Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SylvainMustach
Dec 12, 2007

Superior Trash Talk!

Nova Bizzare posted:

Sonic Youth.

Sister or Daydream Nation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SylvainMustach
Dec 12, 2007

Superior Trash Talk!

let's dance posted:

What about Boris?

Pink or Flood

Static Equilibrium posted:

Where should I start with Talk Talk?

Definitely Laughing Stock

SylvainMustach
Dec 12, 2007

Superior Trash Talk!

Mortigi Tempo posted:

How could I get into some good Shoegaze and Slowcore?

As they touched on with the Slowcore responses, I'd definitely recommend starting off with these two records.

Codeine's The White Birch

Low's Things We Lost In The Fire

Since I heard those two records I've been a complete sucker for any form of music where I have to find it's pulse.

SylvainMustach
Dec 12, 2007

Superior Trash Talk!

Ekplixi posted:

Where do I start with rap? I really like female MCs like Mary J. Blige and Lil Mama. I'm digging Mary's "Growing Pains" and Lil Mama's "Voice of the Young People". Not sure where to go from here.

As someone who's not a connoisseur of the genre, perhaps my outsider view will help.

As far as Female MCs are concerned I'd heavily recommend Missy Elliot (if for nothing else but Timberland's masterful production on all of her efforts). Under Construction continues to be my favorite and may very well be the best example of her career thus far.

If you're willing to move to Male based rap (and are looking for more contemporary work), I'd point you in the direction of Clipse (Hell Hath No Fury), Jay-Z (American Gangster, The Blueprint), Ghostface Killah (Pretty Toney, Fishscales) or even Lil'Wayne (Tha Carter, Vol 2.).

All things considered, you may want to go to the classics as well.
Wu Tang Clan-Enter the Wu Tang: 36 Chambers
Public Enemy-It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back and/orFear Of A Black Planet
Beyond that, there's a slew of other classics I either don't feel like typing, or haven't discovered yet.
Again, this is just my view from an outsider to the rap world. I'm still feeling my way through and enjoy getting surprised.

Oh, and get a Young MC compilation if you can.