Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ackapoo
Nov 15, 2007

fun leads to abortions!

stiknork posted:

Where should I start with Explosions in the Sky?

All of a Sudden I Miss Everyone is a good start. Then I would get into The Earth Is Not A Cold Dead Place, also a great album of theirs.

Pibborando San posted:

On a similar note, Thievery Corporation. Where to begin?

Start with The Richest Man In Babylon, it is their most accessible album I've seen. Then go with The Mirror Conspiracy > Sounds from the Thievery Hi-Fi > The Outernational Sound (probably one of their best compilation albums).

---

I'd like to get into Boards of Canada. I've already obtained The Campfire Headphase, so I don't know where to go from there. Any ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ackapoo
Nov 15, 2007

fun leads to abortions!

ThunderTung posted:

Spoon?

Start with Kill the Moonlight, then listen to Gimme Fiction, then listen to their most recent, Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga. Not sure if anyone else agrees, but that's how I listened to them.

ackapoo
Nov 15, 2007

fun leads to abortions!
Anyone know where to start with Jurassic 5 and The Roots?

ackapoo
Nov 15, 2007

fun leads to abortions!

insomne posted:

Where do I start with M.I.A.? After hearing Paper Planes, I have pretty much been listening to this song non-stop. I would love to find some more stuff from her or even something similar sounding to Paper Planes from another band as I haven't really heard anything that has sounded like it before.

Check out her first album, Arular. She also has a collaboration with Diplo called Piracy Funds Terorrism, but it's just remixes and one or two B-sides.

The only other person I can think of that is similar to M.I.A. in terms of sound and style is Santogold. I think she only has one album, her self-titled.

Hope that helps!

ackapoo
Nov 15, 2007

fun leads to abortions!

Fail-Bot posted:

I would usually judge a whole artist by their discography, but since I don't have the time/have lost my iPod, I need some direction for:

Mogwai

Happy Songs for Happy People is a fabulous place to start. You can check out Come On, Die Young or Mr. Beast next; either one will work.