Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

Got a recommendation from the rec thread so:

Where do I start with Dylan? I haven't liked most of his big songs that I've heard, but with over 600 of them I'm sure there must be something in there. Coming from Warren Zevon towards his stuff, looking for a feel like the album Excitable Boy and Splendid Isolation, Something Bad Happened to a Clown, Play It All Night Long, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

Haha, awesome!

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

Where do I start with Casiopea? They have a HUGE discography and it seems really varied, which is great, but intimidating to find an entry point.

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

screaden posted:

Chronological up to Mint Jams would get you to hear like, 90% of the good stuff and you get to hear the development of the songs and performances that get perfected on Mint Jams. There is a smattering of good stuff after that but it's severely diminishing returns the further you go on.

Awesome, thanks! Also, love it when you get the rare "you can just go in chronological order" band.

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

Where do I start with Garage Rock? Both the original 60s stuff and the 2000s revival?

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

Terminally Bored posted:

For the 50s-60s garage find all the volumes of Nuggets compilation. Find the versions with the longest tracklists, CD versions probably.

Nuggets is what basically brought garage rock to the wider audience. Pebbles compilations are pretty much sequels: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pebbles_(series)

For 90s-00s revival, it's a bit more complicated. For weird punk, check out Killed by Death compilation series: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Killed_by_Death_(albums). These are all bootlegs so sound quality may vary but the ones curated by Johan Kugelberg are the best.

I'd say the most important r'n'r-based garage rock bands of the 90s were Cheater Slicks, The Gories, The Oblivians (and all the Oblivians-adjacent bands with The Reigning Sound being the best) and The Spaceshits (and all the Mark Sultan/King Khan bands).

From 00s: Jay Reatard and all of his bands, Ty Segall, Eddy Current Suppresion Ring, The Hunches, The Ohsees (AKA The Osees, The OCS, etc.), Lamps, Black Time, Hank Wood & The Hammerheads. 90% of In The Red Records catalogue is just brilliant, that label set the tone for the whole genre in 00s and 10s.

drat, thanks for the incredibly comprehensive response! Excited to check all these out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

Where do I start with Thelonious Monk and Charles Mingus, respectively? For context, I'm not a huge jazz-head, I tend to like Japanese stuff from the 70s and 80s like Nio & Pigeon and Hip Cruiser.