Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
I've always been interested in checking out The Residents but their catalogue is just huge. I just want to to check out the studio albums at the moment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
So I guess this isn't necessarily a where do I start, but a what should I stay away from in Bob Dylan's catalogue

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

Pigeon Shamus posted:

As a big Neutral Milk Hotel fan, I would like to know where I start with The Elephant Six Collective, NMH excepted?

It's generally considered that the Apples in Stereo and The Olivia Tremor Control(OTC) were alongside NMH as the frontrunners for that collective

Personally I like OTC a bit more because it's a bit more experimental and less "bubblegum" than the Apples in Stereo

Another favourite is early of Montreal, particularly Cherry Peel and Gay Parade (my favourite of Montreal album)

A LOT of the other bands in the collective are off shoots of these few bands with different members (although they get interchanged a lot also) so basically go with which member you like and explore their other side bands

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

Traffic Reporter posted:

I went through this whole thread and I didn't see it, so, where do I start with The Black Keys?

Rubber Factory and Magic Potion. If you like Rubber Factory more, work backwards to Thickfreakness and The Big Come Up, if you like Magic Potion move forward to Attack and Release and Brothers (although I thought Brothers was a HUGE letdown)

Alternatively, if you like a funkier more hip hop angle, you could get Blackroc, which is a hip hop album with Black Keys providing the music

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
Where do I start with The Pogues?

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
How about Van Morrison? What are the essential albums? I know Astral Weeks is one of them, but reading through Wikipedia, all the albums seems to have a decent to excellent rating so I'm not sure what else to get

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
How about Kraftwerk? Trans-Europe Express seems like the go to by all accounts but what are the other essentials?

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
What about the moody blues? I really like Nights In White Satin but that's about as far as my knowledge goes

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
What are the essential Hall and Oates albums? I pretty much like all their singles if that helps any, I don't mind a bit of 80's cheesiness

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
edit

Nevermind, very first post

screaden fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Jun 20, 2012

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

regulargonzalez posted:

What about David Bowie? I know that's a tough task since he's had at least as many major phases as there are decades in his career. All I really know of him are his singles, but my favorites that I've heard from him are Modern Love and I'm Deranged. If there's a few different ones I should pick up for the various phases that's fine too.

Not often one would say their favourite Bowie song is I'm Deranged. That was from a relatively unsuccessful part of his career, where he went all industrial/drum and bass on everyone, however that's not to say it was a bad phase. The album that I'm Deranged is from is Outside, which is actually pretty good, it's a bit long and has a lot of filler, but the actual songs themselves are very strong, in particular, The Heart's Filthy Lesson and The Voyeur of Utter Destruction, but the album itself can still be a slog to listen to. If you still want to go that route, pick up Earthling as well, which is one of my favourite Bowie albums, even if it's only for Little Wonder and Seven Years in Tibet.

If you want to go down the Modern Love route, you could get the album that it's from, Let's Dance, which was one of his most successful periods, mostly because the singles from that album were very radio friendly. It's not particularly challenging, but the songwriting is still really strong. For some alternatives to that I'd recommend Scary Monsters (and Super Creeps) or Young Americans as they both have a more commercial, new listener friendly approach to the songwriting.

For what are considered the absolute Bowie classics, you have Ziggy Stardust which was his glam rock era, then Low, which is pretty much the peak of Bowie for most people, which came in the Berlin era of albums which he did with Brian Eno

Alternatively, anything from The Man Who Sold the World up to Let's Dance is excellent. Just stay away from Tonight and Never Let Me Down until you've listened to everything else

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
Johnny Cash anyone? I've heard his "American" series of records, but would like to explore his earlier career

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

alnilam posted:

Where do I go next with the Propellerheads, if the only album I know/love is Decksndrumsnrocknroll?

That's all they've got, except for a few eps which I think is mostly remixes anyway

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
After hearing the GTA V score by Tangerine Dream, I went to listen to more because I was always kind of aware of their existence, but never really bothered to follow up, especially because sorting through their discography just seems like a futile task. And now with the recent passing of Edgar Freuse it seems like a good time to have a good crack. Anyone got any tips?

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

How about starting with Bowie? Late last year, I bought The Man Who Saved The World because I really liked the track 'Saviour Machine', but I haven't tried any of his other stuff (of course, I know about Golden Years and Changes).

I'm a huge Beatles fan, and I've gotta say: Bowie is interesting. His music contains a lot of unexpected chord changes and flourishes. Very few of his songs go in the direction you were necessarily expecting.

I did a longer effort post much earlier in the thread, but the easiest way would be to pick up a greatest hits compilation (I'd say this one because it has stuff from every album), then take note of the songs you like most and listen to the albums they're from, he went through a lot of styles so there is lot of ground to cover. There isn't really a bad period for me, but most people would agree you can skip from anything after Let's dance up to Earthling or Tonight

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

MrSargent posted:

Posting for the third time in a row, but whatever. I have to be doing something wrong, but I looked up One Nation Under a Groove on iTunes and the album doesn't appear to be available? They seem to have every other Funkadelic album but not that one, which doesn't seem right.

The rights to older PFunk albums are all hosed up because George Clinton spent most of that time completely loving high at every turn and one of the managers was doing a bunch of dodgy stuff on the sly and then just hosed off to never be heard from again. Like I still don't think he has control over all his material so it probably has something to do with that

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
Skull Snaps

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

owl_pellet posted:

I've been searching off and on for something very specific for years but the problem is that I'm not really sure what I'm looking for. Every now and again the Dillinger Escape Plan puts these really awesome jazzy interludes into their songs and I would like to find more music like that. This is what I'm talking about :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEDlO-jRNZo&t=86s

^^ runs until ~2:06 ^^

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkhoaBLQ6go&t=149s

^^ runs until ~3:29 ^^

Is there a sub-genre of jazz that goes lighter on the brass (vocals and/or keyboard/piano would be OK) but retains the technical mastery that jazz (and DEP) is known for? If so, what is it called and where do I start?

Fox capture plan maybe?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFstP0C9sVk

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
How about Dr John? I really enjoyed Locked Down when it came out but never thought to check out anything else

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

Psyber Spine posted:

I've recently become obsessed with this song by Minyo Crusaders called Tanko Bushi (Boogaloo) that I heard a while ago on BBC radio 4. Does anyone know what genre of music this is or know of something similar? I love the variety of instruments used and the lively feel of the music. It gives me a warm feeling, like I'm walking through some lively summer festival.

There are lots of minyo crossover bands out there but not a lot that incorporate Cuban/Latin sounds in the same way. There are a ton of jazz funk crossovers where they do Japanese folk songs in a jazzier style. Try some of these

https://youtu.be/tvpsDwP4bj8

https://youtu.be/6E-v9K0zzVU

https://youtu.be/tQdwV2fZyvM

https://youtu.be/AZQ-6N1vk3Y

Eri Chiemi also did a series of folk song albums with the Tokyo Cuban boys too but I can't find samples on YouTube but they're available by...other means.

https://www.discogs.com/Chiemi-Eri-...elease/10151719

Oh and this isn't quite jazzy or funky but if you want Japanese folk festival sound you can't go past Shoukichi Kina

https://youtu.be/DiXBxqJUyfo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

Strange Cares posted:

Where do I start with Casiopea? They have a HUGE discography and it seems really varied, which is great, but intimidating to find an entry point.

Chronological up to Mint Jams would get you to hear like, 90% of the good stuff and you get to hear the development of the songs and performances that get perfected on Mint Jams. There is a smattering of good stuff after that but it's severely diminishing returns the further you go on.