Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Willie The Disk
Feb 1, 2008

btw the pumpkin is gay
Where do I start with...

Classical music?

Some good Fitzgerald scat? I have some on a tape in my car, but that's it. Or for that matter, any good scat.

Dub? I've heard the Skatalites thing for Studio One, and I rather like that.

Something glitchcore? Like, VSnares but more broken... I think that exists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willie The Disk
Feb 1, 2008

btw the pumpkin is gay
Mmm, I like what I've heard of Vivaldi and Chopin... usually listen to the latter while studying. And I like Requiem by Mozart, but I should listen to it more. I have a bunch of Bach and Beethoven, but have no clue where to start. I also hear Stravinsky's worth looking into... I think he was revered both by Frank Zappa and Tom Waits.

Willie The Disk
Feb 1, 2008

btw the pumpkin is gay

Boomzilla posted:

Where should I start with Tom Waits? I bought Real Gone a couple years ago on a whim, and I really like the songs where it doesn't sound like he's barking into a megaphone. "Green Grass" and "Dead and Lovely" are amazing.

Rain Dogs is where I started, and it's still my favorite album. Small Change is very good, though it's quite different from Real Gone. Judging by those two songs you mentioned, I would definitely recommend Alice.

Willie The Disk
Feb 1, 2008

btw the pumpkin is gay

mandruku posted:

So if hardcore punk is the other side.. What are some good bands to check out?

You need to obtain these albums...

Damaged by Black Flag
Minor Threat by Minor Threat
Bad Brains and/or Rock for Light by Bad Brains
Dance With Me by TSOL
Plastic Surgery Disasters by the Dead Kennedys
Complete Discography by the Germs
EP-LP by the Subhumans

Although those are more traditional Hardcore Punk albums... IMO. I Against I by Bad Brains is kind of like Punk/Metal fusion, so check that out too.

Willie The Disk
Feb 1, 2008

btw the pumpkin is gay

19charactersorless. posted:

Where do I start with... Afrobeat?

I got interested in it after hearing some Boredoms live concerts, if that's any help...

Well I know the best, and that's a Mr. Fela Kuti. Fela Kuti is amazing. Get Zombie, Expensive poo poo, and Confusion. He's so good. Beyond Kuti I don't really know much afrobeat, but that's definitely a drat good place to start.

Willie The Disk
Feb 1, 2008

btw the pumpkin is gay

KarateExplosion posted:

Where do I start with the blues? Like, blues with lots of really twangy guitar and lots of wah?

I don't really know much blues with a wah wah pedal... but I can tell you some good blues with harmonicas that kinda go wah.

Anyway, Howlin' Wolf is important, and pretty darn good too. Led Zeppelin, The Doors, Jimi Hendrix, Tom Waits, etc. all covered a Howlin' Wolf song here or there. Killin' Floor is amazing. The Chess Box set has most of the Wolf you'd want.

I'm a big fan of Robert Johnson too, and I'd highly recommend him. If by twangy guitar you mean old beat up guitar, yeah, Robert Johnson. Really desolate, sell your soul to the devil music. Just a sad, sad black man with a beat up guitar. Died at 27. And there's only 1 hour and 46 minutes of Robert Johnson recorded, most of it's the same chord progression, and it's all amazing.

Son House. I've had trouble finding a lot of his stuff, but he's something special. Like a more powerful Robert Johnson. A Best Of collection would do pretty good.

Howlin' Wolf is Chicago Electric Blues, and Robert Johnson and Son House are the Delta Blues. There's some sort of a start.

Also, the White Stripes are really based on this type of the music, for the most part. If you haven't looked past their radio hits, do so now. Grab De Stijl and their self titled.

Willie The Disk fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Feb 29, 2008

Willie The Disk
Feb 1, 2008

btw the pumpkin is gay

Uncle Meat posted:

Where do I start with rockabilly a la Th' Legendary Shack Shakers?

Fast and/or dirty (with punklike or bluesy influences) is my kind of rockabilly.

Um, have you heard of Psychobilly? Look into the Reverend Horton Heat. He's probably the artist closest to rockabilly who's labeled psychobilly. Fast, hard, and talented like no other. Then after that, psychobilly's stuff like Mad Sin and Demented Are Go. Not my cup of tea, but some people love it.

I think The Monsters are insanely good, and not just dirty, they're trashy. Sounds more like punk, but it's still based mainly in rockabilly goodness. I highly recommend them. They have some mp3s on their site.

