Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Nose
Mar 28, 2009

Everyone talks about Numan's WARRIORS album as being his all-time worst, however I think a lot of that comes from the absolutely idiotic cover art (ridiculous even by Numan's own lousy cover art standards)-- He's trying to butch it up by wearing Road Warrior-type studs 'n' leather, against a post-apocalyptic background. But instead of coming off tough, he's like a wimpy little kid running around in his superhero Underoos. It's so laughable that you're immediately biased against the album and likely to dismiss the whole package as worthless without even listening to it.

Music-wise, though, I don't think it's particularly worse than, say, I ASSASSIN or THE FURY... Yeah, I know, faint praise, but it's not as terrible as the STRANGE CHARM/OUTLAND/MACHINE AND SOUL trilogy of suck.

Also, if you're a fan of Bill Nelson, you'll probably enjoy WARRIORS more. He produced, plays some guitar and does a bit of singing; a couple of the tracks sound like they could have come off of one of Bill's own records. Bill had his name removed from the album credits because the boys had a falling out.

Gary Numan posted:

It seemed as though our reasons for even breathing were completely opposed to one another. At one point we were talking about why we were in the business...[Nelson] told me that all creative people pick up beams of inspiration from across the cosmos and we channel it into creative art and we do what we do for the people. I said, 'That's complete bollocks,' and it all went downhill from then on really, as we began to grate on each other quite badly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Nose
Mar 28, 2009

Can anyone tell me about The Motet?

Sir Nose
Mar 28, 2009

Lots of good Kraftwerk talk.

Henchman of Santa posted:

Funkadelic - Maggot Brain
Parliament - Mothership Connection
Funkadelic - If you're coming at this knowing George Clinton only from Flashlight/Atomic Dog slick funk, Maggot Brain may be a bit of a shock. For some, it might be better to start with One Nation Under A Groove (which contains a live version of Maggot Brain's title track) and work back. Follow with Standing On The Verge Of Getting It On, and then Maggot Brain.

Parliament - Mothership Connection is crucial; Funkentelechy Vs. The Placebo Syndrome is also an excellent place to start. I find Clones of Dr. Funkenstein rather disappointing.

Sir Nose
Mar 28, 2009

Looks like all the older Funkadelic albums on the Westbound label are readily available, but the four later albums released on Warner Bros (Hardcore Jollies, One Nation Under A Groove, Uncle Jam Wants You, and Electric Spanking of War Babies) are MIA on Itunes/Spotify. I thought George had finally secured the rights to those four, so maybe he himself is withholding them, but there's other stuff he owns outright (like First Ya Gotta Shake The Gate) that is available, so I dunno what's going on...

EDIT: I found all the Parliament albums except for Osmium on Spotify. Osmium (the very first Parliament album) is on a different label from all the others. It's loving strange and awesome, very very weird and totally unlike any other Parliament album.

EDIT #2: News flash: http://www.reuters.com/article/us-spotify-ipo-warnermusic-idUSKCN1B42P4?il=0

If the Warner Funkadelic albums are still controlled by Warner, looks like they'll show up on Spotify. No idea what this means, if anything, for iTunes

Sir Nose fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Aug 25, 2017

Sir Nose
Mar 28, 2009

Henchman of Santa posted:

Is Go-Go actually worth listening to? I had never even heard of it until the Foo Fighters Sonic Highways show (lol) and it seemed interesting, but I read recently that you really had to be there and see it live, which is why nobody outside of D.C. seems to listen to it. The most popular Go-Go albums on RateYourMusic have about 80 ratings.

Does anyone know where to start with this subgenre or should I not even bother?

Depends on how you feel about extended grooves and vamping; actual song structure is pretty minimal. It is best live; check out one of Trouble Funk's live albums-- Live or Saturday Night Live; you'll figure out pretty quickly if Go-Go is for you. If you like it, move on to Chuck Brown.

Sir Nose
Mar 28, 2009

Tell me about Radar Bros! I have Fallen Leaf Pages and like it lots. Comments on the rest of their catalogue? Similar bands?

Sir Nose
Mar 28, 2009

El Gallinero Gros posted:

TMBG

Flood, maybe?

Sure. Then work backward before you go forward.

Sir Nose
Mar 28, 2009

ultrafilter posted:

Glassworks and the Koyaanisqatsi soundtrack are two of his most famous works.

Yup, and I'd definitely add The Photographer soundtrack also. I was fortunate enough to see the show back in the day, and it was stunning. Mishima soundtrack has its moments too.

