Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Voodoofly posted:

I'm looking for some advice on Neil Young. I like Neil Young, but I don't know him well enough to know his different periods/styles/etc more than just that I've heard them over the years.
In addition to everything that has been mentioned, and seconding Zuma, I recommend Year of the Horse, which features a great live version of Dangerbird, and for something slightly unusual check out Mirrorball, which is an album Neil Young recorded together with Pearl Jam (although it doesn't explicitly say so).

the Bunt posted:

oh, and Tom Waits?
Tom Waits has basically had two musical careers: for ten years he played relatively soft blues-rock music, and starting with Swordfishtrombones he started playing the kind of music he's known for these days. For the early stuff I'd recommend Closing Time, his first album, or an album with later re-recordings called The Early Stuff, and Heartattack and Vine. Obviously you should take a look at Swordfishtrombones for an example of the later Waits, and if you like it also Rain Dogs and Frank's Wild Years - those three albums are generally considered a loose trilogy.

Later Waits also started getting into theatrical performance, which spawned three albums that I know of: The Black Rider, Alice and Blood Money, with music from plays based on Wagner's Der Freischütz, Alice in Wonderland and Georg Büchner's Woyzeck respectively. Personally I'd recommend Blood Money, it's what got me into Tom Waits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

dailydares posted:

Where should I start with NoMeansNo?
I'd recommend Wrong, Dance of the Headless Bourgeoisie and Why do they call me Mr. Happy?. If you like the Ramones or just simple 3-chord punk in general, also check out their Hanson Brothers albums, in particular Gross Misconduct.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

m0therfux0r posted:

I've stayed away from Neil Young for a long time, mostly because of disliking his voice, but I know there is material of his I would like, and probably would eventually get past the whole voice thing. He has too many highly rated albums for me to decide which one to start on. I know that "After the Gold Rush" is usually listed as the best, but I'm not sure if that's the one for me.

I'm into the more guitar-centric stuff, so I'd likely want to start with a Crazy Horse-heavy album. Which one rocks hard enough/has enough melody so that I can get past his weird-rear end voice? (I'm also kind of embarrassed to ask this because I have tons and tons of music and I feel like I should have attempted this years ago.)
There's a bit of Neil Young advice just one page back from your post. :) Starts here.

In addition to all that I'd say, go for the live albums, specifically Year of the Horse, Live Rust and Weld in no particular order, and if you like particular songs, branch out to the albums they were originally on. (Kind of relying on the assumption that being into guitar-centric stuff includes long, feedback-driven solos here.)

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Seconding that you should start with the first four Ramones albums, then keep going until you have enough, but instead of compilations check out their live albums. As much as they were a singles band they were a live band, if not more so. It's Alive is excellent and basically a best of the first three albums, Loco Live collects later stuff as well (and, incidentally, marks the point after which their album stuff really started scraping the bottom, i.e. everything from Mondo Bizarro on), and We're Outta Here is a recording of their last show. Which I personally don't like that much cause Joey's voice is quite seriously on its way out (:v:).

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I don't know a lot about krautrock, but I do know that Amon Düül II's Phallus Dei is pretty drat good.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

3/4 of those go to songs, for one thing :v:

Unknown Pleasures is as good a point to jump in as any. It's iconic, easy to procure, and if you don't like Unknown Pleasures you won't like much of what else Joy Division have to offer.

If you do, get Closer and a Best Of collection like Substance or the 2008 Best Of Joy Division. If you're still hungry for more then, go on Discogs and see what you're missing from the early singles, cause you'll be 90% of the way to a complete collection. Unless you want to get deep into like alternate takes and demos but eeeh (although the TV version of She's Lost Control, from a show named Something Else, is extremely good, check that out on youtube).

One slightly obscure release is a self-titled compilation from when they named themselves Warsaw. It's more straight punk than their later typical sound but there's good stuff on there.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

evilpicard posted:

Also where do I start with neofolk
Pretty much Current 93, Sol Invictus and Death In June.

