Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pat Clements
Feb 10, 2008

Warszawa posted:

That's basically the perfect place to start :)

Continue to Here Come the Warm Jets, Taking Tiger Mountain, and Before and After Science for his pop output, go for Music for Films, Apollo, and Thursday Afternoon for ambient work (imho)

Truth be told I get really sick of his pop work because I feel like he can't find direction and purpose by himself, a lot of it feels incredibly shallow to me. I think they're all genius albums, but I like him a lot better when he's working on something ambient or on putting a perfect polish on another group's work.

Ok now somebody tell me how to listen to The Who
Go with Who's Next first. Excellent, excellent album. At any given moment in time at least one radio station somewhere in the world is playing a song from it, and for very good reason. While some argue over whether it's their best, it's easily their most accessible.

From there, I'd head to Tommy. It's a great concept album (though even Townshend has admitted he doesn't really think the story makes sense), but it's also got some shining tracks like Pinball Wizard that stand up well even viewed out of context.

If you pick any album they released from 1965 to 1974 it's guaranteed to be very good at the minimum. Depending on your tastes you'll like some more than others, but if you like Who's Next and Tommy you'll enjoy at least large chunks of every one.

Don't touch Face Dances, Who by Numbers, It's Hard, and Who Are You until you've exhausted their earlier stuff. They all have some bright points, and some people love them, but they're not particularly accessible and a decline in Townshend's songwriting and the band's tightness is definitely evident.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pat Clements
Feb 10, 2008

Jinnigan posted:

a friend sent me this over youtube and i need more

i don't even know what genre of music it is, oh god
It's pretty much gypsy music. That particular song is on the Borat soundtrack, oddly enough, which is a good introduction to that sort of sound.

For a really consistently good group you can't go wrong with any of what Fanfare Ciocarlia has put out.

Pat Clements fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Apr 3, 2008

Pat Clements
Feb 10, 2008

Vinylgroover posted:

Where do you ya'll reckon I should start with Electric Light Orchestra or Sufjan Stevens?
ELO fans have wildly different opinions about most of their albums, but I would urge you to start with Eldorado, work forward chronologically until you get to Time, and then go back and explore their first three albums. Leave the post '81 stuff for the end if you're really dying for more. That should introduce you off the bat to the style of poo poo they're famous for - you know, the punchier, more classically-infused theatrical rock, work back towards stuff that edges toward prog, and leave the heavily disco-oriented things toward the end.