Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uncle Meat
Feb 8, 2008

I will eat your children.
Where do I start with rockabilly a la Th' Legendary Shack Shakers?

Fast and/or dirty (with punklike or bluesy influences) is my kind of rockabilly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Meat
Feb 8, 2008

Dr. Platypus posted:

Gogol Bordello. I've listened to some of their songs on their Myspace and Youtube, but am looking to go a bit deeper. I'm only looking to pick up one or two albums at this point.

I think "Gypsy Punks: Underdog World Strike" is a winner (at least the best place to start). I haven't heard too much of their older stuff though.

Willie The Disk posted:

Um, have you heard of Psychobilly? Look into the Reverend Horton Heat. He's probably the artist closest to rockabilly who's labeled psychobilly. Fast, hard, and talented like no other. Then after that, psychobilly's stuff like Mad Sin and Demented Are Go. Not my cup of tea, but some people love it.

I think The Monsters are insanely good, and not just dirty, they're trashy. Sounds more like punk, but it's still based mainly in rockabilly goodness. I highly recommend them. They have some mp3s on their site.

Heard of psychobilly and heard the name Reverend Horton Heat in some context (I had forgotten that name though, thanks for reminding me). The only psychobilly I've heard is Nekromantix a few years ago, which was not my cup of tea. But still, keep 'em coming if you got them (recommendations, that is).

I'll check out The monsters as well. :)

Uncle Meat
Feb 8, 2008

Dorepoll posted:

Faith No More - Angel Dust is one of the best albums of all time. Pretty brilliant, being both weird as hell, but also having a ton of hooks and it rocks the gently caress out.

Mr Bungle - California would probably be the next one I'd get if you are new to it all. It pretty much tackles every genre, and invents a few of it's own.

Tomahawk - Mit Gas sits somewhere between the two albums. It's one of the very few straight up rock records Patton has done in recent years, but it's still got his unique flavour to it.

The rest is pretty much sorting through and guessing. Most of the collaborations are good if you are a fan of both Patton and the original artist. His work on Bjork's Medulla is pretty stunning.

I'd go for Mr. Bungle's self titled rather than California (although this is because I have a better relationship with the S/T), also, check out Fantômas - Director's cut, which is in my opinion the most accessible Fantômas album. Also, when you get into it, check out the Kaada/Patton collaboration. Otherwise what Dorepoll said. :)

Uncle Meat
Feb 8, 2008

The downward spiral is a safe bet. Then work your way in any direction.

Uncle Meat
Feb 8, 2008

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

I don't know much about their early albums, but my personal favorite Pink Floyd album is Animals. However, if you're just starting, you have to listen to the obligatory Dark Side of the Moon, and Wish You Were Here has a good mix of somewhat different musical styles.

This. Also, check out Piper at the Gates of dawn and A Saucerful of secrets, which is the most accessible of their early work. Also, Meddle and Atom Heart Mother is both wonderful albums although contains quite a bit of contemporary music and might not be as accessible.

Eventually, you should try to listen to everything up to, and (partially) including The Final Cut. One of their albums is bound to hit you. Hard.

Uncle Meat
Feb 8, 2008

I quite liked Adore as well.

Uncle Meat
Feb 8, 2008

hatelull posted:

Oh definitely, but it's not an album that I'd recommend to the casual listener wanting to get a snapshot of the sound that defined the band.

I agree. I just didn't want it to be written off entirely. :)

Uncle Meat
Feb 8, 2008

I'm mostly a fan of the good ol' prog rock, rather than the likes of Dream Theater and Symphony X (although, you cannot really call these prog rock).

For info on the genre, read on wikipedia.

A few albums I'd try out is:
King Crimson - In the court of the Crimson King
Genesis - Nursery Cryme (or Foxtrot]
Jethro Tull - Aqualung
Yes - Close to the edge

Also, check out Prog Archives, where you can find info and songs for streaming from a large numbers of bands and subgenres within the prog genre.

