Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

The self-titled debut is essentially perfect - though there's a few different "this one includes this extra track, this one has a different extra, etc." variations between pressings and regions. they're all great.

The second record isn't perfect, but it's still very good.

everything else is one-offs and b-sides, apart from their unreleased early-80s album which finally got out in the late 90s, which I haven't heard.

hexwren fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Jun 19, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

The three 90s records: Debut, Post, Homogenic.

She's never really done a bad album, but she has gotten more esoteric over time, so into the 00s and later it gets weirder. She's one where it's reasonable to go chronologically.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

vespertine is fantastic, but I still would say listen to it fourth

i can't imagine getting through homogenic and being like "okay I'm done now" and not going to the next one, but i am just talking about the starting place.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Fighting is my favorite TL record (it's the one immediately before Jailbreak), and Cold Sweat, off that aforementioned Thunder & Lightning record, might be my single favorite track of theirs.

just good stuff up and down

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

if you don't want to start with albums, you could do worse than the red and blue compilations they put out in the seventies

but yeah, otherwise, the whole thing pivots around revolver

before, more rock and roll (rubber soul and earlier)
after, more psych (sgt. pepper and later)

there's experimentation before revolver and rock tunes afterwards, of course, but yeah

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

the farthest anyone needs to go with ringo's solo stuff is what george wrote, so "it don't come easy" and "photograph"

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Wilbur Swain posted:

No, Mystery Girl is the great swan song for Roy Orbison. You should keep Roy Orbison's name out of your mouth if you know so little.

tbf, mystery girl is also part of the jeff lynne extended universe

also, i really like "I drove all night" and that didn't come out until the odds and sods record after mystery girl so maybe slow down

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Except for Heros, which I think was a cover?

okay now this is trolling

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

ExecuDork posted:

Ah, fond memories of being woken up way too early during a camping trip age 13 or 14 by a crappy CD player blasting out Jesus Built My Hotrod, and better memories of a couple of years later when I could blast Just One Fix way too loud from a crappy factory-installed car stereo.

OK, switching gears here: The Pogues - should I just start with Rum Sodomy & the Lash and go from there?

And another one: INXS?

pogues: the first one isn't bad either, and waiting for herb (one of their last ones, without shane) is one of my favorites, so don't fall into the myth of "it's a band of guys propped up by a genius"

inxs: i like the earlier stuff better than the later stuff, i think "don't change" was one of the best singles anyone cut in the decade, but the kick LP from a few years later is the big big big hit record, and i do like it more the older i get...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

fartknocker posted:

Similar to adding Do the Neurotic to Invisible Touch.

what would you swap it for?

my pick is anything she does, as much as i like a fast, fun horn chart

and yeah, that's with full knowledge that I'm preserving both of the ballads on the record. I'm a sucker for a love song and for tony's synth tone on in too deep