Willie The Disk
Feb 1, 2008

btw the pumpkin is gay

Devil Wears Wings posted:

Another vague genre post, I know. But, where would I start with '70s (or '70s-style) funk? I've heard a lot that I like in the genre lately, but I don't know any band or album names.

I would recommend these albums...

Funkentelechy vs. The Placebo Syndrome and Mothership Connection by Parliament
Funkadelic and Maggot Brain by Funkadelic
I only truly have a few Best Of comps of James Brown, but he's the Godfather of funk, and with good reason. Daaaaammmmnnnnn boy, that's funky.
Fresh and A Whole New Thing by Sly and the Family Stone

By the way, Funkadelic's not usually that funky, but I think they get overlooked a lot and they're amazing, so check them out anyway. They're some of the grooviest stuff I've ever heard, and it's basically the same band as Parliament, who are the end all of funk, I think.

Uncle Meat posted:

Heard of psychobilly and heard the name Reverend Horton Heat in some context (I had forgotten that name though, thanks for reminding me). The only psychobilly I've heard is Nekromantix a few years ago, which was not my cup of tea. But still, keep 'em coming if you got them (recommendations, that is).

A few offshoots... if you haven't listened to Little Richard, I'd recommend some. It's basically original rock n roll that really rocks. Listen to the song Lucille and tell me that ain't something special. Also, Crime is a really great band from the 80's San Fran punk scene. They always considered themselves rock n roll though, not punk. Maybe check these guys out if you dig The Monsters. Punk attitude playing good ol' rock.

Willie The Disk
Feb 1, 2008

btw the pumpkin is gay

Xynobia posted:

Even though I prefer Dirty and Goo over Daydream Nation, conventional wisdom usually seems to be to start with Daydream and work backwards or forward from there. Forward if you want to get into the more conventional, grungy stuff of the early nineties, and backwards if you want some distortion and experimentation to start dominating the songwriting. Daydream is a great gateway album if you ask me, but like I said, I like Dirty and Goo more overall.

I disagree. I started with Daydream Nation a while ago. I liked it, but I never really went after Sonic Youth after listening to Daydream Nation. I recently picked up Washing Machine, then Goo, and I think they're far superior to Daydream Nation. Maybe some people should start with Daydream, but I for one didn't latch on to Sonic Youth at all until I heard Washing Machine. Probably depends on what type of music fan you are.

Willie The Disk
Feb 1, 2008

btw the pumpkin is gay

Boner Calhoun posted:

anything they released after Oh No! It's Devo! is pretty much poo poo and most fans try to pretend they don't exist.

Pretend what doesn't exist? Love the avatar, by the way.

Where should I start with post punk? I just got Television's Marquee Moon and I love it. I glanced at the Wikipedia article for Post Punk, and it's a bunch of bands I've heard of (Psychedelic Furs, Siouxsie and the Banshees, etc.), but it's always nice to have someone besides Wikipedia hold your hand. I already know and love Joy Division, since they were lumped in there, same with Throbbing Gristle, though how they fit there I don't really know.

Also, where should I got with No Wave? I really like early Swans and what I've heard of Sonic Youth, that being mainly Washing Machine and Goo. So... any recommendations? Thanks much.

Willie The Disk
Feb 1, 2008

btw the pumpkin is gay
Not a big Dead fan, but Aoxomoxoa is a pretty good album. I'd definitely check that one out.

Willie The Disk
Feb 1, 2008

btw the pumpkin is gay

Popcorn posted:

Can someone help me out with The Velvet Underground? I'm already somewhat familiar with them and have two of their albums (& Nico and Self-titled) but I'm confused about how a lot of their stuff was released.

For example, I really like the song Stephanie Says but I can't find it on any albums. (According to Wikipedia it was only released on some outtakes album in the 80s-- is that true? I always thought it was a single.) Are there are any compilation albums or something that would tie up the loose ends for me? Is the outtakes album worth getting is or the song available somewhere better?

Well, Stephanie Says is on the album VU, which is a collection of stuff recorded here and there, from my understanding. It's kind of like an unreleased tracks compilation, but it flows through like an album. It's more or less a studio album, only not recorded all at once. Grab it.

White Light/White Heat is one of the best rock albums of all time in my opinion, I'd highly recommend it. Their second, between VU & Nico and the self titled. It's the heaviest thing they ever did, but heavy in a Velvet Underground sense. Like I'm Waiting For The Man and Heroin combined... or something. It might take a few listens to get into, but when you're into it, you're into it.

Loaded is their 4th album, after the self titled. Meh, it's pretty good as far as music goes, but it's not the best as far as the VU go. Listen to it though, especially if you dig Stephanie Says.