Uncle Meat
Feb 8, 2008

let's dance posted:

What about Boris?

Rock Dream blew me away on first listen. But it's a live collaboration with Merzbow and not a good starting point. Just kinda "swing by" it later on.

Forgone Conclusion posted:

Tom Waits

I'd say the first records on Island (Swordishtrombones, Rain Dogs and Frankie's Wild Years) are some of his best work. But if you want variation to go with that, I'd say Rain Dogs, Blue Valentine (or Small Change) and Mule.

Uncle Meat
Feb 8, 2008

Radio du Cambodge posted:

Destroyer? I enjoyed the latest release, Trouble in Dreams.

With such bands, always go old.:p

Uncle Meat
Feb 8, 2008

What should I check out if I like The Locust or Totalt Jävla Mörker? Might as well get some noise rock recommendations, while I'm at it.

Also, is The Locust's latest any good?

Uncle Meat fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Apr 25, 2008

Uncle Meat
Feb 8, 2008

WET BUTT posted:

The Boredoms' Pop Tatari is great

Have it, and yes it is. Although, it's the only thing of them I've heard. How are the rest of their discography?

WET BUTT posted:

Les Rallizes Denudes, Royal Trux, Jesus Lizard, Big Black, Flipper, Naked City, The Birthday Party, Half Japanese, and early Butthole Surfers

I am well versed in the early ways of The Bad Seeds. :p

I'll check out the rest, though. Any albums you'd recommend?

Technetium: I'll try to check out yours as well.

Uncle Meat
Feb 8, 2008

Willie The Disk posted:

Lightning Bolt is really good, check out Wonderful Rainbow or Hypermagic Mountain. I've heard The Velvet Underground and Sonic Youth described as noise rock if you're using the term liberally. Hmm, maybe check out Boris?

Heard everything but Lightning Bolt. Have you heard the live collaboration between Boris and good 'ol Merz, entitled Rock Dream? It's completely, utterly brilliant. Very recommendable.

Uncle Meat
Feb 8, 2008

Dr. Magnificent posted:

Yesterday I listened to Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds - Murder Ballads. I liked it a lot and was wondering where to go next.

Haha! Nick Cave and his shenanigans are amongst my favorite music.

Personally, I went from Murder Ballads to Henry's Dream. Which has kinda the same feeling. But it depends on what you like. His albums after (and including) Let Love In (which is one of my favorites) or The Good Son, is generally more accessible, while those before, although better in many ways, needs a bit of listens to get into.

If you want my advice, begin at Murder Ballads, then get the album before it (Let Love In) and the one after (The Boatman's Call) and work your way in each direction.

When your done with his discography, start listening to The Birthday Party.

Highlights include From Her to Eternity, Tender Prey, The Good Son, Live Seeds, Let Love In, Murder Ballads, No More Shall We Part and Dig Lazarus, Dig (the title track is awful, but the rest is quite nice).

Uncle Meat
Feb 8, 2008

viva posted:

I'd really like to get into Sigur Ros. Recommendations?

Start with (). Wait until evening, turn off all the lights, turn up the volume to 'loud but comfortable', lay down on a comfortable spot of your choice, close your eyes and listen.

Anyway, Takk is their most accessible album, ignoring their new one (but that one is quite different from the rest), then work your way backwards. Spend time on each album at least, to get the feel of it.

Uncle Meat
Feb 8, 2008

DrPop posted:

Where would I start if I liked Pretty Hate Machine, Broken and the Downward Spiral by NIN and I want to find music similar to it by different artists? I guess "where do I start with industrial" but hell if I know that's what people call it these days.

Ministry has already been mentioned. Go with Psalm 69 to start you off. Also, go for Skinny Puppy's VIVIsectVI or Too Dark Park. Front 242 brings oldies, but goldies, with their Front By Front album. Also, Einstürzende Neubauten with Halbermensch might fall into place.

