened to their studio work. What to do?

DEP has more or less two distinct periods in their work, an early one where they were just nuts, and a later one where they reined in the intensity a bit and started adding some melody. Calculating Infinity, their first album, is pretty widely considered to be the best of their early period, and the only two works they've put out with the more melodic direction are their other studio albums, Miss Machine and Ire Works. They have a new one coming out in about a week, so that might be worth checking out too. If you like Calculating Infinity, you need to hear Irony is a Dead Scene, which features Mike Patton on vocals.

Skilleddk posted:

Where shall I start with Godflesh? I'm not really a fan of metal, but I do like Justin Broadrick's sideprojects, so it's about time I got down to his main band. Especially since he announced a reunion this summer.

I really like his Jesu project, if it helps, with the self titled being the favorite.

Streetcleaner.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

the Bunt posted:

Iced Earth?

Something Wicked This Way Comes

quote:

Cynic?

They only have two albums....

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

insomne posted:

Rossz csillag alatt született

loving brilliant album. You also need the sequel, My Downfall.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

7734 posted:

What are the essential Bathory albums? Known about them forever, but have never got around to listen to them. Oddly enough Quorthon died on my birthday.

Blood Fire Death is definitely essential. People like the one before that as well.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

SMP posted:

What albums from The Kinks are worth listening to?

A lot of them, but The Kinks are the Village Green Preservation Society is an incredible album.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

CharlesWillisMaddox posted:

Where do I start with King Diamond? The only thing I listen to by him is Mercyful Fate.

Abigail.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

machchunk posted:

Alright, I have Therion's Sirius B...I know the obvious next stop is Lemuria, but how about after that? Is the death metal era even worth rooting through?

I don't think so, but you might. Your best bet is to work backwards chronologically and stop when you hear something you don't like. Definitely pick up Gothic Kabbalah if you like Sirius B.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Pope Guilty posted:

I've heard some Inkubus Sukkubus songs, and while I like them musically, the nattering on about paganism gets a little old. My favorite of their songs is "Belladonna and Aconite". Which album(s) should I get?

If you don't like the paganism, you're not gonna like any of the albums, cause that's kinda their thing. The albums I've heard tend to sound very similar from song to song, so you might want to check out their best of.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

insomne posted:

Rossz csillag alatt született and My Downfall for his stuff with modern classical in it (this is what most people listen to)

Is there more like this? I really like those two albums, but not so much the plain old breakcore stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Grimlook posted:

I want to get into power metal. I like the "epic" feel of some of the songs I heard. The only one I can recall the name is Dragonforce Through fire and flames (the guitar hero 3 one). I prefer the more melodic voices than the growling ones.

Listen to something by Stratovarius, maybe Dreamspace.