Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rebelliousjukebox
Oct 26, 2007

HAI posted:

Ape of Naples is great but pretty loose and druggy. I'd recommend Horse Rotorvator and Love's Secret Domain before it, they're not exactly "catchy" but more immediately accessible.

I'd add Scatology to Horse Rotorvator and LSD, those three are rather inseparable to me and make up the core of the first "phase" of their career - as a trilogy, those three albums are a totally unique and potentially life-changing musical experience, particularly when heard in conjunction with their respective remix albums (Gold Is The Metal, Stolen and Contaminated Songs). Scatology also has way more punk/dance overtones than the rest of their work, it being their first album, though the seriously Weird element of their work is still present in spades.

You might skip over the second phase of their career for now as it can be extremely alienating without being totally aware of the aims and intentions of their music (that and pretty much everything recorded between 1992 and 1999 is tainted and skewed by their coming off more hallucinogens and speed than you or I could possibly imagine doing in our lifetimes) and move right along to Musick To Play In The Dark, Vol. 1 for a taste of their later work.

rebelliousjukebox fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Feb 6, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rebelliousjukebox
Oct 26, 2007

quote:

Where should I start with Brian Eno's solo work? Or. Where should I continue to? I randomly got Ambient 1 and Another Green World after reading a quick overview of him and enjoyed both of them.

If I were just starting to get into Brian Eno, I'd begin with all his albums with Roxy Music before moving on to his "rock" albums (Here Come The Warm Jets, Before and After Science, Etcetera), then hit up his Berlin Trilogy with David Bowie (Low, Heroes, Lodger). He also did a fantastic job producing Q: Are We Not Men? A: We Are Devo! and the No New York comp. He kind of lost his game once the 80s kicked into full gear, though he recently did some great work on last year's Allure EP by Fovea Hex, featuring Robert Fripp; which reminds me, you really need everything those two did together, though there's a lot of it and I don't know if it would be a good idea to hunt it all down before at the very least hearing the Berlin Trilogy and his work with Roxy Music.

rebelliousjukebox fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Feb 6, 2008

rebelliousjukebox
Oct 26, 2007

Der Kommissar posted:

Nobody agrees on what the best Fall albums are, so the best plan is to pick up the excellent 50,000 Fall Fans Can't Be Wrong comp and pick out your favorite tracks from there. They've never made a bad album, so if there's a certain song (or group of songs) you like, pick up one of those. The Wonderful and Frightening World of the Fall is probably the best place to start if you don't want a compilation. I started with The Real New Fall LP...it's one of their newer ones, but one of the best, containing some great rock tunes and a lot of good electronic effects. And if you like that one and decide to get into the Fall, look forward to becoming broke ;)

50,000 Fall Fans Can't Be Wrong is probably the second best Fall Comp you can buy, the first of course being the 6 disc Complete Peel Sessions, which is what I started with. The trouble with that is you get used to the sheen of the Peel Session production values, and the militantly lo-fi nature of most of The Fall's output then becomes rather disorienting - while you can learn to love it, it's better just to jump into the sludge head-first and treat yourself to those more polished versions later. I'm not sure if I would start with The Wonderful and Frightening World Of The Fall, as it's a transitional album, moving away from the total loving genius of Grotesque, Hex Induction Hour, and Perverted By Language - I myself would start with those three instead, though you have to then deal with the issue of everything else being just slightly subpar. After the aforementioned early 80's material, they take a fabulously ironic populist turn over the course of Wonderful And Frightening... and This Nation's Saving Grace and start making pop tunes and even flirt with the whole goth thing for a bit on Bend Sinister, after which they went on to perform with a ballet troupe and cover Victoria by The Kinks - while this doesn't mean the music is any worse, it does mean it's dumbed down a bit, more so after Brix left Mark/The Band and all he could sing about for several albums (Extricate, Shift Work, and Code: Selfish, all of which have recently been reissued and probably constitute my second favorite "phase" of The Fall) was the breakup. He then lost the core of his band in 1998 (after getting locked up in NYC for physically assaulting his bandmates), which was a good thing IMO as they were starting to fray around the edges in their last few years. M.E.S. kind of floundered around for a while, then revamped The Fall into the new powerful Rock Machine heard on Fall Heads Roll, my favorite of the newer Fall material. In typical Smithian fashion he of course sacked that band within a year or two and picked up a bunch of amateurish teenagers from LA to be his new band for Post TLC...and so on and so forth.

