Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

ConradPoohs posted:

What Gary Numan albums should I get besides The Pleasure Principle? I just got that one, and am enjoying it a lot.

Jagged, Hybrid and Pure. Really dark, really bitter, really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

Voodoofly posted:

Where would I start with Neurosis and Godflesh/Jesu? If it helps I've been listening to Oceanic by Isis (the band) quite a few times again recently and Neurosis and Godflesh keep popping up as influences for them (Neurosis as an Oakland band has been on my list for a while anyway). Any other bands/albums you think are worth calling out are appreciated as well.

Jesu's self titled album and Lifeline EP are my two favorites of theirs, if you have to pick one then the self titled release, some really good tracks and interesting textures.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
The first album is a pretty solid pop album with a great Smiths cover, the two followups are OK but the Russian versions have more character, are sequenced differently and have some cool weird interludes that aren't on the Anglo versions.

There's also the incredibly bizarre t.A.T.u/Rammstein mashup album put out by MTV Russia that also has some Clawfinger and Limp Bizkit mashes chucked in. If you like "Moskau" off Rammstein's Reise Reise you'll probably dig that too

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Pink was my gateway to Boris, I definitely prefer their droney stuff to the rocky stuff.
The Altar collab with Sunn0))) is one I really like too. I'm not a huge fan of the latter, there's nowt wrong with them but I have to be in the right mindset for it, whereas the additional musicality added by Boris really clicks for me.

The production on that album is great too; I remember reading a review, probably in Metal Hammer or Terrorizer, that described it as "crawling out the speakers" and it really does- there's a spacial depth to it on a par with Trent Reznor's best works that makes it the audio equivalent of Sadako, fully 3d.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
STP are one of few bands of that era that never really grabbed me, however I do really like Big Empty off The Crow OST.

Which, along with the Spawn and Judgement Night soundtracks, is a great jumping off point for a whole lotta music.

That said, I loving love the live performance of Time Baby III by Medicine on the Crow movie, but the OST and any other versions I found never came close :( I spent literally years tracking the one Medicine album I could find at all down and about £30 to have it imported. Its a decentish album but that brief performance of Time Baby III is so good I think anything would be a disappointment.

Apropros of nothing, and because I'm thinking about 90s female fronted alt rock linked to movies, Joydrop are pretty good. If anyone likesFlyleaf still, or Garbage, then you should also give a go to Joydrop

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Check out Onyx's "bacdafucup" if you haven't already. It's a similar East Coast dusty vibe, and is also lairy as gently caress.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I really love "I'll Sleep When You're Dead" and "Cancer 4 Cure". Really off-kilter records, almost a series of vignettes/short stories like the best of Aesop Rock's stuff.
Habeas Corpses off ISWYD, Tougher Colder Killer, For My Upstairs Neighbour and Stay Down off C4C are top picks.
Don't sleep (no pun) on the Cannibal Ox record El P produced either

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
As Aesop Rock has already been covered beautifully;

El-P's I'll Sleep When You're Dead and Cancer 4 Cure albums.
He also produced the Cannibal Ox record which is pretty decent, as is Funcrusher Plus by Company Flow which he was part of.

Outside of that, Dan the Automator related albums (probs best known in the mainstream for collaboration with Gorillaz);

-Handsome Boy Modelling School "So how's your girl"
-Deltron 3030 "Deltron 3030"
-Lovage "Music to make love to your old lady by" (Mike Patton/Jennifer Charles on vocals)

And finally

Dr Octagon "droctagonecologyst" is a must hear, Kool Keith at the top of whatever weird game it is he plays