For Current 93 I'd start with Thunder Perfect Mind. That's also right in the middle of what I'd call their neofolkiest period, which ranges roughly from Imperium to Soft Black Stars. Everything from that period is pretty great, so if you like Thunder Perfect Mind you can pretty much just oscillate back and forth in their chronology until it gets too industrial or too ambient for you. Use the list of primary albums on their wikipedia page as a guide, they infamously have a shitton of releases.

For Death In June I'd say But, What Ends When The Symbols Shatter?; or this youtube playlist of a 2002 live show actually makes for a very good starting point too.

I feel like I shouldn't fail to at least mention the genre's association with right-wing ideology, whether through fanbase or artists. It kinda comes with the territory of thematically dealing with paganism, occultism, esotericism, runes etc. Not unlike getting into black metal, you're inevitably gonna run into some dodgy stuff. Maybe leave Death In June alone right from the start if that's a dealbreaker issue for you.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Nirvana had all of three studio albums. Nevermind or In Utero are probably where anyone starts. If you dislike one, I don't think the other will convince you.

With live albums and compilations, everything issued after the 90s strikes me as an after-the-fact cash-in. If you like Nirvana you'll at least want to give the unplugged one and Incesticide a spin, some really good stuff on there.

They're like Joy Division: legendary status, if you really really like them you can go in almost infinitely deep with unreleased takes and demos and B-sides, but not actually all that much output in their time.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Man with Hat posted:

This actually made me think of Joy Division, a band I've heard one fantastic song of but nothing else. What's the best album to start with them? Also I very recently saw the video your avatar is from because of your avatar so thanks for that as well.
:v:

As it happens I posted about Joy Division previously and I'd still say the same:

My Lovely Horse posted:

Unknown Pleasures is as good a point to jump in as any. It's iconic, easy to procure, and if you don't like Unknown Pleasures you won't like much of what else Joy Division have to offer.

If you do, get Closer and a Best Of collection like Substance or the 2008 Best Of Joy Division. If you're still hungry for more then, go on Discogs and see what you're missing from the early singles, cause you'll be 90% of the way to a complete collection. Unless you want to get deep into like alternate takes and demos but eeeh (although the TV version of She's Lost Control, from a show named Something Else, is extremely good, check that out on youtube).

One slightly obscure release is a self-titled compilation from when they named themselves Warsaw. It's more straight punk than their later typical sound but there's good stuff on there.
One thing to note, a lot of the iconic Joy Division stuff is in fact in singles. Also if your one fantastic song is Love Will Tear Us Apart, you're in for a surprise with how bleak the rest of their material is.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Certainly a much better rockstar name, that's for sure.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I agree with all the Waitsposts so far, but maybe a slightly different take: Night on Earth Tom Waits sounds just about like Just Plain Tom Waits sounded in '92 when the film was made, in terms of albums that would point you towards Bone Machine and The Black Rider. The loose trilogy of Swordfishtrombones/Rain Dogs/Frank's Wild Years laid the groundwork for that kind of sound, and everything from Mule Variations on takes it further in the same direction.

My own venture into his stuff went something like Night On Earth > Mule Variations/Alice/Blood Money > earlier stuff in no particular order. It's served me well but was also mostly influenced by what was out at the time. But I'd also say a Tom Waits soundtrack will have a lot in common with a Tom Waits theater/musical album, so do check out The Black Rider, Blood Money and Alice in particular.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I'm at best a very casual Motörhead listener but I really feel like it's gonna be Ace of Spades

e: that's either kind of a dumb non-answer or I'll have picked up on it through sheer cultural osmosis :v:

While I'm at it - Simple Minds?

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Jan 17, 2022

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

The more I think about it the more I'm inclined to say you can pick up any album and it'll be its own thing unlike any of the others, but still mark a point in a very clear progression.

What have you heard by him so far and what do you generally like?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

MmmDonuts posted:

Might be too broad, but Post-Rock?
Dirty Three

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Stick with the Danzig era stuff, but Famous Monsters does have some halfway catchy tunes if you're interested in what they sounded like in that period.