Your best bet, if you really want to know what The Fall (my favorite band) is about, is to pick up their first couple albums (from Dragnet up to Perverted By Language, I'd say) and listen to them on repeat for weeks. The following three part essay from K-Punk will help you sort it all out:

Memorex for the Krakens: The Fall's Pulp Modernism Part I
Memorex for the Krakens: The Fall's Pulp Modernism Part II
Memorex for the Krakens: The Fall's Pulp Modernism Part III

rebelliousjukebox fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Feb 6, 2008

rebelliousjukebox
Oct 26, 2007

Nigel Tufnel posted:

Sunn O)))

No idea where to start. I think I'd like them though. Is their Boris collaboration highly rated?

Altar isn't a shabby album, but isn't really a good place to start with them and isn't really an accurate representation of what they're about. I'd start instead with the band that laid down the blueprints for Sunn O))) back in the early 90s, Earth. Their first two albums, Extra-Capsular Extraction and Earth II are both mandatory listening if you're looking to get into drone metal - their live album, Sunn Amps and Smashed Guitars is also pretty relevant, naturally. From there, I would look for Sunn O)))'s GrimmRobe Demos, Candlewolf Of Thee Golden Chalice (their peel session), and Flight Of The Behemoth, which is probably my favorite Sunn release and features Merzbow Merzbowing on two of the tracks.

After you've finished your homework with those, you'll be all set to appreciate Sunn's more recent material: White 1, White 2, and Black 1.

rebelliousjukebox
Oct 26, 2007

HAI posted:

gently caress the Sex Pistols.

Be careful not to write off Metal Box by Public Image Limited, though. John Lydon's voice is, when it comes down to it, one of the most iconic voices in punk, and Metal Box one of my favorite punk albums ever, even if it's more "post-punk" or whatever.

I'd imagine getting into punk music would be pretty difficult from scratch as you're going to have to listen to A LOT of loving music; I'd take it step by step starting with the albums Hai suggested, which were primarily released in the mid to late 70s, before moving on to the early 80s, when "punk" fractured up into hardcore (Black Flag, Minor Threat, Scratch Acid and The Minutemen are some of the best early hardcore acts) and post-punk (The Fall, The Birthday Party, Joy Division, and Public Image Limited are all essential listening). From there, I'd check out Sonic Youth's Daydream Nation followed by everything ever released by Fugazi.

Piece posted:

Where do I start with Shellac? (Does all of Albini's stuff sound like what I've heard off of 1000 Hurts?)

Don't start with Shellac, start with Big Black, Albini's first band. They've got two albums (in addition to a shitload of E.P.s and singles), Songs About loving and Atomizer, which together are unstoppable and an excellent place to start getting into Steve's poo poo. His next band, Rapeman, only put out one full length, Two Nuns and a Pack Mule, and it's inexpressibly awesome. Shellac is his 3rd band, and their first (and best) album is At Action Park. Terraform is their second LP and it's also very very good, though I definitely wouldn't start with it, as it's a bit more Out There than the rest of their material and takes some time to fully appreciate. 1000 Hurts and their newest, Excellent Italian Greyhound, are more masturbatory than the rest of his work, which is fine as he's getting old, but if you're starting out with that stuff you're going to have kind of a skewed perspective on his music.

rebelliousjukebox fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Feb 7, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rebelliousjukebox
Oct 26, 2007

monstertruckdriver posted:

I realize he's quite prolific and has a ton of bands, but what's a good starting point for Mike Patton?

Mr. Bungle. There are three albums: Self-Titled, Disco Violante, and California. It's all downhill from there, though I do like Fantomas if just for the sheer wow factor of Dave Lombardo, Trevor Dunn, and Buzz Osborne playing together. I'd start with The Director's Cut by Fantomas if you're not familiar with what they do (Delirium Cordia is probably their most difficult work and I wouldn't recommend it straight out) and for posterity's sake you should probably get a hold of Angel Dust by Faith No More as well (I'm not a huge fan, but I used to be and you might like them). Tomahawk is his fourth main project, and it kind of sucks, mostly because of Patton's painfully bad lyrics. The rest of his work mostly consists of one-off side projects, his E.P. with Dillinger Escape Plan (Irony Is A Dead Scene) and all his work with John Zorn probably being the cream of the crop.

Oh, and get the song Secrets 4 Sale off Down With The Scene by Kid 606 to hear Patton getting his rap on in fine form.

rebelliousjukebox fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Feb 10, 2008