Willie The Disk
Feb 1, 2008

btw the pumpkin is gay

let's dance posted:

What about Boris?

Yes. Boris is amazing.

The first three albums I got were Pink, Flood, and Vein, and I think they really show the range of Boris. I'd go Pink first, as it's the most conventional. For the most part it's just really good rock stuff. Flood is more psychedelic, it's like one long track that just builds and falls and is amazing throughout. I love it. Vein is one of the most hardcore things I've ever heard, but it's great.

But I think that's a pretty healthy start.

Willie The Disk
Feb 1, 2008

btw the pumpkin is gay

Forgone Conclusion posted:

Where do I start with Tom Waits?

Rain Dogs (1985)
Small Change (1976)
Mule Variations (1999)

In that order. IMO.

Willie The Disk
Feb 1, 2008

btw the pumpkin is gay

cryme posted:

Rain Dogs, yes. Small Change, not necessarily.

Basically you can't go wrong with Rain Dogs, Swordfishtrombones, and Frank's Wild Years - but if you don't like the style of any of those records, you might try Small Change.

Personally, I think it's better to get a good idea of an artist's range if you're starting out. If you're looking to start listening to an artist, to me it makes more sense to sample different styles than to get 3 albums that have more or less the same style and vibe. I love the Island Years albums, but they're much too similar for being representative of Tom Waits, in all that he is. I don't think anything off those albums would hint towards songs like The One That Got Away... though I guess most of Mule Variations is just more of the Island Years.

Willie The Disk
Feb 1, 2008

btw the pumpkin is gay

Dark Onion posted:

Any recommendations for Run DMC? I just listened to "it's like that" and now I have to find more.

Start with Raising Hell. Though It's Like That is off their first, self titled album.

Willie The Disk
Feb 1, 2008

btw the pumpkin is gay

Raccoon Leaf posted:

I'd love to know...
Where do I start with The Residents? Can you even get started somewhere with them??

Holy gently caress. From what I've heard, God in Three Persons, The Third Riech and Roll, and Wormwood are all pretty good and perhaps representative...? I've listened to them, and they're really interesting, though I by no means pretend to comprehend what the hell is going on. Definitely look into them though, and maybe those are a start...

Willie The Disk
Feb 1, 2008

btw the pumpkin is gay

Uncle Meat posted:

Might as well get some noise rock recommendations, while I'm at it.

Jeez, everybody wants to say something about noise rock. Well me too. Lightning Bolt is really good, check out Wonderful Rainbow or Hypermagic Mountain. I've heard The Velvet Underground and Sonic Youth described as noise rock if you're using the term liberally. Hmm, maybe check out Boris? I loving love Boris... but don't expect to nail down their style after having heard just 2 or 3 albums. They range from really solid rock to pretty slow and pretty stuff to some really loud noisy noise stuff. Yeh.

And seconding the Boredoms

Willie The Disk
Feb 1, 2008

btw the pumpkin is gay

Uncle Meat posted:

Heard everything but Lightning Bolt. Have you heard the live collaboration between Boris and good 'ol Merz, entitled Rock Dream? It's completely, utterly brilliant. Very recommendable.

I think I've heard every other collaboration between the two BUT Rock Dream. The one titled 04092001 is pretty good, pretty epic. Live, also.

Umm, I recently found out about Black Dice, and oh poo poo they're cool. Creature Comforts is the only album by them I've heard, but it's really something. Also, the Boredoms are good... check out Chocolate Synthesizer.

And have I said anything about/have you heard De Facto? It's the members of Mars Volta while ATDI was still a band, but it's just cool, effects-driven, experimental dub. Everything they put out is good in its own right (imo), so grab what you can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willie The Disk
Feb 1, 2008

btw the pumpkin is gay

Chinaski posted:

Thanks for the suggestions. I will check these out for sure.

I think I need to explore Merzbow a little more. I had checked out one track a while ago and it wasn't good. I can't remember the name of it unfortunately.

I like really aggressive sounding stuff, both in electronic music and rock. I'm not too keen on droning noise but I do like a "wall of sound" presence as well as the more manic stuff.

To follow up Soul Discharge, check out Seadrum/House of Sun. The B's not so good, but Seadrum is one amazing song. Just to give you a complete contrast to Soul Discharge just so you get to see their range.

Also, maybe look into some Black Dice. Kinda like Wolf Eyes on chill pills... or something. They're more on the Boredoms end of what you requested, so if you dig the Boredoms's noise stuff, check it.