I also like Passages, his "collaboration" with Ravi Shankar (they cover each other's compositions)... It's not as exciting as the idea may initially suggest, but it has grown on me over the years. Your mileage may vary.

Sir Nose
Mar 28, 2009

XBenedict posted:

Journey is at the top of my “bands that wrote a metric poo poo ton of fair to middling songs that I can’t stand hearing any more because the radio beat me to death with them” list.

Sir Nose
Mar 28, 2009

ultrafilter posted:

I know David Byrne's had a long solo career, but has any of the rest of the band been recording?

Upthread there's David Byrne vs. Tina and Chris talk, overlooking poor Jerry Harrison. Jerry's put out I think three solo recordings, but has been quiet in recent years. I really like The Red And The Black, demonstrates that he was an important contributor to TH, not just a hired guitar. Jerry was one of the original Modern Lovers, too.

And then of course there's the classic "5 Minutes" by Bonzo Goes To Washington, Jerry's collaboration with Bootsy Collins.

Sir Nose
Mar 28, 2009

Beatles controversy aside, is Klaatu worthwhile?

Sir Nose
Mar 28, 2009

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Bumping this request because I know one or two of you nerds is a Laswell appreciator.

Where does one start with Bill Laswell? That's like asking where one starts with food, or books. The scope of his work is staggeringly vast and varied. Nobody likes everything Laswell does, except maybe for Laswell himself. Even the biggest Laswell fans still hate some of the stuff he's done.

You're sort of better off selecting a genre of music that appeals to you, and then exploring what Laswell has done within that genre, because if you can think of it, he's surely dabbled in it. And you'll find his contributions are intelligent, well-crafted, respectable, and eminently worthwhile. But then that will lead to his genre mash-up and dub projects, and that stuff gets very weird and we're back to flummoxed.

So, that said, Deconstructed-The Celluloid Recordings is a pretty good selection/overview of the earlier years, when he was into only a million different things (as opposed to the billions now). But beware, if stuff there grabs you and you decide to explore further, you could be in for a surprise... Laswell has groups supposedly devoted to different musics (Massacre, Praxis, Material), but even within the groups' recordings, the albums can vary wildly in style. I have a bunch of Material releases, they all sound different from one another, and different from the Material tracks on this compilation. What's the connecting thread? Who knows? Bill does, I guess...

I most enjoy Laswell's collaborations with the P-Funk crew (big surprise there, considering my username/av); he's coaxed really creative work from them in recent decades in a way that George Clinton seems no longer able to do. Axiom Funk Necronomicon is a really good compilation of that stuff if you're into it, but it's more focused, not as far-ranging in styles as Deconstructed.

Then, search him on Bandcamp, there's gobs of his stuff there to explore. Good luck.

EDIT: tldr, pfft you're on your own

Sir Nose fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Aug 1, 2021

Sir Nose
Mar 28, 2009

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

I'm a big P Funk fan, so I'll dig into that.

In addition to the Axiom Funk compilation, check out these too:

Zillatron - Lord of the Harvest, Hardware - Third Eye Open, Bernie Worrell - Blacktronic Science, Bootsy's Rubber Band - Jungle Bass, Praxis - Transmutation (Mutatis Mutandis), Maceo - For All the King's Men, Material - The Third Power

Sir Nose
Mar 28, 2009

^^^ This and Psychedelic Jungle is where I began, worked out well.

Sir Nose
Mar 28, 2009

My Lovely Horse posted:

While I'm at it - Simple Minds?

New Gold Dream and Sparkle In The Rain. If you like those, work backward until you don't like what you hear. Once Upon A Time was such a ghastly disappointment after Sparkle that I bailed on Simple Minds, so can't say anything about subsequent work.

Sir Nose
Mar 28, 2009

Lahar posted:

100th window is also really good and pretty underrated. So basically every massive attack album has its merrits

Yeah I like 100th Window a lot too.

Sir Nose
Mar 28, 2009

The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway is my fave Peter Gabriel Genesis, and I suppose Abacab is my fave from Phil-led Genesis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Nose
Mar 28, 2009

ultrafilter posted:

Psalm 69 first, then Land of Rape and Honey and The Mind is a Terrible Thing to Taste if you want more.

Yeah, these are the big three, not much of interest after that. That said, looking earlier, I am fond of Twitch. It hits a techno sweet spot that I enjoy, between the dire synth-pop of With Sympathy and the aggression yet to come.