Tweaker1 posted:

So, I heard a sonic youth song on the juno soundtrack and on I'm not there, and i'm digging those songs.
Where should i start with them albumwise.
It seems they have a big discography.

Not too familiar with them, but I have Goo and Daydream Nation, which both are great.

WantlessPonder posted:

Pink Floyd (already got DSOTM)?

The Wall and Wish You Were Here, then work yourself backwards.

Uncle Meat
Feb 8, 2008

MatCauthon posted:

Where do I start with Sigur Ros? I heard Sæglópur randomly the other day and it got me kinda interested.

The most accessible one, IMO, is Takk. From there go backwards to ( ), then Ágætis Byrjun and finally Von. Then the rest if you're up for it.

Uncle Meat
Feb 8, 2008

Which albums should I pick up from Muddy Waters?

Uncle Meat
Feb 8, 2008

Farts Domino posted:

actually I got confused and meant Amplifier Worship rather than Feedbacker (which I haven't heard)

You ought to check out Rock Dream with Boris and Merzbow. Live recording with Boris doing what they do best and Merzbow complementing with a bit of noise. I'm quite fond of it atleast.

Uncle Meat
Feb 8, 2008

mcvey posted:

How about Mogwai? Where would I start with them?
Boards of Canada and GY!BE are some of my favorite bands so... I've got that going for me. Which is nice.

I would say Mr. Beast is a good entry point. They're a bit "heavier" than the bands you mentioned though.

(With your tastes I would also check out the bands A Silver Mt. Zion and other bands from Constellation records. Also, if you like Mogwai, try (pretty much anything from) Explotions in the Sky.)

OrganicRobot posted:

How do I get into Current 93? I've listened to some of their stuff and it just seems like crazy poetry set against medieval music. Is that the point or something?

Not that into him, heard he put out quite a variety of different albums, but I would say All The Pretty Little Horses is a nice album to start with.

Uncle Meat
Feb 8, 2008

JnnyThndrs posted:

PS: Metal Machine Music works better as an instrument of torture than an actual musical creation

Coincidentally, Metal Music Machine is rather good. :eng101:

Uncle Meat
Feb 8, 2008

I'm really fond of 65daysofstatic, and looking for music similar. Any suggestions?

Uncle Meat
Feb 8, 2008

Rhg0061r posted:

Maybeshewill, and God Is An Astronaut for starters.

God is an Astronaut is slightly too post-rockish compared to what I'm looking for (at least what I've listened to). Misunderstand me correctly, they're a great band, just quite not what I'm after this time around.

I'll check out Maybeshewill though. :)

Uncle Meat
Feb 8, 2008

Amazon Review posted:

At the behest of my roommate, I've really been enjoying Can and Kraftwerk, particularly Can. Any recommendations for lesser known krautrock artists would be greatly appreciated.

Maybe not less known, but still:
Tangerine Dream - Stratosfear
Faust - Faust IV
Amon Düül II - Tanz Der Lemmings
Popul Vuh - Hosianna Mantra

Also, I'd recommend this one hour long documentary, if you find the music interesting. You might even pick up a few new bands:
Krautrock: The Rebirth of Germany (I found it in its entirety on Vimeo, but they seem to have removed it, so an Youtube link will have to suffice.)

Uncle Meat
Feb 8, 2008

Anmitzcuaca posted:

Not really where do I start, but where do I go next with Philip Glass? I already have the Orage Mountain Music Philip Glass Sampler vol. 1 and Solo Piano.

Koyaanisqatsi. Watch the movie.

Uncle Meat
Feb 8, 2008

Where do I start with Eldkvärn, Fläskkvartetten/Flesh Quartet or any of Freddie Wädling's other projects?

Uncle Meat
Feb 8, 2008

7734 posted:

What are the essential Bathory albums? Known about them forever, but have never got around to listen to them. Oddly enough Quorthon died on my birthday.

Do the self titled as well as the ones above. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Meat
Feb 8, 2008

Where do I start with the Residents?